PDA

View Full Version : Maneuvers HR for Acceleration & Turns (WIP)

Gallo Rojo
09-22-2010, 07:54
Ciao! :)

General Idea:

Completely fascinated with this great game, but somewhat frustrated with (a) the poor maneuverability of SPAD XIII and Alvatros DVa, and (b) the lack of acceleration rules, a friend and I are considering some house-rules in order to solve that.

First we thought about using the acceleration rules of Dawn-Of-War for our WWI biplanes, but we don’t like counters and we like the 3 maneuvers so we discarded that idea.

So we developed the following house rules:

Every time a plane performs either a ‘Stall’ or a ‘Climb’ maneuver it may slow-down (it made sense to us).

At such slower speed, the plane can perform tighter (and slower) turns. Hence, the pilot may choose to do so by picking a maneuver card from another deck that allows him to perform a tighter-slower turn.

Sequence for Slow-Speed Maneuvers:

1st Maneuver: Stall or Climb card

2nd maneuver: low-speed maneuver (strait, turn, or ‘wave’ from another deck, or from custom deck)

3rd maneuver: any non-steep maneuver at regular-speed.

Note #1: we are considering that low-speed maneuvers are kind-of steep maneuvers: after doing a slow-speed one the plane may loose some stability, so it needs to do a non-steep maneuver at full speed in order to regain it. In practical terms that means a plane cannot do more than one slow-speed maneuver per turn.

Note #2: making a slow-speed maneuver after a stall or climbing is not mandatory. The pilot may choose to take advantage of having slowed-down from previous maneuver and doing the slow-speed maneuver… or he may choose to speed-up again and perform a regular full-speed turn, straight, ‘wave’, or whatever.

Let see an example:

Let’s say I’m playing an Alvatros DVa (deck B).

I’m planning my three maneuvers:

1st Maneuver: ‘Stall’ (from deck B). Now my plane has slowed-down and I want to play a tighter-slower left turn, so…

2nd maneuver: left turn but from D deck (that’s Fokker DrI’s deck, a narrower turn: card #9 from D Deck, AP).

3rd maneuver: another left turn but from B deck.
(as you see the 3rd maneuver is a regular full-speed turn from Albatross’ B deck).

What slow-speed cards using for each plane?

We are considering the following:

Albatross DVa and Camel: can use one straight and one right and one left turns from deck D as slow-speed maneuvers (we’re talking about regular turns, not the very-narrow right turn DrI and Camels can do).

Fokker Dr.I: can use a right turn that mirrors Camel’s (C Deck) narrow left turn. We’re guessing a Fokker D.VII’s “L” deck. And players can customize one shorter straightmaneuver for the Dr.I.

SPAD XIII: we are wondering about using turns from Albatross’ B deck; or customizing left&right slow-speed turns that are somewhere between B and D decks. (Ideas?).

there is where we got so far

Pros and Cons of our house-rules:

We think they are easy to implement, and can add some maneuverability to some planes, and fun to the game.

On the other hand poor maneuverable planes (such as Spad and Albatross) don’t really gain to much maneuverability. If an Alvatross playing a stall, and then a D Deck’s turn, and then a B deck’s turn, it is still turning very poorly.
So I would probably still go for an Immelmann if playing an Albatross or a Spad if turning quickly is what I’m looking for.

Having said that, if I have just played a stall or a climb for any reason, I can see myself taking advantage of the possibility of a narrower turn at slow speed – I definitely picture myself using the combo: climb/slow-speed turn/full-speed turn; although I see stall/slow-speed turn/full-speed turn less likely.

Well, that’s all from there.

Ideas? Comments?

Pooh
09-23-2010, 11:45
We've found the lack of manouverability for the Albatros not to be a great handicap. Our play is random enough that such a sequence wouldn't be needed that often. The Spad is a different story. Trying to turn with it is pretty much a lost cause so players tend to zoom through a fight and out the other side, imellmann, then do it again.

One thing we're going to try is using Dave Z's altitude rules this weekend which promises to add a new element to the Spad's capabilities.

Pooh

Gallo Rojo
09-24-2010, 03:35
thanks about your feed back Pooh :)

One thing we're going to try is using Dave Z's altitude rules this weekend which promises to add a new element to the Spad's capabilities.

where can I find those altitude rules?