PDA

View Full Version : Third Mission: An Unfortunate Encounter

Wolfbiter
09-21-2010, 14:16
France, 1917

Dear Mother and Father,

First, let me reassure you that I am whole and well after my unfortunate encounter yesterday. Though my Albatros "Lotti" is in sorry condition after my forced landing and will be out of action for a while, I am not seriously injured--a few cuts and bruises is all. My dignity is hurt worse than my body!

Yesterday, our airfield was caught completely by surprise by the appearance of an Allied two-seater bomber. As luck would have it, I was the only pilot whose plane was fueled and ready to go, and I took off to attempt driving off the foe.

Alas! Things did not go well for me. Despite the boastful claims of many of my fellow pilots, I did not find a two-seater to be what the English call a "sitting duck." I made a quick pass across the left flank of the bomber and raked it with my guns, but the cursed thing kept flying as if I had not even fired!

What's more, apparently the observer had installed some kind of custom weapon at his position, as I was subject to far heavier fire than is typical from the single Hotchkiss and Lewis guns these larger aircraft usually carry. I took some hard hits, but apparently the observer's cursed weapon wasn't too reliable either, as several times the hail of fire around my plane ceased and I saw the enemy crewman frantically pounding on his weapon!

As I came around for another pass, the bomber veered right and dropped a load of ordinance. His aim was thrown off somewhat from my attacks, and the bombs struck off-target, demolishing the field kitchen but harming no one seriously. Our fellows are quite irked with this annoying pilot for ruining their lunch.

I set up for a third pass, hoping for a lucky shot to bring down this interloper, but alas, it was not to be. Another volley struck my engine, which started to sputter and die. I was forced to make a very rough landing and could only shake my fist as the enemy flew off, his mission at least partially completed.

Though my comrades laughed off the incident, these new Allied aircraft may become a serious concern for us. They are sturdy, well-armed, and in numbers may pose a very grave threat. I must remember not to attack such an airplane single-handedly in the future; they are best dealt with by coordinated groups of fighters. I am going to urge the flying of more frequent patrols close to home in the near future, and the adjutant has ordered ground-based machine-gun emplacements to be set up in the event our unpleasant visitor returns!

I certainly hope to be able to report news of better success in my next flight!

Your son,
Wolfram Von Thun-Hohenstein, Leutnant, Jasta 11

(Notes: Me in a solo Albatros vs. my wife in our new Breguet 14. That is one nasty flying tank. Although only one bombload was dropped, partially damaging the target, the rear "A" gun on the Breguet eventually shot up my poor Albatros despite repeated "0" card draws and gun jams.)

Flying Officer Kyte
09-21-2010, 14:22
A very interesting report David. It may go down in the annals of the sites history as the very first written report of an encounter with a Breguet 14.
Rob.

gregbond77
09-21-2010, 15:26
Enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting it.

Coog
09-21-2010, 15:35
Keep them coming!

ara398
09-21-2010, 16:15
Very entertaining, thanks David.

Regards,
Adrian

DaveZee
09-21-2010, 22:33
Looking forward to earning a place in a report. :)

It sure sounds like that pilot has your number... :p

Oberst Hajj
09-21-2010, 23:05
It's always nice to read your reports... brightens up the work night for me!

Bruce
09-22-2010, 03:00
Excellent report Wolfbiter. :) I think the AA MGs are a good idea around the aerodrome. After a similar experience last November with my Frau, I now routinely place two sandbagged/entrenched AA MGs (B damage; 5 strength) and two free-standing AA MGs (B damage; 3 strength) around my aerodrome. This is my "standard issue" defensive packet for an aerodrome.

My hangers have strength 5 (3 per aerodrome using the same sized card as an aircraft).

There is always one "ready aircraft" positioned for quick take-off (the turn after the first AA MG fires or after the attacking aircraft first shoots or drops its first bomb(s); and there is one additional aircraft made-ready for take-off every second Turn thereafter.

I use the official take-off, landing and taxiing rules, and the official bombing rules.

Each bomb (4 per 2-seater) does 3 damage if on-target, etc. They can be dropped individually, or in "clusters" of 2, or a single drop of 4. See bombing rules.

Attacking scout aircraft can't carry bombs but can machine-gun the hangars.

1 attacker can depart with 1 victory point if he/she destroys 1 hanger; 2 attackers must destroy 2 hangers to get 1 victory point; etc. Plus the usual +2 points for "kills", and -2 points for lost aircraft.

The "Dawn raid on an En aerodrome" is one of my two favourite scenarios. The other is the classic attack on a well protected (Top cover, AA MGs and AA Guns) En observation balloon. This season we will try another potentially great scenario an "Attack on a moving train". Of course the "Dog Fight" is always good too, but it has become a little boring.

Give your playing partner a proper challenge next time ..... if she has the patience and really, really loves you .... otherwise let her win again. ;)

Wolfbiter
09-22-2010, 08:18
Bruce, thanks for the scenario balancing suggestions! This was our first time trying out the bombing rules, and my wife's first spin in a two-seater. I am most reluctant to tackle another Breguet 14 unassisted. :eek:

And yes, DaveZee, she is indeed the Red Baron (Baroness?) to my Snoopy. :D

KiltedWolf
09-22-2010, 10:08
Outstanding write up, and a pleasure to read!

Cheers!

Goering Ace
09-23-2010, 10:34
As usual, another wonderfully entertaining mission report to home. I can't tell you enough how much I enjoy reading your "letters". Your writing style is a joy to read and always makes me smile. :) Once again you've treated us to an exceptional post!! Please, keep them coming!!

Scott

Hamburger
09-23-2010, 13:08
What kind of Albatros were you in? She is no doubt a good pilot! Great write up!

Wolfbiter
09-23-2010, 13:10
What kind of Albatros were you in? She is no doubt a good pilot! Great write up!

It was a D.Va. I give it props for durability...it was fired on many, many, times and kept on flying. But eventually, having to cope with that rear gun just did me in. :(

Captain Knowitall
09-30-2010, 16:54
Absolutely wonderful to read Wolfbiter! I like that style of "report" writing. It has more colour and flavor to it, rather than a dry boring "Departed aerodrome 0700 hrs, arrived at target area at 0730 hrs, engaged enemy.... blah blah blah!)

A suggestion? attack it from the front??