PDA

View Full Version : Three 190s vs. three 51s

Franco Lucchini
05-06-2015, 21:08
Six of us met at AI this evening to play two games of WGS with Mike's new planes and game mat. Mike likes the powerful mid-war planes. Three of us took the P-51s, the other three took the FW-190s, started on the long edges, and went at it.

Long story short, a single mat is too small to play on, IMHO. It was a rodeo after the second turn. Maybe I just prefer my 4'x3' piece of tan cloth, but players (after over a dozen games, we're still learning) tended to fly off the edge by pulling the Immelman/Split-S too late.

Lesson learned: Mike is going to have to buy at least one more mat.

Once again, me without my camera.

CappyTom
05-07-2015, 02:27
I agree with you Allen on mat size. I think you need at least 4 Ares mats or a 4' x 6' area. I use my friends mats that he makes.

:thumbsup:
Thomas

Franco Lucchini
05-07-2015, 13:24
That is a beautiful mat Thomas. Much nicer than my 3'x4' fabric.

gully_raker
05-07-2015, 21:40
:cheezy: Yes the WW2 birds need plenty of space especially the new faster ones.
I have used a blue single bed sheet for over the water Pacific games & that works well on a 6 x 4 table.

tikkifriend
05-07-2015, 23:49
I do the same Baz and for BoB Channel games.

CappyTom
05-08-2015, 02:36
Here is some from my BoB mat.

I don't think the picture does it justice. Luis makes some cool mats.
:pint:
Thomas

Franco Lucchini
05-08-2015, 06:24
The mat looks nice Thomas. You can almost hear the waves crashing on the cliffs of Dover, under the screaming engines.

Might give the girls some fabric paint this weekend and let them have a go on a sheet.

Franco Lucchini
05-08-2015, 07:34
:cheezy: Yes the WW2 birds need plenty of space especially the new faster ones.

Probably why my mates are asking to bring the Gladiators and CR.42s back out.

Tonx
05-08-2015, 07:58
Probably why my mates are asking to bring the Gladiators and CR.42s back out.

As far as I am aware both the Gloster Gladiator and Fiat CR.42 are still in production ... In terms of manoeuverability they are indeed the best of the WW2 range for this - for example no other types of WGS aircraft can turn a right-angle. Anybody looking for these :minis: will find them all in stock with Keith at AA or find them available on both sides of The Pond on E-Bay.

Would I recommend purchasing these :minis: to a friend? YES I would - My WGS playing career began with Gloster Gladiators :thumbsup:

To stay on topic I think three Fw190D-14s vs three P-51D Mustangs has to be one of my favourite shooting scenarios or situations so far. Played two such scenarios with the help of a friend providing enough aircraft consoles to operate six aircraft like this. Mind you a two on two can be exciting enough should there (like with me) only be four aircraft consoles available. I have also deployed the Fw190D-14 x 2 against the Spitfire Mk IX x 2 on two occasions with very pleasing results in terms of gameplay / game length. My next venture will be a two-on-two in which the P-51D Mustang x 2 is deployed against the Nakajima KI-84 Hayate x 2.

Franco Lucchini
05-08-2015, 09:38
As far as I am aware both the Gloster Gladiator and Fiat CR.42 are still in production ... In terms of manoeuverability they are indeed the best of the WW2 range for this - for example no other types of WGS aircraft can turn a right-angle. Anybody looking for these :minis: will find them all in stock with Keith at AA or find them available on both sides of The Pond on E-Bay. [/I]

I agree, the WGS biplanes are a lot of fun! I personally have three each of the Norwegian and German paint jobs. Feeling the need to buy more... You can also find a lot of scenarios out there involving them (I'm just starting to scratch the surface). Maneuverability is awesome. They quickly get outclassed in both speed and firepower. Fun to seem them chase a Stuka, and get tied up against later planes.

Franco Lucchini
05-08-2015, 09:47
To stay on topic I think three Fw190D-14s vs three P-51D Mustangs has to be one of my favourite shooting scenarios or situations so far. Played two such scenarios with the help of a friend providing enough aircraft consoles to operate six aircraft like this. Mind you a two on two can be exciting enough should there (like with me) only be four aircraft consoles available. I have also deployed the Fw190D-14 x 2 against the Spitfire Mk IX x 2 on two occasions with very pleasing results in terms of gameplay / game length. My next venture will be a two-on-two in which the P-51D Mustang x 2 is deployed against the Nakajima KI-84 Hayate x 2.

Back to our regular program... I felt kind of bad flying three of each. It was the extent of Mike's budding collection, and there were 6 of us, but I would've preferred 2vs.2 or 4vs.4, to better emulate 2-man-flight tactics. As it was, we were a bunch of amateurs with hot engines and too many guns. Game ended quickly (and badly for most of us)...

Look forward to your P-51D vs. KI-84 experience.

I've tried a Spitfire IX against a Hayate - almost too easy turning inside the clumsy KI-84 dragster.

CappyTom
05-08-2015, 14:06
Andy is the one that got me hooked on the WWII bi-planes. You have modern day combat with a bit of nostalgia thrown in.
;)
Thomas

Lt. S.Kafloc
05-08-2015, 16:29
Then Taranto at Origins is for you Thomas, it's all biplanes.....at night, searchlights, AAA, torpedoes and ships!

Tonx
05-09-2015, 06:35
Look forward to your P-51D vs. KI-84 experience.

Just played a two-on-two Nakajima KI-84 Hayate vs N A P-51D Mustang fight: I'll keep it brief so as not to hijack thread / wander off-topic too far. Was well worth the wait in terms of experience and how worthwhile this was as a gaming experience. Using a 120 cm x 120 cm gaming mat the fight began with all four aircraft facing each other positioned in all four corners of the mat. In terms of firepower the two types of aircraft were equal but in terms of manoeuverability the P-51D very quickly gained the upper hand and maintained this throughout. There was one Boom Card token to report drawn by the second P-51D Mustang during Turn 7. The first P-51D Mustang went on to survive the fight but only just (two damage token points remained) which lasted for just under one hour's duration. Opponent: Live - this was not played Solitaire.

Would I recommend this scenario to a friend: Yes - as mentioned this was well worth the wait and a good learning experience.

This thread has prompted me to suggest a two-on-two Fw190D-14 vs P-51D Mustang as the next game I play with this Opponent whose never played such a scenario before. Told him to read here before our next WGS Session for a good idea of what to expect :thumbsup: