PDA

View Full Version : Strengths and Weaknesses

Dutchy
08-14-2010, 14:27
How do you determine the strengths and weaknesses of the various WWI planes in Wings of War and the tactics to use with those planes? Dutchy

ktodd
08-14-2010, 17:25
How do you determine the strengths and weaknesses of the various WWI planes in Wings of War and the tactics to use with those planes? Dutchy

Great question! I will be very interested in the answers to this. I am relatively new to the WoW but one tactic that has generally worked for me with two seaters with two guns is to stay a altitude lower than most of your enemy to maximize your shots without having to draw 2 A cards in for their return fire.

It seems to work anyway :)

Keith

rcboater
08-14-2010, 17:48
With aircraft like the SPAD, use the "shoot and scoot" tactic. Make a firing run at your target, and keep going. Don't try to turn around -- keep going and then immelman to come back for another pass.

Don't get into a turning dogfight-- nearly every opponent can out-turn you.

csadn
08-14-2010, 23:10
How do you determine the strengths and weaknesses of the various WWI planes in Wings of War and the tactics to use with those planes?

Get an example of each plane, with its respective maneuver deck, and compare them. Does one have a noticeably tighter turning circle than the other(s)? Does one move faster straight-line? Is one an A-deck rather than a B-deck?

That's how I do it, anyway.

Attila57
08-15-2010, 01:16
I prepare with my friends an .xls file with all WoW minis planes (Minis Seriers and Balloon Busters Nieuport 16) and their manouver cards to compare manoeuvrability.

But only playing we're learning how to duel airplane versus airplane, people versus people.

Attilio

Flying Officer Kyte
08-15-2010, 01:34
But only playing we're learning how to duel airplane versus airplane, people versus people.

Attilio[/QUOTE]

Very true Attilio. Know your enemy.
Rob.

Attila57
08-15-2010, 05:46
If you prefer an academic point of view look or/and download this memorandum at:

http://home.comcast.net/~clipper-108/AIAAPaper2005-119.pdf

43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit Scott Eberhardt "Performance Analysis and Tactics of Fighter Aircraft from WWI"

Don't get scared from chapter 3. You can skip or read in an overcast day with poor visibility to fly, in your home hangar :D

There are some interesting passages like the "Boelcke’s Dicta”.

In the age of super technological fighters I read these rule are still taught as the basic of air combat tactics.

The same rules are indicated in the Red Baron Manual.

Look at PaulW's thread:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123

(this manual has a a lot of nice historical and technical chapters. An amusing and instructive reading).

Your enemy could have read them! and forget them as happens very often
to me :(

Attilio

Willi Von Klugermann
08-15-2010, 19:04
Quick rule of thumb for scouts as subtle differences are not represented by maneuver decks:

Sopwith Camel , Fokker DRI : tightest RH turns

Spad ,Se5a : fastest

Spad , PfalzDIII : widest turns

FokDVII probably best scout of the war

Nieuports most fragile, deck does not reflect their maneuverability.

Goering Ace
08-16-2010, 17:18
My son devised a rating system for the planes based on four factors -
Speed, health, manueverability, and special maneuvers. The Nieuport 17/21/23 is rated a 1 as it has low health (12), slow speed (a 1 rating out of 3) and average maneuverability (only the side slip beyond the normal moves). Meanwhile the Fokker D.VII is rated a 3 as it has high health (16), fast speed (second only to the Spad XIII in the minis) and exceptional maneuverability. We rated all the planes and as a result we can pit planes against each other based on their ratings. We add up the total ratings for each side and if the numbers match, we should have an equal fight (i.e. 2 D.VII's (each rated 3) = 6. They go against a Snipe (rated 3), a Camel (rated 2) and a Nieuport (rated 1) = 6). That's just our homemade rating system. You can do the same with your own take on it.

Play into your plane's strengths and know your opposition's weaknesses. So don't get into a turning fight in a D.Va and don't expect to outrun anyone in a Dr.I.

But as others have pointed out, you still have to know the enemy pilot and try and study his patterns. A great pilot in a lesser plane will still come out victorious if you give him the chance.:)

Scott

Snowy
08-16-2010, 19:54
Regarding the tactics portion of your question....

There are a couple of techniques that are classic.

Using situation awareness, stand off and engage at an opportune moment. Keep it short, deadly and break off if the odds are against you. Watch your 6!

Try to work in pairs, keeping the enemy in at least one of your sights each turn.

Finish the job. A wounded bird can still be deadly. Do not change your target.

Per Boelke's dictum, always turn toward an attack; it is the hardest position for your enemy to take advantage from.

Keep enough altitude to dive out of a fight.

And when heading home alone, low on fuel and ammo and you are 'jumped' by a flight of Fokkers, put you head between your legs and kiss you 6 goodbye! ;)

ktodd
08-16-2010, 21:09
This is a good thread with all good posts, except for mine:o

I hope they continue,

Keith

Goering Ace
08-19-2010, 15:58
Here's a quick take on the fighters -

D.VII - Deadly plane with top health (16). No real weakness and numerous strengths, among which are the short straight (non-stall) card and the short turn (steep) which you can use to quickly turn the tables on opponents. Just don't get overconfident when flying this plane.

Snipe - Another great plane with no glaring weakness but some cool maneuvers, like the "super slide" cards which are great for getting out of trouble quickly. You can pretty much use any tactic when attacking with this plane since it turns well in both directions and has above average speed.

Camel - Above average plane. Its weakness is its lack of a 90 degree left turn. But on the flip side it's strength lies in its three 90 degree right turns (no other plane has more than 2). Keep your opponent on your right as you approach, setting up for the hard right turns as you need them.

Dr.I - Good fighter with a number of weaknesses. No 90 degree left turn and below average speed combined with low hit points leave you vulnerable. Again, keep your opponent on your right when possible and get out of trouble before you get too low on health because you won't outrun any other plane. The Dr.I's strength is it's super tight 90 degree right turns. It will out turn any other plane. It also has a "mini super-slide".

D.III - Average plane with no special maneuvers, average speed, and decent health. Use patience with this plane. With no 90 degree turns at all you have to wait for your opportunity and maybe use some unconventional maneuvers to try and gain position. Keep the Immelmann on standby at all times.

Nieuport - Low health is its primary weakness. The "mini super-slide" is the only real strength. Fly it as you would the D.III, except use more caution after you've taken a few hits. You don't have many to spare.

Spad XIII - Speed is its strength. It's the fastest plane out there and can outrun any of the above planes. As Bill said above, use the shoot and scoot tactic, using the Immelmann to reverse direction, because it will take forever to turn around otherwise. Again, patience is the key. This plane has top health, so wait for your openning, land some hits, and get out of harms way before setting up for another pass. Use your speed to get out of trouble.

D.Va - A fast plane but no special maneuvers. Treat it as a faster, healthier version of the D.III and use similar tactics. Know that you can stay ahead of all but the Spad XIII if you need to cut and run.

That's a brief synopsis of the popular miniature fighters. Good luck.

Scott

Dutchy
08-19-2010, 17:40
Thanks Scott. Your comments are really helpful. Dutchy

Flying Officer Kyte
08-19-2010, 23:57
A very useful, and easy to understand synopsis for the rookie pilots amongst us Scott.
Rob.

Attila57
08-20-2010, 06:34
An excellent post Scott!

Aero825
08-20-2010, 06:39
I can't wait for series 4! :D:D:D

Hunter

Kookaburra
08-20-2010, 07:26
But at the end of all games......if you shoot your "enemy" 8-9 time and the total of damage cards is under 10, there is no tactics that kepp you alive.
It's true Attila? Do you know something?

Goering Ace
08-20-2010, 07:54
Thanks guys. :)
Col. Hajj has asked if I would expand my write-ups for each plane (in a new thread) as a reference tool (Sticky) for the beginner pilots on the site. I'm more than happy to oblige. I'll also be including match-ups of classic planes (Dr.I vs. Camel, for example) with tactical overviews of how to use each plane against the other from the viewpoint of both the German and Allied pilots (Col.'s idea).

I should have it ready in 3 or 4 days or so. Depends on how many classic match-ups I do.

Scott

Flying Officer Kyte
08-20-2010, 09:16
Thanks guys. :)
Col. Hajj has asked if I would expand my write-ups for each plane (in a new thread) as a reference tool (Sticky) for the beginner pilots on the site. I'm more than happy and to oblige. I'll also be including match-ups of classic planes (Dr.I vs. Camel, for example) with tactical overviews of how to use each plane against the other from the viewpoint of both the German and Allied pilots (Col.'s idea).

I should have it ready in 3 or 4 days or so. Depends on how many classic match-ups I do.

Scott

Well deserved Scott. :D
Rob.

Willi Von Klugermann
08-20-2010, 12:35
Great synopsis Scott.

Galland
08-20-2010, 13:14
very nice Scott.

Its some times complicated to find some important diferences betwen models..