PDA

View Full Version : Solo 1v1 test: combatting the Ki-61-I-KAID Hein

Warhawk
06-10-2015, 14:18
Today I got off work early and had some time to spare, so naturally I thought of Wings of Glory. It has been some time since I've got a game in and even a solo run game helps alleviate the desire to play, if only for a brief period of time ;).
I decided to make a couple quick games rather than take out all the planes and have at it. I just recently bought the Ki-61-I-KAID aircraft and as has been mentioned before, this is armed very heavily. So I opted to see how she handles in AI hands (still rather afraid to see what a human pilot might do with it). I think the AI do better when there are more than two planes in the area, such as more targets to choose from but at any rate here is the report:

My first game consisted of my taking control of a P-40E. I find the maneuvre decks are very similar, with the Ki-61 having a slightly sharper turn. I decided to start head to head with the first scenario.

I decided not to take him head on and banked hard left instead, hoping that I had enough room to stay out of range of his guns.

It worked! Might have been by a lucky roll (the AI didn't use the sharpest turn he had available).

The 6 .50's can also pack quite a punch. Then the circling game began. After, of course, I miscalculated my immelmann turn.

After a few mistakes (again due to AI control). I gained the upper hand. Had it been a player they would have likely outturned me and I would have had to try and reposition.

I scored a few more hits and managed to take him down without taking any damage.

Conclusion, first encounter is considered a success. I played it safe and avoided the enemy guns while taking advantage of my opponents mistakes. Certainly a preferred method. This will however become increasingly difficult if one applies any of the following changes.
1) changing AI moves that seem to make little sense (such as going straight while in the middle of a turning battle, you could follow it up with an immelmann or replace the card with the appropriate turn.
2) replacing the AI with a player controlled aircraft.
3) Adding more enemy and allied aircraft, thus presenting more opportunities for the Ki-61 to bring it's cannons to bear.

I realise some people have made house rules concerning the cannon and you are welcome to give input on how you like to handle this aircraft. This was simply my first intro to it as I held off on buying it when it first came out.

STAY TUNED for FM-1 Wildcat vs Ki-61 KAID.
Any votes for which you think will win? The Wildcat will be controlled by myself, and the Ki-61 by AI again.

Warhawk
06-10-2015, 14:20
Reserved

Tonx
06-10-2015, 16:02
The Kawasaki KI-61-I-KIAD Hien ... D Token Distributor. This is what makes this aircraft so deadly ...

Good to see you playing a Solitaire Session and then providing an AAR on here. I have just returned from playing a 2 hour Solitaire Session down at my FLGS.

Hien vs Wildcat: Not sure who will come out on top. But looking forward to finding out :thumbsup: :)

Warhawk
06-10-2015, 17:26
Thanks Barnaby, how'd your 2 hour session go? I think I may have spotted some photos earlier.

Tonx
06-10-2015, 18:36
Thanks Barnaby, how'd your 2 hour session go? I think I may have spotted some photos earlier.

I did post some photos on here earlier in two locations. Being able to play Wings of Glory Solitaire shows just what a versatile wargame this is. Ironically I should have played for longer but I got talking to another game player at my FLGS and this delayed my start time. With him being into Warhammer 2040 we were talking about how Glory works Solitaire but W2040 and Bolt Action both do not. Plus how Glory still beats the living daylights out of PC gaming all the time even without an opponent - as I then went and demonstrated. As you too are demonstrating here in the same way. For some reason even though it works perfectly well people appear to prefer playing against opponents instead of playing Solitaire - as you show going solo does not hurt and can in fact produce excellent learning opportunities ready for when one next plays against an opponent.

Today's skirmish was between the Yakovlev Yak-1 and Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II: Brand new entrant into my :minis: collection versus latest repaint. I am still very impressed with the way you brought down a KI-61 (KIAD) fighter with that P-40E of yours - excellent spot of flying there :salute:

Warhawk
06-11-2015, 15:58
Ah those are another two aircraft that I haven't collected. My attention typically being towards the Pacific Theatre. When I get caught up on the others I want I may branch out some more!

Any thoughts from others on which aircraft will come out on top? Wildcat vs Hein. The mission is done, just have to post the AAR.

Dwarflord22
06-13-2015, 18:55
Nice solo AAR :thumbsup: Thanks for posting! :thankyou:

Flying Officer Kyte
06-14-2015, 04:35
AAR is good.
Solo fighting can be great fun, especially when you can share it with other members.
Thanks for posting Wes. let's have another.
Rob.