PDA

View Full Version : Attack on Taranto Harbour

Naharaht
11-10-2013, 16:55
Tonight is the anniversary of the attack on Taranto Harbour by Fairy Swordfish aircraft of the Fleet Air Arm. It highlighted that the day of the battleship was nearly over. Here is a paragraph from Wikipedia:

The Battle of Taranto took place on the night of 11–12 November 1940 during the Second World War. The Royal Navy launched the first all-aircraft ship-to-ship naval attack in history, flying a small number of obsolescent biplane torpedo bombers from an aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean Sea. The attack struck the battle fleet of the Regia Marina at anchor in the harbour of Taranto using aerial torpedoes despite the shallow depth of the water in the harbour. The devastation wrought by the British carrier-launched aircraft on the large Italian warships was the beginning of the rise of the power of naval aviation, over the big guns of battleships. According to Admiral Cunningham, "Taranto, and the night of November 11–12, 1940, should be remembered for ever as having shown once and for all that in the Fleet Air Arm the Navy has its most devastating weapon."

gully_raker
11-10-2013, 19:46
:D Sounds like a scenario in waiting!
Rob & Mr Kyte love Swordfish.:cheezy:

Flying Officer Kyte
11-11-2013, 00:15
:D Sounds like a scenario in waiting!
Rob & Mr Kyte love Swordfish.:cheezy:
True Baz, but as you may know I am in dire need of 1:200 scale Swordfish. No one seems to make them anymore.
Rob.:cry:

Lt. S.Kafloc
11-11-2013, 05:37
We need 1/200 swordfish for sink the Bismark/Taranto et al. Please, pretty please?

Marechallannes
11-11-2013, 14:51
We can use them for many scenarios: North Sea, Atlantic, Mediterranean theater, etc...

I like the last biplanes. :thumbsup:

Captain Chum
11-11-2013, 15:27
Ah yes, the Battle of Taranto. I believe this is the battle that the Japanese studied to aid in their attack at Pearl Harbor.

gully_raker
11-12-2013, 21:13
True Baz, but as you may know I am in dire need of 1:200 scale Swordfish. No one seems to make them anymore.
Rob.:cry:

:cheezy: May I suggest you talk to (PM) John, AKA jbmacek.
He made me a beautiful Catalina cause I said "pretty please"!

Flying Officer Kyte
11-13-2013, 01:36
Thanks Baz.
I will send him a PM.
Rob.