PDA

View Full Version : First game...

Covalima
07-25-2010, 05:51
Had my first game tonight. Had 2 Spits Vs two 109s.. really enjoyable. Really had me thinking 2-3 turns ahead, and I actually made a few card errors which felt correct (for a newbie pilot!).

I was the Hun on this occasion and was victorious, however the Spits are my main love. This game is extremely addictive, and considering I am quite a collector of things too, I can see my collection getting rather large!

Does anyone have any info on NZ fighter squadrons 40-42 in Europe? After paint jobs, aircraft in service etc...

Also, I started making my own mat tonight (36x36). I've recently finished a 6mm Napoleonic army so have a good grasp of modelling the required terrain at the scale required. Will post picks when I'm done.

Cheers,

Cov.

gregbond77
07-25-2010, 14:23
Welcome to the site, I have no info on the NZ fighter squadrons, But I'm sure some one will help with that info as people on this site are very helpful.

Covalima
07-25-2010, 16:30
Actually had some success with my Google-foo last night. Got plenty of info on RAF Sqn 485 which was a NZ Spitfire Sqn. Interestingly while it was made up of all NZ pilots, it was administratively an RAF Sqn paid by the Queen etc...

Only our Pacific Fighter Sqns were officially RNZAF.

Apparantly we did this so that we could get Pilots into the fight quicker (not having to extablish our own command etc...) in the early days, and is why we had so many pilots flying during the Battle of Britain.

Cov.

richard m schwab
07-25-2010, 16:32
Marcus!
The only way to make the game more addictive is to eat peanuts and drink beer as you play!:D
Look at my photos and you will see my BOB section and my recently finished play mat!

Rich

Covalima
07-25-2010, 19:08
Hmm.. can't seem to find your pics.. any chance of a link?

New to the site and all...

Olt^Jones
07-26-2010, 00:17
Hmm.. can't seem to find your pics.. any chance of a link?

New to the site and all...
hi Marcus, simply go to Richs profile and look for his "album section" on the right menu.youll find pics there.

Covalima
07-26-2010, 19:55
Thanks for that.. yep that's similar to what I want to achieve although I want a river and will use some flock to represent vegetation etc... very nice though.

Cov.

Covalima
07-27-2010, 03:30
I'm about half way through my gaming board/mat now..

So far it's looking very good, although deciding on painting the fields by hand rather than with my airbrush may have been the wrong choice (taking a long time)...

richard m schwab
07-27-2010, 13:29
Marcus!

I did that by hand using water based craft paint. I painted 2 x 2 inch square at a time on a 12 x 16 inch surface. I would paint several squares of the same color at a time and switch color. I averaged two of those 12 x 16 areas every day and it took me 10 days to finish. I sprayed a coat of Scotch Guard after i finished to seal the water based paint. The total area is 6 x 6 feet! Keep daubing it helps to use a stiff nylon brush and thin out the paint with water.:)

Rich