PDA

View Full Version : Hangar Tray Update

Oberst Hajj
12-01-2013, 08:24
The first thing I would like to do with this update is to thank each and everyone of you that pre-ordered the Hangar Trays is past summer. I know the delay has been very long and your patience is truly appreciated!

I'm still amazed at how hard it can be to find a company that is wants and is willing to product products. I can only imagine how things must be for companies like Ares. They have at least a small staff to try and keep projects on track, and they still have lengthy delays. As a one man shop, it's even harder for me. That being said, I've not wasted the time that has gone by.

First, to help regulate any delays in the future, I have purchased my own laser. I don't know how much any of you know about lasers, but it is a big investment in the 10s of thousands of dollars. Having my own laser will insure that I can produce the Hangar Trays in house if the production company should have issues. Having my own laser will also allow me to offer the custom Hangar Trays again. These custom trays will give you the option of picking which types of planes you want to go in them. You will no longer be stuck with the layouts that I normally stock.

Secondly, with the long delay many of you have had, I wanted to give you guys something better than my old style trays. To that end, I've spent a lot of time searching for and researching different foam types to use. I've narrowed it down to two main types of foams. These foams are not being used by any of the other miniatures storage companies. These are a higher quality and denser types of foam and will allow for some very unique and useful options to the trays.

The old style foam (and the foam used by "the other guys") looks like this:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116918&d=1385916864

As you can see, with just a little pressure you can easily compress the foam. This type of foam gives good protection to your minis from bouncing around in the cutouts, but offers little protection to the top layers of minis if something, or someone, should fall on top of them.

One of the new types of foam I'm testing is shown below. As you will see in this photo, the same pressure applied to it hardly makes a dent in the foam at all.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116919&d=1385916864

This is the same type of foam, only denser than the one above.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116920&d=1385916865

This new type of foam has a much smaller "bubble structure" and gives it great strength. These new style trays should not bend with you load them full of planes and pick them up from one end. It also has a much smoother surface, so some of the pointy bits of your minis will be a lot less likely to get stuck in the foam. The other type (see the next 4 photos below) I'm testing has a larger bubble structure, but is chemically completely different. It has a very nice looking textured surface and will offer great protection in every direction. With both of these new foam types, I'll be able to offer some visual combinations...

Entente and Allied trays:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116922&d=1385916866

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116921&d=1385916865

Central Powers and Axis trays:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116856&d=1384639415

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116855&d=1384639414

Having different colors for the base layer will allow us to quickly identify which side's planes are in which trays. Just open up your bag and you can instantly see which trays hold your German planes for example.

The base layer is also of a even more dense foam, again adding to the protection and durability of the trays.

One final option I'm looking into is the plastic base layer:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116923&d=1385919481

As you can see, this plastic can be laser engraved to add labels to the trays. The big advantage though, besides even greater protection, is how thin the base layer can be. On the old and new all foam trays, the base layer needs to be .25 inches thick. The plastic base layer only has to be .125 inches thick. That means for every 8 of the old style trays, you could actually fit 9 of the plastic/foam style trays. More trays in the same bag is always better. I still have to find out what colors the plastic comes in and what the price is going to be.

With any of the new foam types I"m looking at, there is another benefit that I'm excited to tell you guys about. And that is that not only can the cavities be cut out with the laser. but I can actually engrave on them too!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116858&d=1384639417

That photo does not really do it justice, but the word Plane is engraved right into the foam. It is a very clean engraving and would allow me the option to engrave the name of the plane next to each cavity, or even which types of planes are in that tray. With that last option, you could open your bag and the sides of the trays would tell you which planes were in each one! I can only do this on the long side of the trays as the laser I'm getting is not deep enough to engrave on the short end of the trays (they are 13 inches long that way).

That's a lot of information, so what does it really mean for the Hangar Trays and your pre-order? In short it means that the trays will most likely go up a little in price to offset the higher quality and that there is still going to be some type before they are produced and ready to ship to you. The good news is that everyone that has already placed a pre-order will be getting the nicer trays in place of the old style at no additional charge. It's just my little way of proving that "good things come to those who wait", as the saying goes.

About that waiting... I should have quotes from the production company (I'm on my 4th one since all this started by the way) sometime this coming week. As long as everything checks out, trays will go into production as soon as they have room in their production line for them. Also, my laser will not be delivered until the 30th of this month as well. This means we are realistically looking at January or early February for the trays to start shipping out to you guys.

It has been a long wait and I hope each of you will think it has been worth it. If anyone has any questions or comments, please post them here or feel free to email me directly at colhajj AT wingsofwar.org

Thanks again to everyone!

7eat51
12-01-2013, 11:27
This is exciting news.

I like the idea of custom trays.

Very cool, Keith. :thumbsup:

Toothless9
12-01-2013, 11:36
Wow, those are nice. good to know you that you are always trying to produce a better product. Most of us have a huge investment in our planes and great protection is what we seek. This type of foam might make my Army Transport bag useful again. With the current foam available, that bag is no better than a brown paper bag! Too bad your original hangar bag is no longer available, that was the best. I'll probably end up replacing all the previous version of your trays for the new ones. Don't get me wrong, the old trays were great but I like your new concepts better!

Ed2
12-01-2013, 13:02
I like the idea of putting an extra tray per bag. Less room clutter for me.

Diamondback
12-01-2013, 18:41
Very nice! Off-topic, but might you be open to cutting other things with your new toy too? :)

john snelling
12-01-2013, 21:33
This is really good news. Now I can order any tray I want.

Oberst Hajj
12-02-2013, 02:56
Very nice! Off-topic, but might you be open to cutting other things with your new toy too? :)

I'll be open to quite a few new things ;) My first priority though is getting these pre-ordered trays out to everyone and then getting my normal production items sorted. I don't expect it to be much, but there is going to be a learning curve using this thing.

Jager
12-03-2013, 01:59
Interesting update. Another layer per bag is a welcome thing indeed.
Having the trays marked as to their contents it an excellent idea. There were times I was puzzled as to which planes went into which trays when they arrived.
Looking bright for the future. :cool:
Karl

predhead
12-03-2013, 04:26
I am QUITE pleased (and looking forward to my hanger tray). I am also quite pleased to know I can order custom trays again, as I have a lot of aircraft looking for a hanger!

Thanks, Oberst!

Oberst Hajj
12-03-2013, 06:02
Thanks Karl and Darryl.

Archidamus
12-03-2013, 08:36
:thumbsup: Great news Keith. Once you're sorted I shall order some custom trays methinks :) - as well as ordering series 7 of course :minis:

Misdomingo
12-08-2013, 08:45
This is indeed excellent news. I can see more hangar trays in my future. What bags will be compatible with the new trays or is that customizable also?

Oberst Hajj
12-31-2013, 06:29
Another update.

I my laser showed up on the 20th and I spent a little over a week setting up my exhaust system and sealing off the leaks. It appears I've got that all sorted out now. Last night my prototype foam sample showed up, so this weekend I'll be spending time getting the settings for cutting and engraving this new foam dialed in. Once I'm certain that it will cut the way I want, I'll place the bulk order for the two foams.

And here are the two foams I've decided to go with:

Top foam that the planes (and ships) will sit down in:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116919&d=1385916864

Bottom foam will be the red one in this photo (I will also offer it in blue). I do have some concerns that the PSA might not adhere to it well enough though. If that turns out to be the case, I will use the black foam shown in this same photo (but it will be red or blue still).

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116855&d=1384639414

Barring any issues, I expect to start cutting production trays the 1st or 2nd week in Feb.

fast.git
12-31-2013, 06:43
Barring any issues, I expect to start cutting production trays the 1st or 2nd week in Feb.

Outstanding news! :clap:

Archidamus
12-31-2013, 13:25
Great news indeed Keith - I must tot up all the planes in my collection ready to order some custom trays :D

fast.git
12-31-2013, 16:16
Great news indeed Keith - I must tot up all the planes in my collection ready to order some custom trays :D

I'll have to do the same... Scary thought, though... since the WGS bloat that's taken place. :erk:

predhead
12-31-2013, 16:55
Excellent...can't wait to see the ground crew hanger, then order some custom hangers for my planes!

OldGuy59
12-31-2013, 18:22
Another update.

Hmmmm...

GottaCon at the end of February, and I plan on hosting a few games. My temp storage doesn't travel nearly well enough, as I found out at BottosCon in November.

Any chance of trays being shipped before the middle of Feb?

And I plan to go to Enfilade 2014 near the end of May, so perhaps that will be the first test of the new transport system.

Mike:)

Oberst Hajj
12-31-2013, 18:33
Hmmmm...

I'll get them out as soon as I can, but I think that will be the earliest.

Oberst Hajj
12-31-2013, 18:52
Just some quick photos for you guys...

Old style tray "supporting" a cordless drill:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118404&d=1388544518

New style top foam (no bottom foam!) supporting that same drill:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118403&d=1388544517

As you can see, the new foam is much denser, but it's actually smoother in feel than the old style.

fast.git
12-31-2013, 19:09
Very cool! :thumbsup:

Ed2
12-31-2013, 21:01
Very impressive. I hope your SOG trays will be made out of the same material.

Oberst Hajj
01-01-2014, 05:00
Very impressive. I hope your SOG trays will be made out of the same material.

They will be. Guess I should post those images over on the Anchorage thread as well for those that don't sprout wings from time to time.

john snelling
01-01-2014, 09:11
Thanks for the update.

Jager
01-01-2014, 09:21

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118404&d=1388544518

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118403&d=1388544517

As you can see, the new foam is much denser, but it's actually smoother in feel than the old style.

You do realize that you've just rendered my entire inventory of trays obsolete! :erk:
Can't wait until the new issue comes out, esp since I have a number on backorder :thumbsup:
Karl

Ed2
01-01-2014, 09:25
These new trays look like the way to go to make sure the SGN sails are protected.

Oberst Hajj
01-01-2014, 10:37
You do realize that you've just rendered my entire inventory of trays obsolete! :erk:
Can't wait until the new issue comes out, esp since I have a number on backorder :thumbsup:
Karl

Yeah, mine too :( At least I get an employee discount though. lol

These new trays look like the way to go to make sure the SGN sails are protected.

Yep, sails, rigging and ratlines should all be safe and sound.

Toothless9
01-11-2014, 13:39
Are the trays going to be the same size as the older ones and can you tell me the size of the older ones.

Oberst Hajj
01-11-2014, 13:45
Yes, same size except for some special custom orders from time to time. The size is 7.5x13, 1, 1.5 or 3 inches thick depending on what the try is holding.

Oberst Hajj
01-13-2014, 08:45
I've been able to do some testing, but the foam company only sent me one sample piece of foam to work with :dazed: I did manage to work out the laser setting for the foam, but the PSA backing is giving me some issues. I've ordered more foam (30 pieces this time) and as soon as that comes in I'll get back to work on these. I don't foresee it taking more than a day of testing to sort out the PSA cutting issues. I'll try and get some photos upload to show you guys how good some of the cutouts are looking.

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

fast.git
01-13-2014, 10:48
Thanks for the update, Keith... I can be patient, but I'm looking forward to the finished product as I've got a bunch of little planes that need shelter! ;)

Oberst Hajj
01-13-2014, 10:52
Thanks for the update, Keith... I can be patient, but I'm looking forward to the finished product as I've got a bunch of little planes that need shelter! ;)

Me too :cry: In fact, I've not actually gotten a personal set of the last two WGF Series because I don't have Hangars to put them in. Or Series 3+ for WGS :eek: Don't forget guys, I'm not only a drug dealer, I mean miniatures dealer, I'm a user too! lol

fast.git
01-13-2014, 10:58
Don't forget guys, I'm not only a drug dealer, I mean miniatures dealer, I'm a user too! lol

:lol: This fact just adds all the more to your credibility! :pint:

Oberst Hajj
01-13-2014, 11:04
One of the things I did find when making the test cuts... I'm going to have to rethink my finger holes on the plane cut outs. This new foam is so dense you can't even compress it to get your fingers down in there!!

Oberst Hajj
01-13-2014, 11:05
:lol: This fact just adds all the more to your credibility! :pint:

lol. I suppose it's pretty bad with a dealer can not even supply him self :erk:

Ed2
01-13-2014, 11:06
Not to mention that I have 48 SOG's looking for a home.

fast.git
01-13-2014, 11:08
One of the things I did find when making the test cuts... I'm going to have to rethink my finger holes on the plane cut outs. This new foam is so dense you can't even compress it to get your fingers down in there!!

This is a good thing. I've found some of the cuts in the previous version of the hangar trays to be a little too narrow... some of the planes catch on the foam if not placed extremely precisely!
:serious:

Oberst Hajj
01-13-2014, 11:26
Not to mention that I have 48 SOG's looking for a home.

I know right!!

This is a good thing. I've found some of the cuts in the previous version of the hangar trays to be a little too narrow... some of the planes catch on the foam if not placed extremely precisely!
:serious:

That will not be an issue at all with the new foam. The cutouts have smooth sealed wall to them. There are not open pores for the plane bits to catch on. I don't even thing the pitot tube on the WGS Series 1 and 2 planes will catch on top of these trays, let alone inside the cutouts.

englishpete
01-16-2014, 18:01
Hi there,

will there be custom cuts for WWII. I'd love to order where the planes sat next to the base and cards?

Thx Pete

Oberst Hajj
01-17-2014, 08:09
I'll be offering both WGS trays that are pre-designed and cut, as well as full on custom trays... priced accordingly of course ;)

If you are not familiar with them, the standard layout is 6 planes across one side and 6 cutouts for the decks and bases across the other side. Hopefully next week (scheduled for delivery on Tues) I'll have the new test foam in and I can actually cut a full sheet and show you guys.

Brambo
01-17-2014, 08:28
On another note Keith, will you be doing the Damage Deck caddies again?

Oberst Hajj
01-17-2014, 09:39
On another note Keith, will you be doing the Damage Deck caddies again?

Yes :thumbsup: Still sorting a few things out before I can ramp up to full production on everything.

Brambo
01-17-2014, 20:21
Yes :thumbsup: Still sorting a few things out before I can ramp up to full production on everything.

Thanks Keith, that's great news

P-51D
01-18-2014, 08:04
I am excited about these, with ovr 200 WGS planes and a couple dozen WGF, I have found storing them in their boxes is taking way too much room! Not only that, but it is easier for the wife to notice the collection growing. I have been looking I to new/alternative storage that not only protects the planes, looks good, but also can "shrink" the size of the collection to prying eyes.... ;)

john snelling
01-18-2014, 08:41
I am excited about these, with ovr 200 WGS planes and a couple dozen WGF, I have found storing them in their boxes is taking way too much room! Not only that, but it is easier for the wife to notice the collection growing. I have been looking I to new/alternative storage that not only protects the planes, looks good, but also can "shrink" the size of the collection to prying eyes.... ;)

A shed with you holding the only key. I'm a lucky guy my wife does not care.

fast.git
01-18-2014, 09:21
I used to have a nice work room in the basement... now it's a hangar. :)

Archidamus
01-18-2014, 11:59
A shed with you holding the only key. I'm a lucky guy my wife does not care.

Same here - it's more a case of either get two more trays in the bag with the denser foam, or buy a second bag - although, with the way the collection is growing, that's only a matter of time anyway :minis::money::eek:

skyking20
01-18-2014, 15:52
SoG foam trays would be awesome. But there are so many items missing form your store. How are you ever going to catch up?

P-51D
01-19-2014, 06:45
"A shed with you holding the only key. I'm a lucky guy my wife does not care."

Yeah, it is not the expenditure as much as a space issue. With little kids running the house, she has to make sure they don't go in my office, which doubles as a work space and library/man cave/gaming room. So as she sees it, the room is a huge liability and is getting fuller of my "precious" things all the time. The kiddos get really excited on the occasions I allow them in with me. Whenever the door is accidentally left ajar, the younger one in especial makes like a dart and ohhhs and ahhhs. As a further protection, everything of value or that would be really susceptible to breaking is kept high and out of their reach. I think I a just going to change the door knob for one with a lock and key. For my work stuff alone, the room has to be secure. Its also where my gun cabinet is as well. So there are lots of reasons to keep the children out of there.

Oberst Hajj
01-20-2014, 06:56
SoG foam trays would be awesome. But there are so many items missing form your store. How are you ever going to catch up?

Have you not realized yet that I don't sleep?

skyking20
01-20-2014, 07:02
As long as you bathe...we're okay!;)

we all really do appreciate your efforts!:clap::clap::clap::thumbsup:

Oberst Hajj
01-20-2014, 07:23
As long as you bathe...we're okay!;)

With the new laser, sometimes that's not a good idea either :eek:

Teaticket
01-20-2014, 08:24
Sleep is for the weak. (on a 'T' shirt from a local coffee shop)

Archidamus
01-20-2014, 11:30
Have you not realized yet that I don't sleep?

Maybe it's time to have a word with Clipper and see where he recruits his elves from?

Oberst Hajj
01-20-2014, 11:37
Maybe it's time to have a word with Clipper and see where he recruits his elves from?

Oh, I know where his elves come from... the other end of the candle.

OldGuy59
01-31-2014, 14:57

I'll get them out as soon as I can, but I think that will be the earliest.

Keith,
I have had to cancel my attendance at GottaCon for this year. So, the next deadline is Enfilade 2014 in May.

Mike :)

Oberst Hajj
03-03-2014, 08:34
I wanted to give everyone a quick update on these. The additional sample foam took longer to get in and I've ran into some issues cutting them on the laser that I did not encounter while doing the test cuts. For the test cuts I was just cutting a single shape out of the foam, pulling it out of the laser and separating the two parts. This gave a vary smooth inside wall. However, when trying to cut a complete tray in one go, the two parts (cavity and blank) are melting back together in some spots. This means the blank can not be removed with out ripping the refused sections and making for an ugly inside wall. I've been talking with some other laser people and have some ideas to try out this week.

At this point I don't have a new estimate as to when these will go into full production. I'm hopeful that one of these ideas will work. If not, I may be back to looking for a source for the type of foam shown in the black/blue and black/red photos on page 1. I'll keep you guys updated as I progress. As always, if you have any questions please let me know and if anyone would rather have a refund, just email me your Order number and details at colhajj@wingsofwar.org and I'll get you sorted out. Sorry again for the delays with these.

Wim
03-04-2014, 10:32
Suggestions: What about using a separating medium such as non-stick parchment paper used in the oven for baking? It is heat resistant.

Oberst Hajj
03-04-2014, 12:43
Wim, the parts that are melting back to gather are from the same piece, so I can't place anything between them.

johnbiggles
03-05-2014, 05:19
Hi Keith,
thanks for the bases-rest of order,all received in good condition.
:):thumbsup:

tuladin
03-10-2014, 14:46
Wouldn't think of asking for a refund. You do such a good job on these, they're definitely worth the wait.

Crash331
03-16-2014, 21:33
Hey guys,

I've been away from the site for a while, so forgive me if this is the wrong thread to ask.

How are the trays coming along? I just got series 4 (or series 6) heck, I don't know, it's hard to keep track. Whatever series has the Bristol and Halberstadt. I'd like to get some trays made. I tried the accessory shop, but nothing was listed, so I thought maybe we had to place an order with Oberst Hajj directly or something. can anyone guide me?

Oberst Hajj
03-17-2014, 09:25
This thread has the latest info on the trays.

I've got one more easy fix to try before I have to move on to more desperate solutions... like vortex tubes. lol

john snelling
03-18-2014, 16:34
Do not go with Vortex tubes they only work on TV!

Oberst Hajj
03-19-2014, 10:55
The kind I'm talking about also work in the machining industry.

Crash331
03-25-2014, 13:33
Keith,

Any chance you have a preorder or mailing list available for the trays? I don't want to miss out when they become available.

Big Blake
05-06-2014, 06:30
Any current updates? My planes need their hangars, the weather is taking its toll on the canvas :p

Oberst Hajj
05-06-2014, 14:14
I've got one last option to try on the current foam I want to use. If this does not work, I'm going to have to find a different kind of foam. I've already been trying to find a source for thicker foam like the black foam in phtos 4-7 of the first post. Unfortunately, I've not found it for less than about $9 per tray sized piece. Obviously, that's too expensive for our needs. I may end up having to go back to the softer foam that all miniatures trays are made out of :( I should be able to keep the much higher quality red and blue bottoms though.

Finding the right type of foam and the best source for it always takes a long time to sort out. As always, anyone tired of wait and message me for a refund at any time. You guys should know I'm not going to give up on this project as I need trays for lots of my own minis as well!!

Ed2
05-06-2014, 14:39
I've got one last option to try on the current foam I want to use. If this does not work, I'm going to have to find a different kind of foam. I've already been trying to find a source for thicker foam like the black foam in phtos 4-7 of the first post. Unfortunately, I've not found it for less than about $9 per try sized piece. Obviously, that's too expensive for our needs. I may end up having to go back to the softer foam that all miniatures trays are made out of :( I should be able to keep the much higher quality red and blue bottoms though.
Finding the right type of foam and the best source for it always takes a long time to sort out.

Does the same go for SGN wave 1 ships, or is that a separate issue?

Oberst Hajj
05-06-2014, 14:51
Does the same go for SGN wave 1 ships, or is that a separate issue?

That's a separate, but related issue. I'm not able to cut this denser foam in the 3" thickness that the ships require. So for those it's either a completely different type of foam, or outsourcing them completely.

Oberst Hajj
05-10-2014, 07:58
I found a company that looks like it might work out price wise for the foam. I've requested samples to be sent so I can test cutting it. More to follow.

gully_raker
05-10-2014, 19:16
:thumbsup: Hope it will be good news Keith. Need more hanger space!:D

Crash331
05-12-2014, 22:50
No problem, just let me know when I can order! :)

I love my old trays and I haven't found anything better than yours, in my opinion.

Biggles downunder
06-30-2014, 21:42
Do we have any update on the trays - I only ask because I am casting around for solutions to replace my 'home-grown' solutions.

Actually a Gotha-Caproni-Balloons solution would be nice as well :)

Oberst Hajj
07-07-2014, 11:55
I have finally exhausted all options for cutting the new style foam (photo #2 in first post) locally :( I've also not been able to find a source that can supply me the other new foam type (photo #4 in first post) in the thickness that we need :cry:

What this means is that I'll have to go back to the standard style foam that we are all used to (photo #1 in first post. (Unless one of you guys have access to a water jet cutter)). I will still be able to use the red and blue bottom foams pictured in photos 5 & 6 of the first post. These will still make for a better storage tray then I've offered in the past, just not as good as I would have like to offer you guys.

I'll be gathering up the info needed to order in both types of foam and making those calls shortly. Just so things don't go to smoothly after finally settling on a way forward, my work is looking to send me to the Old World for several weeks here really soon.

Bottom line, I'm still a ways out from going into full production on these, but there is light at the end of the tunnel now. As always, anyone wanting/needing a refund should contact me directly.

Once again I thank each of you for your understanding and patience with this project.

milcoll73
07-08-2014, 00:01

nice balancing act!!! howd you manage that, MAGIC??!?!?!? i think you are a wizard and must be burned at the stake!!!! :slysmile:

milcoll73
07-08-2014, 00:14
so how much will these trays run and what kind of carry options are there and how much do they runs. also will you have to know all of my individual planes or is there a generic option available?

Oberst Hajj
07-08-2014, 05:02
Hi Phillip,

Did you get a chance to checkout my old style Hangars at Origins? All of mine planes were in them and Ken and Karl have them as well.

Final price on the new trays have not been determined yet, but they will be in the neighborhood of $12-$15 each. I have 2 "stock" Hangars designed to hold each of the Series (one tray for the Central Powers and one for the Entente). I also have "repaint" trays that hold 6 of one type of plane. Finally, I will also offer custom trays were you can tell me which planes you want on a tray.

Bag options are pretty open actually. The Hangars are 7.5x15 (or is that 7.5x13, can't remember now lol), which is pretty much the standard size for miniature storage. Army Transport, Blue Force and the new line from Battle Foam will all work. Once I get the actual Hangars in full swing, I'll be working on sorting out an AA bag again (the last source became to unreliable and expensive). I've got an inside man over in Korea right now that has a line on a company that can make them for me.

milcoll73
07-08-2014, 11:41
Hi Phillip,

Did you get a chance to checkout my old style Hangars at Origins? All of mine planes were in them and Ken and Karl have them as well.

Final price on the new trays have not been determined yet, but they will be in the neighborhood of $12-$15 each. I have 2 "stock" Hangars designed to hold each of the Series (one tray for the Central Powers and one for the Entente). I also have "repaint" trays that hold 6 of one type of plane. Finally, I will also offer custom trays were you can tell me which planes you want on a tray.

Bag options are pretty open actually. The Hangars are 7.5x15 (or is that 7.5x13, can't remember now lol), which is pretty much the standard size for miniature storage. Army Transport, Blue Force and the new line from Battle Foam will all work. Once I get the actual Hangars in full swing, I'll be working on sorting out an AA bag again (the last source became to unreliable and expensive). I've got an inside man over in Korea right now that has a line on a company that can make them for me.

i glanced at them a bit but frankly not as much as i should have, i was captivated by all the a/c :eek:! thats good news as keeping them in the original boxes in a gaming bag isnt working too well of late. ive been looking into storage options.

also when do you think youll be offering the multi piece fire and smoke markers?

OldGuy59
09-22-2014, 23:44
Keith,
Enfilade 2014 is fading in my memory (thankfully there are pictures on the Forum), and BottosCon is rapidly approaching. I have been saving money for hangars for a long while now, but I need something soon.

So, do I go looking for a kludge, or is there some hope of a more professional solution?

PS: I start building my own 15-ish October.

Oberst Hajj
09-23-2014, 04:13
Mike, I hope to have really good news for everyone later this week.

tuladin
09-23-2014, 09:16

Great! The news that we're about to get some news is pretty good news all by itself.:thankyou:

john snelling
09-24-2014, 10:59

Hurray!!!:pint::drinks::pint::drinks::clap:

Grey
09-24-2014, 14:16
All good news, especially as I have been looking for just this sort of thing (as my collection grows). I will be watching (& always learning what works). :)

FarEast
09-24-2014, 14:26
Im also very interested in the trays..... the collection is getting to the point that it is drawing the attention of the :wafangry:

Jager
09-25-2014, 05:29
Herr Oberst:
As your re-doing the trays, could you please redesign the cutouts at the nose section for full width propellers? Not only for those who are swapping out with propeller discs, but I discovered that the new Rolands don't fit in the old tray. They have a fixed prop, and you cut out the nose area on the old tray for a rotating prop, in the vertical position.
Karl

Oberst Hajj
09-25-2014, 06:06
Okay, time for a little good news. The manufacture that I used some time ago to make these out of the old foam is now back up and firing on all cylinders. I’ve also sent them samples of the new top foam that I wanted to use, and they stock that as part of their normal supply!

They don’t stock the same type of foam I wanted to use as the bottom part of the tray, but they do have the top foam in grey for the tops and red and blue for the bottoms. I’ve ordered a sample tray from them just to make sure everything is as it should be. I’m expecting that sample sometime this week or next. As long as that checks out (and I’m sure it will ), the only other thing to sort out with them before production can begin is prices.

One of the problems for me in getting these produced is the sheer number of different tray designs. Each new Series released by Ares requires two different trays. When they do a reprint, I have to add a third tray for each Series. Right now that’s 16 different trays for WGF alone… plus a couple of extras for the balloons and game components. In the past I’ve also offered what I referred to as Six Pack trays, one tray that held six of one type of plane. That added about 30 more tray designs. And we have not even gotten to the WGS minis! Lol

So, I’m looking at possible ways to cut down on the number of different tray designs I have to have cut. The obvious solution is to go to generic cutouts that will hold different planes. This is really the industry standard, but I always liked offering something just a little more custom.

Most of the Scout type planes would fit into a single sized cutout. Off the top of my head I think the Dr.I, Ni 17, and maybe the SS D.III could all fit into a smaller cutout. Those first two I think are too small to securely fit in the full sized scout cutout. I think I might need two sized for the two-seaters as well.

What are you guys’ thoughts on this issue?

Herr Oberst:
As your re-doing the trays, could you please redesign the cutouts at the nose section for full width propellers? Not only for those who are swapping out with propeller discs, but I discovered that the new Rolands don't fit in the old tray. They have a fixed prop, and you cut out the nose area on the old tray for a rotating prop, in the vertical position.
Karl

Good point Karl. The finger holes are also going to have to be enlarged with this new foam time… it does not compress easy enough. People with Wreck It Ralph hands would have a hard time getting them out if I did not enlarge those. lol

Kenji
09-25-2014, 06:20
Hi Keith,

Thank you for sharing the good news.

In terms of your question I would be fine with a more generic cut-out approach to the tray design. Whatever helps to reduce the overall cost of the tray production but can still safely store the plane miniatures would be best in my opinion.

If we don't take this approach we might be forever creating new tray designs if/when Ares comes out with new plane designs.

Hope this helps.

P.S.
Being a new player I have not seen the previous version of the Hanger Tray product. What would we use to store these foam cut-outs in please?

milcoll73
09-25-2014, 11:00
i like the generic type cut outs as that allows for rearranging types as new model come out. as for the dr1, nieuport, and ssdIII i think as long as the wings are secure theyd be alright in a slot for a bigger a/c.

the next question are you going to offer options that allow for card, base and peg storage with the respective a/c? call me OCD but i like to have them right there with the a/c ready to go instead having to pull out another tray.

Toothless9
09-25-2014, 11:00
This is good news. I'm also ok with a more generic cutout. Please leave the cutouts for the matching maneuver decks though. I've always bought your trays because you can keep the planes and maneuver decks together. I believe Battle Foam has a line that will fit the trays in a single stack. It's one of there lower lines but still very nice and miles ahead of "Army Transport" crap. Too bad Outrider Hobbies couldn't get their act together.

john snelling
09-25-2014, 13:00
Two sizes for the single seater and 2 seaters are OK with me. Thanks for the update.

Toothless9
09-26-2014, 00:10
The Battle foam "Sword " line will fit the original trays in a single stack. Unless Keith comes up with something better, I'll probably stay with this bag. It's about 37.00 without any foam. Wait until Black Friday for the best pricing, maybe 20% off. Shipping tend to be high with these guys.

Kenji
09-26-2014, 03:10
The Battle foam "Sword " line will fit the original trays in a single stack. Unless Keith comes up with something better, I'll probably stay with this bag. It's about 37.00 without any foam. Wait until Black Friday for the best pricing, maybe 20% off. Shipping tend to be high with these guys.

Thank you Dom, I will check out the bag as you suggested.

Misdomingo
09-26-2014, 03:37
I have been very happy with my Battlefoam P.A.C.K. bag for storage of Battletech minis -- they make a quality product. If their "Sword" line is of similar quality, I am sure I will like it too.

Oberst Hajj
09-26-2014, 13:38

Since I can no longer get the Force Operations bags, I was actually looking at carrying the Sword bags.

surfimp
09-26-2014, 13:46
the next question are you going to offer options that allow for card, base and peg storage with the respective a/c? call me OCD but i like to have them right there with the a/c ready to go instead having to pull out another tray.

+1

I too prefer to keep the minis, stands, altitude pegs and cards all together in the same tray, rather than having to rummage into one place to get one thing, and another to get another, etc.

Sounds like there are at least a few of us that feel this way, nice to not be alone in my... er... compulsions ;)

Oh, and I'm totally OK with generic cutouts, too. Makes for the most flexibility, least cost and most efficient use of space.

Kenji
09-26-2014, 14:43
Since I can no longer get the Force Operations bags, I was actually looking at carrying the Sword bags.

That would be awesome Keith.

One stop shopping to get both the trays and the carrying bag :pint:

Oberst Hajj
09-26-2014, 16:20
+1

I too prefer to keep the minis, stands, altitude pegs and cards all together in the same tray, rather than having to rummage into one place to get one thing, and another to get another, etc.

Sounds like there are at least a few of us that feel this way, nice to not be alone in my... er... compulsions ;)

Oh, and I'm totally OK with generic cutouts, too. Makes for the most flexibility, least cost and most efficient use of space.

My trays have always, and always will have the cards and such in the same tray as the plane they go with ;)

milcoll73
09-26-2014, 20:03
My trays have always, and always will have the cards and such in the same tray as the plane they go with ;)

sweet!!!!

Oberst Hajj
10-20-2014, 07:06
The new sample arrived last week. The top foam turned out really nice. The bottom foam not so much :( It's not dense enough and was too elastic. You could push down on it with your finger and it would stretch out. It would return to it's shape as soon as I took my finger off it. But it just not up to the quality that I want on these. They are supposed to be cutting me a new sample using the same type of foam, but 50% denser this time. I'll report back when I have a chance to test that one out.

Smitch
10-20-2014, 09:23
Thank you for the update, Herr Oberst. With my ever-expanding collection, I need these!

Oberst Hajj
11-13-2014, 03:57
I'm still waiting for the second sample with the denser bottom to arrive. These are cut on their waterjet, and they had some big projects to run before my samples could go on. If I still don't like the way this new bottom foam works out, I've already got an alternative lined up that I know I like. Then it's just a matter of working out if the cutting company is going to assemble them, or if I'll do it here locally.

I'll pass along more info as I get it.

gully_raker
11-13-2014, 14:05
I'm still waiting for the second sample with the denser bottom to arrive. These are cut on their waterjet, and they had some big projects to run before my samples could go on. If I still don't like the way this new bottom foam works out, I've already got an alternative lined up that I know I like. Then it's just a matter of working out if the cutting company is going to assemble them, or if I'll do it here locally.

I'll pass along more info as I get it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::clap::clap::clap:

P-51D
11-14-2014, 13:16
Keith, on your old trays, did you do a series 5? I "inherited" a set of your trays for the first four series, but wasn't sure if you produced a series 5 set. I am watching closely what you do with these new ones, as I need to consolidate some space and going to foams is the way to do it! I have too many boxes!

Oberst Hajj
11-14-2014, 15:56
There was no Series 5 in the old Hangars, so you are not missing anything from them. It's looking more and more like I'll be going away from the Series release style Hangars and to a more generic multi fit system.

tuladin
01-01-2015, 10:51
Will the people (like me) who have ordered and prepaid for series 5 and 6 trays awhile ago still get them?

Oberst Hajj
01-05-2015, 20:32
Will the people (like me) who have ordered and prepaid for series 5 and 6 trays awhile ago still get them?

Yes! Everyone that has trays on order will still get them. The layout is going to be different as you have read in this thread. Due to production issues I've had to drop the plane specific cutouts and go to a more generic cutout. There will be two different cutouts for the scouts and two for the two-seaters. The new trays will be made from the really nice foam I talked about at the beginning of this thread.

And it just so happen, things are getting closer....

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154432&d=1420518260http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154433&d=1420518261http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154434&d=1420518261

fast.git
01-19-2015, 17:07
Love the look of these, Keith... finally my Albatros and Nieuports will have a home! And my Halberstadts, and Fokkers, and (coming soon) Hannovers, and 1 1/2 Strutters... :)

Canestri10
01-19-2015, 18:12
Yes! Everyone that has trays on order will still get them. The layout is going to be different as you have read in this thread. Due to production issues I've had to drop the plane specific cutouts and go to a more generic cutout. There will be two different cutouts for the scouts and two for the two-seaters. The new trays will be made from the really nice foam I talked about at the beginning of this thread.

And it just so happen, things are getting closer....

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154432&d=1420518260http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154433&d=1420518261http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154434&d=1420518261

They look amazing!!! Far better than anything out there on the market.

Will trays for WGS be available around the same time as the WGF ones?

Also are there any planes to make heavy fighters and medium/heavy bomber trays for Beaus, 110s, B25s, He111s, Lancs and B17s?

And will the layout be roughly the same in each in WGS as it is WGF? 6 to a tray?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm strictly WW2 minis and in the minority.

Oberst Hajj
01-20-2015, 04:20
Okay guys, I'm getting close to sending in the first production run of these and I need a little feed back from all of you.

Currently there is a Scout and Large Scout cutout, and a Two Seater and Large Two Seater cutout. Would you prefer that each tray contain 6 of the same size, or 3 and 3? Do to logistic reasons, I will not be mixing Scout and Two Seater cutouts on the same tray.

My personal preference is to have each tray hold only a single size. My reasoning is that as they do reprints, we are going to end up with at least 6 of each type of plane (we already have this for Series 1 and 2 on the WGF side).

Oberst Hajj
01-20-2015, 04:23
They look amazing!!! Far better than anything out there on the market.

Will trays for WGS be available around the same time as the WGF ones?

Also are there any planes to make heavy fighters and medium/heavy bomber trays for Beaus, 110s, B25s, He111s, Lancs and B17s?

And will the layout be roughly the same in each in WGS as it is WGF? 6 to a tray?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm strictly WW2 minis and in the minority.

WGS trays will come out around the same time. The catch here is that I will be taking pre-orders for them first and as long as demand is good enough, I'll produce them. This WGS line will be harder to work out with so many different plane sizes/shapes. The Heavies and Tac bombers are going to be PITAs. lol

fast.git
01-20-2015, 07:52
Okay guys, I'm getting close to sending in the first production run of these and I need a little feed back from all of you.

Currently there is a Scout and Large Scout cutout, and a Two Seater and Large Two Seater cutout. Would you prefer that each tray contain 6 of the same size, or 3 and 3? Do to logistic reasons, I will not be mixing Scout and Two Seater cutouts on the same tray.

My personal preference is to have each tray hold only a single size. My reasoning is that as they do reprints, we are going to end up with at least 6 of each type of plane (we already have this for Series 1 and 2 on the WGF side).

I agree. I've got some of both (single-size and mixed) now, and prefer the all-one-type/size.

fast.git
01-20-2015, 07:54
WGS trays will come out around the same time. The catch here is that I will be taking pre-orders for them first and as long as demand is good enough, I'll produce them. This WGS line will be harder to work out with so many different plane sizes/shapes. The Heavies and Tac bombers are going to be PITAs. lol

Pre-orders for WGS are good... I'll need a few.

Once you've started production, do you have any expectations/estimates concerning turnaround time (from order placement to fulfillment)?

Gotham Resident
01-20-2015, 08:30
What is the cost for one of these hangars? The store says nothing is available, so there is not information. That will greatly help me on "preorders". :D

Canestri10
01-20-2015, 12:14

Great news!!

Sorry but what does PITA mean?

Jager
01-20-2015, 12:20
Great news!!

Sorry but what does PITA mean?

Answered privately, to shield tender ears ;)
Karl

Jager
01-20-2015, 12:21

Keith;
My preference for WGF would be single size trays.
I agree the WGS trays will be more difficult, but are much needed also.
Karl

Canestri10
01-20-2015, 12:24
Answered privately, to shield tender ears ;)
Karl

HAHAHAHA that's awesome

Misdomingo
01-20-2015, 14:57
I also vote for single-size trays (and I am really looking forward to both WGF and WGS). Thanks Keith!

Canestri10
01-20-2015, 21:56
Are the custom trays still going to be available?

Like you said WGS has alot more variety in aircraft shapes. For instance I only plan on having one Beaufighter and one 110 and the rest of the tray filled up with fighters...

FarEast
01-20-2015, 22:31

Just wondering where the cards and stands will go? Is there another slot for these or will these need storing separately? My collection has basiocally got out of hand and need a compact solution for all elements of the miniatures.

Canestri10
01-20-2015, 22:37
Im pretty sure there was mention of the bases, stands and decks all fitting in the same tray as the planes in a previous post.

I could be wrong but people were asking everything go in the same tray.

Jager
01-21-2015, 00:17
Unless Keith changes the design, the trays will have a slot for 6 planes (less for big bombers), and another slot for each plane's cards and stand.
I store all the pegs in a separate container.
Karl

fast.git
01-21-2015, 03:30
...My collection has basiocally got out of hand and need a compact solution for all elements of the miniatures...

Ah... poor lad. :sick: :minis: You've been afflicted with the same condition as suffered by many of us! :cheezy: My humblest condolences, sir, but welcome to the club! ;)

fast.git
01-21-2015, 03:38
Unless Keith changes the design, the trays will have a slot for 6 planes (less for big bombers), and another slot for each plane's cards and stand.
I store all the pegs in a separate container.
Karl

The current (or late?) Aerodrome trays have spots for six scouts and their associated decks & stands, three two-holers and three scouts with attendant decks & stands, or two bombers and their stands/bases/decks (or two balloons with no stands/bases). The stands are a little difficult to get out of the trays (beveled edge, snug fit), so I place the upside down (creating a little bowl-shape), with four pegs nestling in the now-shallow basin, and then top it off with the deck. Works pretty well, and guarantees that I've got enough altitude stands regardless of the number of kites I bring.

Not sure if Keith is planning on the same dimensions, but there should be plenty of room for decks unless he drastically changes layout.

delos
01-24-2015, 14:49
Hi Oberst Hajj:

Any shipping cost estimation for european pilots?

Thanks and good job by the way, they look great.

Oberst Hajj
01-25-2015, 06:53
Pre-orders for WGS are good... I'll need a few.

Once you've started production, do you have any expectations/estimates concerning turnaround time (from order placement to fulfillment)?

I will not know that until I send the acutal order in as it depends on what the produce queue looks like at the factory. My thoughts right now are to run pre-orders for a week and then place the order. That should give everyone some time to get funds together/moved around, but not so long as everyone is waiting around for pre-orders.

What is the cost for one of these hangars? The store says nothing is available, so there is not information. That will greatly help me on "preorders". :D

I've not nailed that down just yet. The quotes I got were from a while ago and it will also depend on the number of trays I order. I expect them to be some where in the $10-$13 range for scouts/fighters and two seater trays. Bombers will be more since they need deeper foam.

Are the custom trays still going to be available?

Like you said WGS has alot more variety in aircraft shapes. For instance I only plan on having one Beaufighter and one 110 and the rest of the tray filled up with fighters...

Purely custom trays could still be an option, but expect the price to reflect the custom nature. My production trays will be one tray of all the same size/type of cutouts.

Just wondering where the cards and stands will go? Is there another slot for these or will these need storing separately? My collection has basiocally got out of hand and need a compact solution for all elements of the miniatures.

The cards and stands will be stored on the same tray as the minis. There will also be room to store the pegs in with the crads/stands as well if you like.

The stands are a little difficult to get out of the trays (beveled edge, snug fit)....

My trays have always had a "finger hole" at the top of the card/stand cutout, so they are very easy to get your items out of. These new trays will keep with this tradition.

Any shipping cost estimation for european pilots?

Not at this time as I don't have productions sampes to get weights from. They will be very light, but since they are kind of large, they will need a large box.

Canestri10
01-27-2015, 15:11
Thanks for the update Keith.

I won't be able to purchase any trays until end of May but I'm still definitely keen.

Just a few more questions.

Firstly how will the medium/heavy bombers decks, bases and stands be stored? In the same tray or won't they fit?

Secondly are you still considering stocking bag options? Because I would like to buy a bag that the trays fit and also the shipping wouldn't change much as the trays can just go inside the bag.

Sam

Oberst Hajj
01-29-2015, 03:48
I'm still working on a bag option. The ones I used to sell are no longer being made (at least, not regularly enough to get any when needed). I will probably bring in some of the Battle Foam Sword bags.

Oberst Hajj
01-29-2015, 08:38
I've done some more tweaking on the designs and managed to fit the current range of both WGF and WGS miniatures into 9 different trays plus my old Grand Crew tray to hold the damage decks, rulers, etc. Below is what each tray will look like along with a list of the miniatures that will fit into that tray.

Two things to note: First, the colors of the cut out just represent the four colors I will offer the “bottom” foam in. When I add this product to my site, you will be able to select whichever color you want on any of the trays you order. For example, you could have four of the Scout/Fighter trays, each with a different bottom color. Secondly, all of the trays measure 13x7.5 inches and 1 inch deep. The only exception at this time is the Caproni and Dual Heavy trays. Those two are 1.5 inches deep.

Scout/Fighter Tray
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156041&d=1422533408

WGF

SPAD XIII
Sopwith Camel
Fokker Dr.I
Morane-Saulnier
Hanriot HD.1
Sopwith Triplane
Siemens-Schuckert D.III
SPAD VII
Snipe
Fokker E.V
Nieuport 17/16
Nieuport 28
Bristol F2B Fighter
Halberstadt CL.II
Macchi M5
Hannover CLIIIA
SE5a
Nieuport 16 (w/rockets)

WGS

P-40
Yak-1
Ki-61-I
Re.2001
Spitfire Mk. IX
Gladiator
Falco
Spitfire Mk. III
Hellcat
Zero
Bf 109
Hurricane
Dewoitine

Large Scout/Fighter Tray

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156042&d=1422533411

WGF

Albatros D.Va
Fokker E.III
Halberstadt D.III
Airco DH.2
Aviatik D.I
Albatros D.II
Fokker D.VII
Alb D.III
Pfalz D.III

WGS

FW-190
P-51D
KI-84 Hayate

2 Seater/Heavy Fighter Tray

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156043&d=1422533414

WGF

Roland
UFAG

WGS

Bf.110
Stuka
Val

Large 2 Seater Tray

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156044&d=1422533417

WGF

DH4
Rumpler
BR14
RE8

WGS

Bristol Beaufighter

Caproni Tray

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156045&d=1422533420

Gotha Tray

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156040&d=1422532704

B-25 Tray

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156046&d=1422533425

He 111 Tray

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156047&d=1422533428

Dual Heavy Tray (fit's both the B-17s and the Lancastors)

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156048&d=1422533431

Ground Crew Tray

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156049&d=1422533435

Oberst Hajj
01-29-2015, 08:42
The final designs were sent to the factory on Monday and I'm waiting to get a quote and a production sample of each of the trays back. Once that happens, I can start taking pre-orders.

For those of you that placed orders for the old trays that I was never able to fill, you will be getting an email from me in the next week or so about how the switch to the new style trays is going to effect you. As that notice will contain financial information, I do not want to discuss it here on the open forum for everyone's privacy.

Gotham Resident
01-29-2015, 08:43
I know what to ask for my birthday in March!!!! I forsee some hangars coming to me!!!! ;)

fast.git
01-29-2015, 08:59
Good news. Looking forward to that email. :thumbsup:

colby_bimore
01-29-2015, 14:08
Quick question please ... is there a specific model of the Battle Foam Bags that will fit these trays?

What are players thinking of using to hold the trays in if not the Battle Foam bags?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Toothless9
01-29-2015, 22:12
The Battlefoam bag Keith refers to is the Sword Bag. It is part of their economy line of bags. The original Hanger bags were made by Outrider Hobbies and they were nicer but the vendor has had quite a few problems in recent years and probably not trustworthy with your money. The Sword Bag is still a nice bag. It will hold 10.5 inches of foams trays. I believe Keith's trays are 1" and 1.5" so the bag should be able to hold up to 10 trays stacked. I have both bags so I can attest to the quality. Army Transport also has a bag that can hold trays side by side but their bags are not even in the same league as the first two mentioned. This bag is basically an expensive collapsible lunch cooler, at least that is what I have turned it into. I have also purchased Battlefoams Wings of glory trays but I have not used them. I like Keith's tray much better because they have the card slots. I will patiently wait for Keith's trays when they become available.

FarEast
01-29-2015, 22:14
Just need to know when I can pre-order!

Jager
01-30-2015, 01:20
Time to update the inventory, so I can know what to order :eek:
Karl

CH_Brun
01-30-2015, 03:33
There will be some mixed trays to hold complete series divided in two faction, like old ones? or just for one type of planes?

Oberst Hajj
01-30-2015, 06:09
Quick question please ... is there a specific model of the Battle Foam Bags that will fit these trays?

What are players thinking of using to hold the trays in if not the Battle Foam bags?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

toothless9 did a good job in covering the basics. There are actually quite a few bag systems out there that will fit these trays. Portable Warfare is another one. I would say their bags are about the same quality of as Army Transport bags... just different sizes and colors. The main thing to look for is that bag will hold a 13x7.5 inch tray. Some bags are designed to fit two side by side, so you end up with two stacks of trays in the bag.

Time to update the inventory, so I can know what to order :eek:
Karl

The thought of that even makes me cringe :erk: See you next year when you finish up that task!!

There will be some mixed trays to hold complete series divided in two faction, like old ones? or just for one type of planes?

Sorry, the two old styles will no longer be offered. It is just not logistically and financially possible. Under that system, I was looking at around 50 different tray designs just to cover the current WGF and WGS releases. The only way to get these types of trays would be if I did offer to do full on custom trays.

colby_bimore
01-30-2015, 08:19
Thank you Dom and Keith for the updates on the bags.

The Portable Warfare ones look nice, I might give them a try this time.

Toothless9
01-30-2015, 09:13
I was looking at the Portable Warfare bags but I bought the Battle Foam Sword when it was on sale last Fourth of July and was so impressed that I decided not to try the Portable. If it's similar to Army Transport then I'll pass. You have me spoiled on the original Hanger that any bag I buy must be close to the Hanger! The Sword comes close.

colby_bimore
01-30-2015, 10:06
Dom,

What's the concern about Army Transport bags (and by extension the Portable Warfare bags)?

Toothless9
01-30-2015, 11:50
For the money, I feel the "original Hanger" and the Sword bags are better made products. I just looked at the Sabol design webpage and I see they are advertising that their bags are now made in the USA. I bought their Motorpool last year and was not impressed with the quality. That bag was also made in China so maybe the quality will improve now that they are made in America. The Motorpool will hold the Aerodrome trays side by side but it unzips only at the top. It's much nicer if the zipper also unzips down the front to help with tray removal. This bag should hold about twelve trays but you have to reach down to get to the bottom trays. Not a big deal at first but if you access your bag a lot, you will realize why a front zip bag is so much nicer. I still use the Army bag but not with foam trays, I just put my SOG ships in their boxes into the bag. I'm thinking of reinforcing the sides with plastic plates to prevent any accidental crushing. I don't have any Portable Warfare bags but since Keith said they were similar to the Army Transport, I will choose to pass on this bag. I have my ideas on what I consider to be a quality bag and I have spent a fair amount of money on "little toy airplanes" so I look for the best I can afford to protect my investment. If Battlefoam would make a bag in their premium line that would fit Keith's trays, then I would buy that bag but for now, the Sword bag in their economy line is still an excellent choice. Hopefully, someone will give their opinion on the Portable Warfare bag that they actually own.

Canestri10
01-30-2015, 16:52
I've just been looking into the sword bags up against other various bags and the one I personally think is best bang for buck is the PACK 432. Without foam its only about NZ$20 more than the empty sword but you get plastic walls and a few more pockets.

The only problem is the size, the 432 is listed as being 17" x 9". Are there many options in the 13x7.5 inches range? Or maybe there's a chance we could get slightly bigger and costlier trays from you Keith if possible?

Sword looks good but I would really prefer hard sides.

Toothless9
01-30-2015, 17:26
The Pack 432 is a very nice bag as with all their premium line of bags. In the horizontal configuration the tray size is 15.5x8 so Keith's tray would be loose inside the bag. Battlefoam made trays for Wings of Glory airplanes but in the flat configuration . I bought the trays but didn't use them because I like the maneuver cards to be stored with each aircraft. I own this bag so I have tried it. Not a waste for me though because it holds my X-wing minis. I also have the pack 216. I might have gone overboard trying and buying bags.

Ed2
01-30-2015, 17:29
The main reason I like the Portable Warfare bag is, the zipper opens the top and front of the bag for easy access. :pint:

Oberst Hajj
01-31-2015, 03:05
I am buying both a Portable Warfare and word bag to do a comparison (I already have an Army Transport Mark II to compare as well). I'll post the comparison here on the site and will offer the bag I feel is the best for sale via the AA store. The Sword bag I know I can get as a retailer, the PW bag I'll have to check on if it wins out.

delos
01-31-2015, 14:38
will there be "only planes" trays?

Ed2
01-31-2015, 14:57

Are you referring to balloons, accessories or ships?

Toothless9
01-31-2015, 17:04
I am buying both a Portable Warfare and Shield bag to do a comparison (I already have an Army Transport Mark II to compare as well). I'll post the comparison here on the site and will offer the bag I feel is the best for sale via the AA store. The Shield bag I know I can get as a retailer, the PW bag I'll have to check on if it wins out.

Are you changing the size of your trays, the Shield bag uses a larger foam tray (14.25 x 10.25). I hope the Portable Warfare turns out to be a good bag, I do like the specs but I'll let someone else do the QC.

Ed2
01-31-2015, 17:28
I have over a dozen Portable Warfare bags and swear by them. You can carry them one at a time or piggy-back them. I use them for WoG, SoG, Flames of War and Bolt action. Never had a problem with any of them.:pint:

Toothless9
01-31-2015, 17:53
I have over a dozen Portable Warfare bags and swear by them. You can carry them one at a time or piggy-back them. I use them for WoG, SoG, Flames of War and Bolt action. Never had a problem with any of them.:pint:

Ed, your assessment is good enough for me. Just ordered the Portable Warfare bag from MM. They must have just got a shipment because all colors are now available. Ordered the blue.

Oberst Hajj
01-31-2015, 18:20

If you are talking about trays that do not have the spots for the cards, no. Unless I offer them as fully custom trays.

Are you changing the size of your trays, the Shield bag uses a larger foam tray (14.25 x 10.25). I hope the Portable Warfare turns out to be a good bag, I do like the specs but I'll let someone else do the QC.

Sorry about that, I meant the Sword bag :embarrass:

Jager
02-01-2015, 02:57
I found this review of the Portable Warfare bag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jCPhpaJBBI
Karl

Ed2
02-01-2015, 10:10
I found this review of the Portable Warfare bag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jCPhpaJBBI
Karl

Thanks for the demo Karl.

Sorry to get off subject but, does anyone know why the Anchorage is down?

Oberst Hajj
02-01-2015, 11:22
Server issues.

tuladin
02-02-2015, 15:54
Large Scout/Fighter Tray

WGF

Albatros D.Va
Fokker E.III
Halberstadt D.III
Airco DH.4
Aviatik D.I
Albatros D.II
Fokker D.VII
Alb D.III
Pfalz D.III

WGS

FW-190
P-51D
KI-84 Hayate

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I assume you mean the DH.2 - the DH.4 is a very large two-seater.

Oberst Hajj
02-02-2015, 20:00
Yes, I did. Thanks for catching that. I've update that post.

delos
02-20-2015, 01:53
any news?

LOOP
02-20-2015, 05:26
Will say a Camel fit into a 'large fighter'-hole without jumping around?

LOOP
02-20-2015, 05:28
And the same question but for a Roland CII into a 'large 2-seater'-hole?

Oberst Hajj
02-26-2015, 06:42
Will say a Camel fit into a 'large fighter'-hole without jumping around?

And the same question but for a Roland CII into a 'large 2-seater'-hole?

Yes to both of these. They will "bounce" around more then if they were in the smaller sizes, but no damage would come to the minis. I put my smaller minis in the big cutouts, cover the top of the tray and shook the crap out of it...way harder then would ever happen in real life expect maybe in a rollover car crash. lol The minis were just fine and one of the ones I used was my rigged Cpt. Harry S. Gwinne Nieuport 17:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46648&d=1337789934

If that thing can survive bouncing around in the cutout, anything should be able too!

Oberst Hajj
02-26-2015, 06:43
Okay, got some IMPORTANT updates for your guys, so please read and answer...

I'm still waiting on the samples to show so that I can verify that everything fits. I made test trays with my laser, but since it used heat to cut the foam, there is a little "melt" factor in them. The factory making the production trays uses a waterjet to cut them, so there is no "melt" factor in them. This is why I have to have the samples from the factory before placing the production run. As soon as those come in, I'll test them, photograph them and add them to the AA site for people to pre-order. I'll run pre-orders for about a week and then I'll send in the production run to the factory. Due to run quantity limitations, if a type of tray sales out, it could be a while before more are made... I can't just order up 20 of this or that tray whenever I need them :( So I highly recommend taking advantage of the pre-order option.

I got the quotes back for both foams and the from the factory to cut them. My earlier price estimates look like they are in the right range. Here is what the pricing is going to be on the new trays:

1" Trays (fits everything but the Caproni, B-17 and Lancastor minis): $11.99
1.5" Trays (fits the Caproni, B-17 and Lancastor minis): $14.99

Finally, how many of you think you would want the yellow or black bottom foam option? I'm asking because I have to order quite a few of them to get the pricing that we need. If no one really wants them, I'd rather not sink the capital into them. However, if someone really does want them, say for making WGS and WGF standout from each other, or for their bomber trays, I am okay with having them on hand to make the trays for you.

LOOP
02-26-2015, 08:22
Red and blue would work fine for me :thumbsup:

Jager
02-26-2015, 09:27
Any color works for me, Keith.
I'll do a quick box count, so I know how many I need.
Volume discount for over 20 trays, right :slysmile:
Karl

fast.git
02-26-2015, 09:42
Any color works for me, Keith.
I'll do a quick box count, so I know how many I need.
Volume discount for over 20 trays, right :slysmile:
Karl

Here's hoping!

LOOP
02-26-2015, 23:24
Did a quick count yesterday. Will probably need something like 14,15 .....18... pluss post and package.... to sweden...
I like the discount idea. :pray:

;)

Oberst Hajj
02-27-2015, 07:03
I'd love to give you guys a discount, but the margins on these are super tight already :( That tends to happen when you have multiple suppliers and multiple labor steps in a single product. Now, if you guys want to order say, 100 trays each, then I might be able to work a volume deal with the suppliers! lol

Also, this weekend I'll be working on the bag review. I have the BF Sword bag, the Portable Warfare bag and the Army Transport MkII. I can tell you guys that I personally like the Sword bag much better and it is what I will be offering via the AA store.

LOOP
02-27-2015, 07:24
I'd love to give you guys a discount, but the margins on these are super tight already :(

I think you will sell a few even without a discount :thumbsup:;)

Oberst Hajj
02-27-2015, 07:25
And for those that are a little OCD like me, I'll have this as an upgrade option:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=158613&d=1425050624

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=158612&d=1425050623

fast.git
02-27-2015, 12:30
Very cool. Need to start counting :minis::eek:

Jager
02-27-2015, 13:25
Also, this weekend I'll be working on the bag review. I have the BF Sword bag, the Portable Warfare bag and the Army Transport MkII. I can tell you guys that I personally like the Sword bag much better and it is what I will be offering via the AA store.

The only thing I don't like about the sword bag is the lack of plastic liners; I really like the supported sides of the ones you sold before.
Karl

Oberst Hajj
02-27-2015, 18:00
Yeah, I really liked the Outrider bags as well :( Too bad Bryan could not keep them in production... but even then I don't know if would have continued to carry them. There as absolutely no margin on them.

I still kick around the idea of producing my own line of bags (I've got several designs and some really neat, never before seen options for them), but the start up costs are huge :eek:

CH_Brun
02-28-2015, 07:30
I use the BF P.A.C.K. 720 bag and I really love it! Enough space, quality, toughness.... The only problem is... the bag is full now!!!! :cry:

Oberst Hajj
02-28-2015, 07:40
I use the BF P.A.C.K. 720 bag and I really love it! Enough space, quality, toughness.... The only problem is... the bag is full now!!!! :cry:

That and it does not fit the Hangar Trays ;)

CH_Brun
02-28-2015, 10:38
That and it does not fit the Hangar Trays ;)
Sorry Keith! it fits perfectly!

I just need more trays....... and a new bag ;)

Oberst Hajj
02-28-2015, 14:05
Wait a minute, wait a minute. I thought the BF large trays were 15x12. If you double up the Hangar Trays, they come out to be 15x13. Is there an extra inch inside their bags in that direction?

CH_Brun
02-28-2015, 14:52
the size of the bag is more 15 x 12.5..... the trays fits tight, but it's ok no difficulty to close it

Canestri10
02-28-2015, 19:20
Wow this is great. I think I'm gonna go with the 720 bag and Keith's trays.

Canestri10
02-28-2015, 19:24
I just checked and the dimensions for 720 molle pack are 18x14x14 not 15x12.5

Diamondback
02-28-2015, 20:48
Herr Oberst, how do these stack up compared to original factory packaging for cubic inches required? All of my Panera catering boxes are starting to get rather bulky...

Oberst Hajj
03-01-2015, 05:07
Okay, looks like this could be some good news. The BF site lists the trays as:

Tray Size – Battle Foam Large Foam Trays ((15.5W x 12L") (394W x 305L mm))

That should .5" to wide on the width (with two trays side by side) and 1" to short for the length. But, with the photos CH_Burn showed above, it looks like it will still work. His is an older version of it, so I'm going to order in one of the new Molle versions (and a 432) and see just how well the new Hangar trays fit (remember, they are much more rigid then the old style CH_Burn is using). I hope to have it here by next Friday, so my review will wait until then.

Anyone that is thinking about getting a BF bag, I might want to hold off until they are on the AA store ;)

Oberst Hajj
03-01-2015, 05:17
Herr Oberst, how do these stack up compared to original factory packaging for cubic inches required? All of my Panera catering boxes are starting to get rather bulky...

Six scout sized minis take up 172 cubic inches in the factory packaging. A Hangar tray of six minis takes up 121.87 cubic inches. So the Hangar Trays give you about 30% space savings. No to mention the trays are more protective and easier to get your minis in and out of.

Does that help?

fast.git
03-01-2015, 05:36
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Keith!

Canestri10
03-01-2015, 13:44
I continue to make myself look more stupid with every post :surrender:

I looked at the outside dimensions not the tray dimensions. Still an interesting development here :clap:

Canestri10
03-01-2015, 13:55
Keith,

With the dual heavy tray, is there anyway 2 minis could fit into one tray? Because the tray is 1.5 deep could 2 bases, 2 decks and 2 stands fit into one pocket?

It just feels like a lot room taken up for 1 mini.

Sam.

Diamondback
03-01-2015, 16:54
Six scout sized minis take up 172 cubic inches in the factory packaging. A Hangar tray of six minis takes up 121.87 cubic inches. So the Hangar Trays give you about 30% space savings. No to mention the trays are more protective and easier to get your minis in and out of.

Does that help?
It does, some. :) If we lowball with Scout boxes across the board, for WGF... 19 Series 1 singles, 21 Series 2, 12 Series 3, 12 Series 4, 12 Series 5, 12 Series 6, 12 Series 7 = 96 singles. 96/6=16 trays, or 1950 cubes, as opposed to boxes' 2752.
Not counting RDS/DP, BB, Bombers.

WWII line... assuming you can fit the WW2's in the same way... 12 Series 1, 12 Series 2, 8 Series 3, 12 Series 4, 12 Series 5 = 56 singles. 56/6=10 trays, or 1219 cubes to boxes' 1605.
Not counting DS, WGS Starter, Med Bombers or Hvy Bombers.

Note, larger box items not counted to simplify math.

Next questions: Do you have trays planned or designed for the balloons? Obviously they'd be thicker... And how many do I need to order of each tray to store a One Of Everything collection including the known forthcoming sets?

Once that's answered, signing up for a pre-order if still possible is just a matter of jiggering the budget numbers and figuring out how... :)

Oberst Hajj
03-01-2015, 18:11
Keith,

With the dual heavy tray, is there anyway 2 minis could fit into one tray? Because the tray is 1.5 deep could 2 bases, 2 decks and 2 stands fit into one pocket?

It just feels like a lot room taken up for 1 mini.

Sam.

Nope, can only fit one mini per tray for these big boys.

It does, some. :) If we lowball with Scout boxes across the board, for WGF... 19 Series 1 singles, 21 Series 2, 12 Series 3, 12 Series 4, 12 Series 5, 12 Series 6, 12 Series 7 = 96 singles. 96/6=16 trays, or 1950 cubes, as opposed to boxes' 2752.
Not counting RDS/DP, BB, Bombers.

WWII line... assuming you can fit the WW2's in the same way... 12 Series 1, 12 Series 2, 8 Series 3, 12 Series 4, 12 Series 5 = 56 singles. 56/6=10 trays, or 1219 cubes to boxes' 1605.
Not counting DS, WGS Starter, Med Bombers or Hvy Bombers.

Note, larger box items not counted to simplify math.

Next questions: Do you have trays planned or designed for the balloons? Obviously they'd be thicker... And how many do I need to order of each tray to store a One Of Everything collection including the known forthcoming sets?

Once that's answered, signing up for a pre-order if still possible is just a matter of jiggering the budget numbers and figuring out how... :)

Your space savings will be even great if you factor in the larger two seater boxes. While their boxes increase in size, you can still fit 6 of them on a single 1" tray.

Balloon trays are not going to be produced at this time as I do not think there is enough demand for them without the balloons actually being available right now. You guys should feel free to change my mind about that. I would also expect those trays to be in the $18~$19 range since they have to be 3" thick.

As to the One Of Everything collection, I've not figured that out. It should be pretty simple using the complete list in the files section. I might get around to figuring that out when time permits, but it's not even on the counter top next to the stove... let alone on the back burner :D Too many other products and projects to work on!

Diamondback
03-01-2015, 18:18
BTW, check your email--something I tried to send early yesterday w/an idea that Rob at Ares seemed open to that we'd have to partner up on. Also have a design for a SGN accessory concept if you're game...

If you can get a list of specifically what tray's needed for each sculpt (or already have one; I'm a little shaky on "small scout vs large scout" and on the WWII birds' breakdown similarly), I'll work up the "except Balloon Busters" Completionist Package manifest for you. :)

N/M, found the "what goes where". :)

WGF
Series 1 - 3 Sm Scout (6 SPAD XIII = 1, 6 Camel = 1, 6 Dr.I = 1), 1 Lg Scout (6 D.Va = 1)
Series 2 - 1 Sm Scout (5 Snipe = 1), 1 Lg Scout (5 D.VII = 1), 1 Sm Tand (5 Rol. C.II = 1), 1 Lg Tand (6 DH.4 = 1)
Series 3 - 1 Sm Scout (3 N.17 = 1/2), 1 Lg Scout (3 Alb. D.III = 1/2), 1 Sm Tand (3 UFAG = 1/2), 1 Lg Tand (3 RE8 = 1/2)
Series 4 - 1-2 Sm Scout (3 Pfalz D.III = 1/2, 3 SE5a = 1/2), 1-2 Lg Tand (3 Br.14 = 1/2, 3 C.IVc = 1/2)
Series 5 - 1 Sm Scout (3 M-S N = 1/2), 2-3 Lg Scout (3 E.III = 1/2, 3 DH.2 = 1/2, 3 Halb. D.III = 1/2)
Series 6 - 2-3 Sm Scout (3 HD.1 = 1/2, 3 Tripe = 1/2, 3 SSW D.III = 1/2), 1 Lg Scout (3 Avia. D.I = 1/2)
Series 7 - 2-3 Sm Scout (3 S.VII = 1/2, 3 F2B = 1/2, 3 CL.II = 1/2), 1 Lg Scout (3 Alb D.II = 1/2)
Series 8 - 2-4 Sm Scout (3 N.28 = 1/2, 3 Fok. E.V = 1/2, 3 Macchi M.5 = 1/2, 3 CL.IIIa = 1/2)
Series 9 unsorted - Nieuport 11 (EN scout), Phoenix D.I (CP scout), Sop. 1-1/2-Strutter (EN tandem), Alb. C.III (CP tandem)
Bombers 1 - 2 Caproni (4 Caproni = 2), 1 Gotha (2 Gotha = 1)
Not figured: 2x N.16 (Sm Scout), 2x Caquot/Ae800, damage/target/aces decks (Ground Crew Trays), series 3+ reprints
Totals: 13-18 Sm Scout, 7-8 Lg Scout, 2 Sm Tand, 3-4 Lg Tand, 2 Caproni, 1 Gotha

I'll have to review box and booster contents to figure out repacking the RDS and RAP. Looks like the Pack 720 will take up to 18 trays and this means up to 34 trays to divide between packs, so how would we break these logically into an Early War and Late War "game pack"?

WGS
Series 1 - 4 Sm Scout (4 Early Spitfire = 1, 4 Zero = 1, 4 Early Bf109 = 1, 4 Wildcat = 1)
Series 2 - 1-2 Sm Scout (3 Hurri = 1/2, 3 D520 = 1/2), 1-2 Sm Tand (3 Stuka = 1/2, 3 Val = 1/2)
Series 3 - 2-4 Sm Scout (3 P-40 = 1/2, 3 Yak = 1/2, 3 Tony = 1/2, 3 Re2001 = 1/2)
Series 4 - 1-2 Sm Scout (3 Glad = 1/2, 3 Cr42 = 1/2), 1 Sm Tand (3 Bf110 = 1/2), 1 Lg Tand (3 Beau = 1/2)
Series 5 - 1 Sm Scout (3 Spit IX = 1/2), 2-3 Lg Scout (3 Fw190 = 1/2, 3 P-51D = 1/2, 3 Ki84 = 1/2)
Med Bombers - 1 B-25 (2 B-25 = 1), 1 He111 (2 He111 = 1)
Hvy Bombers - 4 Hvy (2 B-17 = 2, 2 Lanc = 2)
Not figured: Series 6 and beyond, reprints
Totals: 9-13 Sm Scout, 2-3 Lg Scout, 2-3 Sm Tand, 1 Lg Tand, 1 B-25, 1 He111, 4 Heavy
QUESTIONS: As with WWI, any suggestions for logical splits by time or theater? Looks like 26 trays here.

Oberst Hajj
03-01-2015, 18:45
I'll check my emails. There is a list already in this thread... some where about the post with all the colored design mock ups.

Diamondback
03-01-2015, 21:35
Thanks--found your list, some questions in my last post, and Completionist List built and posted for you. :)

Oberst Hajj
03-02-2015, 04:02
QUESTION: Is the Nieuport 17 a Small or Large Scout? Didn't see it listed. Also, have you sorted out Series 9? I'll have to review box and booster contents to figure out repacking the RDS and RAP. Looks like the Pack 720 will take up to 18 trays and this means up to 34 trays to divide between packs, so how would we break these logically into an Early War and Late War "game pack"?

The Ni17 is definitely a small scout type of plane. I'll go back and add it to the list. Nothing worked up on Series 9 yet as I need minis in hand to see what will fit in the current cutouts and what will not. If someone with some time wanted to give me a list of their dimensions and and dimensions from planes we already have, I could get a pretty good idea.

Not really given much thought yet as to how I would break my planes into multiple bags.

QUESTIONS: As with WWI, any suggestions for logical splits by time or theater? Looks like 26 trays here.

My WGS collection would easily fit into a single bag at this point. I'm not sure if there is enough minis released yet to really fill up enough trays for two bags by Theater yet.

Diamondback
03-02-2015, 09:51
Once you get past 18 trays, if you're going to store In Bag it does mean a second bag though...

Jager
03-02-2015, 12:12
Once you get past 18 trays, if you're going to store In Bag it does mean a second bag though...

I've actually thought of using storage boxes for most of the collection, putting what I need for the trip in the bag. When you get as many as I have, storage bags become less of an ideal solution for the entire collection.
Karl

Diamondback
03-02-2015, 12:56
Karl, I'm also one of those "likes to have entire horde accessible for unplanned force-structure changes" sorts--you know that Suitcase Guy who has EVERYTHING available to him at the table? That's me... LOL (Seriously, you shoulda seen the LOOKS I used to get in GenCon's War at Sea areas when I dragged in a duffel big enough to use as a body-bag containing thousands of minis.)

Jager
03-02-2015, 15:18
I can be like that too, but after a few Origins toting 2 double and 1 single bags (and a couple of shoe boxes), I realize the limit of my transport capabilities.
Karl

Diamondback
03-02-2015, 15:42
That's what folding carts and collapsible wagons are for, too... besides, when your Everyday Carry load is a 40# laptop case, a 20# "go bag" with tools, first aid kit and other gear, and a 3# steel kidney-stone strapped to your hip you get used to it. LOL

Oberst Hajj
03-03-2015, 06:53
I have to split my WGF collection in to two bags as well. Right now the "extras" bag has the balloons, bombers and the E.IIIs and DH2s. This is simply because I do not use them as much. I'm heavy on Dr.I's, D.Va's and Camels and like to always have all of them with me.

With the new trays holding different combinations of all the minis, I might be inclined to pair up 3 sets of planes in a single tray. For example, MvR and Brown might be in a tray with LvR and another Jasta 11 custom painted Dr.I. Sitting opposite of them in the same tray would be Brown and 2 other Camels. This would kind of stick to the matched Series release Nexus/Ares have tried to do in the past. it also puts panes of a common era in the same trays.

LOOP
03-03-2015, 07:14
Do you have any price-estimations on the different bags? :confused:

Diamondback
03-03-2015, 12:10
It's starting to seem like it might be more efficient for me to bake in an assumption of "One Tray Per Sculpt", if Ares doesn't skip over Series 3 on reprints. So four trays per series would mean four series plus a Ground Crew tray per bag with room to spare for accessories...

Jager
03-03-2015, 15:02
It's starting to seem like it might be more efficient for me to bake in an assumption of "One Tray Per Sculpt", if Ares doesn't skip over Series 3 on reprints. So four trays per series would mean four series plus a Ground Crew tray per bag with room to spare for accessories...

Don't forget the ground crew tray (assuming Keith does these too). I have found them to be most useful (hint...hint)
Karl

Oberst Hajj
03-04-2015, 04:42
Do you have any price-estimations on the different bags? :confused:

Here are the retail prices for the bags I'm looking at offering...

Sword: $37
P.A.C.K. 432: $80
P.A.C.K. 720: $105

Note that the latter two I have to ensure will work with the new trays first. I also plan to do a combo pack of trays and bags at a reduced price (if everything works out like I want it to).

Ares is not skipping any of the reprints and from what I have been told, WGF will continue to have the 2+1 reprint format.

Don't forget the ground crew tray (assuming Keith does these too). I have found them to be most useful (hint...hint)
Karl

No worries Karl, the Ground Crew tray will be one of the new ones as well. I could not live with out mine either :)

LOOP
03-04-2015, 05:38
Great :thumbsup:

Canestri10
03-04-2015, 19:41
So by my calculations the pricing will be somewhere around this:

4x 1.5" heavy trays = $60 (Takes up the space of 6 normal trays)
12 x 1" normal trays = $144
Sword 720 bag = $105

Total amount for storage solution = $309 :eek:

Then I have to convert that into NZD which is roughly $408!!! :surrender:

It's still my first option but a highly unachievable option. :(

Oberst Hajj
03-04-2015, 19:47
So by my calculations the pricing will be somewhere around this:

4x 1.5" heavy trays = $60 (Takes up the space of 6 normal trays)
12 x 1" normal trays = $144
Sword 720 bag = $105

Total amount for storage solution = $309 :eek:

Then I have to convert that into NZD which is roughly $408!!! :surrender:

It's still my first option but a highly unachievable option. :(

Yeah, good storage is not cheap :( Like our mini collections, it's best to build the storage solution up over time. Think about which minis you really use all the time and get trays for them while keeping the lesser used minis in your current solution. As time and funds permit, pick up a couple more trays.

Canestri10
03-04-2015, 19:57
Yeah, good storage is not cheap :( Like our mini collections, it's best to build the storage solution up over time. Think about which minis you really use all the time and get trays for them while keeping the lesser used minis in your current solution. As time and funds permit, pick up a couple more trays.

Good point but then I have a dilemma: Do I buy it all at once to save on shipping in the long run (shipping to NZ remember) or do I spend less each time on a few trays at a time and spend lots on shipping?

Oberst Hajj
03-04-2015, 20:03
You can play around on the USPS (www.usps.com) website to see just how many shipments will compare to one large order. At least, once I have some weights to give you guys. That should be early next week sometime.

Canestri10
03-05-2015, 23:12
Looking forward to your bag review.

LOOP
03-05-2015, 23:36
Me to!!
Don't know if I shall go for two Swordbags or one 720........

OldGuy59
03-05-2015, 23:37
Problem.

I need them all now.

Actually, this past weekend would have been nice. One Rubbermaid tub with lid (containing a 12x12" beading box with my WWF cards and bits, two Michael's 14x14" scrap-booking boxes full of minis, my WGF RAP box, my WWF box full of cockpits, and a bunch of original-boxed minis), a small storage bin (Holding all my Bf-109s, Hurricanes, and Spitfires in their original boxes, damage chit Ziplock bins, bags of Booster pack A and B maneuver decks, flame/smoke markers, rule book, cockpits and pads. Oh! and a sea-scape "mat"), two boxes with clipper1801 accessories (never going to fit in any storage bag), and a few Ares play mats (again, never going to fit in a storage bag.

I piled all the above on one of these:

Links: CoolTools (http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/4322)
Officeworks.com.au - Folding Hand Truck (http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/magna-cart-folding-hand-truck-owmagna)

I could have taken my entire collection in one or two storage bags, and the Magnacart would have enabled it all to move around the hotel and convention center much easier. I had to leave lots of minis at home, like my balloons and bombers. This time. The stuff I did take nearly didn't fit through doors and into elevators.

Yeah, I need another job to support this habit. And there I was pushing the Ares version of crack-cocaine all weekend. I should be ashamed of myself. I have no morals, at all.

PS: Darn. I didn't mention my foam-core Display Board, at 24X36"(folded size). It fit against the Magnacart between the boxes and bins. Very awkward to maneuver around with, if you are holding luggage and bins.

Canestri10
03-05-2015, 23:44
Me to!!
Don't know if I shall go for two Swordbags or one 720........

I think the hard plastic side and options for extra pockets sells the 720 for me.

LOOP
03-06-2015, 00:06
Right now I keep all my minis, RAP and other stuff in a plasticbag.... Everything is better than that :p

Oberst Hajj
03-06-2015, 08:24
Got the bottom foam samples yesterday...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=159058&d=1425645844

And the top foam production samples where shipped out to me yesterday as well. I should have those about mid week next week. Then I'll combine the two and get you guys some real photos of a finished tray or two. If everything goes as it should, I'll be adding the trays to the site next weekend!

I've not heard back form my FLGS about the 432 and 720 bags yet. They typically get stuff in on Friday, so we'll see if they come in today or not.

CH_Brun
03-06-2015, 10:10
Can't wait!!!

Oberst Hajj
03-12-2015, 03:51
Well, the BF bags have not arrived yet, so I can't do a review on them. But, the top foam did arrive and the cuts and finishes on them look really great! There was a problem with the both two seater samples though, I apparently sent them an old version of the design to cut :eek: :( But it's not a huge deal as the others proved that their cutting matches mine and I just need to get them the correct files for production.

This weekend I plan on getting some photos of them and getting everything up on the AA site. I know not having all the bags reviewed causes and issue with some of you ordering and it keeps me from being able to work up some combo deals for you guys.

More to come over the weekend.

Oberst Hajj
03-15-2015, 19:22
I'm going to wait until later this week to add these to the site for pre-orders. I really want to get the bags up with them to offer the combo deals. That will also give me time to talk with the factory about the changes to a couple of the designs.

For those of you that ordered the old style a long time ago and never got them, you will be getting a direct email from me later this week as well. It will detail how I will be resolving those old orders and how I am going to be compensating you for the very long delay. Thanks for sticking with me on these, I know you guys are going to be more than happy in the end.

In the mean time, here are some photos of the production trays for you to enjoy....

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160288&d=1426471863

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160289&d=1426471865

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160290&d=1426471866

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160291&d=1426471868

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160292&d=1426471869

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160295&d=1426471950

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160296&d=1426471951

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160297&d=1426471953

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160298&d=1426471955

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160299&d=1426471956

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160300&d=1426471958

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160293&d=1426471947

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160294&d=1426471948

Those should give you a really good idea of how these are going to look in each of the different colors... which you get to chose on a tray by tray basis. I'm thinking I'll use red for all my axis planes, blue for the allied planes, yellow for my ground crew tray, and maybe blacks for the bombers. That would allow me to know which trays I need with just a quick glance without actually taking them out of the bag or uncovering them to see what planes are in the trays (at least I'll know what side's color I need to pull out).

Canestri10
03-15-2015, 19:25
Thanks for the update Keith.

They look amazing! Great job. :salute:

CH_Brun
03-15-2015, 19:26
love it!!!;)

Canestri10
03-15-2015, 19:30
Will there still be the option to laser etch the side of a tray to even further differentiate the trays from one another?

Archidamus
03-16-2015, 07:00
Looking good Keith - I'd better start saving up as I need a fair few trays :D::money:

Oberst Hajj
03-16-2015, 08:34
Will there still be the option to laser etch the side of a tray to even further differentiate the trays from one another?

Engraving on the long side might be an option. My laser is not deep enough to engrave on the short side. I'll also have to figure out how to make a jig that would hold the trays on the long edge so that I could engrave there...

tuladin
03-16-2015, 19:42
I'm going to wait until later this week to add these to the site for pre-orders. I really want to get the bags up with them to offer the combo deals. That will also give me time to talk with the factory about the changes to a couple of the designs.

These look so good I'm thinking of replacing all of my old ones - especially if you can change the large two-seater tray so that it can carry 6 planes. Five planes with six card slots bothers my CDO*.:)

*CDO is the same thing as OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder), but with the letters rearranged into proper alphabetical order.

Oberst Hajj
03-16-2015, 19:56
These look so good I'm thinking of replacing all of my old ones - especially if you can change the large two-seater tray so that it can carry 6 planes. Five planes with six card slots bothers my CDO*.:)

*CDO is the same thing as OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder), but with the letters rearranged into proper alphabetical order.

There is just not room to fit 6 of the larger plane cutouts on a single tray. In fact, the two seater trays are getting a pretty major overall from what was posted back in post #130 (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?17140-Hangar-Tray-Update&p=332415&viewfull=1#post332415) (that was actually an old design that I posted by accident :embarrass: ). The extra card slot looks odd at first, but since two-seaters and small "bombers" will be going in this tray, that extra card slot allows you to keep your ground target and bomb cards with the planes and easily accessible.

tuladin
03-16-2015, 20:02
There is just not room to fit 6 of the larger plane cutouts on a single tray. In fact, the two seater trays are getting a pretty major overall from what was posted back in post #130 (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?17140-Hangar-Tray-Update&p=332415&viewfull=1#post332415) (that was actually an old design that I posted by accident :embarrass: ). The extra card slot looks odd at first, but since two-seaters and small "bombers" will be going in this tray, that extra card slot allows you to keep your ground target and bomb cards with the planes and easily accessible.

Good! The extra slot has a purpose. That's all I needed. Thanks!

Oberst Hajj
03-28-2015, 16:24
Okay, I'm having to make a "Fast Fighters" tray because of their larger maneuver decks. But the problem is that their bases are the smaller size. Which would you guys prefer:

1. A separate cutout for both the base and cards in a tray that holds 3 planes.

With 3 planes per tray, you can store all of the official paint jobs on a single tray, and it will take 4 trays to store all 12 of the current Fast Fighter minis.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=161100&d=1427584073

2. To store the smaller base on top of the cards (the base will slide around in that cutout) in a tray that holds 4 planes.

With 4 planes per tray, each tray will hold a different mix of plane types (or it could hold the 3 official minis and a repaint). It will take 3 trays to hole all 12 official planes in this configuration.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=161101&d=1427584074

Jager
03-29-2015, 07:59
I'd prefer the 4 plane tray; you can put the base under the cards, and it shouldn't go anywhere.
Karl

Oberst Hajj
03-29-2015, 09:58
you can put the base under the cards, and it shouldn't go anywhere.
Karl

Good point. I'm actually not so worries about the base, but the plane card really. I guess it and the base were under the maneuver deck, things should be good. Heck, even some altitude pegs could fit under there.

CH_Brun
04-06-2015, 06:18
And what about the bags?

Oberst Hajj
04-07-2015, 04:22
And what about the bags?

Still working on that :(

Oberst Hajj
04-07-2015, 04:22
And a new thread (www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?21891-New-ACE-Hangar-Trays) about ordering the new ACE Hangar Trays.

Oberst Hajj
12-05-2015, 07:07
The ACE Hangar Trays for the giants are now available for pre-order (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?21891-New-ACE-Hangar-Trays&p=381192#post381192).

zenlizard
12-05-2015, 10:45
**sigh* Looks too good to pass up. But I'm short on funds (again), too much holiday spending already.