PDA

View Full Version : All the action from table 1: Annual Aerodrome Weekend, Doncaster 2014.

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-21-2014, 14:42
Well the Geordie tag team arrived at the venue: "Where is everyone Paul?" "Dunno, Neil. Apart from Trev walking down the road there's nobody here!"

Well first to arrive, found the building, found the rooms, "Well Paul they're set up ready to go but where is everyone?". Little did we realise that the party, sorry dinner with drinks, went onto well into late Friday night with a rumour that the members were asked to leave as the staff wanted to go home! Apparently all the members were trying to wake Andy (Andrzej) up who had fallen into a deep sleep (well that's was his excuse I hear).

Game set up and waiting for our first customers.

Kaneohe Bay December 1941:

L/R:
Playing the Japanese strike force:
Paul (Guzzi), Thomas (thomatchef), Andy (Hawkhurst), Marian, Steve (Guntruck), Trev (brambo)

Playing the gallant USAAF:
Paul (tikkifriend). Paul (Guzzi), Neil (skafloc - taking picture)

Thomas played 4 aircraft in this game 3 Zero's and a Rufe.
Andy 2 Kate torpedo planes.
Marian 2 Val dive bombers.
Steve 1 Kate 1 Val
Trev 1 Kate 1 Val
Paul (tikkifriend) 2 P36's (then 1 P40)
Neil 2 P36's (then 1 P40)
Paul (Guzzi) B17

Some game snaps:
Paul's B17 making for the runway guided in by Marian's 2 Val's!

Paul's B17 on fire, making for the runway courtesy of Marian's 2 Val's!

Paul's B17 missing the runway, crashing into Marian's primary target, the fuel tanks! courtesy of Marian's 2 Val's!

Neil's P36, 4 maneuver cards in, takes first damage a 0 and the dreaded boom card. Exit 1 P36 no shots returned!
(That was the first aircraft down in all 3 games! Beat that WINGCO!)

Exit Neil's 2nd P36 3 cards later! Well it did get to fire, once!

Thomas's Rufe and Zero straffe the PBY's sitting in one long row!

Paul, down 1 P36, flying a P40 watches Andy's Kate's drop their 'fish' at 2 transports.

An overview of the game, it's not going well for the defenders!
Marine barracks bombed (bottom of pic)
Fuel tanks destroyed (centre top)
Hangar 1 destroyed (to the left of fuel tanks)
Hangar 2 about to be destroyed!
6 PBY's destroyed, 10 damaged.
2 ships sunk and the machine shop, between hangar 1 and 2, about to be bombed!
(It was brutal).

Both Kate's sink their targets (2 transports) as Paul's surviving P36 downs one of the successful Kates. Thomas' 2 Zero's straffe the PBY's in the water whilst Paul's P40 tries to turn to intercept.

Thomas' Rufe and Zero make their return run, Steve bombs hangar 2. Neil closes in with his P40.

The gallant crew at games end, still smiling.

Result:
Japan: 3 enemy aircraft shot down. 2 ships sunk. 5 primary targets destroyed. 13 PBY's destroyed and 9 PBY's damaged.

USAAF: 1 enemy aircraft shot down.

Japan are the winners. (JApan 97 points v 5 points USAAF)

Hedeby
09-21-2014, 15:13
so that's what was going on in the other room.. unfortunately I was barred...

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-21-2014, 15:43
Coral Sea, May 8th 1942.
Wanting revenge for the defeat at Kaneohe Bay, the US attack the Japanese in the Coral Sea. Both sides have to decide on a CAP and a strike force.

Playing the Japanese Strike Force/CAP off IJN Shokaku:
Paul (Guzzi), CAP of 2 Zero's.
Andy (Hawkhurst) Strike Force of 2 Val dive bombers
Marian Strike Force of 2 Kate torpedo planes

Playing the gallant USN Strike Force/CAP off USS Yorktown:
Neil (skafloc - taking picture) Strike Force of 4 Dauntless dive bombers.
Trev (brambo) Strike Force of 2 Devastator Torpedo Bombers
Thomas (thomatchef) CAP 3 Wildcats

The teams assemble.

Trev flew on, launches torpedoes and then flew off. Neil flying the wrong way splits his attack pursued by Paul's CAP Zero's.

Trev's torpedo attack misses!

Marian's torpedoes slam into the Yorktown!

Trev's torpedoes are still running! AA from Shokaku brackets the USN Dive bombers.

Marian's torpedo slams into the hull and the explosion detonates the bomb store! Taking 6 fire tokens and a C damage every go until a zero chit is drawn! Yorktown is badly damaged.

Neil's Dive bombers bank for the run in to bomb Shakaku. AA and a Zero think differently!

Splash 1 Dauntless!

and Trev's torpedoes are still running!

The game ended shortly after:
USS Yorktown: 2 torpedo hits (51 damage out of 141) Shot down 1 enemy aircraft!
IJN Shokaku: No damage, shot down 1 Dauntless dive bomber.

Japan are the winners. (Japan 25 points v 5 points USN).

A special thank you to Marian who played two difficult games and started as a complete novice to WGS. In two games she completed all of her mission objectives and more.

Thanks to all who took part in the first two games.

(game 3: Taranto tomorrow).

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-21-2014, 15:49
Chris I don't think the Japanese needed you and your special weapon (The Kamikaze torpedo plane), they had Marian!

so that's what was going on in the other room.. unfortunately I was barred...

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-21-2014, 22:51
Taranto, November 11th 1940.
The British thought an attack on the Italian fleet in Taranto Harbour was viable. So it happened, at night on the 11th November 1940!

(We really should have played this one first as it was the reason why the Japanese thought an attack on Pearl Harbor could be successful).

Playing the RN-FAA Strike Force off HMS Illustrious:
Rob (Flying Officer Kyte), 2 Swordfish torpedo planes.
Marian, 2 Swordfish torpedo planes.
Trev (Brambo) 2 Swordfish torpedo planes.

Steve (Guntruck watches the attack building up)

Andy (Hawkhurst) 2 Fairy Fulmars.
Thomas (Thomatchef) 2 Fairey Fulmars.

Playing the Italian defenders:
Neil (skafloc - taking picture).
Battleships: Vittorio Veneto, Littorio
Cruisers: Bolzano (Heavy Cruiser), Vesuvio (AA Cruiser)
2 Navigatorri Destroyers.

Sqn Leader Kytes Swordfish illuminated by the searchlight battery on St Peters Island.

Lieutenant G. W. L. A. Bayly RN (factual reference), leads Sqn Leader Kyte in and takes the brunt of the AA fire.

Thomas and Andy fly in to drop their flares and are caught in more searchlights.

Lieutenant G. W. L. A. Bayly RN is shot down. (Factual pilot who was shot down at Taranto).

A night shot of the action. 1 Swordfish down, center top, and 1 Fulmar down in the crossed searchlight beams to the left. The attack build up.

Fulmars complete their mission and illuminate the targets. Sqn Leader Kyte drops his 'fish' (top), Marian drops hers (bottom) just misses the AA Cruiser Vesuvio.

Bolzano is struck by the torpedo and it penetrates to the magazine causing a cataclysmic explosion. Trev (right of pic) drops his 1st of 2 torpedoes at Littorio as Marian drops her 2nd at Vittorio Veneto (center of pic top). Sqn Leader Kyte heads for home (left) as the Fulmars prepare to bomb Littorio.

Unfortunately I didn't take any more pics of the game so here is a summary of the action that followed:

1. Marians torpedo hit the Vittorio Veneto shortly followed by a 2nd from Marian.
2. Trev's torpedoes are still running!
3. Thomas and Andy turned their attention to bombing the Littorio and 2 near misses caused severe damage to the hull.

British are the winners: British 60 points v 10 points for the Italians.

1 Heavy Cruiser sunk
2 Battleships badly damaged.

Marian survived all 3 games with all her aircraft a novice in game one, a trained pilot by game 2 and a true veteran if not Ace by game 3.

Thank you to all who played Taranto and making it a great game.

Thank you to Rob for the aircraft, beautifully painted ships and barrage balloons; wihout which the game would not have happened.

Thank you to Tim for loaning me the buildings that represented Taranto (they were so much better than mine).

Thank you to everyone who ate the Stotties, Ham and Peas Pudding. Hope you enjoyed it. I'll have to think of another delicacy for next years bash.

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-21-2014, 23:33
Sunday day 2:
"Ok Chaps were are the Geordie Nutters?" asked Rob. RING RING RING (chris rang me), in a sleepy voice "Hi, Oh is that the time?", 'Chris worried voice', "No Chris we're in the restaurant having breakfast be there soon. Paul we're late everyone's waiting for us!"

So a little later than we should have been Paul and I arrived to the mornings activities. Not having much to do we started setting up the finale.

There was a lot of activity going on in the other room and the end of the morning heralded the prize giving.
We sadly said goodbye to Paul, Mary

and Thomas (who was asking Trev if anyone had found his torpedoes yet), who had trains and planes to catch.

The prize giving I'll leave to someone else to explain in detail but here are a few pics of the worthy recipients.

Paul (Guzzi) for most spectacular shooting down/crash.

Deborah, best female pilot.

Pete, best player 'in the spirit of the game'.

Dave Manley, top gun WW1.

Andrzej (nightbomber) top gun WW2.

Hannah and Amy, best young players awards.

Dave Manley, best overall WW1 player (kills/mission/winning side etc)

John (johnbiggles), best overall WW2 player (kills/mission/winning side etc)

Best overall player, Andrzej (nightbomber).

Chris (boney10), Neil (skafloc) and Simon (strangely brown) on the receiving end from the WingCo, Rob.

Chris: Order of the Bulldog
Simon: Order of the Bulldog
Neil: Affiliated member of the Order of the Bulldog (He fly's for the Eagles!) and Iron Cross 1st Class.

FINALE TO FOLLOW

FarEast
09-21-2014, 23:42
Really would love to join one of these events.

flash
09-21-2014, 23:47
Great pics of some great games Neil, Taranto looks awesome !

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-22-2014, 01:01
THE FINALE:

Dear Will,
I need a spot of help, if you don't mind. As all my gardeners are over in France fighting for me and country, could you send over one of your nice Zeppelins, drop a bomb about 500yds south west of Sandringham; so I can use it as duck pond?
Yours always, your cousin George.
PS: Hope that small fracas in France is not giving you an upset stomach.

Dear George,
I would be glad to oblige. Consider it done.
Yours Willy.
PS: Hopefully it will all be over by Christmas and we can get back to visiting each other again.

So the Kaiser ordered it to be done and it was. Just to make sure, you know what Prussian planning is like, they sent along a spare, well 3 in fact, to make sure it was done.

9 RFC pilots (10 later) , 4 Hun Kapitains and 2 Hun pilots and 1 controller. 17 players for the finale.

Top to bottom: L10 commanded by Luftschippe Kaptain Kyte, Zeppelin Staaken piloted by Kaptain Trev (it is there honest), L45 commanded by Luftschippe Kaptain Paul and L11 Luftschippe Kaptain Tim. (I did promise 4 Zeppelins. All made by Clipper1801 and his many Elves - a big thank you for making this possible).
Hannah and Amy flew a DVII and SS DIII in support too.

All the finale crews in their glory.
Amy, Hannah, Paul, Rob, Marian, John, Andrzej, Deborah, Peter, Chris (your barred), Tim, Mike.
John, Andy (both contemplating what to fly), Deborah, Peter, Tim, Chris, Mike, Steve.
Chris (boney10 arrived later after dropping someone off at the train station).

A view from the RFC, home defence side.

1st casualty, Hannah is down. (and re-spawns as the RFC!)

Deborah helps Trev position the Staaken.

L10 claims it's 2nd kill.

The Staaken is swarmed by the RFC trying to stop its bombing run on Sandringham. The 3 Zeppelins approach the coast.

The shore battery AA wakes up at last.

Unused table space removed gives everyone easy access for the final approach. Steve contemplates his attack run.

The Staaken, bombing run successful, succumbs to damage and makes the duck pond even bigger!

A helping hand keeps Steve's aircraft on the table, just.

An ungallant response for his second critical damage card of the game.

And the Zeppelins response to the ungallant remark, Steve is down in flames.
Chris' Dolphin goes down. One of many that day.

Tim's rear gunner takes a photo of Steve's burning wreckage for posterity and his Gand kids.

Last shot of the day.

Finale Butchers Bill:
RFC 10 players. 19 Aircraft:
Lost 12 aircraft. 5 x Brisfit, 3 x SE5a, 1 x Nieuport N17, 1 x Dolphin, 1 x 1 1/2 Strutter and an unknown possible by Kapitain Kyte.

Dastardly Hun:
3 Zeppelins, 1 Zeppelin Staaken, 1 DVII. 1 SS DIII.
Lost 1 x Staaken. 1 x SS DIII.
L10- Kapitain Kyte: 36/128 damage, 1 crewman killed. 3 enemy aircraft shot down.
L45- Kapitain Paul: 71/140 damage, 2 gas cells destroyed, 3 crewmen killed. 4 enemy aircraft shot down.
L11- Kapitain Tim: 65/128 damage, 2 gas cells destroyed/1 gas cell badly damaged, 1 crewman killed. 3 enemy aircraft shot down.
Staaken- Pilot Trev: Shot down over enemy territory. Bombed the target. made the duck pond bigger. 1 enemy aircraft shot down.
DVII- Amy: RTB. 1 enemy aircraft shot down.
SSDIII- Hannah: Shot down over enemy territory.

RFC:
RFC-Hannah: Shot down Zeppelin Staaken.
RFC- Chris Hedeby: Summary Court martial for leaving the field of battle!

In 2 hours of play the 3 larger Zeppelins covered 4 feet of games table and were about 1-3 feet away (closest to furthest) from the target. The Staaken crossed 6 feet of games table and bombed the target. With another hour it may have been a lot different, well there is always next year.

A fantastic game to run made even greater by the players who assisted in working out shooting and making the game run smoothly.

(We might have been the last to arrive on Sunday morning but We two Geordie Nutters were the last to leave.)

Blauer Baron
09-22-2014, 03:49
Thanks to you all for such interesting and impressive looking games!! The pictures speak many thousands of words. The searchlight concept is just one of many great ideas to be picked up. Wonderfull!!!:clap::pint::salute::medal::thankyou:

Deadly M
09-22-2014, 05:51
Terrific weekend. Thanks to all for making me welcome and inviting me to join in the games. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back - you can get your revenge folks!! Marian x

OldGuy59
09-22-2014, 09:24
Sooo envious! :envy:

I know so many of these people, both through Skype games and working on card projects with them. Seriously big pouty face. :(

Thank you so much for the great pictures, so I can put faces to names for those I haven't gamed with. Everyone looks a lot better when not viewed through a few thousand miles of wire. :hatsoff:

Got to do a tour of Europe to meet all of you. :singin::drinks:

Twisted_terrain
09-22-2014, 09:47
I'm very jealous of Andrzej eagle, it looks beautiful, did Marian not win the torpedo bombing queen award? Well done that woman! Looks like an awesome weekends gaming and is johnbiggles' case full of toys...

Marechallannes
09-22-2014, 10:26
Great overview of the Doncaster Weekend! :eek:

Thank you, Neil! :thumbsup:

johnbiggles
09-22-2014, 10:28
an awesome weekends gaming and is johnbiggles' case full of toys...

It is now!!!:minis:

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-22-2014, 10:32
Removed, totally mixed that up somehow.

Naharaht
09-22-2014, 14:38
It looks like you all had a great time.

prymus
09-22-2014, 20:14
Outstanding. Thanks for sharing the experience.

gully_raker
09-22-2014, 22:46
:thumbsup::clap::clap::clap: What a fantastic weekend of Gaming.
Great work everybody.
You ALL deserve REP!:salute::medal:
Great photos & reports as well.:thumbsup:

FarEast
09-23-2014, 02:42
Makes me home sick that's for sure 14 years in Japan and only back twice in that time!!!

How do I convince the wife that she should allow me to attend one of these events???? :waf: :confused:

Guntruck
09-23-2014, 06:23
Great pics and AARs Neil. Respect for all the work you put in for running games. For those that haven't seen it, Neil's Zeppelin control board is a work of art and thing of beauty.

Boney10
09-23-2014, 06:30
Makes me home sick that's for sure 14 years in Japan and only back twice in that time!!!

How do I convince the wife that she should allow me to attend one of these events???? :waf: :confused:

Chocolate and lots of it :)

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-23-2014, 08:57
Not forgetting lots of flowers, hugs and kisses too!

Chocolate and lots of it :)

Guzzi
09-23-2014, 09:10
Neil,

Thank you so much for making my role in the game part of the attacking Japanese forces ;) - it sums up the B17s crashing and the ensuing destruction caused far better than if I was flying for the USA !

Paul

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-23-2014, 11:44
Well as they say a volunteer is worth 10 pressed men, thanks for volunteering to fly the coffi...I mean B17.

Neil

Neil,

Thank you so much for making my role in the game part of the attacking Japanese forces ;) - it sums up the B17s crashing and the ensuing destruction caused far better than if I was flying for the USA !

Paul

tikkifriend
09-23-2014, 13:26
Good looking bunch of guys and gals in that first game eh Neil :) ;) Loved the game even if we were stotted by the Japs.

tikkifriend
09-23-2014, 13:32

Pease Pudding ,ham and Stottie cake Sarnies :lol:

Blackronin
09-23-2014, 14:07
Wonderful weekend! So good to see you all together!
Maybe next year. :)

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-23-2014, 14:25
Shouldn't that be 'Stottied'?

Good looking bunch of guys and gals in that first game eh Neil :) ;) Loved the game even if we were stotted by the Japs.

tikkifriend
09-24-2014, 06:17
Too long in France , will have to check the Larn yesel Geordie handbook :) Well the result was still the same, bit of a Magpie moment :lol:

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-24-2014, 06:57
It's the way y'mackem not tellem!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

OldGuy59
09-24-2014, 12:44
All,
Did I say thank you for all the pictures?

I've been showing SWMBO this thread (among others) periodically, as she wants to know about the exclamations and pining that sporadically pop out of me while reading on the forum.

Two things arose from discussions generated from her reading these threads. Plans on a joint trip to Prague are not likely to happen. No matter what historical monuments and romantic venues might exist. Not really interested. However, a trip to England? That is something that is not only possible, but the extra-change jar just got labeled: "Trip to England 2015".

What event to I plan around to get as many European Forum members there at the same time? Doncaster would be an awesome opportunity, if all the same (or more) people that showed up this year came in 2015.

Thoughts?

clipper1801
09-24-2014, 12:53
Always great to see what the kids are up to! Thanks for the pictures!

Flying Officer Kyte
09-24-2014, 12:55
Here we see the Maestro at the keyboard.

Rob.

clipper1801
09-24-2014, 13:05
Intriguing! Would love to see the control board for three zeps at a time!

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-24-2014, 14:52
I'm sure Chris (Hedeby) took some close ups and better angled shot of the triple Zeppelin control board.

Unfortunately I only have the control sheet for L45 as the counters and sheets for L10 and L11 were given to Rob and Tim respectively. So I can't show a picture of all 3 together on the one board. However I will post the control sheets in the Files section with some basic guidelines for using the counters.

(The board is a magnetic board 57cm x 37cm, the counters were different coloured magnetic circles).

tikkifriend
09-25-2014, 00:34
Terrific weekend. Thanks to all for making me welcome and inviting me to join in the games. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back - you can get your revenge folks!! Marian x

Look forward to seeing you there Marion. Ps love the Avatar name, most appropriate. :guns::guns::crash::cry:

Flying Officer Kyte
09-25-2014, 01:04

I think Mrs Kyte has some shots of it Dave.
I will get her to post them.
Rob.

Mrs Kyte
09-25-2014, 01:30

Here are two of Nightbomber's photos that he allowed me to download onto my computer.
I hope it is of help.

Eileen.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-25-2014, 02:11

:salute: Great to have you on side Marion. You may fly as my Wingperson in our FAA. Stringbags against the might of the Italian Navy any time you wish to.:guns::crash:
Thanks for all the help.
Rob.

*Note to other pilots:-
It is far better to have Marion with you than agin you.
Suggestions that I had a ringer on my team are totally unfounded.:lol:

Jager
09-25-2014, 02:14

Here are two of Nightbomber's photos that he allowed me to download onto my computer.
I hope it is of help.

Eileen.

And a good day to you, Mrs. Kyte :hatsoff:
Karl

tikkifriend
09-25-2014, 09:53
A well deserved award for the most spectacular crash there Paul :thumbsup:

Hedeby
09-26-2014, 15:16
If you are prepared to get here from Canada am sure we arrange to have an event waiting for you( says the man within walking distance of the venue, lol)

Barkmann
09-26-2014, 17:41
Awesome to see all of you together! I hope to go to one of these events some day.;)
Thanks

Nick

Gangrel
09-26-2014, 17:54
I've only just found this thread (I've not been online much this week). I just wanted to say thanks for all the people who made me welcome last weekend and who were incredibly tolerant of my newbie mistakes and questions. An especially huge thanks go the people who clearly put hours of preparation into running games for the rest of us; I'm sure it was greatly appreciated by everyone. Cheers, everyone; it was a great time.

tikkifriend
09-27-2014, 08:28
If you are prepared to get here from Canada am sure we arrange to have an event waiting for you( says the man within walking distance of the venue, lol)

Spoken like an almost true Yorkshireman Chris, costs nowt to get there , got to a winner. :lol: :lol:

Hedeby
09-27-2014, 09:23
Do we think Doncaster is worth a medal?

tikkifriend
09-27-2014, 09:36

Mary seems to think the Craft Market certainly deserves a Mention in Dispatches And I'm always up for a medal, but does it meet the criteria for one ?

Flying Officer Kyte
09-27-2014, 09:54

There is a presedent set for this by PragueCon.
We would need to check with those who have attended both to see if they thought it was on a similar standing.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-27-2014, 09:58
An international gathering of forum members from Belgium, England, France, Poland, Wales and the USA, not forgetting us from north of the Wall.
Must be deserving of a medal.

OldGuy59
09-27-2014, 15:11

Until I can get better at embossing and beveling, this is what I came up with:

It should have all the flag colors, including red and white for next year, too!

[Edit} I didn't note the "N" dropping off the image when I converted it from Illustrator to a web image. Weird that the shadow is still there. This should fix it:

Flying Officer Kyte
09-28-2014, 00:01
I do like the idea of including the attendees colours in the ribbon.
Hopefully we will have to put a green band in there before too long.
Rob.

Guntruck
09-28-2014, 03:38
Very nice. (Needs a 'N' at the end Mike)

Flying Officer Kyte
09-28-2014, 06:02
Very nice. (Needs a 'N' at the end Mike)

Well spotted Squadron Leader. I picked up the Hank Marvin and missed the missing letter totally.
Kyte.

tikkifriend
09-28-2014, 07:29
I don't know, has a bit of a European sound to it without the N at the end :) :)

David Manley
09-28-2014, 07:33
There is a presedent set for this by PragueCon.

Wilson, Lincoln or Eisenhower? :)

We would need to check with those who have attended both to see if they thought it was on a similar standing.
Rob.

I've attended both. I would say hand on heart that they are most definitely of equal standing

David Manley
09-28-2014, 07:34
I don't know, has a bit of a European sound to it without the N at the end :) :)

Southern European, yes. On seeing it I was immediately reminded of "scorchio"! :D

Guntruck
09-28-2014, 08:07
Do you want your cold back now I've finished with it David? :erk:

Flying Officer Kyte
09-28-2014, 08:47
Wilson, Lincoln or Eisenhower? :)

I've attended both. I would say hand on heart that they are most definitely of equal standing

:salute:I really can't see what you are getting at Dave!:slysmile:

:embarrass:Thanks! Gaffe amended.;)
Should have gone to Specsavers:cool:
Rob.

David Manley
09-28-2014, 09:06

No, thats fine, thanks. I've picked up another one since then so I'm OK for germs just now :sick:

OldGuy59
09-28-2014, 09:45
Fixed the spelling on the medal (see above).

Teaticket
09-28-2014, 10:07

So its his fault? I'm just about done with one myself. You can be proud its gone international!

Ringbolt
09-28-2014, 11:11

Still going strong over here if you are missing it. I didn't realise that NBC warfare was a feature of WW1!

Flying Officer Kyte
09-28-2014, 12:01
You chaps can't pass on germs like this, it's not the 1918 Flu epidemic yet you know.
Kyte.

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-28-2014, 14:29
Love the medal Mike, any chance of including Doncaster on it?

Flying Officer Kyte
09-28-2014, 14:37

I think the idea is to make it a generic medal Neil, but I would like to see it Doncaster exclusive too.
Rob.

Teaticket
09-28-2014, 15:47
Fixed the spelling on the medal (see above).

Not to be a pain, but I know I am, instead of 2 red or white stripes how about one green for the Wales flag? It was not in the picture but there was a Welsh flag hanging. My Welsh Dragon wife would strongly approve!

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-28-2014, 23:11
Well said Peter, deborah was a force majeur over the weekend and Wales should be represented.

Guntruck
09-29-2014, 00:33
You chaps can't pass on germs like this, it's not the 1918 Flu epidemic yet you know.
Kyte.

It's a realistic re-enactment

Flying Officer Kyte
09-29-2014, 01:02
It's a realistic re-enactment

Point taken Squadron Leader.:surrender:
Kyte.:D

Flying Officer Kyte
09-29-2014, 01:07
Not to be a pain, but I know I am, instead of 2 red or white stripes how about one green for the Wales flag? It was not in the picture but there was a Welsh flag hanging. My Welsh Dragon wife would strongly approve!

I approve this expedient and fully endorse the application of your suggestion Peter.
It will also obviate the need to add the green stripe for Italy should any pilot from that country attend in future years.
Rob.

OldGuy59
09-29-2014, 10:22

The selection of colours was intended to represent the participants of Doncaster 2014. The medal would then be "traditional" for following years, with the number changed. However, if I read the other convention medal thread correctly, the inventory of medals in the database would become unmanageable changing every year, so that may not happen, if this one is adopted. The "imbalance" of colours was proportional to the countries that attended. Four flags had red and white in them.

Wales is a part of the UK, and already represented in that country's flag. This from a Welshman. :eek:

I approve this expedient and fully endorse the application of your suggestion Peter.
It will also obviate the need to add the green stripe for Italy should any pilot from that country attend in future years.
Rob.

If I add in the green, we will have all the colours of the Olympic Rings, and therefore an excellent idea for an international medal. The composition and layout of the colours was to be the interchangeable part of different conventions, or at least, that was my original intention. Which is why green wasn't in the original design for this medal.

Do we want a very thin green strip, as a compromise, or leave that for other conventions?

Boney10
09-29-2014, 10:52
Although I like the idea of a medal for this, if it continues, which I hope it does, but I seem to remember the problem with so many convention medals was to do with the admin keeping up the different types for each year.
To eleviate that problem could I suggest if a medal was to be considered it would just be a single Participant medal, no organiser or Gamesmaster, just one for attending, would this uncomplicated the issue ?
As for the ribbon, very nice having a representation for each nationality. But I would prefer a simple single colour with the medal, something to a single crimson aka the VC, with the year of participation medal attached. Then they only thing that needs to be changed would be the year number

Flying Officer Kyte
09-29-2014, 11:18
:salute: I have looked at all the suggestions here and have decided that Chris has the nub of what is required.
A single medal for the con. Although looking to Doncaster for next year, who knows what venue future years may bring?
Everyone who took part made sacrifices to the Con in some ways. Organizers of the event, hosts for our overseas guests, transportation, fixing hotel reservations, planning and executing games,taking the photographs, providing the food, producing sweat shirts, computer programming, or just paying for air travel and accommodation all adds up. Even the Oberst gave time and effort at long range to ensure the Trophies and my engraved glasses arrived on time, when he was very busy himself preparing for his trip to Europe.
To this end it would be unfair singling anyone out. All attendees should get a medal of the same kind.
However, I do want each country recognized, and therefore, am going with the multi-coloured ribbon, with the green band added after the red.
It will cover my back re Wales being a Principality in its own right, and after the near catastrophe with Scotland, I do not want to go down in history as the man who lost us Wales.
Rob.:lol:

tikkifriend
09-29-2014, 12:00
:salute: I have looked at all the suggestions here and have decided that Chris has the nub of what is required.
A single medal for the con. Although looking to Doncaster for next year, who knows what venue future years may bring?
Everyone who took part made sacrifices to the Con in some ways. Organizers of the event, hosts for our overseas guests, transportation, fixing hotel reservations, planning and executing games,taking the photographs, providing the food, producing sweat shirts, computer programming, or just paying for air travel and accommodation all adds up. Even the Oberst gave time and effort at long range to ensure the Trophies and my engraved glasses arrived on time, when he was very busy himself preparing for his trip to Europe.
To this end it would be unfair singling anyone out. All attendees should get a medal of the same kind.
However, I do want each country recognized, and therefore, am going with the multi-coloured ribbon, with the green band added after the red.
It will cover my back re Wales being a Principality in its own right, and after the near catastrophe with Scotland, I do not want to go down in history as the man who lost us Wales.

That sounds like the best solution Rob. The Green stripe could also cover any of our Irish pilots and Italian as mentioned should they participate.

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-29-2014, 14:09
All for one and one for all. Great idea Chris. But I too would love to keep the multi-coloured ribbon.

Blackronin
09-29-2014, 14:16
Excellent medals, Mike.
REP sent.

OldGuy59
09-29-2014, 15:29

Going with a single medal in one metal tone is good for any grade of issue. Taking the year out makes it work for any year of issue. In the original design, I used the colours of the original countries that participated. Otherwise, Teal would have made its appearance for Nightbomber. Throwing in a green strip would be OK, but I though I would put a very thin strip down the middle white strip. This would represent the small participation of one person, but being dead center would show the accuracy and deadliness of that particular individual. Heck, if we are going there, then crosshairs would be a more appropriate representation!

That sounds like the best solution Rob. The Green stripe could also cover any of our Irish pilots and Italian as mentioned should they participate.

Other countries that attend in the future would have to go with the "traditional" founding members' colours. It wouldn't change from year to year. If future Irish or Italian players want to claim the green crosshairs as their element, that is up to them, but it wouldn't be the reason the colour ended up on the ribbon.

To that end, here is the "Timeless" medal design:

PS: Hmmm... Perhaps UK Nationals vs Doncaster for future consideration?

Boney10
09-29-2014, 15:36
On a totally different tack, yet in keeping with the title, has any one heard from Itchy, is he ok ?

Flying Officer Kyte
09-29-2014, 23:59
To that end, here is the "Timeless" medal design:

PS: Hmmm... Perhaps UK Nationals vs Doncaster for future consideration?

I think the wording U.K. Convention is in line with our thinking Mike. It will not need changing if we move venues in future years.
I do want the green stripe after the red and the same size please instead of the cross hairs which I feel would not show up enough on the reduced size medal. That will settle the medal for all time. As you say future members who attend will also get the standard medal.
Thanks for all your work on this, and helping me to fix the final design in my mind.
Rob.

Boney10
09-30-2014, 02:14
If we use convention on the medal, will that not give the impression it is different to what it actually is.
A convention gives the impression of games , good, but also trade stands to buy kit, which it doesn't, except the gift shop.
However for next year I may have a solution if some discussions I have been prepping work to fruition.

johnbiggles
09-30-2014, 04:04
If we use convention on the medal, will that not give the impression it is different to what it actually is.
A convention gives the impression of games , good, but also trade stands to buy kit, which it doesn't, except the gift shop.
However for next year I may have a solution if some discussions I have been prepping work to fruition.

With this in mind, and the genuinely "family" feeling of the event, were we not a "Gathering" rather than a convention?

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-30-2014, 04:10
For my tuppencehappenyworth, IMHO, I would like to see 1 medal with 2014 added for all those who attended.

A separate generic one for the years after, same design but no year.

That way only those who attended the inaugural event get the special 2014, all others in future years the generic one.

Neil

Brambo
09-30-2014, 04:15
Thats a very nice medal Mike, maybe it should be known as the 'Marion Medal' ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
09-30-2014, 07:11

The Oxford English Dictionary has this to say Chris.

A large (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/large#large__3) meeting (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/meeting#meeting__3) or conference (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/conference#conference__3), especially of members (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/member#member__6) of a political (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/political#political__3) party (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/party#party__8) or a particular (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/particular#particular__3) profession (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/profession#profession__4) or group (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/group#group__3):

I think that pretty well covers it.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-30-2014, 07:13
For my tuppencehappenyworth, IMHO, I would like to see 1 medal with 2014 added for all those who attended.

A separate generic one for the years after, same design but no year.

That way only those who attended the inaugural event get the special 2014, all others in future years the generic one.

Neil

Some mileage there Neil. Let's see what Mike thinks of the idea.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-30-2014, 07:16
With this in mind, and the genuinely "family" feeling of the event, were we not a "Gathering" rather than a convention?

I always think that a gathering is the sort of thing we did in the sixties John.
Before anyone says it, no not the 1860s.:D
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-30-2014, 07:27
1760's, then?

Flying Officer Kyte
09-30-2014, 07:32
1760's, then?

I resemble that remark ex Squadron Leader.:smack:
Oh! and your request for a Courts Martial of Hedeby is turned down.
Kyte.

OldGuy59
09-30-2014, 08:10
I think the wording U.K. Convention is in line with our thinking Mike. It will not need changing if we move venues in future years.
I do want the green stripe after the red and the same size please instead of the cross hairs which I feel would not show up enough on the reduced size medal. That will settle the medal for all time. As you say future members who attend will also get the standard medal.
Thanks for all your work on this, and helping me to fix the final design in my mind.
Rob.
Rob,
Just to be clear, where am I putting this green strip? There are two red ones. And a new strip means resizing all the colors to make them equal. Just saying to ensure I align to your vision.

Wording for the medal could arch across the top. BTW: We need to get approval from Oberst Hajj for the medal, and more than one (IE: one with a year, one generic) may not be approved. If we do that, the year could go in the middle, then a plane for the generic one? Which plane?

Flying Officer Kyte
09-30-2014, 12:25
I don't want to make all that extra work for you Mike. Just run the green stripe down the middle in place of the extra white.

Let's arch over the top then and put the year in each time. No need for a generic one then.
Rob.