PDA

View Full Version : Idle Thought re Other Games Using _WoW_ System

csadn
08-11-2010, 14:43
I suspect I'm not the first to consider a science-fiction-based game using the _WoW_ movement system; I do wonder which would be preferred, tho' -- one based on an existing property (would be nice, but the licensing would be horrific), or a bespoke property (less expensive, but no extant fanbase from which to derive sales)?

I know someone out there is working up an automobile-combat system using the same mechanics as _WoW_; haven't tried it myself yet, tho'.

Naval combat, maybe? Try to coordinate a Gefechtkehrswendung nach steurbord* is going to make formation-flying Sopwiths look easy....

[*: Apologies to all, esp. the German players -- it's been a while since I've had to write that term.... :) ]

Oberst Hajj
08-11-2010, 14:55
We have talked about a naval game on here before. Are you wanting to make a market a game, or just one for the fun of playing?

LGKR
08-11-2010, 15:24
We kicked around the idea Ancient Greek or Roman ship combat.

csadn
08-11-2010, 22:08
Are you wanting to make a market a game, or just one for the fun of playing?

In the immortal words of Kosh Naranek: "Yes."

The game had better be Fun, else no one will want to play it. As to the marketing end -- well, I admit I'm enough of an egomaniac to say I wouldn't mind seeing my name on the front cover of a "proper" (professionally-made, boxed, etc.) game; the questions are "would FFG|Nexus|whomever be willing to make it", and "is there actually a market for such things".

Oberst Hajj
08-11-2010, 22:53
All depends on the game you make. There are a couple of resource sites out there for making your own games.

Gaz67
08-12-2010, 03:36
automobile-combat system along the lines of "Car wars"?? Now there was a game!

science-fiction-based game Star wars springs to mind....but like you say, licensing would be horrific, and I think that may be an understatment!

Oberst Hajj
08-12-2010, 03:47
There are already Star Wars fan based cards out there.

Gaz67
08-12-2010, 03:56
Now that you mention it I do seem to recall seeing one or two.

Star wars style of combat in the films is fast and furious, zap zap BOOM, very wings combat, might need multiple explosion cards per deck!

AlgyLacey
08-12-2010, 07:11
I suspect I'm not the first to consider a science-fiction-based game using the _WoW_ movement system; I do wonder which would be preferred, tho' -- one based on an existing property (would be nice, but the licensing would be horrific), or a bespoke property (less expensive, but no extant fanbase from which to derive sales)?

I know someone out there is working up an automobile-combat system using the same mechanics as _WoW_; haven't tried it myself yet, tho'.

Naval combat, maybe? Try to coordinate a Gefechtkehrswendung nach steurbord* is going to make formation-flying Sopwiths look easy....

[*: Apologies to all, esp. the German players -- it's been a while since I've had to write that term.... :) ]

The old Bbattlestar Galactica would work.

I still like my PT boat/MTB idea:rolleyes:. Time. Damnit!:(

csadn
08-12-2010, 22:45
Star wars style of combat in the films is fast and furious, zap zap BOOM, very wings combat, might need multiple explosion cards per deck!

Nah -- just dial down the HP of the units. Or do like _DoW_ and have damage chit draws which can annihilate a unit in one blast.

schoon
08-13-2010, 08:00
automobile-combat system along the lines of "Car wars"?? Now there was a game!

Hmmmm, has this been done?

It would seem like a great means of handling movement.

(Gears turning) ...and once a driver becomes an "ace, you could allow for more advanced movement decks...