PDA

View Full Version : fallen ace

swarbs
08-26-2010, 16:55
Paging through the NYtimes today as I'm wont to do and came across this in the obituaries:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/world/europe/26albert.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries

Marcel Albert, French ace flying the Yak-1 on the Eastern front in WWII and Hero of the Soviet Union. Marcel Albert's squadron-mate Albert Durand is featured in the WWII Fire from the Sky box, and upcoming minis set.

It was only last week that bag-piper Bill Millen also passed (remember the piper on the beach in The Longest Day). Sad to see these brave men, and links with our history, pass away, so I figured I'd post this to offer a salute.

Coog
08-26-2010, 18:46
It's sad to see the WWII vets becoming fewer and fewer. My dad had some great stories of his experiences during the war but like a lot of vets he did not talk about them until later in his life.

Hanomag
08-27-2010, 09:45
Indeed. My grandfather served in the PTO but he's never talked about it. I have a picture of him and MacArthur, but hes never said anything about it.

A good friend my mine's dad served in Europe and kinda followed the band of brother. They covered the flank of the 101st AB. He had some cool stories.

-H

CappyTom
09-11-2010, 19:07
I thank them that have served and those who are active duty now. Salute!

Tom

tuladin
09-11-2010, 19:47
Here! Here!

A sad anniversary day like today can make you think of all the dangers in the world, and those who protect us from them.

HardRock
09-12-2010, 04:51
My uncle is the last of five brothers that served in WWII, two didn't come home. He only started talking about it the last few years. He was ETO B-17 radio operator, shotdown on his 6th mission, spent the rest of the war as a guest of the Luftwaffe. If you watch the Memphis Belle documentary, you will see his plane in the take-off sequence, Hell-No-Gal.

My daughter has completed one tour of Iraq and is enjoying the rain in Germany right now. Service in my family jumps one generation, I had medical issues when I was younger, thank god she didn't have those passed down to her.

Thanks to ALL who serve, past, present and future.

Henry