PDA

View Full Version : First Patrol :)

Wolfbiter
09-09-2010, 09:00
France, November 1917

My dear family,

I can scarcely contain myself--I have flown my first patrol as a member of Jasta 11, and we returned victorious! I have just finished my report, and shall tell you all that took place.

As a new pilot, I have been assigned to fly an Albatros D.Va. While it lacks the nimbleness of the Fokker Dr.I flown by my wingman, Von Wittlow, it is a sturdy, capable aircraft and I am most pleased with its performance thus far, as seen yesterday during our engagement over the front lines.

Von Wittlow and I took off just before dawn, and spotted two Allied fighters--a Spad XIII and Sopwith Camel--flying south toward our lines. They immediately broke off in different directions as we engaged. I swung my Albatros around and came about on the Sopwith's tail, but my good fortune was immediately followed by rotten luck...my guns jammed on my first shot! I followed Von Wittlow's advice, however, and strove to keep calm. This was not easy, trying to maintain my position behind the Englishman while desperately trying to clear my guns with one hand!

The Sopwith and I made two zig-zagging passes at each other, narrowly avoiding collision twice! Sweat was drenching my hair beneath my flying helmet. During the second pass, the Sopwith lined me up in his sights, but missed me completely! I hope this account does not frighten Mother and Katarina unduly. It is a risky business we are in here, but I suppose Fortune wanted to balance things out for my earlier mishap with my weapons!

Meanwhile, Von Wittlow engaged the Spad, which easily outdistanced him and came around for a pass, raking him with fire. However, despite the horrendous damage to his wings, my comrade kept the cool head he is famous for in the Jasta, waiting with iron nerve until the Spad was too close to turn away, then using his triplane's superior maneuverability to turn suddenly on the Spad and down it with a final burst of fire!

Immediately, control of the engagement shifted to us. I swung behind the Camel again, raking it with fire and scoring several hits while driving it toward Von Wittlow. I envy his nerve...a volley from the Englishman as they came face-to-face put more holes in his Dr.I. I do not know how he kept his machine airborne, he has a devil's luck in the air! A lucky shot from his Fokker must have damaged the Camel's engine, and the Sopwith dived toward the ground. I hope the pilot survived...he was courageous, even if an enemy of the Fatherland.

So we returned to base, Von Wittlow's plane in tatters but two kills to his credit, my own plane nearly unscathed. I cannot describe the mix of terror and exhilaration I felt in the air. While disappointed that I had no kills of my own, the Rittmeister himself commended us for sticking together and avoiding unnecessary risk, and the complete success of our engagement!

I look forward to reporting my own first victory to you soon!

Your son,
Wolfram Thun-Hohenstein, Leutnant, Jasta 11

(P.S. This is a somewhat dramatized version of my first game, with me flying the two German planes and my wife playing the Allies. It was a complete blast, and the results came down to some very lucky damage draws on my part, and two unlucky damage draws on my wife's--a 4 damage on one attack and an explosion on the other! But she was a very good sport, and was complimentary toward the game. She said it's easy to play (I agree) and liked the historical elements.)

Willi Von Klugermann
09-09-2010, 10:09
Great to hear David. Now, if I could only get my wife to see things this way.:D

Goering Ace
09-09-2010, 10:10
A very entertaining recount of the action!! Nicely written, David. You had me glued to my seat for the duration of the post. :D

Keep 'em coming!!

Scott

Flying Officer Kyte
09-09-2010, 10:58
A very good account of a rather hair raising adventure. My complements to you young Thun- hohenstein. This is what the punters want. Look out for my Further adventures of F.O. Kyte and young Nigel-Bouncer Smythe. Mayhap we will cross swords some day over the lines, who knows. After our last brush with Jasta 11 I'm sure that the Rittmeister will be out for a spot of revenge.( see Nigel gets his shots off.)
good flying till we meet young hun.
F.O.Kyte.

Wolfbiter
09-09-2010, 11:15
A very good account of a rather hair raising adventure. My complements to you young Thun- hohenstein. This is what the punters want. Look out for my Further adventures of F.O. Kyte and young Nigel-Bouncer Smythe. Mayhap we will cross swords some day over the lines, who knows. After our last brush with Jasta 11 I'm sure that the Rittmeister will be out for a spot of revenge.( see Nigel gets his shots off.)
good flying till we meet young hun.
F.O.Kyte.

Danke, Herr Kyte! I have read your accounts and also look forward to reading of your further exploits, Englishman! :D

Aero825
09-09-2010, 13:29
A very entertaining recount of the action!! Nicely written, David. You had me glued to my seat for the duration of the post. :D

Keep 'em coming!!

Scott

I agree. Keep 'em comin'!!! I will also belooking out for F.O. Kytes adventures. Don't stop fighting, and don't get sad if you lose:D! Happy flying!

Hunter

gregbond77
09-09-2010, 14:15
Nice report, keep them comming.

Aero825
09-09-2010, 14:17
How many people are going to keep saying that?!?:D

Hunter

Hamburger
09-28-2010, 16:47
Nice report, keep them coming.
(to make Aero825 angry:D:D)

Captain Knowitall
09-28-2010, 19:36
Very well written Herr Lt Hohenstein AKA Wolfbiter

Lotsokids
10-31-2010, 19:00
Awesome - Reminds of the old WINGS game for the Amiga. Before and after each mission there was a log that really set the mood well. Excellent job!