PDA

View Full Version : Game Mat Availability During 2015.

Tonx
03-03-2015, 01:55
Being brand new to Wings of Glory here is me wanting to purchase a gaming mat or two to facilitate and enhance game play.

However I have noticed that stocks and availability are low at the moment - of the three game mats I have actually seen in use just recently only one appears to be available through this website's excellent outlet. Another has been seen for sale on E-Bay but at quite an inflated price. Is this situation likely to change in the future please giving me access to better choice and value for money? Am seriously hoping so given how much better the game looks when played on a mat and functions better with boundaries as well-defined as they are with mats in use as well.

Have to look on the bright side as to my temporary solution to my mat-less problem though ... Sellotape / A4 paper and hand-drawn my current mat may be (90 cm x 90 cm) I wonder how many others feature a kangaroo or five! Seriously looking forward to when I will be able to improve on this though!

:) Aussietonka :)

Oberst Hajj
03-03-2015, 04:29
Hi Barnaby,

The last info I had was that only the City mat was still in stock at the Ares warehouse.... and that info was from December last year.

Casey
03-03-2015, 06:30
you may find the complete set here :

http://www.philibertnet.com/fr/recherche?search_query=wings&n=50

Hope it will help.

Oberst Hajj
03-03-2015, 06:45
And Ares just confirmed with me this morning that they are reprinting the mats "now". So look for them in several months and save your self some cash over paying inflated prices.

Diamondback
03-03-2015, 12:54
Thanks for reminding me, Boss--I need to poke them about Ship Mat reprints over on the Wet Side too.

Ringbolt
03-03-2015, 13:15
Being brand new to Wings of Glory here is me wanting to purchase a gaming mat or two to facilitate and enhance game play.

However I have noticed that stocks and availability are low at the moment - of the three game mats I have actually seen in use just recently only one appears to be available through this website's excellent outlet. Another has been seen for sale on E-Bay but at quite an inflated price. Is this situation likely to change in the future please giving me access to better choice and value for money? Am seriously hoping so given how much better the game looks when played on a mat and functions better with boundaries as well-defined as they are with mats in use as well.

Have to look on the bright side as to my temporary solution to my mat-less problem though ... Sellotape / A4 paper and hand-drawn my current mat may be (90 cm x 90 cm) I wonder how many others feature a kangaroo or five! Seriously looking forward to when I will be able to improve on this though!

:) Aussietonka :)

Amazon Uk seem to have some in stock around the £25ish mark.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-Glory-Expansion-Countryside-Game/dp/B00BD9ZH5K/ref=sr_1_6?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1425416553&sr=1-6&keywords=wings+of+glory

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-Glory-Game-Mat-Coast/dp/B00BCMG4E6/ref=sr_1_14?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1425416553&sr=1-14&keywords=wings+of+glory

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-Glory-Expansion-City-Game/dp/B00BD9ZI36/ref=sr_1_16?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1425416553&sr=1-16&keywords=wings+of+glory

I also have a countryside mat I don't use anymore if you get stuck.

spindoc
04-05-2015, 18:52
And Ares just confirmed with me this morning that they are reprinting the mats "now". So look for them in several months and save your self some cash over paying inflated prices.
Hi Keith. Do you know if that will include a No Man's Land mat (i.e. the poster included as a stretch goal in the Kickstarter, but in foam mat form)? And if so, will the art style be compatible with the previously existing Ares mats?

Oberst Hajj
04-05-2015, 19:02
Yes, the No Man's Land and Industrial Complex maps from the KS are being made into normal mats like the ones we already have. They will visually fit right in with the three we already have.

spindoc
04-05-2015, 19:19
Yes, the No Man's Land and Industrial Complex maps from the KS are being made into normal mats like the ones we already have. They will visually fit right in with the three we already have.Outstanding - thanks!

Captain Chum
04-05-2015, 21:28
Good news indeed! :)

Flying Helmut
04-06-2015, 06:04
Looking forward to those!

andron234
04-06-2015, 10:39
I could use finding the Wings of War "west" section.

Rebel
04-24-2015, 10:08
In late March this year I sent the email question below to Ares Games and received their reply as under.
Question:
Are the Wings of Glory Countryside Game Mats ever going to be available again?
From my researches there would only appear to be only 1 Countryside Mat in the whole of the UK and he wants silly money for it. Overseas suppliers also seem to be universally OOS on both Countryside and Coast versions although you can still find the City mat here and there in UK.
Reply:
thank you for your interest in our games, the mats will be available again by end of June.
Thank you
best regards
Hope this helps

LOOP
04-24-2015, 11:12
Here in Sweden there are still some mats left. I did a quick search and found some at "colectors point".
If anyone is in need of a mat it could pay of to do a search here as well.

P-G

Flying Helmut
04-24-2015, 14:12
A matched pair of the old style East and West maps on ebay uk went for £100.50 last week :eek: - bit of a bidding war!

Tonx
04-25-2015, 03:04
Having now produced two Gaming Mats with limited but appropriate 3D scenery I am thinking of going into business as Bob Dunkin Gaming Mats at this rate!

My DIY (Do It Yourself) option certainly does not cost sky high silly prices and has so far shown to be quite durable even with frequent travel involved. The degree of 3D Scenery involved was inherited from my days playing Bolt Action where the 3D Scenery there can and does look seriously impressive ...

I wonder if this idea would help others who are stuck for gaming mats as IMHO these are essential to Glory games where boundaries and their definition are paramount - or else playing WGF / WGS how do you determine if a Miniature has flown off the board / left the game?

It is a real DIY option stuck together carefully using parcel tape but the main thing is that these mats work and can be produced for under £15.00 (no scenery) - £20.00 (Basic scenery) to £25 (trees and shrubs 120 cm x 120 cm) in the UK. The actual mats have been produced in the UK using Javis Scenery hence the price quotes being in GBP / UK£. Created successfully so far using N Gauge train scenery have been 90 cm x 90 cm and now 120 cm x 120 cm with grass surfaces and 3D tufts of grass strategically positioned all of which is Miniature-friendly when it comes to moving :minis: over them. Javis Scenery (they manufacture the rolls of grass which forms the basis of the mat) is available at model shops throughout the UK - they are also known as Javis of Stockport in some circles. The last mat produced also did not have to be cut to size - just attached together using parcel tape and producing a Gaming Environment of 120 cm x 120 cm instantly. The 90 cm x 90 cm mat was cut to size following assembly as this covers the kitchen table at home / is the recommended Gaming Environment minimum specifications. Operationally (WGS) this Compact Gaming Environment can successfully accommodate everything up to medium and heavy bomber sized aircraft in terms of what can be played on there and used to full effect. The traditional bombers are useable but best in a straight line diagonally across the mat. Try and manoeuver them and they frequently fly off the ends of the mat due to their size speed and lack of agility. Also worth mentioning how a four-fighter altercation can be safely accommodated within 90 cm x 90 cm. I am afraid that I have never played WGF within this Compact Gaming Environment but hopefully before long somebody will read this and think that this is worth trying out ... hopefully. Then let us know of their experiences.

I would say that within any nation where N Gauge railway modelling is popular (I have Germany and North America in mind) such a DIY mat option is available and practical to a new WGF (1/144 Scale) or WGS (1/200 Scale) fanatic - all you need is the time to assemble your creation which trust me is time better following this idea than time spent looking at E-Bay and the prices on there ... and losing heart. The official gaming mats are indeed very impressive in terms of aesthetics (appearance) and gameplay enhancement plus of course they are durable and travel well - explaining the prices they are available for normally but also in the current availability situation why they are so sought after!

But just how creative and impressive can you be when faced with such a requirement ... as well as inspired by the way Official Gaming Mats look? That is the question.