View Full Version : Scenario creation

Blackronin
02-02-2014, 12:25
How?
Who?
Format?

RichJ
02-02-2014, 12:44
I don't mind doing some BoB ones but need some guidelines as to what you want.

Blackronin
02-02-2014, 12:56
I started with this idea:

We can make three types of scenarios.
General scenarios - that can be played during all the war, in all theatres. Dogfights, bomb runs, interceptions, target attacks, etc.
Specific scenarios - that can be played in one or two specific theatres and with specific planes. Desert war, carrier attack, dam destructions, etc.
Unique scenarios - that are... unique! Sink the Bismark, Kill Yamamoto, destroy V1, etc.

Scenarios could always have a header with information about availability.

Time Frame (example 1941-1943)
War Theatre (example Mediterranean: Malta and North Africa)
Type: (General, Specific or Unique)

So that someone skimming the Scenarios could easily choose the most favourable one.

See also the scenario creation in Midway Rising and Over the Trenches.

calm
02-02-2014, 13:36
I started with this idea:

We can make three types of scenarios.
General scenarios - that can be played during all the war, in all theatres. Dogfights, bomb runs, interceptions, target attacks, etc.
Specific scenarios - that can be played in one or two specific theatres and with specific planes. Desert war, carrier attack, dam destructions, etc.
Unique scenarios - that are... unique! Sink the Bismark, Kill Yamamoto, destroy V1, etc.

Scenarios could always have a header with information about availability.

Time Frame (example 1941-1943)
War Theatre (example Mediterranean: Malta and North Africa)
Type: (General, Specific or Unique)

So that someone skimming the Scenarios could easily choose the most favourable one.

See also the scenario creation in Midway Rising and Over the Trenches.

As a general rule, those guidelines are fine, but for the likes of me who never played in this kind of campaign nor designed scenarios for other people to play, I would like a little more detail, such as:

1 - Do we state that play mat X, Y, Z or any combination is to be used ?

2 - Do we specify the types and numbers of the planes involved ?

An example scenario would be very helpfull. That beeing said, I am heading for the Midway and OTT threads for ideas :D

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-03-2014, 01:40
I think that to much detail other than in specific or unique may make some scenario's, not unplayable but difficult to manage from a resource point of view.

I would certainly use mats etc as reference points but not everyone may have access to mats.
Aircraft may be limited so keep this in mind when designing a general scenario.
Always try and include an alternative, remember we are not playing against each other but playing solo games so multiplayer considerations don't come into games.

calm
02-03-2014, 04:42
I think that to much detail other than in specific or unique may make some scenario's, not unplayable but difficult to manage from a resource point of view.

I would certainly use mats etc as reference points but not everyone may have access to mats.
Aircraft may be limited so keep this in mind when designing a general scenario.
Always try and include an alternative, remember we are not playing against each other but playing solo games so multiplayer considerations don't come into games.

Neil,

Great pointers ! So general layout of the map, maybe saying "2 mats" or the equivalentin centimeter or inches. And for the planes, something like "bombers on the attack, heavy fighter cover, flack available", sugesting number, but not writing them on stone.

Does this makes sense ?

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-03-2014, 06:16
Yes, I'm going to crack an introductory scenario which players can try out pre-campaign starting to get the feel.

calm
02-03-2014, 06:56
Yes, I'm going to crack an introductory scenario which players can try out pre-campaign starting to get the feel. scenarios

That would be very helpful. I will try my hand on one or two scenarios snd submit them for group approval.

Nightbomber
02-04-2014, 15:55
My two cents:
We are heading into WGS, where speed matters and there will be more things to control than we had in OtT.
My personal question is not to design missions with many aircraft involved... When I think I'm gonna run 5+ phantom planes I feel that headache...:pray:

Blackronin
02-04-2014, 16:00
Dear Andy:

You can always downgrade the number of planes in your missions.
I've played with 10 ww2 planes and it was swift.
They do die quickly. ;)

calm
02-04-2014, 16:02
Dear Andy:

You can always downgrade the number of planes in your missions.
I've played with 10 ww2 planes and it was swift.
They do die quickly. ;)

If only the enemy planes would fall fast I would be happy :(

Blackronin
02-04-2014, 16:06
I've played September Blood (eight planes) in 45 minutes.

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-05-2014, 02:13
I imagine if the balnce of a scenario is kept then playing with minimal or maximum aircraft to whatever personal preference is ok.

Neil

My two cents:
We are heading into WGS, where speed matters and there will be more things to control than we had in OtT.
My personal question is not to design missions with many aircraft involved... When I think I'm gonna run 5+ phantom planes I feel that headache...:pray:

7eat51
02-05-2014, 06:11
Please place me in rotation for scenario development. I just mentioned in another thread, I am willing to fly wherever needed, and in more than one theatre if this is setup that way.

skyking20
02-05-2014, 06:57
Are you going to link the scenarios?

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-05-2014, 08:25
Scenarios will be linked in that they will progress date wise and casualties will be reflected in what is available from one scenario to the next.

Neil

flash
02-05-2014, 09:30
Once you chaps work out who is writing what scenarios and when I will post the detail in the rules sticky :thumbsup:

RichJ
02-05-2014, 09:55
I will write up a Free Hunt meets patrol scenario and a Bombing the RDF chain one (in two parts - one trying to break through the fighter cover and two the actual bombing) - both will be BoB specific as will include fuel and other vagaries of fighting 'over the channel'. Fleshed them out and will playtest this week and post over weekend.

Rich J

flash
02-05-2014, 10:42
Don't post until we have a running order Rich or we'll be up to our wheel wells in scenarios and no order to play them in ! Nice to know what you're intending to write though so it can be slotted in the time line.
Please bomb Pevensey chain home - I'll be able to watch from my house ! ;)

RichJ
02-05-2014, 11:39
Tell me the house number and I will make sure that the German Directive includes not bombing that area :)

flash
02-05-2014, 11:47
:takecover:

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-05-2014, 14:15
I'll work out a rough campaign detail based on Blackronin's list and post. I'll also include scenario type running order, otherwise we'll have too many specific or unique scenario's. My initial idea, based on the spreadsheet is:

1,2,3,5,6,7,10,11,13,14,15 will be (general non theater specific)

4,8,12,16 will be special (ie an historical tie in that was a turning point but again non theater specific)

9,18 will be unique (a vital strategic mission or target that will be theater specific)

Blackronin
02-05-2014, 15:44
I like that idea.
I also like the idea of having a pool of "free" scenarios that anyone can play between "official" scenarios.