PDA

View Full Version : When do you call it quits?

Mac
09-23-2010, 07:15
I know Charlie3 and I are of the same mind on this (scary), it is a game after all, but when do you call it a day and fly "home"? Half damage, 2/3, three to go?
I usually stay until the mission is ACCOMPLISHED, if possible.
Of course if I am alone in the Camel and find all four D-7s swarming about, I am going to scram! Or a flaming mass of fabric and wood I might turn around. . .

Dom S
09-23-2010, 07:26
Best bet is to play an ongoing campaign - you'll find you're suddenly a lot more circumspect....

DaveZee
09-23-2010, 07:29
So far, I've only played single games, so I haven't taken much ownership of my aircraft. I fight to the bitter end. Now, we are working on rinning a campaign, so I'm sure I will be looking at what my odds are, and will consider a hasty rearward advancement if outgunned or on fire. :)

Goering Ace
09-23-2010, 07:46
My son and I have differing opinions on this, and believe me we've discussed it often. My mind set was fight to the bitter end, no matter what. But then again, there was no ongoing mission so it didn't really matter what happened. I just liked the fight. Hunter chose to cut and run if he dropped to maybe 2 or 3 points left. Now I'm trying to establish more permanent pilots, so I'm trying to keep them alive. In this case, I tend to cut and run if I hit 3 or less, but I may stay and fight if I feel the other plane is equally battered or I have good positioning.

A quick note, one of my greatest victories was in my Goering D.VII where I was down to only 2 points left while my son had 12. I didn't give up, managed to gain his 6, and eventually downed his plane with just the 2 hit points remaining.

Scott

Mac
09-23-2010, 08:02
Sure a campaign situation would be cool and a totally different mind set, just getting a gauge to see where others are.

LGKR
09-23-2010, 08:20
Turn and run as soon as you are in a range stick from the enemy. :D

I know this sounds like a joke, but unfortunately Mac, Charlie3 and I have played with few players that seem to do just that.

I usually stick to the 3 points or less rule, especially when I'm shooting for ace status. Thats how I got my current triple ace.

"You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em. Know when to walk a way, know when to run"

Coog
09-23-2010, 08:39
It may also depend on what you're flying. Disengaging with a fast plane like a SPAD is not so difficult. But if you are in the slow Fokker Dr1, you might have to hang in there and fight. Pilots of the Camel equipped 148th Aero said that the Camel was too slow to run away so they had shoot down all the enemy aircraft in order to make it home.

Oberst Hajj
09-23-2010, 08:42
One off games it's to the bitter end. In the campaigns, if the mission is decided one way or the other I'll consider bugging out at 4 points or less. If the mission is still in the balance, I tend to be more cautious, but I stick around until either the job is done or I'm done!

Charlie3
09-23-2010, 10:02
I'm with LGKR on the 3 and out idea. When I get close I try to work my way to the outside where I can run. Our League keeps track of kills, and aces so there is a reason to not fly untill you die. However just like the real events, no matter how well you fly you can always draw those 4's and 5's all together. I once took 11 points of damage on a 13 point plane in one game turn. (3 maneuver cards) I also survived that sortie with a kill, so you never know!

Hamburger
09-23-2010, 13:21
In the Red Baron movie, (I quote it too much, it's where all my WWI dogfighting tactics are from. :rolleyes:) Manfred said, "There is a difference between cowardice and cleverness, when outnumbered, run. You and your airplane are not cheap or easy to replace." or something like that. :D

Mac
09-23-2010, 16:29
Well, I know it is a game but I get a bit on edge when I see my mates bugging out after a few passes because of moderate damage.
Don't get me going on protecting the bombers. . .