PDA

View Full Version : AAR Battle of Britain Scenario 1a: Destroy Reinforcement Flight

Steel Legion
02-25-2014, 07:41
First Combat Mission

Oberleutnant Helmut Paul Emil Wick (Sniper and Evasion) Messerschmitt 109
Oberleutnant Kurt Votel (Evasion) Messerschmitt 109
Ofw Josef Heinz Eller (Rookie) Messerschmitt 109

Operational Orders:

Engage and destroy enemy aircraft (Hawker Hurricanes), that have been reported by forward observes to be heading to airfields closer to Dunkirk.

Hawker Hurricane pilot unknown
Hawker Hurricane pilot unknown

Operational Orders:

Proceed to airfields closer to Dunkirk as the enemy have advanced further than AASF HQ anticipated.

Jagdgeschwader 2 Staffel 3 flying with the sun to their backs, Oberleutnant Helmut Paul Emil Wick watches Oberleutnant Kurt Votel and the Rookie Ofw Josef Heinz Eller below him as he flies high cover.

Ofw Josef Heinz Eller then excitedly reports, Hurricanes below heading in our direction. Oberleutnant Kurt Votel comes over the radio and tells the boy to relax and remember his training and that he is not alone. But before Oberleutnant Kurt Votel can finish, Ofw Josef Heinz Eller dives and accelerates in the direction of the Hurricanes, which forces Oberleutnant Kurt Votel to follow.
Finally Oberleutnant Kurt Votel was able to bring about Ofw Josef Heinz Eller enthusiasm and follow his lead not his own, before Oberleutnant Helmut Paul Emil Wick could reprimand him for his loss of lead and the Rookies loss of discipline.

As the two Messerschmitt 109’s approached the unexpected Hurricanes from out of the sun, the over zealous Ofw Josef Heinz Eller fired before Oberleutnant Kurt Votel gave the order. This ruined the overwhelming advantage of attitude and speed they had over their prey. As a result the Hurricanes were able to adjust their attitude and fire simultaneously as the two Messerschmitt 109’s came within reach and fired along with them.

As Ofw Josef Heinz Eller fired on the lead Hurricane, Oberleutnant Kurt Votel he too fired as well. He was satisfied that the Rookie at least retain the information from his training as to which target was the primary through his eagerness to succeed. Immediately a hail of lead hammered into the Lead Hurricane, as the tracer rounds flashed past the Rookie, the sound of the impact against the fuselage must of gave him real cause for concern, as pieces of his fighter are torn away. Oberleutnant Kurt Votel was unscathed from the volley. It appears that both Hurricanes concentrated their fire on the Rookie.

Oberleutnant Kurt Votel fired a second burst, striking the Hurricane, leaving massive holes in its tail section. As the Rookie’s volleys impacted the wing section. The Hurricane weaved to avoid anymore punishment by the Messerschmitt 109’s. As Votel turns he notices that the boy continues a straight bearing and wonders if something was amiss. The Hurricane pressed on and increase its distance from his huntsmen, eager to find sanctuary.
Oberleutnant Helmut Paul Emil Wick evaluated his two comrades engagement of the Hurricanes and the evasive action that they both took. He then proceeded to maneuver into a position on the second Hurricane, in order to stalk his prey before he launches an attack. As he peered through his sight at the rapidly closing Hurricane, he was calculating his next maneuver and then proceeded to fire a precisely intended burst. Wick keen eye saw the tracer ripping through the fuselage, with chunks of debris hovering in the air, like feathers being plucked from a chicken. The Hurricane started to turn but Wick anticipated the move and fired a second burst. Again his aim was precise and a trail of smoke erupted and his prey proceeded to roll over, the canopy opened and the pilot bailed as the machine was now enveloped in flames and then exploded.

Unable to obtain any type of pursuit on the lone Hurricane, Wick order his comrades to regroup and report. Votel reported that he was fine but the boy was not and would have to be nursed home from the heavy damaged he received. Oberleutnant Helmut Paul Emil Wick smiled to himself and said. That will teach him to be more cautious, then ignorant of the British in the future.
Combat Report: Jagdgeschwader 2 Staffel 3

Oberleutnant Helmut Paul Emil Wick Hurricane Destroyed, pilot bailed out whereabouts unknown
Oberleutnant Kurt Votel
Ofw Josef Heinz Eller Messerschmitt 109 - Severely Damaged

Combat Report: RAF Replacement Flight

Lead Hurricane Severely Damaged by Votel and Eller
Second Hurricane Destroyed, pilot condition unknown

Marechallannes
02-25-2014, 08:44
Great first mission, Lois. :thumbsup:

One Hurrican escaped, but I think the Zerstörer are already waiting above it's home airfiled.

I don't understand this first shootout. 4 x B damage and 4 x C damage? :confused:

calm
02-25-2014, 08:46
Nice AAR and pictures, Louis :thumbsup:

Steel Legion
02-25-2014, 09:04
Sven, there was more then one shooting phase between the pairs, I just posted the total of the damage between the shooting. Sorry for the confusion.

tikkifriend
02-25-2014, 10:08
Louis. Great first mission and AAR. you managed to keep it to 1 mat which is good too, WWII does have a tendancy to roam around before the action gets going. See you over the Briney in the campaign :) the 56th and 64th are waiting.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-25-2014, 12:37
I enjoyed that AAR Louis.
Crisp fast and to the point, much as it probably would have been.
I am looking forward to the first Hurricanes arriving over Malta so that I can use them, but am afraid it will be a few weeks yet.
Rob.

Black Sheep One
02-25-2014, 12:48
Excellent report, Louis. Very concise. Well done! :salute:

Steel Legion
02-25-2014, 14:19
Thank you all for the post so far. This was my first posting of an After Action Report and the adding of pictures too. I have another sortie planned based on the same scenario for Friday with another group of Jagdgeschwader 2 Staffel 3. I hope they are more successful.

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-25-2014, 15:08
Great first AAR Louis. Very neat, very fast. for the 2nd and future ones could you follow the AAR butchers Bill return format. It's easier for me to post results.

Cheers Neil

Brambo
02-25-2014, 15:23
Nice first AAR Louis, I enjoyed the narrative, especially the part about the Rookie not following orders. :thumbsup:

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-26-2014, 00:40
Oberfeldwebel Josef Heinz Eller

rolled 4-1(rookie)-2(over 1/2 damage)=1 crash landed miss 1d6 scenario's

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4412051/

Crash Landing result: rolled 1 = miss 1 scenario. Pancaked but bumped head on landing. MO advises a day of rest.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4412055/

Replacement ME109: rolled 6. "What do you mean you've lost a plane. Do you think they grow on trees? Demand is high you will have to wait."

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4412056/

Downed Hurricane:

Rolled to see his skill rating: rolled 6 (roll again) rolled 5 Veteran

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4412058/

Rolled 6-1 = 5 = Bailed out Ok.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4412059/

Blackronin
02-26-2014, 01:45
Excellent first AAR, Louis.
Welcome to the frey.