PDA

View Full Version : History Coming Alive

Anav
09-13-2010, 22:28
Before I started playing this game I had read quite a bit on WWII carrier battles. I had my favorite fighters and have read lots on those.
Since playing I have to say I really like the stubby Wildcat...not the best, but it sure does work for me, ask my opponents! Before it was just the plane we flew before the Corsair and Hellcat.

I am re-reading John Lundstrom's great books "The First Team" and the sequel "Guadalcanal Campaign". When lo and behold there is the name Major Galer.... Hey I know that name...sure enough he fly’s one of my Wildcats...so now The book I have read at least twice before is suddenly so much more, not just a plane, not just a name...

Thanks Wings of War!!!!

swarbs
09-14-2010, 13:01
I think that this is one of the nicer parts of the game. Having individual squadrons, and usually even pilots, listed for each aircraft makes it clear that the designers really love the history as well as the 'game-playing' part of things. As you say, it's nice to come across a familiar name when reading.

I find the names usually draw me further into the history. I've looked up quite a few of the pilots listed on the WoW cards, it helps you remember that history is about people. Combat pitted person against person, we gamers sometimes succumb to thinking about it as machine vs. machine.

Hanomag
09-14-2010, 14:29
Funny, I was trying to think of a good WWII air battle(s) type book to read. Most of the ones I've read center around The Battle or Britain. Also, Steven Ambrose also wrote a great one about B-24 Liberator pilots...best book of his I've read.

That said, yes it becomes a bit more than a game when you see familiar names. And for the record I've always loved the Wildcat and the Warhawk. Underdog status I guess....

-H

CappyTom
09-15-2010, 15:17
O.k. this was many years ago. Did any one read a book titled Flight Deck. It was a paperback and I found it in the library at school. It told the story of a dive-bomber pilot and his life on a aircraft carrier. One of the best war at sea stories I've ever read. Then again I was in Jr.high. When you come across the names it does bring the game to life. As for me I always play as its my adversary against me. Who has the better skills and sometimes luck:D.

Tom

kaufschtick
09-15-2010, 18:32
And for the record I've always loved the Wildcat and the Warhawk. Underdog status I guess....

-H

You and me both.

-"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Anav
09-15-2010, 21:52
Just proves its all about the pilots!