PDA

View Full Version : The Rumpler War - Part 2

Goering Ace
07-28-2010, 17:46
Sorties #2 & 3 flown today, with 4 in progress.

Sortie #2:
Planes: Hunter's Spad XIII (Rickenbacker) vs. Scott's Albatros D.Va (Weber).
A different type of battle. Near the beginnig we were exchanging few shots as the planes are built more for speed than maneuverability. This duel moved along very quickly since we're both experienced WOW players and the planes are limited in their maneuver options. Average time chosing cards - 10 to 15 seconds. My Albatros caught fire early, but despite taking 7 points of damage from the initial hit and subsequent fire damage, I managed to avoid any additional crippling hits. Despite the fact that both planes were fired on near equally, my Albatros landed more high damage hits and ultimately the Spad fell to the ground giving Weber his 2nd kill and giving Dad a 2-0 lead for the Rumpler.
Winner - Scott

Sortie #3:
Planes: Hunter's Sopwith Camel (Barker) vs. Scott's Fokker Dr.I (Richthofen).
This duel played directly into Hunter's hand, as he's very hard to beat wihen he flies his Camels. Despite having 4 kills to my credit with the Red baron, I was immediately put into a defensive mode as I took moderate damage on our initial head to head pass and caught fire on one of the next hits to my Dr.I. Despite the early disadvantage, I managed to gain position on the Camel and fire off numerous shots at close range. However, an ill timed gun jam quickly took away any advantage I had and allowed the Camel to escape the close range bursts and regroup in open air. After a few rounds of sharp turns and attempts to gain the opponents 6, I found myself dead in the Camels sights for a series of short range bursts. Moments later Richthofen slumped forward on the stick and plumeted nose first into the ground.
Winner - Hunter
Scott leads 2-1

Sortie #4 has Scott's Fokker D.VII (Goering) vs. Hunter's Sopwith Snipe (Ryrie) in progress. Look for the report on that one tomorrow.:)

Scott

rrodrick
07-28-2010, 21:49
How are you choosing what planes you are flying? These have been some great match-ups. With so much at stake :) I'm biting MY fingernails.

Oberst Hajj
07-29-2010, 00:08
What are you guys going to do if you tie it up 2-2?

Olt^Jones
07-29-2010, 02:33
hi Scott, do you play with special damages also (like explosion's one)?
nice brief however ;)
and waiting for sortie #4 :D

Goering Ace
07-29-2010, 04:45
What are you guys going to do if you tie it up 2-2?

Turns out, Col, that Hunter wants to fly not just 4 sorties to decide who wins the Rumpler (I had changed the plan to 5 anyways), but instead wants to pit all of our planes against each other. So the chance of us ending in a tie is pretty slim since we own nearly every mini produced thus far.

Scott

Oberst Hajj
07-29-2010, 04:49
Oh no, don't fall for that! He is just trying to increase the odds now that it is 2-1 against him! lol

Goering Ace
07-29-2010, 04:53
How are you choosing what planes you are flying? These have been some great match-ups. With so much at stake :) I'm biting MY fingernails.

Hi Rick. Hunter has devised a rating system from 1 to 4 for all the planes (based on speed, maneuverability and hit points). The higher the rating the better the plane. We're chosing planes that have the same rating for all our match-ups, which is why all the duels have been very exciting thus far. Sortie #4, which is in progress, pits two 4 rated planes against each other. The duel went over 40 minutes before we got tired and agreed to finish it today. It's been a nerve racking match-up since both planes are exceptional in a dogfight.

Oh, and to answer your question, Lorenzo - no, we do not use the explosion card or special damage rules. Whoever wins earns it the hard way.:)

Scott

Olt^Jones
07-29-2010, 08:24
Oh, and to answer your question, Lorenzo - no, we do not use the explosion card or special damage rules. Whoever wins earns it the hard way.:)

Scott
i agree with your choice guys ;)