PDA

View Full Version : sudden death

BD Ford
08-13-2010, 05:59
I like fast brutal games, at times.
So I remove the explosion cards, and half the 0 damage cards from the damage deck.
For a REALLY fast brutal game, put back in the explosion cards, and remove ALL the 0 damage cards save for gun jams.
Air combat has always tended to be sudden slashing attacks and someone falls in flames then one side or the other disengages, rather than endless swirling round and round affairs.

BD

CappyTom
08-15-2010, 19:19
Great for a quick game. I also read on the forum about smoke and fire that stay with the plane. Except fire that can go out if you pick the smoke card.

Tom

Charlie3
08-24-2010, 21:39
Our group has loosely adopted the idea that each maneuver card represents approxamately 10 seconds of real time, thereby making one game turn (3 cards) 30 seconds of real time. With this in mind, our average game lasts only 10 game turns or about 5 minutes of real time, which is in line with the historical records of the air combats. Our group is the one that uses the perment Fire and Smoke, and we leave the explosion cards in the decks, so hits can be very nasty. I caught on fire 3 out of 4 missions tonight myself and was forced to land once, and crashed the other two.

You have a great idea though for those of us that want to get in a really quick game say at work or for that quick gaming fix. If you really want to speed things up, simply switch to a double "C" deck!! with the 8 and 10 point damage cards in there and 2 explosions, it should take very little time at all.

BD Ford
08-25-2010, 06:29
If you really want to speed things up, simply switch to a double "C" deck!! with the 8 and 10 point damage cards in there and 2 explosions, it should take very little time at all.

Now, THAT... is brutal!

like it!

Dunno about the 10 seconds per card, 10 seconds is an awful lot of time in air combat. I tend to think of each card as about, maybe... 3 seconds? however, the great strength of this game is its flexibility... so if it works for you then, it is RIGHT for you!

Viva!
BD

Flying Officer Kyte
08-26-2010, 01:48
Now, THAT... is brutal!

like it!

Dunno about the 10 seconds per card, 10 seconds is an awful lot of time in air combat. I tend to think of each card as about, maybe... 3 seconds? however, the great strength of this game is its flexibility... so if it works for you then, it is RIGHT for you!

Viva!
BD

Yes Indeed. When you read the accounts of the Aces, it is often the first pass with a short burst that gets the result. If you stooge around too long it is inevitable that someone will get on your tail eventually.
Rob.

LGKR
08-26-2010, 06:26
Yes Indeed. When you read the accounts of the Aces, it is often the first pass with a short burst that gets the result. If you stooge around too long it is inevitable that someone will get on your tail eventually.
Rob.

I agree. I estimated that each game turn was approximately 10 seconds, making each card or phase around the 3 second mark. One of the longest recorded dog fights was between Richthofen and Hawker, it last a little over 4 minutes.

Charlie3
08-30-2010, 14:13
I agree. I estimated that each game turn was approximately 10 seconds, making each card or phase around the 3 second mark. One of the longest recorded dog fights was between Richthofen and Hawker, it last a little over 4 minutes.But our ACTUAL combats still only last about 6 turns or 3 minutes (for 30 second game turns) our 10 turn average includes all the mucking about for positions, or turning around. Both time lines seem to have some merit...take your pick! most games still only last about 20 minutes if you can keep people on task!