PDA

View Full Version : "The last manned fighter aircraft"

AlgyLacey
07-16-2010, 04:40
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10654822

It's just not going to be the same.

Guntruck
07-16-2010, 05:11
Those Brits who are old enough (probably only me and the Powdermeister) will remember that back in the late 50's the same idea came up. Many new aircraft projects were aborted because the then-government considered it feasible that we could fight wars using pilotless aircraft and missiles. Didn't work then, probably won't now.

AlgyLacey
07-16-2010, 05:24
Those Brits who are old enough (probably only me and the Powdermeister) will remember that back in the late 50's the same idea came up. Many new aircraft projects were aborted because the then-government considered it feasible that we could fight wars using pilotless aircraft and missiles. Didn't work then, probably won't now.

TSR2

So far ahead of it's time they really reckon it would only now be being phased out.

That's a longer service life than Jaguar, F4 Phantom and almost as long as Buccaneer!

“ All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right. ”

— Sir Sydney Camm

flash
07-16-2010, 09:26
Bit like the "experts" (that's usually the people that haven't done the job) saying we no longer need guns on the plane or the knowledge of how to dogfight....
Plonkers.

Gaz67
07-16-2010, 09:33
Ah the Buccaneer, now there was an aircraft....

I have fond memories of watching 2 Bucc's flying along Loch Ness at low level as fast as they could, I stood at the side of the road looking down on them, lovely...

Dom S
07-16-2010, 10:06
I've just finished reading the excellent Phoenix Squadron - thoroughly recommended, especially to Buccaneer buffs.... :D

Flying Officer Kyte
07-16-2010, 11:42
Bit like the "experts" (that's usually the people that haven't done the job) saying we no longer need guns on the plane or the knowledge of how to dogfight....
Plonkers.

The one thing that history teaches us, is that we never learn from history. Only the plonkers change from generation to generation.:(
Rob.

richard m schwab
07-16-2010, 14:03
Hello Cousins!

From that article you will be buying the Navies version of the JSF. There is also a Air Force version that is why they cost £70m.
When the contract was written program, the plane was supposed used by both services without modification. There were two prototypes one could almost deliver and was rejected. The one that could never deliver was accepted. So they cost twice as much after the tax payers paid for two different planes. Then of course the Marines want one with a bayonet clip on the nose!
The TSR-2 was tragic. Why would you want an aircraft with that ability if you have the Canberra!

Rich
P.S. Do you have this saying over there twenty pounds of crap in a five pound sack!

bumblie3
07-18-2010, 02:34
Rich,
Is that anything like a ten-gallon hat on a half-pint head?:D
John.

richard m schwab
07-18-2010, 03:14
John!

With eye holes cut in the side to see out of!:p

Rich

bumblie3
07-18-2010, 03:39
Naturally - wouldn't want to look silly.....
John

richard m schwab
07-18-2010, 03:57
John!

PBS did a program on this plane. Embarrassing is twenty company engineers and bosses telling the the people that ordered one low cost plane. That they never actually considered that in the design process. They always knew that the Air Force and Navy would never want the same plane! That was a after paying their salaries for 15 years.:mad:

Rich

AlgyLacey
07-18-2010, 04:50
John!

With eye holes cut in the side to see out of!:p

Rich

Why just cut holes when you can have cameras mounted on the outfide and a HUD projected on the inside and.....

Only $70,000,000 each (:eek:) - that's some hat.:rolleyes:

richard m schwab
07-18-2010, 04:59
John

While your basic concept is good. It will take years of reach and will 5 Trillion dollars each!:eek: keep your eyes open!;)

Rich

bumblie3
07-18-2010, 05:37
Why just cut holes when you can have cameras mounted on the outfide and a HUD projected on the inside and.....

Only $70,000,000 each (:eek:) - that's some hat.:rolleyes:

Algy, that's not a hat - its a DALEK!:D:D:D:D:D

John

richard m schwab
07-18-2010, 08:00
Guys that might work!Q Can it fly?:eek:

Rich

P.S. I had to look that one up. I was never a big Dr. Who fan!

bumblie3
07-18-2010, 09:07
They haven't been able to conquer the world till now, as flights of stairs screwed them! :D
However, in the last Dr Who series they learned to levitate, so the answer seems to be yes,....:eek:
Cue bong-de-bong, bong-de-bong music, roll end titles and credits....:o
John.

richard m schwab
07-18-2010, 09:22
John!

Some how we are back to the tread title by sheer accident!:eek:

Rich

chimpchoker
07-19-2010, 00:00
I've just finished reading the excellent Phoenix Squadron - thoroughly recommended, especially to Buccaneer buffs.... :D

An excellent reminder of why carriers are useful. Loved the bit where a US Navy pilot walked out on to the flight deck of his carrier and found himself looking down on a Buccaneer zipping past at warp 9. :cool:

Doug
07-22-2010, 01:09
I think we will still have aircraft with pilots after all no computor that I know of can match the skill, ability, emotion and reaction better than the human brain especially in a combat enviroment fear and survival instincts just cannot be produced by a computor program!

Guntruck
07-22-2010, 04:24
I think we will still have aircraft with pilots after all no computor that I know of can match the skill, ability, emotion and reaction better than the human brain especially in a combat enviroment fear and survival instincts just cannot be produced by a computor program!

...or their sense of humour?

Dom S
07-22-2010, 04:26
I did like that one - I also liked the MOD response when some busybody complained, which amounted to a politely worded "get stuffed"....

Naharaht
07-22-2010, 15:09
The last manned fighter? That remains to be seen. 'Experts' have been wrong before. Remember they said that fighters did not need guns any more because of air to air missiles. They soon found out the error of that decision.

Dom S
07-22-2010, 15:32
You forget that the RAF have unlearned that lesson again - no gun for RAF Eurofighters.*

Dom

* Actually there is a gun, but only because removing it knackered the c of g. No ammo though**....
** Unless there is - it seems there's been a u-turn, so the RAF's website doesn't mention it having a gun, but the pilots are allowed to play with it now after all. Maybe.

csadn
07-22-2010, 23:18
Considering the current generation of fighters have the same problem as the WW1 Dreadnoughts (so expensive and complicated to build, no one dares risk losing one in combat), I'm looking forward to the Great Tech Rollback coming in a couple generations.... :)

richard m schwab
07-23-2010, 18:30
Steve!

As long as Stupid knows where he is going it will be alright! Maybe the is Flying Officer Stupid up front? But your right give hem the old v for me!

Rich