PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer: Nigel gets his shots off.

Flying Officer Kyte
08-19-2010, 08:58
As dawn broke over the lines and Nigel Bouncer- Smythe and I headed for Hunland, I wondered if I had done the right thing, in allowing young Nigel to fly the Biff whilst I piloted the new and as yet untried Snipe. It was fresh out from Blighty only days before and really needed more testing. Still the orders from Wing were quite explicit. Get the Recon photographs at all costs, and with Ginger Blaney missing, and presumed dead last night, there was only Nigel to fall back on, and after all he was a bit of a whizz with a camera.
So here we were, flying into the stiff easterly wind, with the golden dawn, and God only knew how many Huns in front of us.
Meanwhile, over Jasta 11 airfield near Lechelle, Rittm Manfred von Richthofen, his brother Lothar, and Hans Wolf were just climbing for height on their morning patrol, with the golden orb of the Sun behind them.
Nigel had lost height in order to start his first photographic run, before we were aware of the three Triplanes, tearing down on us out of the glare of the Sun.
Wolf headed straight for me, with his Spandaus stuttering, whilst Manfred and Lothar turned on the hapless Nigel, now on his vulnerable photographic run.
The first burst from Wolf hit me in the engine and a shard from my windshield seared across my brow wounding me and severing the elastic of my goggles.My own guns responded as we raced toward each other, and although half blinded by the wind on my exposed eyes, I saw the bullets strike home on his machine. Fortunately I had chosen to dive, in order to keep station on Nigel, as he decended for his photographic run. This meant that instead of a head on crash, i just managed to slip under Wolf's suicidal charge. he turned rapidly to get on my tail, but it was here that my Snipe proved it's worth. With it's better turning circle, I was soon on his tail, and pumping lead into him. In spite of his attempts at shaking me off, I continued to tail him until a spurt of flame told me that I had delivered the coup de grace to him. Instead of following him down, I dived after Nigel to try and stave off his inevitable demise at the hands of the Richthofen brothers.

However, all was not as it seemed. Nigel persued his majestic and inperturbable course as if no threat assailed him, whilst his rear gunner delivered a withering fire onto Manfred, who now developed engine trouble, just as his brother got a jammed left rudder causing him to cut across Nigel's front arc at close range.
By now I was on Manfred's tail and with a stall each turn, he had no chance of out running the Snipe and soon went the way of Wolf, smoking down to the ground, to make a forced landing.
Nigel had by now completed his photos and headed off for the lines with yours truly lagging behind to ensure that Lothar did not try any last minute heroics. having witnessed the fire power of the Biff, I don't think my ministrations were really needed. Apparently neither did young Richthofen, because it was not long before he headed off to see what had become of his brother.
Postscript. Miraculously neither Wolff nor Manfred were injured in the crashes, and will both cross swords with Kyte and Bouncer-Smythe again.

Goering Ace
08-19-2010, 10:29
Love the way you tell the story, Rob. I feel like I was there, observing from a safe distance in my own plane. Great photos too!!
Keep 'em coming!!:)

Scott

Guntruck
08-19-2010, 10:48
A tale well told, my friend :)

Nice pics as well, not to mention the 'product placement' ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
08-19-2010, 10:51
A tale well told, my friend :)

Nice pics as well, not to mention the 'product placement' ;)

Got to keep the Col. in beer money Steve. ;)
Rob.

gregbond77
08-19-2010, 14:52
Great report, great pictures. Ever think of writing a book?

rrodrick
08-19-2010, 15:33
Thanks for sharing!!! Great read.

Snowy
08-19-2010, 16:58
Now that is the way to give an after battle report.

Enjoyed it muchly!

Oberst Hajj
08-19-2010, 23:21
Very well done 'ol chap! Your reports are fun to read and they even have pretty pictures for those of us who can't!

Flying Officer Kyte
08-19-2010, 23:48
Great report, great pictures. Ever think of writing a book?

Nope!
Rob.

Snowy
08-29-2010, 17:59
Rob, I have almost finished Lothar's Dr1. My model, starting with Rahn's Dr1, I repainted the top wing and the tail section yellow wash. Rahn's model has a blue fin on the wheel wing section so I had to decide what color to use.

I see yours is green and on the card is seems that it may be red.

When doing some research, it looks like Lothar did a progressive paint job and that all the above could be right.

I am thinking of making it red and having done with it, rather than trying to match that shade of green. Hmmmm.

Any suggestions?

I am very pleased so far and I used a yellow ink wash to bring out the subtle details.

Cheers!

Erin.

Flying Officer Kyte
08-31-2010, 02:22
You are quite right Erin. Most of Jasta 11 seem to have changed the paint jobs in a progressive way over a short period. You only need to look at Manfred's planes to witness that. Unless you are a real anachronism junkie, just pick a plane in one of his colours to paint, otherwise you will have to paint planes up in different colours for virtually every week of the war.
Rob.

Naharaht
08-31-2010, 05:06
Well done! A good description and good photos.

Hamburger
09-01-2010, 17:54
Well the paint is different because after putting holes in each other's planes, you can just try a new paint job over it!!!

Flying Officer Kyte
09-02-2010, 12:54
Well the paint is different because after putting holes in each other's planes, you can just try a new paint job over it!!!

Thats O.K.then.:rolleyes:
Rob.

Aero825
09-09-2010, 13:41
Nice report and good flying. Of course, Manfred Lothar & Wolf wouldn't have been so lucky if I was there:D. Keep your guns hot!

Hunter

Wolfbiter
09-09-2010, 14:11
A jolly good read, Kyte. How do you like the performance of the Sopwith Snipe? I'm thinking of picking up one for the wife. Is it better to fly than a Camel?

Aero825
09-09-2010, 14:19
Better, yes. Easier, no.

Aero825
09-09-2010, 14:23
To-F.O. Kyte: One more thing, what is that thing on the right in photo #8?

Hunter

Flying Officer Kyte
09-09-2010, 14:53
Nice report and good flying. Of course, Manfred Lothar & Wolf wouldn't have been so lucky if I was there:D. Keep your guns hot!

Hunter

We were astounded too. For two to go down and draw green cards, is unheard of in our previous games:confused:.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-09-2010, 14:55
To-F.O. Kyte: One more thing, what is that thing on the right in photo #8?

Hunter

That is an army lorry in convoy. One of the photographic objectives for young Nigel to find.
Rob.

Galland
09-09-2010, 15:19
Very nice pictures Rob!!
1 only question...
How did those DR1 got a pilot inside of them??

I had the problem of pilotless planes and Im triing to fix it..

Flying Officer Kyte
09-10-2010, 00:18
1 only question...

Try

www.peterpig.co.uk

They do pilots and also observers, but they take a bit of finding as I recall so do a search when you hit the site.

Rob.

I just checked. They are under Heads and Odds.

Aero825
09-11-2010, 12:17
1 only question...

I was wondering that to. Thanks for the info Rob.

Hunter