PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia BottosCon 2014

OldGuy59
09-20-2014, 13:40
No-one posted this yet? Ooops.

Site: BottosCon 2014 (https://ca.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BottosCon/info)

BottosCon: A Mere Matter of Gaming

Nov. 7-9, 2014
Vancouver Sheraton Guildford Hotel, Surrey, British Columbia

The North Shore Wargaming Society is proud to host BottosCon 2013, our EIGHTH ANNUAL gaming convention for all gamers in the Greater Vancouver area and Pacific Northwest.

I'm planning on hosting the following:

Friday night: Furball with Fokker D.VIIs vs Sopwith Snipes. I now have 5 each, and if we need more mayhem, Rob can throw more into the mix.

Saturday morning: Nothing set, but the tables should be available for something. I should set up an Early Days scenario for the 100th Anniversary of the start of the Great War.

Saturday afternoon: Defend London. Gotha bombers, or something else, will be on the way to London. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to stop the raid! If I get the model I want, it will be nearly impossible! Carnage will ensue, regardless of whether the raid gets through or not.

Saturday night: The 2nd Annual Dogfight Challenge. Rob wants to win this as Top Ace, not the Bullet Magnet award like last year. Roger is looking at defending his title. I am in discussions with the ARES North American Rep for prize support. If I get what I am asking for, it will be awesome for all the participants!

This year's Wings of Glory appearance will be a bigger blast than last year, I'm sooo pumped.

Hope to see some of you there!

Kenji
09-20-2014, 17:25
I hope this is a smashing success Mike!

OldGuy59
11-05-2014, 17:31
Well, ARES is dragging it's heels, and I don't think anything is coming from them for this Con, but Dave [Clipper1801] came through Big Time!

This will be doing the bombing run on London Saturday Afternoon:

Seven people signed up for the Dogfight Challenge Saturday Night.

I'm almost ready to go, gathering planes and prizes. Imperial Hobbies, in Richmond, BC is providing a Dual Pack and some minis, along with my Dual Pack. Should be another blast.

Teaticket
11-05-2014, 18:43
Sounds like you are putting on a great FOG show! That Zeppelin will be a hit for sure!

I'll be at Fall In. I'm not running anything official but will run a game or two.

OldGuy59
11-08-2014, 02:38
Got to BottosCon, and set up:

This year's display is a bit more colorful, with a 13x19 Wings of Glory image on both sides of the poster board. You can just make out the D.VIIs and Snipes set out for the Friday Night Furball. More on that later.

Close-up of the display. In front are the Zeppelin (attracting lots of attention, from all the gamers, not just the Wings of Glory crowd. Lots of complements on your work, Dave!), a few of my minis showing different periods and types of planes (paper models, too), as well as the Dual Pack and minis provided by Imperial Hobbies.
As you can see, I borrowed the WWI Game Turn Sequence cards by Beau [Beaunanza] (Found: Here (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1860)), among other files by him, and pasted them to the board. The Game Turn Sequence was printed(x6), put in page protectors and spread around the table for the uninitiated.

A new player this evening asked, trepidatiously, how long it would take to learn to play (an Advanced Squad Leader player, I found out later). I asked if he had three minutes. The rest of the crowd laughed, and said I was giving the long version. His eyebrows went up, he smiled, and grabbed a seat!

Flying Officer Kyte
12-23-2014, 01:28
Just catching up with this thread Mike.
A very good looking set up.
I do like your vis aids. We can always pick up ideas from each others displays.
I will add those to my repertoire in future too.
At the moment I am just using large examples of each movement card to demonstrate with. I must make a set of Damage cards as well, but the bombing aid will be a very useful addition. Funny thing is I have a laminated copy of it in my own folder at home but never thought of taking it to a show.
Thanks for sharing this.
Rob.

Boney10
12-23-2014, 01:41
Nice setup Mike, I like the backdrop.

grumpybear
12-23-2014, 04:45
Great job Mike ,wish I could attend. Possibly next year.

BobRoberts
01-18-2015, 16:30
Mike, better late than never. Thank you again for hosting a great event at BottosCon. Wish I could have got in on the Zeppelin hunt. Rest assured, Wings of Glory will remain a featured event at BottosCon.

One note of feedback, most of the guys I spoke with would have preferred if the Friday night furball had been more historically based. Other than that, everyone enjoyed the event.

OldGuy59
01-18-2015, 21:46
Mike, better late than never. Thank you again for hosting a great event at BottosCon. Wish I could have got in on the Zeppelin hunt. Rest assured, Wings of Glory will remain a featured event at BottosCon.

One note of feedback, most of the guys I spoke with would have preferred if the Friday night furball had been more historically based. Other than that, everyone enjoyed the event.

Rob,
It was a blast, in more ways than one. Especially the collision that took out the Zeppelin in a blaze of glory. Darell [grumpybear] is considering joining in next year. That would be awesome.

The Friday Night Furball was supposed to be only DVIIs vs Snipes, and I wanted it to be a real Furball. So, everyone against everyone. I think that was the main bone of contention, that everyone was a target. Unrealistic, perhaps, but lots of shooting. If I recall correctly, this is the way the 100-person event was run in Italy.

Also, I was asked to allow people to fly their own planes, and I agreed. Then I found out they had something other than late period planes, it was a bit late to retract the permission. They were warned about the discrepancy in performance, but they wanted to use them. We could put a restriction on the period of conflict for next year, but it was supposed to be a shoot-up, and they got shot up.

Mike :)