PDA

View Full Version : What other conflicts would you like to see Wings of Glory depict?

LukefromNJ
06-08-2014, 10:15
Would you like to see Wings of Glory expand to depict other aerial conflicts? Please vote below (multiple choices permitted)

Coog
06-08-2014, 10:19
I'm not seeing the poll to your post.

LukefromNJ
06-08-2014, 10:21
Poll now submitted

Lt. S.Kafloc
06-08-2014, 10:38
Would love to see the Russo/Finnish war.

Diamondback
06-08-2014, 11:23
IMO, anything after Korea becomes problematic due to missile mechanics--noted Skunk Works engineer and stealth guru Ben Rich once observed "they're called MISSiles rather than HITtles because they miss much more often than they hit", and it's telling to note that about half the F-106 force assigned to defense of American skies had their tactical nukes ripped out and Gatling guns stuffed in in their place.

grumpybear
06-08-2014, 18:28
I voted WW1 and 2 but would like to see planes from 1914 to end of WW2

Jager
06-09-2014, 03:35
It would take a major reworking of the WoG engine to include missiles. Having played a variety of Modern air games (Air War, Air Superiority, Speed of the Heat et al.),
I really can't say that it would make an enjoyable game.
It can probably handle anything up to 1954/56 when the first Sidewinder HS missiles came out.
Karl

TALLY HO
06-09-2014, 04:42
There are still so many aircraft needed in the periods already covered that to diversify into other conflicts would slow down the release dates, so i voted to stick with what they already do

Flying Helmut
06-09-2014, 11:02
I voted for no more - I'm still far off getting all I would like for WW1, and I haven't even started getting WW2 (yet!)

Flying Officer Kyte
06-09-2014, 11:05
I don't stray far outside the realms of WW2.
Rob.

Naharaht
06-09-2014, 19:32
The Russo/Finnish War was part of WW2.

gully_raker
06-10-2014, 00:05
:D I voted anything that just used WW1 & WW2 aircraft.
We still have so many Aircraft that can be made for those alone.

Zoe Brain
06-11-2014, 05:04
WWI effectively included post-1918 stoushes in the East. Carpathian war, Czech independence, Hungarian Revolution, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finnish Civil War, Georgia, Ukraine, not just Poland and Red vs White. It also included the war for Turkish independence, "the Empire Strikes Back" with the enthused Turks and Greeks fighting it out, and the not-so-enthused French, Italians, British and Russians half-heartedly(or even quarter-heartedly) involved. The French Black Sea Fleet actually mutinied. So 1914-1923.

WWII - Sino-Japanese from 1935-ish. From 1946, Jets made too much of a difference, though you can have Spitfire vs Spitfire confrontations as late as Suez (1956).

Nightbomber
06-11-2014, 05:44
What Zoe wrote :thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
06-11-2014, 12:17
It is great to see Zoe back on form to write extended info like this.
Hope your burns are progressing well Zoe.
Rob.

Blackronin
06-11-2014, 12:52
It is great to see Zoe back on form to write extended info like this.
Hope your burns are progressing well Zoe.
Rob.

Ditto! :)

AlgyLacey
06-11-2014, 13:18
Maybe a stack of missile cards that say things like: "Missile fails to ignite and drops off uselessly into the jungle below". Or "heat seeker locks on to powerful heat source, 90,000,000 miles is way beyond its max range though" or "Missile roars off the rails only to inexplicably vanish altogether 2 seconds later. Your tax dollars at work". How about "smoke roars from the missiles rear end but fails to boost it clear of its rail. The sidewinder then just hangs there looking stupid."? Or "violent evasive action causes the missile to try to knot itself. It breaks in half and explodes uselessly in the middle of nowhere.";)

On second thoughts lets stick to all gunfight conflicts.

Blackronin
06-11-2014, 13:54
The 1950-60 missiles are low tech enough that using them can be fun.
The Israeli Air Force, after seeing the French missiles in action demanded that their Mirage-3's should be fitted with a 20mm cannon.
During the air combats in the 6 days war, many Arabic planes were shot down by cannon fire.

I won't play Jet era air combat but... the F-86 is something I would like to maneuver. :)

prymus
06-11-2014, 20:46
I'm for sticking with what they're currently doing. Agree that there is still so much that could be done in the 2 categories. Though I suppose the interwar years could fall into the two.

Boney10
06-12-2014, 00:08
I'm happy with staying WW1 and WW2, still plenty to be going on with, Roland's, Phonix, Pups, Do17, JU88, Blenheims, Battles and Defiants to name a few.
That's not touching the Pacific and Late Europe

Kubajs
06-12-2014, 00:16
I'm happy with staying WW1 and WW2, still plenty to be going on with, Roland's, Phonix, Pups, Do17, JU88, Blenheims, Battles and Defiants to name a few.

Clearly agree.
I would also add some russian planes - Sturmovik, La-5/7, Yak-9, Mig-3

Dan-Sam
06-12-2014, 00:56
I am happy with WWI and WWII. Just continue with supporting early and and start with mid war years of WWII - there are still plenty of types that I want (Marcel Bloch, Buffalo, I-16, SB-2, Spitfire Mk.V, Hurricane Mk.II+,...).

AlgyLacey
06-12-2014, 09:31
I am happy with WWI and WWII. Just continue with supporting early and and start with mid war years of WWII - there are still plenty of types that I want (Marcel Bloch, Buffalo, I-16, SB-2, Spitfire Mk.V, Hurricane Mk.II+,...).

I think you're right. I weakened and bought a P51, two Dora's and a Spit 9 a while back and while they're nice ships games tend to involve just one or two firing passes and the loser is left hitting the silk or just hitting the ground. I really wish I'd got in when you could get the Spitfire 1s and 109e or gone with the Gladiators and a Falco or two.

Dan-Sam
06-12-2014, 10:19
Offtopic:

Dave, I think there are some Vybirals and LeMesuriers for 200 CZK (6Ł). Do you need some?

flash
06-12-2014, 11:18
So long as it didn't impact on WW1/2 releases any wars up to Korea.

Doug
06-12-2014, 14:53
I have a big enough collection already. I do not have the space or time to expand into any other periods, just WW1 and early WW2 for me.

steel_ratt
06-19-2014, 09:45
Peloponnesian war?
Don't you think that the movement system would work great for Phalanxes, Peltasts, and Cavalry!

(Only half joking here. :))

Guntruck
06-21-2014, 08:49
I voted Spanish Civil War as it is not too far removed from WW2, and some aircraft were used in both conflicts.

Blackronin
06-21-2014, 09:00
I voted Spanish Civil War as it is not too far removed from WW2, and some aircraft were used in both conflicts.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Barkmann
08-02-2014, 13:20
Other. I guess that the pre World War Two conflicy between China/Soviet Union and Japan would be great.
Thanks

Nick

Barkmann
08-02-2014, 13:20
Other. I guess that the pre World War Two conflicy between China/Soviet Union and Japan would be great.
Thanks

Nick

Greywolf
08-02-2014, 14:06
I voted "other" as I would like to see the Soviet-Finns war done.

My other choice would be modern theatre where I could use the A10 Thunderbolt II.

Cheers
Alan

Пилот
09-02-2014, 05:03
Basically, any conflict which uses WW1 and WW2 planes. Other conflicts are not excluded as such, but I'm not sure how it would work with WoG rules.

FarEast
09-02-2014, 05:35
I really would like to see more early WWI aircraft there are some fantastic aircraft that paved the way for everything else!

FarEast
09-02-2014, 05:41
Thanks

Nick

The first powered flight was from Yoyogi Koen in central Tokyo and there is are 2 bronze busts that celebrate these two early Japanese aviators in the "Airplane Cradle" in Yoyogi Koen.

Some history:

In April 1910, the Army dispatched Capt. Kumazo Hino (1878–1946) to Germany and Capt. Yo****oshi Tokugawa (1884–1963) to France. Although both had backgrounds in engineering, they had been entrusted with the daunting task of leaving Japan and mastering the still comparatively new-fangled art of flying. More than six years had passed since the Wright Brothers were believed to have recorded the world’s first flight of a heavier-than-air machine in the United States.

To these two men would fall the chance to emulate the feat on a lesser scale and allow Japan to take its place among the small number of mainly European countries at the forefront of aviation. At the time of their departure for foreign shores, Hino was close to celebrating his 32nd birthday, while Tokugawa was only 25.

It was from then still sparsely wooded Yoyogi Plain, between December 13 and 19, 1910, that the pair of newly qualified, recently returned pilots publicly demonstrated two of the three state-of-the-art aircraft that they had been given capital sanction to acquire while overseas: Hino a Grade Libelle (Dragonfly) monoplane, Tokugawa a Henri Farman biplane. (Tokugawa had also purchased a Blériot.)

After WWI Japan was using the Sopwith Camel and Snipe and many of the aircraft were shipped to Japan from the UK as is, they then just painted over the white and blue of the roundel with red. Several Japanese Aircraft were designed from these, they were also worked closely with UK aircraft manufacturers before the outbreak of WWII and it is believed that Hawker Aircraft Limited helped in the design of the first Mitsubishi A6M.

LOOP
09-02-2014, 05:46
Reading all your replys point at the same general direction. Stick to WW1 and WW2.
If there are some other wars that can use these AC:s fine but I think it would be better if they focus on what they already do so well.

Introducing jets.... well I agree with Jager. That cant be done without reworking the gameengine.
I'll keep on flying my WW1 AC:s ;)

LukefromNJ
09-09-2014, 09:47
I think it would be missiles rather than jets that would require reworking the game engine; guns-only jets like the Korean-era F-86 and MiG-15 (and Me262 for that matter) could work with the existing system.

ChyronDave
09-09-2014, 12:06
I vote to add the Korean War, but I definitely want more WW1 and WW2 planes. While it would be neat to see some of modern era planes in this scale, the planes from the pre-Korean era I think make for better gaming.

LOOP
09-10-2014, 01:01
I think it would be missiles rather than jets that would require reworking the game engine; guns-only jets like the Korean-era F-86 and MiG-15 (and Me262 for that matter) could work with the existing system.

There are allways the speed issue.... But as with WWI and WWII, if you don't mix them it will work..

Dan-Sam
09-10-2014, 01:19
For me, the last planes should be Me.262 and Gloster Meteor (may be some experimentals in special edition too). Just end with them WWII and go back to early years! :)

By the way, congrats to you first hundred, Per-Gunnar :FOK:

LOOP
09-10-2014, 01:20
For me, the last planes should be Me.262 and Gloster Meteor (may be some experimentals in special edition too). Just end with them WWII and go back to early years! :)

By the way, congrats to you first hundred, Per-Gunnar :FOK:

Thanks ;)

LukefromNJ
09-10-2014, 08:42
Maybe a way to handle jets is have them maneuver using physically larger cards than propeller aircraft use? Even if no jets were made, a ROKAF F-51 vs a Yak-9 is a dogfight I would like to see.

john snelling
09-10-2014, 13:23
There are still so many aircraft needed in the periods already covered that to diversify into other conflicts would slow down the release dates, so i voted to stick with what they already do

I must agree. I'm only into WW1 so until they get the majors done I say no others.

LOOP
09-11-2014, 00:06
Maybe a way to handle jets is have them maneuver using physically larger cards than propeller aircraft use? Even if no jets were made, a ROKAF F-51 vs a Yak-9 is a dogfight I would like to see.

This is in line with my thoughts aboute the game-engine. Perhaps a longer base-stand or allways playing an extra straight after every move....
But as jet gets faster and faster the "risk" of running into a propp-driven AC in combat will get smaller and smaller so maybe it will not be a big problem.
Then there are Helicopters....

FarEast
09-11-2014, 00:59
If you use larger cards you'll need larger plaing areas so logically you would need to reduce the scale to make it playable on the average table.

LOOP
09-11-2014, 01:04
If you use larger cards you'll need larger plaing areas so logically you would need to reduce the scale to make it playable on the average table.

I agree. It will be like WWI and WWII

Blackronin
09-11-2014, 01:12
I'm really interested in see how the M-262 and He-163 will be dealt with in this current scale. I really don't feel the need to have a Jet Era game when there are still so much to do with WW1 and WW2.

Jager
09-11-2014, 11:53

This problem was run into with the Fighting Wings game; the Me-262, Gloster and P-80 tended to run off the board; resetting isn't hard with a hex-grid, but irritating. Far more difficult with WoG.
Karl

Пилот
09-11-2014, 23:53
Post WW2 jets probably should go to 1:300 with larger cards...

And for WW2, I don't know how it should be dealt with... Maybe with some extra maneuver card, something like
Maneuver 1 - all;
Maneuver 2 - jets only;
Maneuver 3 - all
etc.

Jager
09-12-2014, 00:37
Post WW2 jets probably should go to 1:300 with larger cards...

And for WW2, I don't know how it should be dealt with... Maybe with some extra maneuver card, something like
Maneuver 1 - all;
Maneuver 2 - jets only;
Maneuver 3 - all
etc.

More likely, a longer or additional move card each phase.
This is something on my "look at" list, when I find the copious spare time people keep talking about ;)
Karl

Пилот
09-12-2014, 15:11
That's usual solution - and probably expected :)

But it raises "end of the world problem". Faster plane with not much of speed control (on limited area) is more likely to leave the field.

Thunderbolt
09-13-2014, 09:45
I think conflicts after WW2 are bit difficult to recreate in this game mechanics due to implementation of jet engines and rocket missiles. My ideas are Polish-Russian War 1920 and Spanish Civil War. But in fact there are a lot of aircrafts for WW1 and WW2 to be included, so I would appreciate focusing on that now.

LukefromNJ
09-14-2014, 18:25
But it raises "end of the world problem". Faster plane with not much of speed control (on limited area) is more likely to leave the field.

The SPAD XIII in WGF already handles like that; perhaps a jet could use the same or a similar set of cards (where the arrow goes right to the edge of the card)?

Пилот
09-15-2014, 01:01
Unfortunately, it'll be to slow for the jets, and newest releases (Dora, Spit IX, Mustang, Nakajima) alrady use cards longer than usual. So (at least for now), I see either extra movement phase (jets only), or much longer cards, or double movement as solution.

Rafał, you are right, and I support your opinion. That's why I would like to keep discussion about jets only at WW2 :)

LS650
10-12-2014, 14:07
I would like to see more involving the Spanish Civil War.

I just don't see WoG translating well into a much faster moving pace with missile fire, etc.