PDA

View Full Version : Altitude advantage and climb rates

Пилот
05-25-2014, 05:00
Well, guys and girls, seems to me that airplanes with better climb rates don't gain much of it. So, I was thinking about some changes.

If both airplanes are on the same level, and both have no climb counters, better rated airplane gets firing from above advantage.
If both airplanes have any climb counters, better rated airplane gets firing from above advantage.
If one has no climb counters, and other has, the latter gets firing from above advantage.

This would also give new value to ceiling, as it would encourage planes to go to higher altitudes.

What do you think? Would it maybe give too much advantage to faster climbers? I haven't seriously playtested it yet, but I'm interested to hear what do you think.

fast.git
05-25-2014, 07:07
Well, guys and girls, seems to me that airplanes with better climb rates don't gain much of it. So, I was thinking about some changes.

If both airplanes are on the same level, and both have no climb counters, better rated airplane gets firing from above advantage.
If both airplanes have any climb counters, better rated airplane gets firing from above advantage.
If one has no climb counters, and other has, the latter gets firing from above advantage.

This would also give new value to ceiling, as it would encourage planes to go to higher altitudes.

What do you think? Would it maybe give too much advantage to faster climbers? I haven't seriously playtested it yet, but I'm interested to hear what do you think.

It would certainly advantageous... especially considering the relative ease at which some of the faster climbers can gain altitude relative to their less spritely cousins. Certainly willing to give this a try, however. Might even work this into Flash/Zoe's easier altitude house rules.

flash
05-26-2014, 00:50
So when they are absolutely level the better rated aircraft gets a +1 bonus on the first shot ? That's hardly fair !

A lower rated aircraft may have many climb tokens & technically be above the better rated aircraft yet it gets a +1 bonus ? That's really unfair ! Think you'd need a chart to make that right (eg a 4 climber has 3 tokens a 2 climber has 1 - the 4 is above the 2 climber)

That makes more sense but cheapens the rule which as I understand it is something like: There is a +1 damage bonus in the first phase of firing for planes firing in its front arc at a plane 1 level of Altitude lower.

Well it might encourage those with better climbers to get a climb counter !

Way too much advantage I'd say Hemanya. The best climbers need only two turns to gain an altitude and the potential advantage as it is so it may be more effort than really necessary but you should thoroughly play test with all the different ability climbers to really find out what the wrinkles are. :minis:

.... Might even work this into Flash/Zoe's easier altitude house rules.
I don't use climb counters in my rules but have accounted for the bonus when having to use a dive or a climb in the attack Chris