PDA

View Full Version : 45 Squadron Camel Photos...?

Dom S
09-21-2010, 17:53
Hi folks,
just a quick note on the off chance that anyone can help with this to wrap up a nearly-finished project.... I'm trying to find photos (primarily to get the right letter styling, visible tail codes would be a bonus....) of 45 squadron's Camels. I've found most of them, but still have a few gaps, especially in C flight. Does anybody know of photos of 45 squadron (dumb-bell squadron marking) aircraft with the following large side letters:

J - Have the lettering style, just need a serial number if possible.
O - I've got nothing....
P - I've got nothing....
T - I've got nothing....

I've consulted the following, so please don't waste your time with these:

British Aviation Squadron Markings
Sopwith Camel King Of Combat
Sopwith Camel Windsock Datafile
Sopwith Camel Squadrons Windsock
Sopwith Camel Aces Osprey

Thanks a lot for any help or suggestions.

Dom.

Guntruck
09-22-2010, 00:59
Presumably you have 'H' (Osprey British & Empire Aces) and 'K' (Putnam's Aeroplanes of the Royal Flying Corps)?

Dom S
09-22-2010, 02:12
Yes thanks, both are covered elsewhere too (and that is one weird-looking letter "H" - one reason I'm not keen on generic myself) - the only ones I'm missing are the 3 or 4 listed. If I can't find them I guess I'll have to go "generic" on those last few, or else simply omit them and concentrate on A and B flights, but obviously if I can get the whole lot right, that's what I'd rather do....

Dom.

[Edit, oops, thinking of the wrong "H" - still got the 45 one thanks, but it's the one in 28 that I was thinking of - very weird lettering style on that one, but the 45 one's actually fairly plain after all.]

Pseudotheist
09-22-2010, 07:37
Wish I could help you here...

The one suggestion I do have, if you haven't already tried it, is that your question might get a little more traction on www.theaerodrome.com. We're a gaming site that happens to have historians and modelers; they're actually a historical and modeling site.

Does this mean you've scrapped the RNAS 9th in favor of a full 12 from the 45th squadron?

Good luck!

Dom S
09-22-2010, 07:43
No, I ran out of space to get both on the sheet, so am splitting them into two separate sheets - 6 of Naval 9 on one, lots (ideally all 18) of 45 RFC on the other. As my current printer can't handle the lighter colours on the Naval 9 one, I'm cracking on with 45 RFC, and crossing my fingers that (a) the new printers actually blooming arrive soon, and (b) they can handle the Naval 9 colours as well as my defunct printer did, ie. rather better than the current one.... (Ideally I'd like to plough through my various part-done projects and put the WWI range to bed by Christmas, but that's definitely a big ask....)

As for the Aerodrome, it's crossed my mind, but I always feel hopelessly out of my depth over there.... :eek:

Dom.

Pseudotheist
09-22-2010, 07:54
As for the Aerodrome, it's crossed my mind, but I always feel hopelessly out of my depth over there.... :eek:
Bah! I've posted over there for info on repaints, and I pretty much consider the squadron info on your decal sheets to be canonical source material.

Admittedly, it's a little slower than here, and some times the info just doesn't exist, but I think your chances are better there than here.