PDA

View Full Version : National Reporting for Duty

Rookie
03-29-2014, 09:32
I am new to WOG, and to tabletop gaming as a whole. I recently purchased the WWII rules and accessories and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight to what aircraft are the best to start with. :confused:

CdnFlyer
03-29-2014, 12:32
Hello Rookie and welcome to the drome'. Congrats on getting into the game, your gonna find it to be an awesome hobby and a very addictive one. I myself am WW1 flyer so I can't comment too much on which specific WW2 planes to get into, but I would imagine that starting off with some simple fighters would be best just to get the hang of things. Bombers usually have multiple firing arcs, which not overly complicated but can add some confusion. I would also look into which theater of combat interests you the most. Whether it be flying over pacific islands and shooting down Zeros or tangling with the Luftwaffe over the French countryside, you'll find a great variety of planes and scenarios no matter what theater you choose. The skies the limit as they say!

Baron Rolf
03-29-2014, 12:36
Welcome to the aerodrome DJ :thumbsup:

grumpybear
03-29-2014, 12:40
Hi from Alberta.

Flying Helmut
03-29-2014, 13:40
Welcome DJ, from Middlesex in the U.K.

Naharaht
03-31-2014, 08:50
Welcome to the Aerodrome, DJ, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

If you have the WWII 'Rules and Accessories pack' then I am assuming that you wish to play the WWII version of the game.

I suggest that you start with single seat fighters. You may wish to stick to just one theatre of war.

The most recent releases for WWII were Mustangs, Nakajima Hayate's, Spitfire IX's and Focke Wulf 190D's. You can probably find some of those in shops or on-line. If you follow the 'Aerodrome Store' link the top of the page, you can see these and some of the other planes that are available.

When shopping on-line for the models, 'shop around and compare prices'. Some models are offered for sale at what I consider exhorbitant prices. Watch out for the shipping costs and any sales taxes.

You will find the people on this website very friendly and helpful. Best wishes.

Willi Von Klugermann
03-31-2014, 08:52
Welcome DJ.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-01-2014, 02:23
On behalf of the Squadrons based here in Dear old Blighty welcome to the Drome DJ.
I endorse what my Flight Leader Naharaht's remarks about purchases.
I'm sure that your fellow pilots from Canada will all have their favourite stockists, but on your side of the pond you can't go far wrong with our own Aerodrome store right here on the site.
Fly safe.
Rob.

Warhawk
04-01-2014, 05:02
Welcome to the site!

fast.git
04-01-2014, 05:47
Welcome to the Aerodrome! I agree with what has been stated previously; single-seat fighters are the way to go. The most recent release includes planes that are faster than previously released models... so it makes sense to buy within a series when you're getting started. This most recent series is not, however, your only option. Some of the earlier series are still available, but more difficult to find. Hurricanes and Dewoitines, and some of the early war ("last of the...") biplanes can be had from various sites, and sometimes with a discount.

somaliavet
04-02-2014, 06:46
Howdy from Kansas, DJ. Great to have you with us! If you can get planes from the same series, they tend to be good matches to fly against each other.

Nightbomber
04-02-2014, 07:01
Welcome from Poland, DJ:)

OldGuy59
04-02-2014, 08:02
DJ,
Welcome to the 'drone from the opposite side of the country. Lots of good advice, above.

Not sure what is available in Halifax/Dartmouth, as I haven't been back to the area for too many years. I was part of the Atlantic Simulation Society, back in the day.

I'll add your name to the National Roll Call. Only one other person from Nova Scotia has signed in to the 'drone, but that doesn't mean there aren't many players in your city. Maybe you can start a squadron of members?

Mike :)

BBSuds
04-03-2014, 20:18
Welcome to the Aerodrome, DJ. :pint:

Captain Chum
04-03-2014, 20:52
Welcome to the Drome DJ!

Badin23
04-04-2014, 05:27
Welcome DJ :fokker:

Teaticket
04-04-2014, 07:36
I am new to WOG, and to tabletop gaming as a whole. I recently purchased the WWII rules and accessories and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight to what aircraft are the best to start with. :confused:

Welcome from Cape Cod.

Insight into what planes to get....all of them. :minis::money: