PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Campaigns Macro Groups

Blackronin
12-18-2013, 07:16
With the number, type and nationalities of planes I have, I would divide the possible WW2 air theatres in the following macro groups:

Early Europe (Battle of Poland, Battle of France, Battle of Britain, Convoy War, Malta)
Late Europe (Fortress Europa - Bombing and harassing the Reich, D-day and On to Berlin)

North Africa (Almost the same as Early Europe, but different colour schemes)

Early Barbarossa
Soviet Onslaught (1944-45)

The Rising Sun (Early Pacific)
The Sun sets (Late Pacific)

What do you think?

Marechallannes
12-20-2013, 04:36
We don't have the planes for any late war campaigns or Eastern Front at the moment.

A combination of North Africa and Malta seems reasonable.

Blackronin
12-20-2013, 05:17
I was projecting about the future.
But we do have planes for early Eastern front period:

Germans:
He-111
Stuka
Me-109E/F
Me-110
Ju-52

Russians:
Polikarpov I-16 (AIM)
Hurricane II
Yak-1
Mig-3 (shapeways)
Ilyushin Il-2 (AIR200)
Aircobras (AIM)

That should be enough for a good start.

Marechallannes
12-20-2013, 05:35
For everyone who's willing to buy, build and paint those models. ;)

You forgot the Bf.110, by the way.

My Russian WW II planes are limited to four planes: 3x Yak-1 and 1x Hurricane.

We should orientate the theaters and timelines on the participating players and their miniatures.

Sorry, I don't trust general statements to participate in every theater and mission. :takecover:

Means 3 missions month in the worst case.:surrender:

Let's see who enlist for what theater.

Blackronin
12-20-2013, 05:45
For everyone who's willing to buy, build and paint those models. ;)

I can point two or three fingers...

You forgot the Bf.110, by the way.

No I didn't! I forgot the Norwegian Blue, but not the 110!

My Russian WW II planes are limited to four planes: 3x Yak-1 and 1x Hurricane.

Mine are 3x yak-1, 2x Hurricane and 3 "Little Falcons" are coming from AIM.

Next purchase: "Iron Gustavs"!

We should orientate the theaters and timelines on the participating players and their miniatures.

Sorry, I don't trust general statements to participate in every theater and mission. :takecover:

Means 3 missions month in the worst case.:surrender:

Let's see who enlist for what theater.

I really don't mind. Even just creating missions to a possible war theatre is fine with me. And that makes me look for more planes and paint (liar!) them.

7eat51
12-20-2013, 06:29
I would enjoy writing missions in any of the theaters as needed or desired. I enjoyed writing the one for OTT. It is a good way to learn, and I find that when I put something to writing, it stays with me longer - helps me own what I am learning.

If non-Ares/Nexus planes are going to be required, or even specific planes from Ares/Nexus as opposed to generic categories, e.g. 4 Hurricanes as opposed to 4 fighters, it will be likely that some players won't be able to fly every scenario in a given campaign.

As far as Ares/Nexus planes go, the 109s are the gap in my collection. I have one German and one American bomber, but since those are readily available, I could pick up another as needed. For the 109s, I am looking at AIM or Shapeway to fill in until they are rereleased by Ares.

Would early Europe also include Norway?

Blackronin
12-20-2013, 06:38
I would enjoy writing missions in any of the theaters as needed or desired. I enjoyed writing the one for OTT. It is a good way to learn, and I find that when I put something to writing, it stays with me longer - helps me own what I am learning.

If non-Ares/Nexus planes are going to be required, or even specific planes from Ares/Nexus as opposed to generic categories, e.g. 4 Hurricanes as opposed to 4 fighters, it will be likely that some players won't be able to fly every scenario in a given campaign.

As far as Ares/Nexus planes go, the 109s are the gap in my collection. I have one German and one American bomber, but since those are readily available, I could pick up another as needed. For the 109s, I am looking at AIM or Shapeway to fill in until they are rereleased by Ares.

Would early Europe also include Norway?

That's why we shouldn't give fixed numbers in the scenarios if more than two are needed.
And yes, I guess it would include Norway.

Marechallannes
12-20-2013, 07:40
:(

I'm afraid we need to develop two concepts.

I'm no friend of those world-wide, allround-missions campaigns. The capacities to fly missions are limited.

My very first interest was/is a short BoB campaign for the Luftwaffe and I'm willing to co-develop something similar for the Pacific (USA + Australia).

Other concepts seems to much effort for me at the moment.

Brambo
12-20-2013, 07:59
I would like to be able to jump from theater to theater depending on what the mission requirement is. So if I have aircraft for one mission, I would be able to fly it and if the next mission requires something I haven't got, I could look at other theater mission to see if I could fly those. Hopefully in time I can build my force up to meet mission requirements. To sum up I'm happy to go with what the majority want, I've had a great time so far and long may it continue, thanks guys.

fast.git
12-20-2013, 08:13
My very first interest was/is a short BoB campaign for the Luftwaffe and I'm willing to co-develop something similar for the Pacific (USA + Australia)

I share these interests... and also the concerns about the unwieldy nature of a world-wide campaign. Don't get me wrong... I will play in whatever I can. :)

Blackronin
12-20-2013, 08:25
I prefer to play with you all than to have two campaigns running at the same time.
Saying that, I don't see any great objection into having an open wide campaign and players picking what interests them most or have planes to play with.
Malta is an excellent campaign concept but many don't have the planes needed to play it.
BoB and Early Pacific are probably the most universal campaign to play as almost everybody has planes to go with it.

I would go for the following concept:

WW2 Campaign Sub Forum (strategic ideas and discussion):
- BoB and Bomber Command sub-sub-forum
- Malta sub-sub-forum
- North Africa sub-sub-forum
- Early Pacific sub-sub-forum
- Operation Barbarossa sub-sub-forum

Each one of us can choose and play the missions or campaigns that suits them better.

fast.git
12-20-2013, 08:36
I prefer to play with you all than to have two campaigns running at the same time.
Can't argue with that.

- Malta sub-sub-forum

This could work.

Flying Officer Kyte
12-20-2013, 13:00
I'm happy with that.
I'm sure that whatever the scenario set, I can work it around to Malta somehow. I've even got two Italian Battleships and a cruiser ordered.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
12-20-2013, 15:05
That was the point I was trying to get across. However you put it more eloquently.

Neil

Saying that, I don't see any great objection into having an open wide campaign and players picking what interests them most or have planes to play with.
Malta is an excellent campaign concept but many don't have the planes needed to play it.
BoB and Early Pacific are probably the most universal campaign to play as almost everybody has planes to go with it.

I would go for the following concept:

- Malta sub-sub-forum

Each one of us can choose and play the missions or campaigns that suits them better.

gully_raker
12-20-2013, 16:11
:(

I'm afraid we need to develop two concepts.

I'm no friend of those world-wide, allround-missions campaigns. The capacities to fly missions are limited.

My very first interest was/is a short BoB campaign for the Luftwaffe and I'm willing to co-develop something similar for the Pacific (USA + Australia).

Other concepts seems to much effort for me at the moment.

:salute: I agree 100% Sven.
If we try to cover all the possible battlefronts it will be a nightmare trying to control the results tables. Plus it will have the effect of diluting the numbers of players in each group.
I would much rather have just one campaign in one Theatre running at the one time.

Even if it means I could not participate in a German vs Allies campaign as I have no aircraft for that ( & don't intend to buy any!) I would be happy to wait for a Pacific Campaign later.

Would it be practical to play both at the same time with you controlling the Pacific & Neil, if is he is willing, to look after the European side of things?:confused:

Lt. S.Kafloc
12-20-2013, 16:31
Like I said I have an excell programme developed off the OTT that could handle all the theatres that anybody wishes to play. As mentioned in post 11 above by Blackronin.

Marechallannes
12-20-2013, 21:29

Would it be practical to play both at the same time with you controlling the Pacific & Neil, if is he is willing, to look after the European side of things?:confused:

We will definitely get the Pacific Campaign, Barry.

"Ready to work hand in hand with the Australians to kick the Japs from New Guinea!" :salute:

gully_raker
12-21-2013, 16:56
We will definitely get the Pacific Campaign, Barry.

"Ready to work hand in hand with the Australians to kick the Japs from New Guinea!" :salute:

:cheezy: Way to go Sven!:thumbsup:
You sure you didn't migrate over here after WW1 & flew in the RAAF in WW2?:confused:

Marechallannes
12-21-2013, 17:37
Maybe one of my original Bulldog's pilots. :)

The minimum I need is a RAAF Beaufighter Crew and maybe I'll convert one of my two flying Tiger's P40 into a RAAF plane.

Lt. S.Kafloc
12-21-2013, 21:29
I await whatever outcome is decided. I'll run anything if there is support for it.

Neil

gully_raker
12-22-2013, 17:09
Maybe one of my original Bulldog's pilots. :)

The minimum I need is a RAAF Beaufighter Crew and maybe I'll convert one of my two flying Tiger's P40 into a RAAF plane.

:D Yeah one of my Aussie P-40's started out as a Tiger!.:thumbsup:

Jager
12-23-2013, 11:26
:D Yeah one of my Aussie P-40's started out as a Tiger!.:thumbsup:

I have a number of "tiger" waiting a change in nationality.
Karl'

calm
01-20-2014, 06:08
Just getting back home, and to the game.

How would this work ? I would be interested in the BoB part of this mega campaign, as the Tomato Wing is in need of flying time (as do the Spits, Hurries, bf-109s, bf-110s and Stukas).

Carlos...

Blackronin
01-20-2014, 15:21
I think that what is needed is starting.
I guess that BoB will be a must so, we can get people to subscribe their preferred campaign(s) and go from there.

Marechallannes
01-20-2014, 22:21
I bought a second tomato too, Carlos.

Just for the BoB Campaign.

There will be a number of missions and you can design one if you want.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-21-2014, 01:14
I just need another month to get all my Swordfish and Ships ready for Malta.
Getting Italian Cruisers and Destroyers in 1:1200 is proving a problem.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-21-2014, 15:54
I'm ready to go in the pacific. Europe a trifle longer as most of my European stuff (BoB) is 1/144th scale.

Blackronin
01-21-2014, 16:03
We must start making plans for the campaign.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-22-2014, 11:00
yep. but all areas should run the same?

Nightbomber
01-22-2014, 11:53
I would enlist for Early Europe Group (building forces...) and all things Desert (forces built already).

calm
01-22-2014, 12:10
I would enlist for Early Europe Group (building forces...) and all things Desert (forces built already).

For me, BoB and Ship striking off the British Coast. I have 2 desert stukas (I intend to use them as is in BoB scenarios), but that's all for the desert fighting, no P-40s, bi-planes, Italians, etc... Maybe in time...

Flying Officer Kyte
01-22-2014, 12:26
Well it all seems to be coming together now.
My Italian Destroyer arrived yesterday, and today an E-mail to say that the last parts for building my British Cruisers was on the way, so with clipper working on the Sunderlands, I am in a position to go fairly soon.
Rob.

RichJ
01-22-2014, 14:25
I'm in for a BoB campaign run out...

Blackronin
01-22-2014, 15:02
I'll be for BoB, Malta, North Africa, Early Pacific.
I will use some planes with paintings not fit for the theatre (mixed Stuka paintings etc.) but I won't let that stop me from playing.
I will also try Operation Barbarossa. And I'll see how it goes.

I believe in a handful of pilots, probably moving them from theatre to theatre when I want to and linking their feats by letter, friendship and hazards of war.
The main goal is missions, kills, skills and the trading of planes while time moves on.

I would like to have the campaign (of all the players) being created as one collects those stickers and glues them in the stickers book. Some at the end, some at the beginning, creating flashbacks and flash forwards as we create missions for each war theatre.
So for example, I would create a mission (that could possibly be played in 2 different theatres) and Dave would play it in BoB, Sven in North Africa and Rob would play it only three months from now as a Flashback in Malta.

This would give us many advantages (2 and a half in reality, but who's counting?):

- We wouldn't need to play a scenario in a given time frame;
- Those who would join the campaign later could play previous scenarios at will;
- We could create bridges between player's stories.

What do you think?

gully_raker
01-22-2014, 15:45
:thumbsup: Well I am in for Pacific/New Guinea.
I did list some suggested scenarios that may be useful for some/all Areas in the previous thread on the campaign.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-22-2014, 23:10
The only problem I can see with crossing the time line, is if a pilot you are using in say 1941, was then put in a 1940 scenario in an earlier AAR and died. The continuity would be broken.
Rob.

Blackronin
01-23-2014, 01:05
The only problem I can see with crossing the time line, is if a pilot you are using in say 1941, was then put in a 1940 scenario in an earlier AAR and died. The continuity would be broken.
Rob.

Not a problem at all in the hands of the Time Lords, dear Rob.

If a player want to play with a pilot in 1941 and he wants to play later with that pilot in earlier years he must buy "luck". The "Always comes back alive" ability. Remember it? It was the first rule I created when I joined this wonderful place and started my first solo campaign.

Now let's see. Suppose I wanted to buy a pilot named Paul Kyte. I want to start playing with him in Malta, late 1941, but I want him to have fought in France and BoB.
I decide that he's an ace with 12 kills already. I must spend 50% of his kills buying the absolute knowledge that he survived. The remaining kills can be used to buy other abilities. Now I know that he always returned home. And later when I play previous scenarios with him, I'll discount kills until I reach 15.

Makes sense?

Blackronin
01-23-2014, 01:15
We can make three types of scenarios.
General scenarios - that can be played during all the war, in all theatres. Dogfights, bomb runs, interceptions, target attacks, etc.
Specific scenarios - that can be played in one or two specific theatres and with specific planes. Desert war, carrier attack, dam destructions, etc.
Unique scenarios - that are... unique! Sink the Bismark, Kill Yamamoto, destroy V1, etc.

Scenarios could always have a header with information about availability.

Time Frame (example 1941-1943)
War Theatre (example Mediterranean: Malta and North Africa)
Type: (General, Specific or Unique)

So that someone skimming the Scenarios could easily choose the most favourable one.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-23-2014, 01:16
That would work fine for me, but I thought that we had modified that ability because it was felt to give an unfair advantage. Maybe someone can point me to the post where it was discussed.
Rob.

Brambo
01-23-2014, 01:27
I think I will create pilots for all areas so I can dip in and dip out of scenarios. My knowledge and eqipment is limited for this period but building slowly. This will allow me to use what I have when required. Does anyone know of an "Idiots Guide to Using a Ship Control Card". I read Neil's rulebook but there are still some elements I have no idea about i.e. How you choose special Areas? So an Idiots Guide will be greatly appreciated . :thumbsup:

Trev

Blackronin
01-23-2014, 01:37
That would work fine for me, but I thought that we had modified that ability because it was felt to give an unfair advantage. Maybe someone can point me to the post where it was discussed.
Rob.

In this case we were buying past time. In the present, the ability would have the normal (I can't remember what) characteristics and a pilot with this ability would still be able to die.

I can't find that "ancient" post, but I was also interested in reading it. We were so young back then, weren't we?! :lol:

Blackronin
01-23-2014, 01:42
I think I will create pilots for all areas so I can dip in and dip out of scenarios. My knowledge and eqipment is limited for this period but building slowly. This will allow me to use what I have when required. Does anyone know of an "Idiots Guide to Using a Ship Control Card". I read Neil's rulebook but there are still some elements I have no idea about i.e. How you choose special Areas? So an Idiots Guide will be greatly appreciated . :thumbsup:

Trev

True, Trev.
I think Neil is the perfect person to create a "Ship Control Card Guide for Dummies". I'll take one copy.
I've been using the rule of almost not move the ships while on the table.
Slow ships (like cargo ships) would move at 12-20 knots per hour. A more or less 1/20 of the medium speed of a fighter flying above. I tend to move a ruler smaller side per turn. But I may be wrong here.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-23-2014, 15:47
I'll do a quickie card for ship movement and damage. I'll hope to have it done shortly, after I get the Obersts file done, finish some (some!) merchant ships and a few other things. If you need it quick let me know and I'll try and squeeze it in. Trev if you're going to Vapnartak or WMMS I'll be there and can give you a walk through talk through.

Neil

Brambo
01-24-2014, 03:54
Thanks Neil, can't make Vapnartak but hope to make WMMS, so see you there, thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2014, 14:00
OK I want to try and kick start this. I am willing to organise the Europe or should we call it the 'Western Theater of Operations'? As opposed to the 'Eastern Theater of Operations'. That way we have two areas which could encompass a wide area utilising whatever players have in the way of aircraft and follow the...(see quote below)....as posted by Joaquim.

We can make three types of scenarios.
General scenarios - that can be played during all the war, in all theatres. Dogfights, bomb runs, interceptions, target attacks, etc.
Specific scenarios - that can be played in one or two specific theatres and with specific planes. Desert war, carrier attack, dam destructions, etc.
Unique scenarios - that are... unique! Sink the Bismark, Kill Yamamoto, destroy V1, etc.

Scenarios could always have a header with information about availability.

Time Frame (example 1941-1943)
War Theatre (example Mediterranean: Malta and North Africa)
Type: (General, Specific or Unique)

So that someone skimming the Scenarios could easily choose the most favourable one.

Neil.

1. Just to add France surrendered on June 22nd 1940, the Med/Mid East kicked off proper on 10 Jun 1940 when Italy entered the war on Germany's side. So, not detracting from the Poland/Fall of France campaigns which were very one sided, I propose to kick start the WTO in Sept 1940 with BoB plus, a little later than it did, the Med/Mid East.
2. Players will have a complete squadron, which may fictional or historic. Squadron's may be dispatched to different theaters as and when each player wishes. It may be possible for allied squadrons to switch from WTO to the ETO.
3. As in the case of the Midway Rising Campaign I would like to include Joaquim's campaign rules:

1. The Campaign
The Campaign simulates, throughout the length of # scenarios, the WTO 1940-194#.
This Campaign has only one or two simple campaign rules. The rest is scenario driven.
The Campaign management comprehends only two aspects: Squadron maintenance and pilot evolution.

1.1. Allied vs. Axis
Each player chooses if he wants to belong to the Allies or to the Axis.
Players choose 12 pilots that will pilot whatever models the players have available:
1 Ace with one Ace ability and the Evasion Ability;
3 Veteran pilots with the Evasion Ability;
6 Standard pilots and;
2 Rookies that have the "take two damage counters and choose the smaller Rookie Ability". Rookies stop being rookies after 2 combat missions where they successfully fire against the enemy or shoot down a plane.

1.2. Pilot Evolution
Pilots that survive battles and take down enemy planes evolve during the campaign.
A pilot gains abilities and looses the rookie ability by flying missions and taking down planes.
Each successful mission flown gives the pilot 1 Experience Point (XP). Successful missions are those where the pilot is not shot down and fires with success against at least one enemy plane.
Each plane shot down gives the pilot 2 Experience Point.

The first plane shot or the second successful mission erases the Rookie ability.
Three successful missions and a pilot becomes veteran with the Evasion ability.
Per 3 XP's a pilot can choose an ace ability.
When a pilot gains 5 kills he can chose an ace ability.

1.3. Squadron Management
This is pretty straightforward. Here we manage what happens to wounded pilots, shot down planes and replacements.

Wounded Pilots (roll 1D6):
1-3 - Out of Action;
4-6 - Just a bruise. Some iodine and I'm ready for action.

Modifiers:
Ace +2;
Veteran +1,
Rookie -1;
Bailed out/crash-landed -1

Shot Down Table (roll 1D6):
1-3 - KIA;
4-6 - Bailed out/Crash-landed.

Modifiers:
Ace +2;
Veteran +1,
Rookie -1;
Explosion -1

Pilot Replacement Table (roll 1D6)
1-2 - Rookie
3-5 - Regular
6 - Roll again: 1-5 - Veteran, 6 - Ace with 1 ace ability

Replacement pilot and plane will arrive (1D6):
1-3 - In time for the next battle;
4-5 - After the end of the next battle;
6 - Not in time to take part of the action (scratch one plane from your squadron)

2. Scenarios
The Scenarios will be written down as the Campaign evolves. We only need the first to start.
The scenarios may be played differently if you are Allied or Axis. In the scenarios the different rules will be specified.

calm
01-25-2014, 14:12
The planes I have limits me to the BoB campaign. That said, count me in for all the Bob scenarios :D

Blackronin
01-25-2014, 14:53
Not a problem at all in the hands of the Time Lords, dear Rob.

If a player want to play with a pilot in 1941 and he wants to play later with that pilot in earlier years he must buy "luck". The "Always comes back alive" ability. Remember it? It was the first rule I created when I joined this wonderful place and started my first solo campaign.

Now let's see. Suppose I wanted to buy a pilot named Paul Kyte. I want to start playing with him in Malta, late 1941, but I want him to have fought in France and BoB.
I decide that he's an ace with 12 kills already. I must spend 50% of his kills buying the absolute knowledge that he survived. The remaining kills can be used to buy other abilities. Now I know that he always returned home. And later when I play previous scenarios with him, I'll discount kills until I reach 15.

Makes sense?

What about this, Neil?

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2014, 17:00
As both sides of the WTO start in Sept 1940 a player can decide whether he begins the campaign in Britain, Malta, Africa et al.
This is the players choice dependent on model availability and/or preference.
A player can switch his squadron between Britain, Malta, Africa with NP. Scenario's are not specifically dated and within 'our' campaign world can be allowed to do so.
Most scenario's will be generic so can be adapted to any WTO location.
Every 3rd/5th scenario will be a specific scenario.
At least 1 should be a special.
Players will decide how many scenario's the campaign will last for.
Much can be decided as we go and amend as needed.
If players wanted to play in both WTO and ETO then they can run separate groups or transfer this can be co-ordinated by the controllers of each theater.
Lets run with it and see how it goes?

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2014, 17:25
Ah, now I see what you're getting at. Why not keep it simple like OTT. We start the WTO campaign in 1940, as I said, but player can choose where they start and play the scenario's from 1940 through to campaign end. Not jump back and forward through time. Makes it easy on the book keeping.

Marechallannes
01-25-2014, 21:24
I think we need a subforum first.

There we can organize the players, squadrons, missions.

Important threads:

Rules
Missions overview
Roster
etc...

Normal threads:

Infirmary
Officer's mess
single briefings
AARs
etc...

Maybe we can consult Flash for a structure proposal to get what we need to organize this campaign and the ideas. :)

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-26-2014, 01:25
OK let me know when its sorted. I'll put this on the back burner until then.

Neil

I think we need a subforum first.

There we can organize the players, squadrons, missions.

Important threads:

Rules
Missions overview
Roster
etc...

Normal threads:

Infirmary
Officer's mess
single briefings
AARs
etc...

Maybe we can consult Flash for a structure proposal to get what we need to organize this campaign and the ideas. :)

Marechallannes
01-26-2014, 01:40
Do we already have a name for this campaign?

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-26-2014, 01:54
WTO-OT or ETO-OT.

Western Theater of Operations Out of the Trenches
Eastern Theater of Operation Out of the Trenches

Just a thought.

Marechallannes
01-26-2014, 02:33
PTO - OT

Pacific theater of Operations is there, too.

;)

Marechallannes
01-26-2014, 02:40
Maybe something more common like:

Fire in the Sky

Similar to the Fire from the Sky expansion. ;)

Brambo
01-26-2014, 07:24
Or maybe Storm over Europe, Storm over the Med and Storm in the Pacific ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
01-26-2014, 09:37
For the Malta Campaign I intend to field two main Squadrons. The main one will be my "Bulldogs" 52 sq now transferred to the Royal Navy F.A.A. and equipped with Swordfish and covering Martletts. They will be designated 852 Sq. F.A.A.
In support will be Faith, Hope, and Charity plus a couple of Hurricanes, and later some Spitfires. I also have a pair of Blenheims and a Beaufighter, with the chance of future additions of a couple of Wellingtons and a Sunderland.
this would cover most of my needs, although a Maryland would also be quite nice.
Overall command of operations of these aircraft would fall to the now elderly and desk bound Air Commodore Frederic.O. Kyte. serving directly under Air Vice Marshall Maynard.
Together with elements of the Fleet operating out of Gibraltar on convoy duty this should give the Italian Air-force and Navy sufficient problems to contend with for a while.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-26-2014, 11:18
Or maybe Storm over Europe, Storm over the Med and Storm in the Pacific ;)

Sounds a good title to me Trev. I could subtitle my Malta bit of Storm over the Med " Storm in a teacup".;)
Rob.

Marechallannes
01-26-2014, 11:45
Storm Over... sounds good, but what we need is a name for the WW II Solo Campaign first.

A request for a subforum is under way, but I think we get one with 3 - 4+ subsections (Med, France/BoB, Eastern Front, Pacific)

Out of the trenches is a nice connection to the WW I campaign, but sounds like infantry that man planes, know.

fast.git
01-26-2014, 12:09
Sounds a good title to me Trev. I could subtitle my Malta bit of Storm over the Med " Storm in a teacup".;)
Rob.

"Tempest in a teacup?" ;)

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-26-2014, 13:21
I was thinking of just two general theaters. Western includes middle east west. And Eastern the Far East/Pacific etc. Rather than have the historical theaters.

Neil

PTO - OT

Pacific theater of Operations is there, too.

;)

flash
01-27-2014, 00:11
I would suggest a single sub-forum "Fire in the Skies" (Skies as you are doing more than one theatre) set up as Sven suggests; you can then set up stickies for anything theatre specific. Decide who you would like to manage the sub-forum and who you would like to manage the stats sheets.
Decide how it is going to run - are you running different theatres side by side or are going to start with eg BoB and write some scenario. Those who cannot do BoB can simply adjust the scenario to their needs; those who want to fly it more than once can do both. When it comes to area specific ops then peeps can write them for their area of ops.
If you go for running separate areas - decide who is controlling them & roster scenario writers
If you are happy with the subforum name I will go ahead with a request for that, maybe a slight delay today as collecting the Mem-sahib from hospital following knee replacement surgery.

Blackronin
01-27-2014, 01:28
Dave: I hope everything goes well with your wife.

Your counsel seems quite correct.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-27-2014, 05:58
Dave I hope your wife is well and knee is on the mend. Great ideas for the sub-forums and stickies.
Need someone to set up stickies as I can't do it.
Scenarios should run as Joaquim has put forward:

I am willing to run the BoB and Med (includes Africa) Theaters together as they both started at roughly the same time. It would also give players the chance to post squadrons between theaters (cut & paste) so no real hardships there.

Spreadsheet is up and running, I'm adding info as people send it.

We need to confirm a start date so people are playing off the same song sheet.

Neil

I would suggest a single sub-forum "Fire in the Skies" (Skies as you are doing more than one theatre) set up as Sven suggests; you can then set up stickies for anything theatre specific. Decide who you would like to manage the sub-forum and who you would like to manage the stats sheets.
Decide how it is going to run - are you running different theatres side by side or are going to start with eg BoB and write some scenario. Those who cannot do BoB can simply adjust the scenario to their needs; those who want to fly it more than once can do both. When it comes to area specific ops then peeps can write them for their area of ops.
If you go for running separate areas - decide who is controlling them & roster scenario writers
If you are happy with the subforum name I will go ahead with a request for that, maybe a slight delay today as collecting the Mem-sahib from hospital following knee replacement surgery.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-27-2014, 06:11
Just added 852 SQ FAA to sheet for FO Kyte.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-27-2014, 06:33
Really sound advice from Dave as usual.
I vote we work on those principles.
Rob.

flash
01-27-2014, 08:32
I have requested a 'Fire in the Skies' sub-forum from Herr Oberst with me as moderator to start with - once it's up and running you will be able to post as normal - once the rules etc have been agreed then we can post them as stickies. Hals und beingebruch !

SWMBO is fine thankyou chaps - just finding things a bit harder now the meds have worn off !! ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
01-27-2014, 08:40
SWMBO is fine thank you chaps - just finding things a bit harder now the meds have worn off !! ;)

Glad to hear that your Good Lady is back at home and doing well. Please give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Rob.

flash
01-27-2014, 10:42
++Message from Senior Management++

:thankyou:

Flying Officer Kyte
01-27-2014, 12:23
:salute:My pleasure Squadron Leader.:waf::hatsoff:
Rob.

Marechallannes
01-27-2014, 12:26
Thanks for your engagement, Dave.

Best health wishes for your wife. :)

Nightbomber
01-27-2014, 12:37
Thanks Dave:) Happy your wife is getting better. I know something of knee problems...:eek:

calm
01-27-2014, 12:42
Dave, I hope everything is getting beter with your wife's knee. My daughter just undergone a shoulder cirurgical intervention, I think, both cases, can be very painfull sometimes.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-27-2014, 14:42
Can we agree on what ACE skill list we are using? Some from the book are not viable (ie technical eye) and evasion is the same as lucky pilot skill.

Blackronin
01-27-2014, 15:33
Ace Abilities for Solo Missions

Acrobatic Pilot
(Players and AI's)
This pilot may perform a non-straight manoeuvre after a reverse manoeuvre. When you use this ability, take five Recovery counters.

Daredevil
(Players only)
This pilot may perform two steep manoeuvres in succession. Take four Recovery counters when you execute the second steep manoeuvre.

Exceptional Pilot
(Players only)
This pilot can use the Reverse Manoeuvre card twice in a row. Use the Exceptional Pilot counter to remember that you will make another Reverse Manoeuvre card. If two Reverse Manoeuvre cards are performed in succession, take four Recovery counters after the second manoeuvre.

Evasion
(Players and AI's)
This pilot may choose to ignore a single damage token during the game, after drawing and seeing it. The ignored token is shuffled back into its group. To remember that this skill has been used, turn its token face-down.

Good at Escaping
(Players and AI's)
This skill is useful only when the Tailing optional rule is in use. This pilot’s plane may not be tailed unless the tailing plane’s pilot also is an ace with the Good at Escaping skill.

Super Ace
(Players and AI's)
The player discards two counters from each of the pilot’s skills after each manoeuvre, rather than just one.

Perfect Aim
(Players and AI's)
When firing, this crewman may choose to have his opponent take an additional “A” token of damage, even if he did not shoot at the same plane
in the previous firing phase. You must decide to use this ability before your opponent draws damage counters. This ability has no effect if you are using the Aim optional rule and the ace did shoot the same plane in the previous phase. When you use this ability, take three Recovery counters.

Sniper
(Players and AI's)
When this ace fires at an enemy plane, he tends to hit a bull’s-eye. When he fires, he may partially choose one of the damage tokens that his opponent has to draw. Instead of his opponent drawing the selected token, the player controlling the sniper draws two of the tokens with the selected letter, looks at them, gives the one of his choice to his opponent, and places the other back among the others, reshuffling them.
If the opponent had to draw multiple damage tokens, he draws the other tokens normally. When you use this ability, take four Recovery counters.

Itchy Trigger Finger
(Players and AI's)
Aces with this ability may resolve their firing before other crewmen. If they do, all the damage that they cause is resolved before the simultaneous fire of crewmen who do not have the Itchy Trigger Finger skill. If the target plane is shot down, it does not get to fire (unless it is manned by another ace with Itchy Trigger Finger). When you use this ability, take four Recovery counters. Aces with this ability may choose to fire normally (to avoid taking Recovery
counters) and may fire normally when their Itchy Trigger Finger skill has Recovery counters on it.

Always coming Home
Pilot's Only
When crashes, the Pilot will always find a way to return home to the aerodrome. He has a +3 bonus when rolling for bailing out and escaping.

Lucky Git
(Players and AI's)
The first damage chit from the current turn that the player or AI draws is taken following these rules: take two damage chits of the appropriate colour. If the chits don't have special damage, use the one with smaller damage on in. If any of the chits have special damage, use that chit. If both chits have special damage, return both chits to the chit cup - no damage is dealt.

Hard as Nails
(Players and AI's)
The first pilot wounded chit doesn't have any effect. Flesh wound! The second is treated as the first normal wound and the third will incapacitate/kill the pilot as per rules.

Rookie Ability
(Players and AI's)
When being shot by a rookie, the player takes two damage counters per damage counter he receives and choose the smaller one. Rookies stop being rookies and become standard pilots after 2 combat missions where they successfully fire against the enemy or when they shoot down a plane.

calm
01-27-2014, 15:47
EVASION was listed in the pilots sheet as an Ace skill for every Ace there. Can we change it (choose one of the other Skills) ? Or is this the first Ace skill every Ace receives.

Blackronin
01-27-2014, 15:53
We use it as the default Veteran Skill. You're not an Ace (not having 5 kills) but with enough combat experience to give you an edge.

calm
01-27-2014, 15:59
We use it as the default Veteran Skill. You're not an Ace (not having 5 kills) but with enough combat experience to give you an edge.

That`s ok for me, just curious.

Thanks for the explanation...

Brambo
01-27-2014, 16:47
Thanks for your help Dave and pleased to hear SWMBO is getting better. Neil thanks for stepping up and organising, I will send you my Sqn list when I have some idea as to what I'm doing ;) Joaquim your ideas are great, keep them coming :thumbsup:

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-27-2014, 23:48
Cheers Joaquim, I knew there was a list from Midway just couldn't find it.

flash
01-28-2014, 00:31
On the areas of operations and how things are being named - I think some may find WTO & ETO a little confusing - I say this as ETO is already well known nomenclature for the WW2 European Theatre of Operations; this was generally divided into Eastern & Western Front so ETO -WF may be a way to go & that leaves room to those who hanker for the Ost Front. The Pacific Theatre of Operations encompassed that area so PTO would seem appropriate for that area. I'd also suggest, particularly for Rob, you use Middle East Command for Malta/Africa/Italy & anywhere in the Med or on its coast inc France.
Of course you could just go Empire on their ass from the get go and use the following for the kick off:

Fighter Command - BoB/Rhubarbs
Bomber Command - For any bomber games
Middle East Command - Malta/Desert & anywhere in the Med - later Mediterranean Command
Far East command - India / SE Asia

Anyway - Just thought I'd stick my 2d in !

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-28-2014, 04:06
I've already broke the spreadsheet down to 4 areas for the Western Theaters. BoB, Med, Norway, Russia.

On the areas of operations and how things are being named - I think some may find WTO & ETO a little confusing - I say this as ETO is already well known nomenclature for the WW2 European Theatre of Operations; this was generally divided into Eastern & Western Front so ETO -WF may be a way to go & that leaves room to those who hanker for the Ost Front. The Pacific Theatre of Operations encompassed that area so PTO would seem appropriate for that area. I'd also suggest, particularly for Rob, you use Middle East Command for Malta/Africa/Italy & anywhere in the Med or on its coast inc France.
Of course you could just go Empire on their ass from the get go and use the following for the kick off:

Fighter Command - BoB/Rhubarbs
Bomber Command - For any bomber games
Middle East Command - Malta/Desert & anywhere in the Med - later Mediterranean Command
Far East command - India / SE Asia

Anyway - Just thought I'd stick my 2d in !

flash
01-28-2014, 09:41
I've already broke the spreadsheet down to 4 areas for the Western Theaters. BoB, Med, Norway, Russia.

Just making the point that ETO means European Theatre of Operations - didn't realise the decision on the names had already been made.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-28-2014, 12:01
No decisions have been finalised. I just broke the European Theater of Operations (which I was calling WTO) into 4 distinct play theaters, BoB, Med, Norway, Russia. Not being a true WW2 officianado didn't realise that ETO/PTO being the same would cause confusion, should have realised but didn't I am sure beings more intelligent than I can make a better stab at it. It's easy to change tab headings on a spreadsheet etc. I just wanted to kick this off before it got shelved after too long spent just discussing it.

Neil

Just making the point that ETO means European Theatre of Operations - didn't realise the decision on the names had already been made.