PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the kill?

Goering Ace
07-15-2010, 12:55
Hello all. My son and I just finished play testing my mission that I plan to submit for the contest. Long story short he brought down the target plane with hits from his Fokker D.VII, Dr.I and a trench gun all at the same time. The argument we're having is who gets credit for the kill? I say it's simultaneous fire and you have to randomly pick one of the three to see which fired the lethal shot. Hunter , on the other hand, found a rule in the WWII box set (Dawn of War) that stated when two planes hit and down a plane simultaneously they both get credit for the kill, and feels this rule should apply to the WWI game. We need the opinion of our fellow Aerodrome residents to help us with this dispute, so please lend us a hand and tell us how YOU handle this type of situation in your games/missions.

Thanks,
Scott (& Hunter)

WilliamBarkerVC
07-15-2010, 22:06
OK, I tried a post about this on the missions section with no response, so let me try it here since it is in a way a rules question.

If two or more planes hit an enemy simultaneously, do all the planes get credit for the kill or do you randomly choose one to get the credit?

I had this scenario unfold today and need to know how to credit the kill. Any info or thoughts would help. The only reference to this scenario we could find was in DOW, but I could find nothing in the WWI rules.

Scott

The way it was sometimes done was to get a "shared" kill. That's how we play at my local club.

"Another feature of the German system was that where several pilots attacked and destroyed a single enemy, only one pilot (often the formation leader) was credited with the kill. Most other nations adopted the French Armee de l'Air system of granting full credit to every pilot or aerial gunner participating in a victory, which could sometimes be six or seven individuals. The British were inconsistent in this regard - sometimes a "kill" would be credited to the pilot who got in the closest shot, approximating the German system - more often shared claims were credited to everyone responsible, but apparently sometimes as "shares" rather than "whole" victories. In one instance, a Royal Flying Corps pilot described his own score in a letter to his wife as "Eleven, five by me solo - the rest shared". He went on to say, "so I am miles from being an ace".[2]. It appears that his unit, at least, counted "shared" and "solo" victories separately. That pilot, who later became an air vice marshal, is not mentioned in the list of British aces, so some of his "solo" kills may not have been officially confirmed." from a Google search/wiki

csadn
07-15-2010, 23:06
I had this scenario unfold today and need to know how to credit the kill. Any info or thoughts would help.

The way I handle it: The player taking the hit alternates drawing for each acft. shooting at him (when possible starting with the closest firer, and working away; ties are broken by lot). Whichever draw destroys the target, that player gets the credit.

But then, the system I use for working out skills isn't based on kills; it's based on actual damage done....

Oberst Hajj
07-15-2010, 23:57
Going by the rules, all shooting is simultaneous, so there is no clear cut way to award the kill. In my Knights of the Air campaign, we ended up solving this problem by starting with the closest plane to the target. We worked out all damage from that shooting and then moved to the next closest plane, and so on. After all planes had shot, we moved to AA fire and such. If a pilot was an Ace with Quick Shot was involved, he of course shot first.

Gaz67
07-16-2010, 01:14
It's not come up in any of our games yet, but I've pretty much decided that the pilot that does the most damage on the turn the target is destroyed gets the kill.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-16-2010, 02:57
Going by the rules, all shooting is simultaneous, so there is no clear cut way to award the kill. In my Knights of the Air campaign, we ended up solving this problem by starting with the closest plane to the target. We worked out all damage from that shooting and then moved to the next closest plane, and so on. After all planes had shot, we moved to AA fire and such. If a pilot was an Ace with Quick Shot was involved, he of course shot first.

We R.F.C. chaps did not have this problem in the real war. Everyone and his dog seemed to have a share, even if they were just passing at the time. Seriously though, most shared victories were credited to both parties to the attack, and this seems a reasonable way to address the simultaneous fire problem so as not to end up having no one to play with. McCudden, for one, was known to give some of his victories to newby pilots in order to get them blooded in so to speak. How magnanimous was that?
Rob.

flash
07-16-2010, 11:58
Scott - Roll a d6 and let the wargame gods decide !

Goering Ace
07-16-2010, 15:39
Scott - Roll a d6 and let the wargame gods decide !

Dave,
that's exactely what I told him!!

Scott

richard m schwab
07-16-2010, 16:19
Scott!

As we all know it could take 80 years for a lowly infantryman to get such credit. So i say flip a coin or roll the dice. In a game in February the two pilots who blew my KI-43 apart :eek: did not quibble, they flipped a coin. When it happened again ten minutes later after shredding my trusty and now dusty KI-43.:eek: The loser of the first toss got the kill. I had so much fun!:rolleyes:

To be serious Hunter no one likes a RULES LAWYER!:mad:

Rich

flash
07-17-2010, 10:19
Kids huh ! Will they ever listen !! :D