PDA

View Full Version : None: Happy birthday Wings of War!

Angiolillo
03-10-2014, 22:04
Ten years ago, on the 11th of March 2004, the first copies of Wings of War - Famous Aces were sold in Italian shops.

Happy birthday little game!

Naharaht
03-10-2014, 22:22
Ten years! Many congratulations to you and your colleagues, Andrea! :clap: :salute:

Casey
03-10-2014, 22:44
Congratulations to all the team members that made this game a reality !

Parabens !! :singin:

Marechallannes
03-10-2014, 23:03
Congratulations. :FOK:

A great game that combines so much of history - gaming - friendship. :salute:

My Wings of War carreer started with an old WW I Deluxe Set (German edition).

MoonSylver
03-11-2014, 00:04
Here's to one of the greatest games it's ever been my privilege to play. :hatsoff: And here's to the next ten, and the next ten, and...:salute:

Jager
03-11-2014, 00:07
Happy Birthday to this great game, and congratulations to those who made it :singin:
Karl

Attila57
03-11-2014, 00:45
Happy Birthday! :drinks:

Attilio

Boney10
03-11-2014, 01:08
Happy Birthday to our games dad :)

Baron Rolf
03-11-2014, 01:31
Happy birthday Wings of War :clap::drinks::pint:

Flying Officer Kyte
03-11-2014, 02:15
:salute: Here's to the next ten Andrea.:drinks:
hope to be able to celebrate with you when I'm in Rome at the start of May.
Happy Birthday Wings.:hatsoff:
Kyte.:FOK:

fast.git
03-11-2014, 02:55
Happy birthday, Wings! :FOK: And to those who brought this wonderful game to life, you have my many thanks!

Archidamus
03-11-2014, 04:38
Happy birthday indeed to this great game - and many thanks Andrea, to you and all involved in bringing it to life

Angiolillo
03-11-2014, 05:39
Thanks to all of you!!! If the game lasted more than a few months, it's because all of you.

At the very start of May I will be at Ferrara, playing in the castle at a local convention. But apart for that weekend I am here!

Black Sheep One
03-11-2014, 05:47
It is because of this game, I have the honor to meet, and become good friends with, some of the finest people on this planet. I really mean that...
A warm thank you to you, Andrea, and to all your colleagues! :drinks::pint: Happy birthday WoW/WoG!!!!! :salute::hatsoff:

Captain Chum
03-11-2014, 05:54
Congratulations Andrea for bringing your game to life.... and a long life it has had and still going strong.

Cheers! :drinks:

Teaticket
03-11-2014, 06:52
Thank you Andrea for bringing us this most wonderful game! This is a true classic that will live on and on.

johnbiggles
03-11-2014, 08:01
Happy birthday Wings,
Thank you Andrea:salute:

:drinks::singin::pint:

Oberst Hajj
03-11-2014, 08:06
Happy birthday Wings of War/Glory! While I did not join the fight until the miniatures came out (I always looked at the card version, but never bought it), I think it's safe to say that this "little" game has changed my live quite a bit... and all for the better! So a big thank you Andrea for giving us this little flying gem!

brucewallace
03-11-2014, 08:10
On and off, I have been playing war games for 60 years, and belong to a number of web groups supporting a lot of them, and never have I seen a group of gamers as passionately interested, indeed, consumed by a game as are the pilots here at the 'drome. In our little group, there are at least a dozen games we like to play, but Wings has outstripped them all - when it isn't our primary game, it is always our fall back game when not enough can make it. Andrea, the world of gaming owes you an enormous debt of gratitude.

Happy Birthday!

somaliavet
03-11-2014, 09:03
Happy Birthday Wings of War! My, how far you've flown!:pint:

Steel Legion
03-11-2014, 09:14
Happy Birthday. Tens Years and Growing

Tommy Z
03-11-2014, 09:39
Happy Birthday! Congratulations & Thank You Andrea, for the fun and enjoyment I've had playing this wonderful creation of yours!

Nightbomber
03-11-2014, 10:26
What a nice anniversary, chaps and Andrea:) Congratulations!
Do you know, I still remember the very first moment I saw the "Watch Your Back" box game Polish version and the place, a LGS I saw it in? Since it was a card game then, I was not so eager to get it, but one day I bought it and - did not know, that the journey of my lifetime to Columbus, Ohio, Origins 2013 had just begun...

Brambo
03-11-2014, 11:28
Happy Birthday Wings of War and a huge thanks to Andrea and the team. :salute::thumbsup::pint::singin::pint::fokker::guns::minis:

BobP
03-11-2014, 11:58
10 Years. WOW has it been that long since I got hooked on this game and have been buying all these great minis? Thanks you so much for the concept and all the efforts you have put into making this a great game. :thumbsup::drinks:

Guntruck
03-11-2014, 12:38
Congrats :FOK:

jbmacek
03-11-2014, 14:27
I'll raise a glass in toast!
Cheers, Wings of War/Glory, I'm glad we met!

Doug
03-11-2014, 15:20
This is by far the best wargame I have ever played, even better than when in the 1960's Airfix started to release its 1/72 WW2 tanks and figures:thumbsup:

gully_raker
03-11-2014, 15:34
:salute: Many Congratulations to Andrea & all his colleges!
I only discovered Wings after the advent of the models but it is now my consuming passion & helped bring more fun than any Wargame I have played.
Besides that it boosted my interest in WW1 Aviation History that had begun so many years ago.

Thank you also Andrea for respawning with Ares. What would we do without the injection of all those great new models.:eek:

Here's to the Next Ten, Twenty, Thirty & more!:thumbsup::pint::pint::pint::drinks::drinks::drinks:

grumpybear
03-11-2014, 15:38
Best game I ever played, wish I had started sooner. Happy Birthday

Flying Helmut
03-11-2014, 15:46
Happy birthday Wings!:clap::salute::medal::pint:

Andrea, thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!

Angiolillo
03-11-2014, 21:44
Thanks to all of you, really. And it's not just been me - there is a great team after this game. To edit, illustrate, translate, produce and send it around. Several of the people involved was here 10 years ago too, even if publishers changed more than one time. Thanks to them all too!

Yeah, plastic 1/72 kits have been a great thing indeed. My love for aviation started with a two-color Bf.109 by Revell sold by the tobacconist next street from home. Something like brown fuselage and sand wings. So in their opinion you could avoid painting it and just put decals on the plastic. I did so. Airfix kits and Humbrol & Molak paints were the next step, just after.

kaufschtick
03-11-2014, 22:09
I grew up with a father, who is still building as many 1/72 scale planes, jets, tanks and ships (mostly torpedo boats, but also 3 submarines!) as he can find in that scale. He has well over 800 1/72 scale aircraft, all the way from the Wright Flyer to the B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber.

I grew up loving aviation history, and am fortunate enough to live just a short 90 minute drive from the largest military aviation museum in the world, the National Museum of the United States Air Force (also the branch of the service I served in during Desert Storm/Desert Shield).

Andrea, your game has allowed not only my friends and I to explore the rich history behind your game, but has also allowed me to connect in a unique and special way with my children as well. Not only that, but playing the game with my father, who's models I dreamed about playing with as a kid (it was always so great when I was given one), well that is just priceless. My Dad used to teach me about the planes when I was growing up, and if I could answer a question he would quiz me on, I could have the plane the question was about. Needless to say, I became somewhat of an expert as a youngster!

You have created a very special game, and you should be very proud of that! From the other side of the planet, "Happy Birthday Wings of Glory"! Continued success and best wishes! :pint:

WilliamBarkerVC
03-20-2014, 19:30
I played Dawn Patrol endlessly when I was a kid; I bought into Wings of War in Series 1, and have managed to get every plane since. :)

CappyTom
03-21-2014, 02:59
Well I'm late to the party...Happy Birthday little buddy! Great game, looking forward to the next 10 years.
:drinks::singin:
Thomas

Angiolillo
03-21-2014, 14:43
Thanks everybody, really!!! To the ones who involved their families, to the ones that followed from the very start (I also played Dawn Patrol a lot!) and to those that joined in any moment later, up to the last friends that are just starting now.

Just to remember how it was... Here the announcement of the first sighting in shops:
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/games-flight-sims/14464-u-s-release-date-wings-war.html#post149376

Here the identification of the first customer:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/30308#30308

Here the battle report of the first presentation of the released game:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/43632/wings-of-war-famous-aces?commentid=529#comment529

The game had already been presented before as a prototype.
And with a giant-sized copy, later lost somewhere in Spain.

milcoll73
03-22-2014, 09:14
an awesome milestone for an awesome game!!!!