PDA

View Full Version : Flight Stands with built in Altitude rings

Oberst Hajj
07-13-2010, 03:17
The Aerodrome Accessories flight stands were designed to make it easier to keep track of the altitude of a plane. It also allows the use of altitude rules with out actually having to raise and lower your miniature every time you go up or down a level.

The base its self is laser cut from 1/8 (3mm) crystal clear plastic and the details are laser etched. The base comes uncolored and it is suggested that you use red and black crayons to color in the etched details.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=4216

Here is a photo of the base with the paper backing still on.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=3299

Here are a couple of shots of the base with the details colored in. In the first two you can see that it has been colored in to be used as a two-seater stand. The firing arcs are in red while the dashed line on the back of the base is the rear gunner's blind spot.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=3226

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=3225

This shot shows the base colored as a Scout base. It has also been colored to show a max altitude of 13, that of an Albatros D.III. You can also see the data box that is etched into the base. This area can be used to label your bases if you intend to assign a plane type to each base.

The altitude ring goes up to an altitude of 16, the max for the game according to Andrea. The small dial that sits on the ring is numbered 1-8, corresponding with the climb rates in the game.

Here are the design drawings for the bases.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=2967http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=2970

The bases in use...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=3215

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=3214

http://mobowow.powweb.com/store/media/100414-0000204031-GP5B6942.jpg

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=4215

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=4213

het
08-01-2010, 11:41
hello
great tools
are they compatible with gimball sets ?
about those gimble mounts what are the sizes of ball and ring.
6mm or less ? perhaps the ball is 3mm and the ring 6mm ?
do you need to make a big hole ?
thanks for advices.

Oberst Hajj
08-01-2010, 13:29
Hey Eric, the stand and gimbal mounts all work together. The balls are 3/16 of an inch... or roughly 4.7mm You could get by with drilling a 2.5 to 3mm hole in the bottom of the plane. I can try and get some pics if you need them of the underside of a plane with the gimbal mount.

het
08-01-2010, 15:48
hello
great pleasure to be back to wings of war great forum !
you've done great job.
great ideas, great products.

big hole in such small planes (especially wwi fighters), pictures could help !
and don't see many french aviators using those tools...

the flight panels seem to be awesome, not yet photos to see how tool works ?

wwii bombers stands are really great, we should go on scenarios cards idea !

Oberst Hajj
08-02-2010, 20:21
Its good to have you back Eric!

I'll try and get some pics over the next couple of days. The holes are not that large, they just need to let the ball bearing sit down in the plane a little bit. It is just to add strength when gluing the bearing onto the plane.

I think I have only had one order placed from France :( These are really big hits in the rest of the world though.

The Cockpits (flight panels) are still being worked out, so no photos or videos of it yet... but there will be!

The bomber stands hove come out really nice, now I just need time to write up a mission for them and get you to make me some cards to go with them :D

het
08-03-2010, 08:38
hello
thanks a lot !

perhaps frenchies prefer buy a new planes than some accessories...
or perhaps add some standard flat basic letter shipping service at lower costs...

bomber stand :
unfortunately my wwII bomber card do not fit with your stands.
i'll have to make some new design

mission card :
as soon as you can ;)

Oberst Hajj
08-03-2010, 22:57
I don't think your cards have to fit the bases, they are more for info then for playing with... unless you use cards only... then you don't need my bases!

het
08-04-2010, 00:48
Of course, card mission may have any size or shape.
About bomber cards, I think it's better looking if card fits with the base (like for any other plane) ;)...
Then a unique size for all bomber cards seems to be a good idea.

Oberst Hajj
08-04-2010, 22:26
I can get you the sizes and layouts that I used on the bases if you would like to make cards to fit them? Each bomber has a different sized base... it all depends on how long I need it to fit all the gun arcs in!

het
08-05-2010, 00:45
waouhh ! i didn't realize that each bomber has specific card...well,you are right : i need sizes and layouts to try something .

Oberst Hajj
08-05-2010, 02:06
I think the B-24 and Betty bases are the same size, the B-17 is longer in and the Sally is much shorter. I'm not sure what the Lancaster is going to come up to yet. I'll send you an email with everything in it. Can you open .eps files?

het
08-05-2010, 03:37
thanks a lot.
yes I can ;)

Ed2
09-30-2010, 16:43
I would guess you've answered this question before. Why isn't your base hole drilled (punched) to the same size as the WoW base?

Oberst Hajj
09-30-2010, 21:54
Ed, on of the issues I had with the official flgiht stands was that the pegs would often seperate from the base during play. By making my hole larger and inserting a slightly modified official peg, I was able to solve that issue.

Whatch this short video on the Gimbal Mounts (http://www.wingsofwar.org/products/vids/gimble.wmv)and you will see what I'm talking about.

Ed2
09-30-2010, 22:40
I should have known that you gave it a lot of thought. Thanks for a great product.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-20-2010, 12:34
Colonel,

FYI...The video link is no longer active :confused:
Nor is the Col. He is on R & R for the next week. Please put it in his pending tray, or failing that send him a P.M. for when he gets back.
Rob.

The Cowman
11-21-2010, 00:32
Ed, on of the issues I had with the official flgiht stands was that the pegs would often seperate from the base during play. By making my hole larger and inserting a slightly modified official peg, I was able to solve that issue.

Whatch this short video on the Gimbal Mounts (http://www.wingsofwar.org//store/Vids/gimble.wmv)and you will see what I'm talking about.

I just finished marking up the shipment of stands and prop rulers I received yesterday and they look spiffy! Worth every penny! :)

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=5920

Obviously I have the pegs in upside down so I could take the pic... and with the video not working, I am assuming that the "slight modifications" to which the Col. is refering involve shaving off the tiny peg so that the base can sit flush with the table... Does anyone know if that would be correct? :confused:

Flying Officer Kyte
11-21-2010, 01:49
Yes, he did, but before you rush off and destroy what is a very scarce comodity, consider this. You can push the peg into its proper stand, and plant the new one over it without cutting off the peg. This has two additional advantages. 1. It makes the base heavier, and 2, it shows the original aircraft details through the perspex of the top base. This not, of course, an option if you are scratch building an aircraft as you have no official base.
Very nice work on the bases. How did you achieve the very tasteful colour scheme?
Rob.

Ed2
11-21-2010, 10:25
Great work Ken. What did you use for the color?

The Cowman
11-21-2010, 15:24
Yes, he did, but before you rush off and destroy what is a very scarce comodity, consider this. You can push the peg into its proper stand, and plant the new one over it without cutting off the peg. This has two additional advantages. 1. It makes the base heavier, and 2, it shows the original aircraft details through the perspex of the top base. This not, of course, an option if you are scratch building an aircraft as you have no official base.
Very nice work on the bases. How did you achieve the very tasteful colour scheme?
Rob.

Nice idea... how do you keep the acrylic base from shifting around on the WoW base? I was worried about trashing seven pegs and then cutting up a bunch more for the gimble mounts... now this way I can do only the gimbles and save my flight peg "gold"! (Color question answered below!)

Great work Ken. What did you use for the color?

Thanks! Just Crayola Crayon... Black, White Orange and Red. I have found tht it works better if you do your rubbing under a warm lamp... I used a 100 watt bulb about 6 inches above my hands... this warms up the acrylic just enough to soften the wax and make it flow a teeny bit better into the markings... you have to be careful not to get it too warm because then it tend to "rub back out" as you are working... then you let it cool and rub off the excess.

Works like a charm! :D

Flying Officer Kyte
11-22-2010, 00:54
Nice idea... how do you keep the acrylic base from shifting around on the WoW base?

The tolerances on the pegs are variable. Try a few until you get one that has an interference fit with the top base. It will be enough to hold it in place as long as you are not too rough. I got fagged off with keep changing bases to different planes and am now gradually buying the cols bases for each plane. I may then glue them all in place permanently.
Rob.

The Cowman
11-22-2010, 09:01
The tolerances on the pegs are variable. Try a few until you get one that has an interference fit with the top base. It will be enough to hold it in place as long as you are not too rough. I got fagged off with keep changing bases to different planes and am now gradually buying the cols bases for each plane. I may then glue them all in place permanently.
Rob.

I was just looking at my ever-growing mini collection and thinking that I am gonna have to order some more bases myself...

Flying Officer Kyte
11-22-2010, 11:13
I was just looking at my ever-growing mini collection and thinking that I am gonna have to order some more bases myself...
I just got fed up with keep on moving them from plane to plane. Now it's just the having to order new ones for each set of new planes. I thaught I was ahead having got enough in stock for series 4 and the Deluxe re issue. Then I found another Se5 in a shop, A trader had a Neiuport to convert to Mannock's and a Brumowski has turned up unexpectedly, plus a 1 1/2 Strutter to build, so I'm 4 bases down again, and so it goes on. Still must not complain, at least we have got some great bases to use.:)
Rob.

Walt Powell
11-25-2010, 04:06
Rob.

Soooo.....Rob, for those of us who are visual learners: we are placing our Aerodrome bases ON TOP of the original WoW flight stands...then the peg goes down through the first and locks into the WoW base? A pic would be lovely. :) Walt

Walt Powell
11-25-2010, 04:10
Rob.

Another related question: Rob, do you think Nexus will ever make "additional accessories" available. Seems every game I've ever played has had a flyer insert in the box where you could order individual parts for a game; either as replacements for lost or broken originals...or to add and augment your game. How difficult would it be for Nexus to make the "golden" pegs available in this manner? Seems like a favorable marketing tool for them. walt

Flying Officer Kyte
11-25-2010, 04:51
Another related question: Rob, do you think Nexus will ever make "additional accessories" available. Seems every game I've ever played has had a flyer insert in the box where you could order individual parts for a game; either as replacements for lost or broken originals...or to add and augment your game. How difficult would it be for Nexus to make the "golden" pegs available in this manner? Seems like a favorable marketing tool for them. walt
I agree Walt. We have talked this one through ad infinitum. How big a hammer can you bring to the party. Nexus will supply the wall as usual. I often wonder how much feedback they actually get on these subjects we discuss on here. I once got in touch direct about marketing policy but got nowhere. Maybe we should all E-mail them individually with one set request for pegs.
I will photograph the bases when I can get back into my hobby room. That's another story.:eek:
Rob.

tonyc206
11-25-2010, 05:52
I agree Walt. We have talked this one through ad infinitum. How big a hammer can you bring to the party. Nexus will supply the wall as usual. I often wonder how much feedback they actually get on these subjects we discuss on here. I once got in touch direct about marketing policy but got nowhere. Maybe we should all E-mail them individually with one set request for pegs.
I will photograph the bases when I can get back into my hobby room. That's another story.:eek:
Rob.

Do we have any members in Hong Kong? The chaps over there can usually find the factory and get a job lot. Well they can with most other things from China & Japan.

Walt Powell
11-25-2010, 06:50
Rob.

Thanks Rob! On the pegs: maybe the Italian manufacturers and company distributor simply don't view marketing strategies ("supply and demand"...."profit and gain"....etc) as other parts of the world do? Otherwise I can't imagine their reluctance to make such items readily available to their customer base. How difficult could it truly be; either in the manufacturing end or mass distribution? Pay the guy (or gal) who's plugging out four pegs per box to make baggies of ten or so each! And the added incentive for Nexus would be that they are keeping their best customers pleased and "coming back for more"!

On the other hand, of course, their theory on slowly eeking out new plane minis could be an old one: keep 'em collectible....keep 'em scarce....keep a throat-hold on the market...protect your position in the market.

But "pegs"? How do you say, "Come on, Man!" in Italian?

BTW....on the base "pics": no rush. I think I figured it out....was being lazy asking instead of experimenting with my own stands and my newly-arrived Aerodrome stands. As pointed out earlier: the key is finding a "peg" that fits, as they (pegs and/or Aerodrome stands) all seem to vary in measurements.

Thanks again! And I have to add....it's great to be able to ask anything and geta learned response with no "dummy" undertones noticable. :) Happy Thanksgiving!!! Walt

Flying Officer Kyte
11-25-2010, 07:37
Thanks again! And I have to add....it's great to be able to ask anything and get a learned response with no "dummy" undertones noticable. :) Happy Thanksgiving!!! Walt
On your thinking about the Nexus conundrum, we are in accord. Somewhere on here in the distant annals of the past, is a diatribe by me on the subject of market forces and supply.
Re the "dummy". I usually take it out of my mouth before replying to people. It's only good manners not to talk with your mouth full.:D
Rob.

MayorJim
11-25-2010, 17:08
Soooo.....Rob, for those of us who are visual learners: we are placing our Aerodrome bases ON TOP of the original WoW flight stands...then the peg goes down through the first and locks into the WoW base? A pic would be lovely. :) Walt

WoW (no pun intended)...I'm getting turned around here. Are folks saying that the pegs don't exactly fit into the aerodrome stands? Or...are they saying the aerodrome stands fit over the Nexus stands? That las t seems unlikely to me...but, in any event, is their a problem with the aerodrome stands? I realize that one has to "color" them in ... but aside from that, what other challenges are there? e.g. do the altitude and climb rings fir on easily...etc.

Thanks for any clarifications...

Walt Powell
11-25-2010, 19:53
WoW (no pun intended)...I'm getting turned around here. Are folks saying that the pegs don't exactly fit into the aerodrome stands? Or...are they saying the aerodrome stands fit over the Nexus stands? That las t seems unlikely to me...but, in any event, is their a problem with the aerodrome stands? I realize that one has to "color" them in ... but aside from that, what other challenges are there? e.g. do the altitude and climb rings fir on easily...etc.

Thanks for any clarifications...

I gathered from previous posts on this thread that the holes in the Aerodrome stands are too big for the pegs. And, one person offered a solution of putting the Aerodrome base on top of the WoW base...then the peg goes done all the way through the Aero stand and locks into the WoW stand, making (as one person said) a heavier and more stable platform combined. Sure enough, I found this to be true with mine. Was there another reason or "fix' for the larger hole in the Aero stand bases?

Flying Officer Kyte
11-26-2010, 00:53
I gathered from previous posts on this thread that the holes in the Aerodrome stands are too big for the pegs. And, one person offered a solution of putting the Aerodrome base on top of the WoW base...then the peg goes done all the way through the Aero stand and locks into the WoW stand, making (as one person said) a heavier and more stable platform combined. Sure enough, I found this to be true with mine. Was there another reason or "fix' for the larger hole in the Aero stand bases?
Let me clarify the situation gents.
1. There is NOTHING wrong with the Aerodrome bases. Just the opposite.The pegs push in from underneath and the relief angle on the peg ensures they lock in.
2. To save the peg from needing its little spiggot cutting off, I suggested pushing it into the existing Nexus base under the Aerodrome one. This had the unexpected advantage of adding extra stability because of the weight of two bases, and showing the original markings through the base for easy reference.
3. The problem is with the Nexus pegs. They are of variable quality as regards fit. Some snug and some loose. I'm sure you have noticed as your planes spiral down after falling off the pegs.
4.To help stop this at base level at the least, I suggested getting one of the snug fit pegs into the base. This has nothing to do with its fit into said base but rather its fit into the Nexus base underneath. I'm sorry if I was not clear enough the first time round, but this is what tends to happen when a discussion is made peicemeal in a series of disjointed postings from several interested parties.
I hope this has cleared it up a bit for you.
In the end it is your decision which course of action you follow after all.:)
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-26-2010, 01:48
If you look in the Hobby room there is a thread on loose flight pegs and what to do about them.
Rob.

Walt Powell
11-26-2010, 04:31
I'm sorry if I was not clear enough the first time round, but this is what tends to happen when a discussion is made peicemeal in a series of disjointed postings from several interested parties.
I hope this has cleared it up a bit for you.
In the end it is your decision which course of action you follow after all.:)
Rob.

Once again....thanks Rob!

Flying Officer Kyte
11-26-2010, 04:57
Once again....thanks Rob!
No probs Walt. After all that's what this is all about. Helping each other to enjoy our hobby to the full.:)
rob.

Walt Powell
11-26-2010, 06:14
Let me clarify the situation gents.
1. There is NOTHING wrong with the Aerodrome bases.

Let me add to FO Kyte's response for anyone reading this: I'm sure that no one meant to cast a negative light upon the Aerodrome stands. They're a quality product. As for my part: I suspect that I may incorrectly state my questions at times, but this is out of an innocent quest for knowledge and a bit of naivety in our shared hobby. MayorJim, I apologize if anyone was offended or if I caused false alarm to be raised.

("There", he thought, "I've gone and done it....ostracized myself from the drome in record time.") "Who will fly with Stachel?".....dead silence......

Oberst Hajj
11-28-2010, 18:48
The thread to the Gimbal video (http://www.wingsofwar.org/products/vids/gimble.wmv) has been updated, here it is for easy reference (http://www.wingsofwar.org/products/vids/gimble.wmv).

At the end of the video you can see the modified Nexus peg.

tonyc206
11-29-2010, 03:13
We need stands for the big bombers now Col.

The HP 0/X00 and Zepplin-Staaken will need a large base with thicker pegs like the balloon stands. That I use at the moment for my HP 0/400.

My Gotha G.IV is fine on the standard pegs but could do with a larger base.

Do you have any plans for these yet Keith?

Tony

Oberst Hajj
11-29-2010, 19:18
Tony, have a look at this thread (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1789)please.

rote Flügel
11-29-2010, 19:42
Having read through this thread it occurs to me I have seen the pegs used on the original WoW aircraft.. I just have CRS and am not sure where I have seen them before.. allow me to cogitate and see if I can kickstart the ol brain and remember where i spotted them..

Linz
03-22-2011, 12:24
Keith
Can you Please supply me the price of these bases and can you buy the Altitude pegs by themselves? US $ price is fine I can Convert it to Kiwi $
Linz

Oberst Hajj
03-22-2011, 13:04
Lindsay, all the info you need is right here (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/flight-stands.html). The site will also give you an estimated shipping cost if you place things in your shopping cart. The Scout stands are still out of stock, but the WWII Stuka stand would work just as well for a shipping quote.

I currently do not offer just the altitude pegs. It is something I am working on... though it's on the back burner due to the expenses of having molds made.

Keith

jbmacek
03-22-2011, 13:18
Keith, I registered at the Aerodrome Accessories site, and tried putting the stands on my wish list. It generated an error message. Is this because they are out of print, or is it due to some other reason?

Oberst Hajj
03-22-2011, 21:50
Nope, there is an issue on the site with the theme I am using... looking into it now!

Linz
03-23-2011, 01:44
Cheers Keith will check that out in near future

MayorJim
03-23-2011, 16:48
Nope, there is an issue on the site with the theme I am using... looking into it now!

Yep...same problem with me...I registered some time ago and never did receive any e-mail notifications when stuff was back in stock...

Rabbit 3
04-03-2011, 05:07
You know.
It wouldnt be all that hard to produce paper/card versions of the dials for use with the standard WoW aircraft stands that fit over the pegs.
They could even be customised for individual types.

Oberst Hajj
04-03-2011, 09:47
You might find it hard to move the dials around when you need to adjust them with out bumping the base around too much.

Ed2
04-03-2011, 12:06
Is there a firm in stock date for the flight stands yet?

Oberst Hajj
04-03-2011, 12:18
Ed, should be the end of the month. Bryan is cutting the flame/smoke and rulers this weekend and will be ordering the acrylic for stands next week.

gully_raker
04-03-2011, 22:49
Ed, should be the end of the month. Bryan is cutting the flame/smoke and rulers this weekend and will be ordering the acrylic for stands next week.

Thats great news Keith!

eslfox
04-04-2011, 17:03
As this is my first time here, on this fourm.(which i found after i googled W O W.)I am very impressed with this site,and as my first question.Do you have a update on when the flight stands will be ready for sale i would love to get my hands on some of those stands:)Also could a person place a order ahead of time,say 5 to 10 stands at a time,just a thought,thanks

Oberst Hajj
04-04-2011, 19:32
They will be back in stock around the end of the month. I've turned off back ordering in the store site until they have actually shipped to me.

Rabbit 3
04-07-2011, 03:02
On the subject of pegs, In my experience most model shops sell lengths of clear plastic rod in various diameters.
All you would have to do is by a couple, cut them to fit, drill out the ends, then glue in a bit wire or a cut down paperclip in one end to make the pegs.
Or if you must have clear pegs just use some thinner diameter rod.
One rod would probably do to make enough for three or four models and some of larger diameter might be useful for making special wider heavy duty pegs for models like the Skytrex Staaken or Gotha.

Rabbit 3
04-09-2011, 05:34
You know.
It wouldnt be all that hard to produce paper/card versions of the dials for use with the standard WoW aircraft stands that fit over the pegs.
They could even be customised for individual types.

You might find it hard to move the dials around when you need to adjust them with out bumping the base around too much.
Some experimentation with bits of card suggest that, provided the holes in the needle cards are large enough to allow a bit of play and the card is strong enough to take a bit of punishment then there is not all that great a problem.
Laminating the things before cutting them out might help as well!
I think I just might be on to something here, I`m thinking now more along the lines of creating dials based on original altimeters rather than just copy the dials on the aeroplane stands.
They should still be compatable though.
Just to give you a basic idea I`m thinking of basing them on these real instruments. 1129011291

rapier1642
04-09-2011, 09:56
Keith,

What are the chances of adding just the altitude rings to your product line?

Oberst Hajj
04-09-2011, 14:42
Those could be cool Robert.

I have thought about releasing just the dials, but that would require the large altitude ring to also be a dial. The whole reason I got rid of my Litko bases and made my own was because of that very thing. It was always spinning around and never even stayed close to what you had put it on. I still might consider making them after all of my other products and projects are up on the site.

Rabbit 3
04-10-2011, 06:34
Those could be cool Robert.

I have thought about releasing just the dials, but that would require the large altitude ring to also be a dial. The whole reason I got rid of my Litko bases and made my own was because of that very thing. It was always spinning around and never even stayed close to what you had put it on. I still might consider making them after all of my other products and projects are up on the site.
An adhesive paper outside dial maybe? Or a Decal?
Then you just have to make the two inner dials.
Sneaky thought, If you printed the decal backwards for application to the underside of the base that would mean that it wouldn`t interfere so much with the info printed on the top of the WoW stand.

(Further Update on the paper disc idea.) After some more intensive playtesting, I`ve concluded that the idea of multiple paper discs is just unworkable.
I have found however that a single paper disc with the altitude levels marked round the side, placed under the `0` peg actually works reasonably well to show the base flight level.
You just designate the number facing the forward marker as the reading, or use a felt tip or something to mark the zero point on the stand.

It can be turned quite freely with the fingers or by rotating the peg above it without being too fiddly, a slightly larger diameter disk the same width as the base should be easier to read in the Mk2 version.

(Further update)
I`ve had one of those `Eureka` moments!
If the main disc is mounted on the UNDERSIDE of the WoW base rather than on top then it can use the central bush as the main pivot.
It no longer interferes in any way with the flight pegs, rotates reasonably freely, can be seen and read through the transparent base while allowing the writing on top to still be visible and tends to remain firmly in place.
The only downside is that the base has to be lifted off the table in order to reset it!
It looks like the Mk II will consist of a bigger disc mounted on the underside to record altitude and a smaller one on top to show altitude counters to give compatibility with the Aeroplane Accessories stands.

pstapleton53
04-26-2012, 17:59
I am out of flight pegs, yet have more stands and minis. Since pegs are not available, does anyone know what size Litko posts will fit in the flight stands?

Thanks!

Rabbit 3
04-28-2012, 05:41
I am out of flight pegs, yet have more stands and minis. Since pegs are not available, does anyone know what size Litko posts will fit in the flight stands?

Thanks!
Unfortunately the answer to that is none of them since LITKO make them to a different diameter to the Nexus flight pegs.
You could try using pieces of transparent plastic rod from Plastruct or others of the right diameter, cut to size then drill out the end so a flight peg will fit.
Most model shops seem to have that sort of thing on sale quite cheaply.

Grey Knight
04-28-2012, 06:36
Very nice stands,good quality.as far as loose pegs,I got tired of picking up a plane and having the base fall off, so I put a drop of clear silicone on the peg. it keeps it in place but you can remove it if you need to

spin_doctor
06-07-2012, 05:02
This might sound like a retrograde step, but do you do any of the flight stands without the altimeter built in? I have an idea for altitude pegs, but I don't need the altimeter, and I don't want to hack at my OEM bases...

skystalker
06-07-2012, 06:25
If you want bases that don't have a built-in dial, I think you could use the Litko bases and just drill them out to fit the WOW/WOG pegs?

spin_doctor
06-07-2012, 06:55
Yeah, I saw them, and they are much cheaper (just over £1 each for a pack of 10!), but I like the etching on the AA versions better as the front line and back arrow look the same thickness as the ones on the cards, whereas the Litko ones are simply very fine scribed lines...

skystalker
06-07-2012, 08:36
Agree, as I have some of the Litko's for the F-Toys planes, and they are not as nice as the original WOW stands, but the AA were not out at the time.

Oberst Hajj
06-07-2012, 17:35
the front line and back arrow look the same thickness as the ones on the cards, whereas the Litko ones are simply very fine scribed lines...

One of the reasons I started making my own line of bases. How many of the custom bases do you need? In my next order I will be doing some other customs for a different member and could possibly fit yours on the same sheet.

spin_doctor
06-08-2012, 00:15
I'd probably want half a dozen scout bases, a couple of 2 seater bases and say a gotha and a 0/400 base, so 10 in all, two of them large (despite the fact I've only got the 4 RDS minis so far :slysmile:).

But it would all depend on pricing and carriage to the UK. It might be more cost effective to just get something made up in the UK...

Doug
06-08-2012, 01:04
I like your bases Kieth, but it is the pegs that are the problem as we are constantly changing altitude in our games (part of the fun of the game) Right now I am reduce to buying excess Areas models just for the pegs alone! (However not all the planes are unused I put them on Likto flight stand and put them in the display cabinet).

spin_doctor
06-08-2012, 05:58
I like your bases Kieth, but it is the pegs that are the problem as we are constantly changing altitude in our games (part of the fun of the game) Right now I am reduce to buying excess Areas models just for the pegs alone! (However not all the planes are unused I put them on Likto flight stand and put them in the display cabinet).

Let me know if there's any you don't want any more... :p

Oberst Hajj
06-08-2012, 06:35
I'd probably want half a dozen scout bases, a couple of 2 seater bases and say a gotha and a 0/400 base, so 10 in all, two of them large (despite the fact I've only got the 4 RDS minis so far :slysmile:).

But it would all depend on pricing and carriage to the UK. It might be more cost effective to just get something made up in the UK...

When I do custom bases with a normal order of mine, I can do them for the standard prices as listed on my site. It's when someone needs them right away that extra charges are incurred. So, you could add the normal bases to your shopping cart on the site and use the shipping quote function there to get what your total would be... all with out having to commit to anything.

I'm working on the peg problem, it's just a long process.

Doug
06-09-2012, 03:02
Let me know if there's any you don't want any more... :p

Doug I have only WW2 aircraft but if you are still intrested I will post a list.

spin_doctor
06-09-2012, 03:08
My mate got the WWII version at the same time so we could split delivery... I'll let him know!

Doug
06-09-2012, 03:22
I will sort them out tonight and post a list in the morning, remember it's just the plane and it's card.

Oberst Hajj
06-09-2012, 03:27
Glad you guys are helping each other out. Alastair, please post them in the For Sale/Trade section or PM them to him to keep this thread on topic. Thanks!

Doug
06-09-2012, 03:43
Will do Heer Oberst

celticgriffon
09-09-2012, 14:15
Hey Keith,

Now that the altitude rules are changing (from level 0 to 16 to level 1 - 17) will the altitude dial be adjusted moving forwards?

Cheers,
Michael

tuladin
09-09-2012, 18:14
Hey Keith,

Now that the altitude rules are changing (from level 0 to 16 to level 1 - 17) will the altitude dial be adjusted moving forwards?

Cheers,
Michael

We still need level 0 for planes on the ground. With the regular bases you represent grounded aircraft by putting it on the base with no peg, but you can't take the last peg out of the dialed bases, so we'll need that 0.

Oberst Hajj
09-09-2012, 21:16
I'm still deciding what to do about the move to 1-17. I already have a good amount of stock showing the 0-16, so nothing is going to happen any time soon. Fitting another number in the ring will make things a little tight and/or the numbers much smaller. The best option might be to leave things as they are. As mentioned, we do need level 0 for planes on the ground (because at level 1 you are flying) and there are only two planes that can even reach level 17. So, the likely hood of actually needing level 17 is pretty slim. In those rare cases, I think it would be easy to just move the dials to 0/0 to indicate it is at level 17 (everyone will know it's not actually at level 0).

Thoughts??

celticgriffon
09-09-2012, 22:53
Col. Hajj I would leave the bases as they are then. Both of your suggestions would be easy to implement. Actually I would be way more in favour of making the altitude bands smaller.

In the burning Drachens booklet the top altitude of the lowest flying planes (i.e. the Halberstadt D.III, LEG Roland CII, and the Nieuport 11) is 10. The highest altitude of the highest flying planes (i.e. the Sopwith Snipe, Hanriot HDI, Spad XIII, Fokker DVII) is at level 14.

Dropping every planes top altitude by even 5 spaces would likely give the same desired effects and increase the chances of "fighting/action" in most games. So if we were to do this the lowest altitude planes would have a ceiling of 5 and the highest a ceiling of 9. Same respective ratios and way more action imo. And less likely for the huge stacks of pegs to start swaying as well.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Michael

Flying Officer Kyte
09-09-2012, 23:45
As I have invested in over 150 of the Oberst's bases to date, I would not welcome the change to a new system.
How many of us actually fly aircraft at max altitude? I have never personally seen it done.
Most gamers seem to fly within two or three levels. I have sometimes flown at five or six pegs, and eight for my Giant Bombers. Any higher than that and you spend all the game climbing to get into action, unless you start off higher and drop down onto your foe.
I would be interested to hear from any pilots who find the upper limits of use, and the reasons that they use them.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
09-10-2012, 00:41
Wow, have you ordered that many bases Rob? In the hundreds of games I've played, I've never seen anyone max out altitude. Typically is someone is trying to escape by climbing, it's done by the climb rate of the planes in question and not actual max altitude. If you have a faster climb rate, all you have to do is give above them and it's game over. If you have a slower climb rate, you should diving instead! lol

Flying Officer Kyte
09-10-2012, 02:10
Wow, have you ordered that many bases Rob? In the hundreds of games I've played, I've never seen anyone max out altitude. Typically is someone is trying to escape by climbing, it's done by the climb rate of the planes in question and not actual max altitude. If you have a faster climb rate, all you have to do is give above them and it's game over. If you have a slower climb rate, you should diving instead! lol

Yes Guv.
It actually suprised me when I thought about it. But I have a base for every one of my aircraft, plus bombers, and spare stock to do the re issues, the next series of fighters and the two seaters after that lot. So even if you do change the numbering system, I should be O.K. for a couple of years, except for any repaints, but I will address that problem with my next order.
Got to keep the supply base in funds to help finance your new lines.:lol:
Rob.

Carl_Brisgamer
09-10-2012, 03:10
I'm still deciding what to do about the move to 1-17. I already have a good amount of stock showing the 0-16, so nothing is going to happen any time soon. Fitting another number in the ring will make things a little tight and/or the numbers much smaller. The best option might be to leave things as they are. As mentioned, we do need level 0 for planes on the ground (because at level 1 you are flying) and there are only two planes that can even reach level 17. So, the likely hood of actually needing level 17 is pretty slim. In those rare cases, I think it would be easy to just move the dials to 0/0 to indicate it is at level 17 (everyone will know it's not actually at level 0).

Thoughts??

Stick with 16 Keith, on those very few occasions this may come into play I'm sure the players involved will cope!

Cheers,

Carl.

NZgunner
03-13-2013, 23:52
Any idea when the two seater stands might be back in stock - and the altitude pegs?

BTW, I was thinking of making the very same suggestion as this one from a couple of years ago - ie sell the two dials and a decal/transparent sticker for 0-16 so that the stock bases could be modified to use this well designed altitude system. I like the stock bases as they have the basic plane info on them - actually, has anyone made themselves transparent labels with aircraft info to stick on the AA (or Litko) bases?

An adhesive paper outside dial maybe? Or a Decal?
Then you just have to make the two inner dials.
Sneaky thought, If you printed the decal backwards for application to the underside of the base that would mean that it wouldn`t interfere so much with the info printed on the top of the WoW stand.

Lt. S.Kafloc
03-14-2013, 00:41
I was thinking of the film Top Gun, when they are at Mirramar (spelling probably wrong) for each flight they have a top ceiling and lower hard deck. I agree that most combats would take place within about 1-2000' of each other. Some planes took a short time to get to an optimum height but to get to their actual ceiling would take another 30-40 minutes. So the system as stands is good for that, however if the larger dial decal was made in 50m increments (I know this would be 20 steps) then the smaller could be used for 1,000's of metres instead of feet. That would cover the min/max height in metres and an increment step of 50m per climb. This would also give you an accurate rate of climb and dive. It is going to be hard to convert a game in its second life by a radical change in bases design. That said I have all my planes with their original bases, I have converted 10 litko bases with litko altitude discs as I rarely have more than 10 planes on the table at once.
From a club point of view you then need to convince your club members to adopt the same system, then their is the problem of inter-club, show tournaments etc. The changes would be drastically radical to an already established game. I would say, leave as is and come up with a workable dive rate to compliment the climb rate for the WoG/WoW bases and altitude discs already available.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-14-2013, 02:06
Any idea when the two seater stands might be back in stock - and the altitude pegs?

BTW, I was thinking of making the very same suggestion as this one from a couple of years ago - ie sell the two dials and a decal/transparent sticker for 0-16 so that the stock bases could be modified to use this well designed altitude system. I like the stock bases as they have the basic plane info on them - actually, has anyone made themselves transparent labels with aircraft info to stick on the AA (or Litko) bases?

I have fitted all my existing bases under the Oberst's ones. This not only gives the information panel but a much heavier more stable base for the aircraft, especially when using more pegs for added height to atack bombers.
I also use the Oberst's bases for non official planes, and print out the info on OHP. sheets which I sandwich between the Oberst's stand and a 4mm piece of acrylic. You can see some of these in the files section, although they may not all be correct, as they were done long before th stats committee was formed. I must update them and add some new ones when I get the time.
Hope this helps. For examples look at the pictures in any of my AARs.
Rob.

NZgunner
03-14-2013, 02:47
I have fitted all my existing bases under the Oberst's ones. This not only gives the information panel but a much heavier more stable base for the aircraft, especially when using more pegs for added height to atack bombers.
I also use the Oberst's bases for non official planes, and print out the info on OHP. sheets which I sandwich between the Oberst's stand and a 4mm piece of acrylic. You can see some of these in the files section, although they may not all be correct, as they were done long before th stats committee was formed. I must update them and add some new ones when I get the time.
Hope this helps. For examples look at the pictures in any of my AARs.
Rob.

Thanks Rob, I hadn't thought of that, and the pictures in your AARs are making me green with envy - you must've spent a small fortune on this game!!!

Oberst Hajj
03-14-2013, 13:48
The two-seater stands should be back instock next week. The pegs are currently out of print and I don't now when or if I'll be getting any more.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-25-2014, 04:48
Any information on when you will be ready to embark upon WW2 Special orders for bases yet Herr Oberst?
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
03-25-2014, 05:05
Soon, very soon. With a easy to use web based tool for you guys to submit the layouts.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-25-2014, 07:04
Thank you sir.
Rob.

Dowters
04-17-2014, 07:49
:embarrass: Just a post to thank Aerodrome for my bases and solo template that just arrived, excellent kit. (Small confession, when they arrived, I took them out of the package and thought....what? They're made of wood!!!!!! Until I took the protective covering off....... Oh well no wonder I'm only allowed a plastic knife and fork!)
Thanks again

Oberst Hajj
04-17-2014, 07:58
Glad they made the transatlantic flight safely Nigel. And don't worry about the confusion on the paper mask on them, you are not the first!

Ed2
04-17-2014, 10:07
:embarrass: Just a post to thank Aerodrome for my bases and solo template that just arrived, excellent kit. (Small confession, when they arrived, I took them out of the package and thought....what? They're made of wood!!!!!! Until I took the protective covering off....... Oh well no wonder I'm only allowed a plastic knife and fork!)
Thanks again

What, they let you have a plastic knife and fork? They only gave me a wooden spoon.:pint:

Roland19
03-06-2016, 14:51
I just received my first order if these bases recently. I have found that the altitude and climb counter dials spin too freely on the peg and are easily jarred out of position. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what are some solutions? I would like to get more of these but not if this isn't solved. Thanks!

Oberst Hajj
03-06-2016, 18:53
I just received my first order if these bases recently. I have found that the altitude and climb counter dials spin too freely on the peg and are easily jarred out of position. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what are some solutions? I would like to get more of these but not if this isn't solved. Thanks!

Hi Joe,

Do you have the peg pushed all the way up in the base? If not, the taper to the peg will make them spin to easily. I actually have the opposite problem most of the time, to hard to spin them. But with the pegs not being 100% the same from peg to peg and it depending how far the peg is pushed up into the base, it's almost impossible to get them exactly right when I make them.

milcoll73
03-06-2016, 23:53

you could get a small o ring to hold the indicator needle down to create some more resistence

Roland19
03-07-2016, 04:18
Keith - Thanks I will check them and give that a try. I really like the bases and they make the altitude rules a bit easier to track! Thanks again.

Roland19
03-07-2016, 04:32
you could get a small o ring to hold the indicator needle down to create some more resistence

Thanks Phillip - that's a good idea if fiddling with the pegs doesn't do it!

brdavis
03-07-2016, 15:42

I used a tiny dab of the altitude glue inside the black climb counter dial and that works pretty well. I'll have to try pushing the peg into the base a little further as that solution would be better.

Roland19
03-07-2016, 16:52
I used a tiny dab of the altitude glue inside the black climb counter dial and that works pretty well. I'll have to try pushing the peg into the base a little further as that solution would be better.

I just ordered some of the altitude glue so I'll have to give that a try too!

surfimp
02-21-2017, 13:08

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I tried this solution and it did increase the resistance on the dials slightly, as well as helped to keep the dials on the pegs when the plane and other pegs were removed (i.e. for storage or transport).

I got 1/8" from the plumbing supply section of my local hardware store, and they worked great.

Hoogs
09-18-2017, 15:02
I've recently purchased some altitude dials from ebay made by Litko. Unfortunately they're missing the white climb counter dial. Where can I purchase the climb counter dials? They really help clean up the plane console.

brdavis
09-18-2017, 16:09
The flight stands I think you are referring to are sold at aerodromeaccessories.com
(http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/flight-stands/ww.html)

Hoogs
09-19-2017, 12:56
The flight stands I think you are referring to are sold at aerodromeaccessories.com
(http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/flight-stands/ww.html)

Ive seen them. I just want the climb counter. Don't really need/ want the whole stand.

badlands122
11-22-2017, 08:54
I'm Calling on the Powers that be for recommending flight stands for a balloon?? I have a Shapeway Balloon and before I go cutting, slicing, dicing and gluing on it, I would like some professional help on this one....Which one would y'all recommend for it??

Thanks

brdavis
11-22-2017, 09:16
I'm Calling on the Powers that be for recommending flight stands for a balloon?? I have a Shapeway Balloon and before I go cutting, slicing, dicing and gluing on it, I would like some professional help on this one....Which one would y'all recommend for it??

Thanks

aerodromeaccessories.com sells a nice one, but it is marked as out-of-stock right now. The site seems to be having some issues right now (every link redirects to the main page for me) but I was able to find it by doing a search for 'balloon' from the main page.

OldGuy59
11-22-2017, 09:20
Yeah, The site seems busted. It will get up soon. I have some stands I need, too.

Stumptonian
11-22-2017, 11:12
I tried looking for miniatures today and every click just cycled me back to the main page.
Even tried the Sails link - same thing.
It was working fine a couple of days ago.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-22-2017, 12:40
It is indeed still doing that, although I can access my account page.
It was all working yesterday when I ordered some bases.
Rob.

matt56
11-22-2017, 12:53
Once things are up and running again (I did manage to order a LL coin and some decals the other day...), I need to order some bases, too. A couple more balloon bases are in order, as well as a couple of Felixstowe bases...

I hope Keith is able to break free some time to cobble those sorts of things together - I really do like his bases a lot:sAprvd:

All the best,
Matt

Oberst Hajj
11-22-2017, 18:32
Okay, I've sorted that problem out and it should be working for everyone now.

As to the bases that are out of stock, I'll try and get more of those cut in the next week.

matt56
11-22-2017, 19:10
Thanks, Keith! You've sure had your hands full lately with the Forum and its foibles...:p

Hope you can have so down time tomorrow with the family as the holidays kick into gear.

All the best,
Matt

badlands122
11-23-2017, 09:19
aerodromeaccessories.com sells a nice one, but it is marked as out-of-stock right now. The site seems to be having some issues right now (every link redirects to the main page for me) but I was able to find it by doing a search for 'balloon' from the main page.

Thank You Sir,, I will look into it.

Oberst Hajj
11-28-2017, 19:07
I've restocked some of the flight stands and spinning props on the AA store.

Stumptonian
11-28-2017, 22:17

Got some stands ordered today for my 2 Shapeways Fe.2b and the 3 BE.2c that I ordered from the Shapeways sale yesterday.
Took me several tries to get it through. My cart kept emptying. :sick:
I was glad it was only two items from the same page of the site.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-29-2017, 01:33
Thanks for the Heads Up Keith.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
11-29-2017, 03:21
Got some stands ordered today for my 2 Shapeways Fe.2b and the 3 BE.2c that I ordered from the Shapeways sale yesterday.
Took me several tries to get it through. My cart kept emptying. :sick:
I was glad it was only two items from the same page of the site.

Make sure you are signed in to your account before proceeding to the Checkout page. The new security certs on the site seem to get confused if you try to go to a secure page before logging in. Logging in makes all of the pages on the site secure.

Stumptonian
11-29-2017, 06:21
Thanks, Keith. That must have been it.
I used to be able to log in at the end.
Once I did I was good to go.

Caveman
09-02-2019, 12:44
Does anyone have the firing arcs to enter in to the custom flight stand generator for a B-24?

Guntruck
09-02-2019, 13:03
The problem with the stand generator is that it cannot generate 360 turret arcs. Don’t know if you can produce your own SVG files (Illustrator or suchlike) so you can put your own arcs in and send that to Keith. Failing that, have a word with him and see if he can add the arcs at his end

Fix
09-10-2019, 05:05
Are they going to be restocked? I could use about 10 basic stands cause I ordered several shapeway models

Flying Officer Kyte
09-10-2019, 12:04
Flight stands are certainly in stock Felix.
No spinning props at present as far as I can see.
Rob.

Fix
09-10-2019, 23:52
Flight stands are certainly in stock Felix.
No spinning props at present as far as I can see.
Rob.
Well, in the store there are three options: Gotha GV or Caproni CA3 (larger bases because bombers, I assume) and "Rear gunner only"... I'm not sure if those qualify as "basic stands". I don't know how these bases look, so I can't tell if they are the basic fighter stands, but I don't think so.
I didn't try to put the spinning props in a cart yet but as far as I can tell, there are two-, three- and four-bladed props available, in two sizes each.
Do we have unequal informations or am I missing something? :confused:

flash
09-11-2019, 01:02
Contact Herr Oberst via the store page Felix - he should be able to update you direct.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-11-2019, 03:12
Flight stands are here Felix.

https://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/category/flight-stands

And I missed the props because I went direct to All products and they don't feature there. They are on the front page with the pictures.

Rob

Oberst Hajj
09-11-2019, 03:47
Well, in the store there are three options: Gotha GV or Caproni CA3 (larger bases because bombers, I assume) and "Rear gunner only"... I'm not sure if those qualify as "basic stands". I don't know how these bases look, so I can't tell if they are the basic fighter stands, but I don't think so.
I didn't try to put the spinning props in a cart yet but as far as I can tell, there are two-, three- and four-bladed props available, in two sizes each.
Do we have unequal informations or am I missing something? :confused:

I just restocked the basic flight stands Felix, so have a look now for those. The spinning props are ad various stages of stock levels right now, which ones were you looking for?

Fix
09-11-2019, 06:29
I just restocked the basic flight stands Felix, so have a look now for those. The spinning props are ad various stages of stock levels right now, which ones were you looking for?That's nice! At first, I only meant to order the basic fighter stands and didn't thought about the props, but the shapeways don't have those, so I would order them as well. I have to calculate when I come home from work. At most, I need 60 (because maybe for the original minis as well) in total for both wars, so the props will be all over the place, 2,3 and 4s... I want to place an order today or tommorrow, shall I wait till your response for the props?

Boney10
09-11-2019, 08:24
Is there any Friedrichshafen G3 bases available ?

camelbeagle
09-11-2019, 08:30
I just restocked the basic flight stands Felix, so have a look now for those. The spinning props are ad various stages of stock levels right now, which ones were you looking for?

Keith,

What angles did you use to create the two seaters. DH4 and Breguet in particular. I am interested in ordering a couple custom to do a couple of Salmson 2. I have no idea what to use for the firing arcs.

Thanks!

Fix
09-11-2019, 10:05
2 Blades 19mm & 3 Blades 14mm, one each (bag of 10)

Oberst Hajj
09-11-2019, 15:57
2 Blades 19mm & 3 Blades 14mm, one each (bag of 10)

I have those in stock now.

Keith,

What angles did you use to create the two seaters. DH4 and Breguet in particular. I am interested in ordering a couple custom to do a couple of Salmson 2. I have no idea what to use for the firing arcs.

Thanks!

I honestly don't recall. I made them to match the cards/official flight stands. Maybe print out a protractor and check them (I'm on my phone and don't have a printer to use right now)?

Is there any Friedrichshafen G3 bases available ?

Check the site on Friday.

Boney10
09-12-2019, 06:17
:thumbsup: Spot on, thanks Herr Oberst

Fix
09-26-2019, 13:05
Got my package today, gosh, the stands look amazing!!!!

But there is the problem with the pegs which I didn't realized until now... well, there was no toher option than these stands, let's see if I find a solution.

Gosh, Ares really NEEEEEEEDS to reprint the pegs...

Future Pilot
09-26-2019, 14:29
Yeah they do!:hmm:

Flying Officer Kyte
11-05-2019, 03:35
Just tried to purchase some single seater flight stands and the only option it will give me is two seaters!
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
11-07-2019, 03:53
Just tried to purchase some single seater flight stands and the only option it will give me is two seaters!
Rob.

I just restocked them Rob, so you should be able to order them on the site now.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-07-2019, 06:47
Thanks Herr Oberst.
Rob.

camelbeagle
11-07-2019, 08:07
Awesome! Been wanting some myself. Any news on pegs by ares or anybody else? I need some extras pretty badly! :p

Flying Officer Kyte
01-17-2020, 14:38
Hi Keith.
Are you intending to produce flight stands for the new German Bombers?
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
01-17-2020, 15:14
Hi Keith.
Rob.

Yes, once I have them in hand to make an "official" copy from them.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-18-2020, 08:35
Great Keith.
I will now place my order for the four aircraft plus bases. They can all then be sent as one order.
Rob.

ShadowDragon
01-18-2020, 09:29
Hi Keith.
Rob.

You had me there for a bit, Rob. I'm thinking, "What new German Bombers?" Checks the Aerodrome store for new WWI bombers. Nothing. Then, doh! WWII bombers! The look good.

Fix
09-07-2020, 02:22
Hey! I've noticed that there are none basic flight stands and just one two-seater flight stand available. I would love to buy some of these, I would need 16 normal and 2 two-seaters (I suppose they have an rear arc, too? Can someone provide me a photo of them?)
Any chance when they're in stock again? I hope it's when they're still around 9x10 gimbal mounts available^^

Oberst Hajj
09-08-2020, 04:35
I am going to try and get some cut this week and back on the site.

camelbeagle
09-08-2020, 07:37
Awesome!

Fix
09-09-2020, 23:36
This is the best news of the week so far :)

Mike Wyant
09-10-2020, 10:19
I had some arrive today, and though I did manage to snap one in two trying to force a peg in, I really like them!
I plan to order some more!

Mike Wyant
09-10-2020, 10:21
Superglue does wonders for repair! Though the base is a little cloudy now

Flying Officer Kyte
09-10-2020, 12:27
Sometimes they just need the burr around the hole kissing with a needle file Mike.
That usually stops the bases cracking. I have found that the tolerance on different batches of pegs vary a bit.
Rob.

Von Scharf
09-10-2020, 15:13
I cracked 2 of my first 3 before I realized to bore out the hole ever so slightly with a round file. X-Acto knife can also do the trick, but not as cleanly. If you leave the sticky paper on the stands, you can easily paint the stand's lines black and red too. If it bleeds a bit, clean it up with your finger nail. I really like the look of the painted lines.

And the other benefit of Keith's awesome flight stands is they are easier to move about the playing mat. They are heavier than stock and have square edges that you can grip more easily when maneuvering. Far superior to stock stands.

camelbeagle
09-10-2020, 16:52
The old wings of war pegs fit good. The new wings of glory are too tight. I actually broke one of mine in half. You need to file out the hole a bit to get them to fit right.

They are awesome stands. Got the plane stats on them. If you paint them up they really pop! A lot easier to use.

Oberst Hajj
09-10-2020, 20:11
If the peg does not want to go all the way into the base, do not force it as they can break. The pegs very quite a bit in size, so sort through your stash of pegs until you find ones that fit. It might take a bit of searching, but once you have one that fits, it will stay in the base so you don't have to keep doing that.

If you can't find one that fits just right, you can file the bottom of the peg (where you snipped the pin off) down some. That will allow it to go further into the base. You can also open the hole up on the base with a file, but that might not be too easy if you don't have a round file.

Von Scharf
09-11-2020, 07:40
If the peg does not want to go all the way into the base, do not force it as they can break. The pegs very quite a bit in size, so sort through your stash of pegs until you find ones that fit. It might take a bit of searching, but once you have one that fits, it will stay in the base so you don't have to keep doing that.

If you can't find one that fits just right, you can file the bottom of the peg (where you snipped the pin off) down some. That will allow it to go further into the base. You can also open the hole up on the base with a file, but that might not be too easy if you don't have a round file.

Some of us learn best through brute force. Here... hold my beer while I jam this peg in with all my might.
I'm also rather oaf-ish, so trying to use the stock stands makes me angry as I knock my planes about.

I'm kinda like Shrek, but I pick my nose a bit less. Thanks for the great stands.

camelbeagle
09-11-2020, 08:27
Brute force comes before finesse. Learning opportunities!

Oberst Hajj
09-14-2020, 03:52
Scout and two seater flight stands have been restocked alone with gimbal mounts.

camelbeagle
09-14-2020, 05:20
Awesome!

camelbeagle
09-14-2020, 05:56
Thanks! Just place an order. Can you make up more Spad VII and Sopwith Triplane B Gun. Need a few more and your inventory said you didn't have that many.

Thanks!!!!!!

malachi
09-14-2020, 06:20
I bought a cheap modeling kerf saw with aluminum mitre box and have used it way more than I thought I would. It's great for cleanly and easily sawing off pegs for gimbal mounts, AA bases, etc.

Fix
09-14-2020, 08:02
Hmm, I wanted to place an order but it says that there is just one normal flight stand available... I need 17^^

camelbeagle
09-14-2020, 10:11
Wow, those went fast!!!!! Looks like he is going to be busy making more! They are pretty awesome!

mandrews
09-14-2020, 15:10
Thanks! Just place an order. Can you make up more Spad VII and Sopwith Triplane B Gun. Need a few more and your inventory said you didn't have that many.

Thanks!!!!!!

Seconded on the Triplane B Gun. Looks like you're also out of the Fokker D.VII

mandrews
09-14-2020, 15:19
If you leave the sticky paper on the stands, you can easily paint the stand's lines black and red too. If it bleeds a bit, clean it up with your finger nail. I really like the look of the painted lines.

I agree. I hit my first stands with black for everything except the stats. Now I wish I'd hit the stats area too. At least, I know better for next time.

MadMad17
09-15-2020, 16:50
The old wings of war pegs fit good. The new wings of glory are too tight. I actually broke one of mine in half. You need to file out the hole a bit to get them to fit right.

They are awesome stands. Got the plane stats on them. If you paint them up they really pop! A lot easier to use.

Anyone care to share pics of painted bases? Would love to see them!

camelbeagle
09-15-2020, 20:08

Here are a couple of mine. You can use any colors you want. I went with the basics.
First is the basic scout base

Here is one of the ACE flight stands for a Nieuport 17.

mandrews
09-15-2020, 20:47

Here's one of mine. The black was spray painted. I pulled the paper off before painting the stats, so I'm trying a tip Kevin posted about using crayon. It's better than nothing; but I wish I had painted them (even in black).

camel crew
09-16-2020, 04:39
memo to self - "do not look at this thread again" those stands look brilliant 40+ various stands = more ££s, but they look so good:(

mandrews
09-16-2020, 14:18
memo to self - "do not look at this thread again" those stands look brilliant 40+ various stands = more ££s, but they look so good:(

Agreed, and mine looks even better now. I didn't notice until I looked at my picture that some of the backing was still there in the number centers (e.g. 8,9, and the '0' in 10).

Fix
10-02-2020, 00:41
The suspense is killing me, looking at the store at least twice a day^^

Captain Knowitall
03-04-2021, 19:04
I am having problems getting the custom base program to work. I am trying to design a custom Large Bomber base and it won't add in any additional arcs. I put the info in but nothing shows up. Even making modifications to existing arcs won't change. What's the problem?
I need to design several custom bases for several different airplanes.