PDA

View Full Version : Messerschmitt BF 109E Variants

RiotInferno
01-12-2015, 14:51
Are the differences between the variants ( notably E1, E3, E4, E6 ) noticeable enough to worry about it at 1:144?
I did a bit of reading and it sounds like they're mostly structurally the same, but with different equipment and weapon load-outs. Is that correct?

Is it worth it to track down specific models for each, or would a "generic" BF109E model serve me well for all of them?

Also, does anyone have any reviews on the Revell micro-wings models? They seem fairly cheap, so I don't know if that's useful or should be avoided.

Thanks!

Blackronin
01-12-2015, 14:55
Hi Jonh!
A generic Me-109E will be sufficient.
Try the AIM model. It's beautiful.

RiotInferno
01-12-2015, 15:01
Thanks! The AIM minis look great. I like building things, so I might start with some of the kits.
I've been slowly making the rounds to my local hobby shops ( all 3 or 4 of them :hmm: - small town ) to see what they have.
So far it's been a bust, so I'll probably start ordering things online. Can I order straight from AIM or do I have to go through a seller?

Blackronin
01-12-2015, 15:09
Send Dave an email with what you want, he will reply back to you. He's very nice.

aim_schmid@yahoo.com

You can also ask for to Ron Crawford, what he has. An amazing person with lots of 1/200 WW2 planes:

ron200hbm@gmavt.net

And both in the States, so it'll be easier for you than it is for me.

RiotInferno
01-12-2015, 16:09
I spent an hour driving around to the hobby shops after work, none of them carry 1/200 or 1/144 WW2 planes. There were a handful of Fokkers and Camels, but I struck out on Spitfires and BF109s.

I chatted with one of the clerks who said that people just don't do models anymore. That's a shame.

Rabbit 3
01-13-2015, 05:20
I spent an hour driving around to the hobby shops after work, none of them carry 1/200 or 1/144 WW2 planes. There were a handful of Fokkers and Camels, but I struck out on Spitfires and BF109s.

I chatted with one of the clerks who said that people just don't do models anymore. That's a shame.

Kind of self fulfilling, the hobby shops don`t see the market so they don`t bother promoting them and just carry a few of the best selling lines.
Then those of us who do perhaps want specific models find that we can`t get what we want from them and don`t bother shopping there any more.
I`m kind of lucky in that I have a shop thats been open for years and has in that time become a focus for the local plastic modeling community and other related hobbies like wargaming.
That means that they have a wide stock of all types and have finished models on display, the result of which they regularly manage to draw in new customers and have a lucrative on-line business going.
Sadly there are fewer shops like that than their used to be!

Rabbit 3
01-13-2015, 05:20

Kind of self fulfilling, the hobby shops don`t see the market so they don`t bother promoting them and just carry a few of the best selling lines.
Then those of us who do perhaps want specific models find that we can`t get what we want from them and don`t bother shopping there any more.
I`m kind of lucky in that I have a shop thats been open for years and has in that time become a focus for the local plastic modeling community and other related hobbies like wargaming.
That means that they have a wide stock of all types and have finished models on display, the result of which they regularly manage to draw in new customers and have a lucrative on-line business going.
Sadly there are fewer shops like that than their used to be!

BobP
01-13-2015, 12:56
John the AIM minis are 1/100, 1/200 and 1/285/300 scale. The 1/144 models are just the balloons. Look for F-toys or Café Reo which are both 1/144 models. They are pre painted and require some work to put together. F toys 109E is in kit # 7 which has P-39/P-40 and the 109E. Check out bcmini.com for the F-toys. They are out of CA and I have had good dealings with them. The only thing is that you have to buy a case of each series but you get 3 of each plane and 1 special. Another source is Sweet which are models you have to put together and paint. Hope this helps.

BobP
01-13-2015, 13:11

Here is a scan of the instructions for the F toys 109E. One side is for the different planes and as you can see the other on putting the plane together.

RiotInferno
01-13-2015, 13:28
Thanks guys!