PDA

View Full Version : Mats or minis ?

oldskoolpurist
07-30-2010, 17:59
I got my DOW stuff last week and all i can say is, i'm totally hooked.Since getting my DOW deluxe set and a few extra planes for good measure, all a can think about is how to make this an even better experience for me and my brother to get stuck into.All my Napoleonic army's i was collecting, are now sat in boxes looking sorry for them selves and packed away.So what i'm stuck with is my next purchase.Ive built a 4ft by 4 ft table to play on and i don't know if i should buy the two gaming mats or some extra planes.How many planes can you play on the mats without it being over crowded ? Any help would be much appreciated as i don't want to go wasting any money.Thanks...

Oberst Hajj
07-30-2010, 21:19
Dan, 4-6 planes is all I would fly on the mats, beyond that and I prefer a little more flying room. What planes do you have besides the DS ones and how many players do you currently have?

Oberst Hajj
07-30-2010, 21:35
To give you an idea of the space used by 6 planes on the two mats, take a look at this:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/store/photos/AerodromeAccessories.jpg

The top of the photo is right at the edge of the mats, but there is about 4 inches or so cut off the bottom of the photo and quite a bit to the sides as well.

rrodrick
07-30-2010, 23:44
I have to say Col., that image is a fine advertisement for your gimble mounts. It is a really neat action shot featuring some great flying and fighting.

Oberst Hajj
07-31-2010, 02:19
Yeah, I wonder how that happened? :D

richard m schwab
07-31-2010, 06:18
Keith!

Great display of a nice product line in that photo! I like the Aerodrome Prop Ruler!;) My gosh that is the same shot as in the Aerodrome Accessories page?:)

Rich

Oberst Hajj
07-31-2010, 06:28
Why yes, yes it is. lol

KiltedWolf
07-31-2010, 06:28
My advice would be to buy any extra planes you need/want. While I appreciate what Andrea has done with this game, I do not care for the large logo on the mats, believe there are other solutions out there. So take your time and look around this site for the many ideas people have come up with concerning a playing surface. In the mean time, use your new table and fly!

Cheers,
KW

oldskoolpurist
08-03-2010, 05:21
Thank you for your reply's and advice. I decided that the mats where too expensive for what they are. So i'm going to try and make something myself.I've seen some great ideas in the forums so i'm going to try them.I decided to get a couple of wildcats and zeros and do a pacific theme.I also bought eagles of the Reich and flying legends for my European theme.I love the look of the planes with the gimble mounts on and the altitude clocks. Will they fit on the 1:200 size planes ? And is there any idea when the flight control boards will be available because they look great.

Oberst Hajj
08-03-2010, 06:10
Yes, the gimbals will fit the 1/200 scale planes as well. I don't have a firm date on the Cockpits yet as we are having some production issues with them. I hope to have that sorted out this week though.

HardRock
08-03-2010, 15:21
OOOHH! Now I want gimbals. Nice pic Col., no sales pitch, just ooohh pretty.

Henry