PDA

View Full Version : Prequel to Operation Dynamo( Malta option)

Flying Officer Kyte
05-30-2014, 05:26
It was only just after seven in the morning, when the klaxon sounded. The battered Gladiators of George, Peter and Timber had only just touched down for refueling and repairs, before Bouncer-Smythe and Robin "Tubby" Elliott were sprinting across the field to their waiting Hurricanes. Still trying to cram the last part of a bacon sandwich into his mouth at the same time as donning his flying kit was proving a difficult task for Peter.

"The Eyeties have certainly got it in for us today Bouncer" remarked Tubby as he wiped the remains of a fried egg from the corner of his mouth.

"Well let's make them regret it old mate." replied Peter as he struggled into his Mae West.

As soon as the Trolley Acc. had been wheeled away both aircraft taxied onto the runway, took off and headed due East to intercept the incoming bandits.

Soon the R.T. crackled. " Banjo to black Leader"

"Black Leader here Banjo. What's the S.P."

"Banjo to Black Leader." Looks like a Fighter sweep of about three aircraft heading in over Hot Dog."

"Roger that Banjo. We'll see if we can spice up the Hot Dog for them.
Black Leader out."

Peter and Robin soon picked up the incoming enemy just to the West of Valletta.

"Looks like three Macchi C 200s Rob. Let's give them a pincer between us, but watch out for any top cover lurking up there near those clouds. Don't want to get bounced ourselves."

"Wilco that Pete. Let's go then."

With no more ado, Robin sheared off to the right, as Peter dived straight into the middle of the formation of Italians scattering them all over the sky, but taking a few knocks from the combined fire power of two as he swept past.
Pulling an Immelmann he soon got onto the tail of the last man in the flight and delivered a devastating fusillade, abetted by Tubby who was attacking from its flank.
The result was inevitable, and as smoke started to emerge from the engine, the Macchi turned over onto its back, and the canopy of a parachute opened above it.

"One" said Robin over the R.T.

"Let's get the others then." Came back Peter's reply.

For the next few minutes the air was full of manoeuvrings aircraft, all trying to gain an advantageous position. However, from the shots that were finding their mark, it was obvious that Peter and Robin were getting the upper hand.
Finally Peter got on the tail of the Flight Leader, and hosed his aircraft from stem to stern. Without any sign that the pilot had been hit, it simply fell onto one wing and spiraled into the ground.

"Let's call that one each Rob." said Peter.

"O.K. that Pete, but where's the other blighter gone." retorted Rob.

"Last I saw of him he was high tailing it back out over the Med towards Sicily with a very poorly engine. Unless you fancy a long tail chase, and an even longer swim back, I suggest we nurse these two back to Hal Far and grab the rest of our breakfast."

That is just what they did.

This was Stormkahn's first introduction to the Solo rules. Flying as Peter Bouncer-Smythe, I was ably abetted by Dave in the role of Tubby Elliott. The three AI. Macchis were no match to the flying skills of the Hurricane pilots, with an incredible run of good luck with the chits.
This is the prelude to the events due to take place later in the day when I run the official Malta scenario three, which I hope to get up on the Drome during the next week.
I'm fairly certain that Dave had a good evening, and that this had very little to do with the beer.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
05-30-2014, 08:32
Rob is this to be chalked up as an official mission for the spreadsheet?
Question though, are the B chits a trifle excessive? 6 then 8?

Flying Officer Kyte
05-30-2014, 09:23
No need to chalk it up as it was not really a set mission, just one we played last night and as such not really solo in the true sense of the word. The chits were just the total hits scored when the aircraft went down. To be honest Dave did most of the chipping away I was just lucky to pull the big ones at the end. He should really also have got the escapee. It only had three points left and a damaged engine. If we had been playing longer he could have run it down well before it got back to Italian territory.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
05-30-2014, 16:05
OK Rob, treat as a warmer into the bank. No record on the spreadsheet.

gully_raker
05-30-2014, 19:17
:thumbsup: I see you have been reading up on WW2 pilot bios Rob.;)
Got all the Radio chatter just right.

Nice job on those Machii's.:salute::pint:

Flying Officer Kyte
05-30-2014, 23:27
Cheers Baz.
I have been reading up on a few of the famous pilots like George Beurling, and noted the casual way they chatted, especially to the tower, not always sticking to protocol as strictly as the war film makers would lead us to believe
Rob.

Blackronin
05-31-2014, 11:38
Excellent appetizer, Rob. Waiting for the main course...