PDA

View Full Version : BOB/Allies/303rd Polish Squadron

Nightbomber
02-04-2014, 15:46
303rd PL Squadron Roster.

1. ACE: Cpt. J.A. Kent: Acrobatic Pilot with Evasion Ability.
2. VETERAN: Lt. J.Zumbach: Evasion Ability.
3. VETERAN: Sgt. J.Frantisek: Evasion Ability.
4. VETERAN: Lt. W.Łokuciewski: Evasion Ability.
5. STANDARD PILOT: Lt. M.Ferić.
6. STANDARD PILOT: Lt. W.Urbanowicz.
7. STANDARD PILOT: Sgt. E.Szaposznikow.
8. STANDARD PILOT: Cpt. Z.Krasnodębski.
9. STANDARD PILOT: Sgt. K.Wunsche.
10. STANDARD PILOT: Sgt. S.Karubin.
11. ROOKIE: Lt. Z.Henneberg.
12. ROOKIE: Lt. W. Żak.

Blackronin
02-04-2014, 15:50
Excellent!
We have the Polish!
BoB is won!!

calm
02-04-2014, 16:00
When I was begining to fell the hope of a fast victory....

Steel Legion
02-04-2014, 16:03
For our Polish Air Unit:

I found this during my Scenerio Search of Air Combat Missions> Not sure how accurate it is.

The first aerial combat of World War Two was between Polish fighters and German bombers in the early hours of September 1, 1939. Ironically it was the crank-winged bombers who were the aggressors, diving onto the tails of the parasol-winged fighters as they climbed away from their airfield. This clash of ugly ducklings resulted in the new war's first aerial victory - and the death of its first airman, the first of many to fall in the services of their countries.

Debriefing:
Franck Neubert, bomber pilot, became the first aerial victor of World War II when he led his kette of Stukas out of the rising sun behind a three-airplane section of 121 Squadron, who had just taken off to intercept a formation of He111s. Neubert's victim was the squadron leader, Captain Mieczyslaw Medwecki, who was shot down in flames and killed - the first aircrew casualty of World War II. In the brief dogfight that followed, 2nd Lt. Wladyslaw Gnys managed to damage one of the Stukas before they broke off and headed home, their bombing mission having already been completed. A few minutes later, having continued his climb, Gnys encountered Do 17s from KG77 returning from a raid on Cracow and attacked them, but lost sight of them after a couple of passes. He returned to his base to learn that they had both crashed, the first Luftwaffe aircraft lost in combat.
Gnys survived the Battle of Poland and escaped to Rumania. He made his way to France and joined the Armee de l'Air, sharing the destruction of a German bomber in May. When France fell and General Sikorski ordered the Free Poles to Britain, Gnys made his way to North Africa and from there to England, arriving in July 1940. He flew with several of the RAF's Polish Squadrons, rising to command 317 Squadron in August 1944. Shot down and wounded at the end of the month, he crash-landed behind enemy lines and was captured. Liberated from a German hospital by the Resistance, he was flown back to England but did not fly operationally again. He left the PAF in 1947 and emigrated to Canada in 1948. On the fiftieth annoversary of that infamous September day, Gnys met his opponent Neubert. Gnys passed away on 28 February 2000.

Blackronin
02-04-2014, 16:09
Very interesting reading, Andy.
In search of information for my personal campaign I found similar reports of Polish pilots running away after the fall of Poland.

Marechallannes
02-04-2014, 23:34
Captain Kent needs a patient hand to keep this hotshots together, but I'm shure they're a fantastic fighter squadron.

Promise me one thing Andrzej: Do not import your lucky WW I damage card ability into this campaign. ;)

Nightbomber
02-05-2014, 00:21
Captain Kent needs a patient hand to keep this hotshots together, but I'm shure they're a fantastic fighter squadron.

Promise me one thing Andrzej: Do not import your lucky WW I damage card ability into this campaign. ;)

:lol: Maybe it's time to change the bad luck in drawing :lol:

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-05-2014, 02:24
Andreaj please promot one of your pilots to ACE, 1 to Veteran and the two Rookies become Standard (need 2nd ace skill for ace)

7eat51
02-05-2014, 06:03
Wonderful group, there, Andrzej. If possible, I hope to fly with, and not against, them. Best wishes on a successful campaign.

Steel Legion
02-10-2014, 07:07
For our Polish Comrades: Here is a real account of one of their missions, that did not end well. Granted it was not during the Battle of Britain, between the official dates of the battle - 10th July to 31st October 1940. However it would make a good Solo Scenario, since it revolves around Ground Targets and highly accurate anti-aircraft fire.

22 August 1942 was a particularly bad day for No. 306 (Polish) Squadron operating from Catterick. That day, the Poles took off in squadron strength for Rhubarb in the St Omer area. Thirteen aircraft crossed the channel at low level, splitting up over France and looking for ground targets of opportunity.

Some of the Spitfires encountered intense and highly accurate anti-aircraft fire. A total of four aircraft were lost – S/Ldr Tadeusz Czerwinski flying Spitfire Vb EN826 UZ-C, Fl/Sgt. Zdzislaw Horn flying Spitfire R6904 UZ-D and F/O. Witold Szyszkowski flying Spitfire Vb AR381 UZ-R. All three pilots were killed.

The last flak victim was the Spitfire R6770 UZ-V piloted by Fl/Sgt. Brunon Kroczynski. He was wounded but managed to make a safe forced landing in an open area.

Fl/Sgt. Kroczynski had a close call with JG26 one year previously, on 19 May 1941. Engaging Bf 109′s from 4./JG52 whilst on convoy patrol at midday, his Hurricane was mortally hit. Wounded, Kroczynski baled out but that time was rescued from the sea and could return to the active duty. This time round, he would have no such luck. Quickly captured by the German ground patrol, he became a POW.

Here is an excerpt from No. 306 Squadrons Operational Records Book describing the fatal mission:

Weather was fair. Thirteen aircraft of 306 Squadron left Northolt at 11.00 hrs., crossing the English Coast at Beachy Head, flying at 0 feet and crossing the French Coast at Hardelot at 11.40 hrs. Still flying at ground level they arrived over St. Omer / Longueness at 11.54 hrs.

There was no A/A as they went into France but halfway to the target the ground defences opened up at them. Intense light A/A was experienced from aerodrome defences and also from Gravelines on the way out.

The pilots who returned by St. Englevert was free from A/A.

F/Lt. Gil attacked a hangar on Longueness aerodrome. Sgt. KORDASIEWICZ attacked A/A posts on the same aerodrome and in the vicinity of the aerodrome, and aircraft in the hangar. F/Sgt. Krupa attacked a railway while on the way to St. Omer. He circled three times over Longueness and shot up aircraft in the hangar. He last saw S/Ldr. Czerwinski over the aerodrome. The port wing and tail of his own aircraft were damaged.

P/O. Pietrzak, about thirteen miles from the coast, found an aerodrome and attacked aircraft which were dispersed at the edge of a wood. He flew on over Longueness and attacked a big hangar and building nearby. Returning via Gravelines, the tail of his aircraft was damaged.

F/O. Marcisz attacked A/A posts at Longueness. The starboard wing, rudder, aileron and radiator were damaged by A/A from Gravelines. He fired at a gun position there. Four miles North of Gravelines he saw a large naval unit but he was unable to identify because of his speed and height.

F/O. Kurowski attacked a motor car arriving at Longueness aerodrome and fired at buildings and various objects around the aerodrome. He returned via Boulogne without opposition.

F/Sgt. Machowiak attacked a railway engine on the way to St. Omer. He did not locate the target and returned via Gravelines where the starboard wing and cabin were damaged by A/A.

Sgt. Rogowski attacked a small hangar on Fort Rouge aerodrome. He returned via St. Englevert without opposition. The cockpit of his aircraft was damaged while over the ‘drome.

S/Ldr Nowierski, who was flying the thirteenth aircraft of this Squadron, attacked an aircraft on the ground at St. Omer / Longueness aerodrome. This aircraft had its engine running. A detachment of soldiers exercising behind the aerodrome were also attacked. S/Ldr. Nowierski crossed the French Coast East of Gravelines on the return journey.

Four pilots failed to return from this Operation as follows: -

F.O. W. Szyszkowski was last seen when crossing the French Coast on the way in. Not one of the pilots who returned are able to give any information about him.

F/Sgt. Z. Horn was last seen by F/Lt. Gil near Desvres. White smoke was coming from his aircraft.

S/Ldr. Czerwinski was seen to make a climbing turn when over the target, giving the impression that he had lost control.

F/Sgt. B. Kroczynski reported over the R/T that he was wounded and was going to try and make a forced landing. Later he was heard to say over the R/T that he had landed, his position was approximately South of St. Omer.

Nine aircraft landed at Northolt 12.30 to 12.45 hrs., five of them having been damaged by Flak.

Weather: While over the English Coast 4/10ths cloud at 2,000 feet., improving over Channel. Over France cloudless, bright sunshine and good visibility.

Nightbomber
02-10-2014, 09:25
Thanks for the interesting information, Louis. Fighter sweep missions over France were always very dangerous...