PDA

View Full Version : Target: Observer Balloon!

Wolfbiter
09-27-2010, 15:59
AFTER-ACTION REPORT

From: Lt. Blenkins, Intelligence Officer, RFC 29th Squadron
SUBJECT: Actions of Lt. Benjamin and Flying Officer James during encounter with observer balloon over Cambrai.

Sir,

On 23 September 1917, Division HQ telephoned our aerodrome to report heavy shelling of friendly troops advancing toward Cambrai. 12th and 17th battallions reported artillery spotters aloft in a balloon were directing fire on roadside infantry coordinates, resulting in heavy casualties. Our CO ordered two scouts piloted by Lt. Benjamin and Flying Officer James loaded with incendiary rounds and sent aloft with orders to destroy the observer balloon.

Lt. Benjamin led the pair in an approach from the southwest at high speed in order to avoid enemy ground fire and positioned himself and FO James to attack on a vertical axis from aft of the balloon, with each scout attacking along the left and right flanks respectively. However, Benjamin's efforts to evade antiaircraft fire forced the pair to take a less direct flight path while setting up their approach, enabling German infantry to identify and report their position. A pair of Fokker Dr. Is was dispatched to intercept them. The two Fokkers, approaching from the North, moved into a position to open fire on James and Benjamin in a head-to-head interception course.

Benjamin signaled to his wingman that he would remain on the attack run. FO James accelerated and moved high and to the right of the balloon in an effort to draw the attention of the enemy aircraft. As Benjamin brought his fighter around the balloon's left tailfin, he successfully targeted it with several bursts of gunfire, igniting a fire along the left aft flank of the target. However, Benjamin was forced to break off and roll abruptly in order to avoid a head-on collision with both Fokkers, which shot past, both firing at Benjamin but failing to inflict serious harm on him or his aircraft. Lt. Benjamin reported that the Fokkers, rather than splitting up to pursue himself and James separately, immediately executed simultaneous Immelmans in tight formation to reverse direction and pursue his aircraft. Though the identity of the enemy aircrafts' squadron could not be confirmed, I suspect based on the partial description of the fighters, their performance, approach vector and time of arrival that James and Benjamin were facing veterans of Jagdgeschwader 1, known commonly among our forces as the "Flying Circus" of Captain Manfred Von Richtofen.

One Fokker continued to engage Benjamin from six o'clock position. Lt. Benjamin was forced to break left away from the balloon and attempted evasive maneuvers to shake his pursuer. The second Fokker then climbed directly above the balloon in order to locate and engage FO James, who had brought his aircraft around and was attacking the starboard bow side of the balloon. As luck would have it, the damage from the previous fire started by Benjamin combined with James' attack to ignite the flammable hydrogen keeping the balloon aloft, resulting in an explosion that engulfed the gasbag.

Both James, who was scarcely twenty metres from the target, and the second Fokker flying above the balloon suffered damage from the pressure wave and outpouring of flame that followed. Pursuant to mission orders, James and Benjamin immediately disengaged at full speed back towards our lines, their primary mission accomplished. I would like to note that despite the damage to his aircraft, FO James remained in the area long enough to lure both Fokkers into pursuit in order to allow Benjamin additional time to make his escape, and took heavy fire from the enemy in doing so, as the lead Fokker, perhaps in an attempt to salvage something after the balloon's destruction, made every effort to bring James' plane down with extremely heavy fire. Fortunately, the superior speed of FO James' scout enabled him to outdistance the pursuing Fokkers, and both pilots returned to base with no serious damage or injuries.

Both pilots performed with exceptional courage and diligence in the successful prosecution of this mission. I am requesting that a confirmation of a joint balloon kill be logged in their records, and a recommendation for an official mention in dispatches for the valor of FO James. Given that this was only his second mission as a member of 29th Squadron, his conduct in defense of his wingman was in the highest standards of the Royal Flying Corps. Captain Faversham has attached a separate application for a commendation for both flyers. (See attached file).

Respectfully,

Blenkins, G.B., IO, 29th Squadron.

(NOTE: This was our second game played last Thursday, with both myself and Dave Zee taking a spin in Dr.Is against our friend and new player James and Dave Zee's son Ben. Balloon-busting missions are very exciting. Along with my previous dogfight (See my "Mission 4: Combat Evaluation") I think this was one of the two most enjoyable games I've played so far...especially when the balloon blew up with Dave Zee and James in proximity!)

KiltedWolf
09-27-2010, 16:20
Outstanding write up; felt like I was there in the cockpit!

I too love balloon busting missions -- more so than my squadron mates! :rolleyes:

I may have to borrow your style and start keeping AA reports of our flying.

Cheers!

DaveZee
09-27-2010, 17:24
Another great job, Dave! I have to admit, our coordinated immelmans, without prior planning, was my favorite moment of WoW yet, followed by the arcing manuevers we pulled in the prior sortee... Thanks for confirming our games were as cool as I thought they were! :)