PDA

View Full Version : Camels and Fokkers and Snipe, Oh MY!!

Goering Ace
09-23-2010, 09:36
It was a routine scouting run for the group of Fokkers. Goering, Richthofen and Kemf were flying in formation, looking for enemy planes to take down, when they spotted three shapes closing fast in the distance. As the objects closed, they recognized two Camels (Barker and Elwood) and a Snipe (Ryrie). Game on!! As the planes approached each other, Richthofen and Kemf split to the left (to set up the right turning fight) while Goering slipped to the right, separating from the Dr.I's. As the planes closed Goering surprises the Allied planes by banking hard left to fall in behind the Dr.I's, while Kemf and Richthofen bank hard right to face the Snipe. The Baron takes the lead and takes an unfortunate head on pass at the Snipe, unloading a burst into Ryrie which results in a gun jam. The Snipe returns fire as the two planes pass. Kemf, following behind the Baron, has blocked aim and no shot. Meanwhile, Goering goes head to head with Elwood and catches fire after both planes score hits. Elwood, meanwhile suffers his own gun jam in the pass.

At this point, all hell breaks loose. Planes are everywhere, dodging, weaving, diving and climbing!! The sky is filled with lead as the planes soar past each other, trying desperatly to gain position while avoiding the enemy.

Goering's buring, Elwood and Richthofen are desperately trying to clear their jammed guns and noone seems to be able to gain position for more than a second or two. The Dr.I's climb while the Snipe and a Camel Split-S, the planes essentially switching places!! Chaos ensues as a turning fight unfolds with the D.VII, Kemf, Ryrie and Barker. Goering expertly maneuvers behind Ryrie, and peppers his plane full of bullets. Ryrie's Snipe billows black smoke and trails out of sight, heading toward the green countryside. But the kill came at a great cost to Goering. He suffers a crucial gun jam and he's now surrounded by angry Camels who look to avenge the demise of their fallen leader!!

Meanwhile, Richthofen has suffered heavy damage and has climbed to a safe altitude where he surveys the situation, watching for a chance to swoop in and score a hit. Kemf has suffered little damage and heads for Barker, who has also suffered heavy damage. A quick burst from his guns downs the wounded Camel, leaving just Elwood to face the three Fokkers.

Richthofen, seeing an opportunity, dives quickly toward Elwood, anticipating his retreat. But what's this?! Elwood isn't fleeing!! Much to Richthofen's horror the Camel turns in his direction, gaining postion and firing a volley of lead into his already wounded plane!! The Baron's plane falls from the sky, leaving Goering and Kemf to face the revenge driven Camel.

Elwood, undaunted by the 2 to 1 odds heads for the remaining enemy Fokkers. Goering, despite heavy damage of his own, takes the challenge and quickly maneuvers onto Elwoods tail, hammering the Camel with a shower of bullets. Much to his amazement the Camel is still flying!! Elwood pulls an Immelmann and returns fire on Goering, causing his plane to shudder and smoke. Soon, Goering is out of the fight as he struggles to keep control of his planes as it quickly loses altitude. With any luck he might be able to make the crash landing. Goering is down and out, leaving only Kemf and Elwood.

With Goering down, Elwood's vow of revenge is fullfilled and, seeing that his remaing opponent is relatively unscathed, turns his plane and heads for the safety of his home territory. The slower Dr.I has no chance of catching him and he too turns and heads home. As Kemf flies off, he makes note of the distinct markings on the top wing of the Camel. "We'll meet another day", he mutters to himself as he disappears into the distance, "that is a promise" . . .

One of the many crazy battles that Hunter and I have fought recently. :)

Scott

DaveZee
09-23-2010, 09:45
That was an exciting battle! Thanks for the report.

Wolfbiter
09-23-2010, 10:25
Brutal!

Hamburger
09-23-2010, 12:57
Great read!

gregbond77
09-23-2010, 14:15
Thanks for the report. Well written, good read.

Aero825
09-24-2010, 13:36
The Baron's plane falls from the sky, leaving Goering and Kemf to face the revenge driven Camel.

Grrrrrrrr....:mad:

Gauntlet
09-24-2010, 18:27
I enjoyed reading your combat report Scott. Nice pictures too.

Oberst Hajj
09-24-2010, 22:21
Nice report and photos. The official mats really add a nice feel for the game don't they? You guys need some Gimble Mounts to really make the action come alive on the table top now!

Jäger
09-25-2010, 05:14
Good job!