PDA

View Full Version : Fokker D VIII

krolik
08-19-2010, 13:13
I just picked up a Fokker D VIII from Reviresco, and I'm wondering what deck to use for it?

L Deck?

M Deck?

Something else?

Snowy
08-19-2010, 14:39
Victor, you would use L deck.

Check out this chart to download, it is an excellent tool.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=395

Also, if you are looking for a WOW mini, check this. There was at least 1 Udet Fokker DVII available.

http://www.worldatplaygames.com/wings-of-war-ffgww08c.html

David Kuijt
08-19-2010, 17:06
Victor, you would use L deck.

Also, if you are looking for a WOW mini, check this. There was at least 1 Udet Fokker DVII available.

Snowy, you may have misread -- Victor was asking about the deck for a Fokker D8, not for a Fokker D7. He has a D8 (Reviresco model).

Akosion
08-20-2010, 08:00
Victor,
I'd say the Fokker E.V is best served by the M deck. It's relatively fast, maneuverable, and has the "handedness" associated with rotary engines. The D.VIII designation was, as I understand it, for the E.V with a new wing that would stay on. About two dozen were built with a more powerful engine, and would be more like an N deck- maybe with an additional sharp turn and wide sideslip to the right.
best regards
Aris K.

Snowy
08-20-2010, 10:55
Good save David. :)

Boy, I need to get my glasses changed. I missed the extra 'I' in 'D VIII'.

Sorry for the mis information Victor.

I am curious about the answer too!

krolik
08-20-2010, 22:22
Thanks for the input.

I was wondering if the D VIII/ E V could "hang" on it's prop like the D VII.

Akosion
08-22-2010, 05:43
I haven't read anything to that effect- but I'm not a WWI expert by any means. In any case, the E.V only flew operationally for a couple of weeks, and had problems the whole of that time caused by poor quality castor oil for the engine- and that was before the wings started flying off. So maybe its full potential never came through, in contrast to the D.VII that served longer. It would be interesting to find what the Poles who flew some D.VIIIs after the war have to say about it...
Aris K.