PDA

View Full Version : AAR: First game with the series V planes.

Marechallannes
11-04-2013, 04:03
Played a 2 vs. 2 with my gaming buddies yesterday.

Thre pilots and 4 planes. I took the command of two planes and let them choose the side.

They choosed the P-51D and the Spitfire MK.IX ...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113166&d=1381919812

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113163&d=1381919767

...and I took the FW190D-13 and the KI-84.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113157&d=1381919704

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113159&d=1381919730

The planes looked amazing on the Ares Games gaming mats! :thumbsup:

We started in front of each other at altitude 4.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116030&d=1383813506

I tried to balance the slower top speed of the KI-84 with my FW and the moment we had or first encounter the KI-84 made a sharp sideslip to the right to group tight with the Langnase.

The Allies split up and flew an attack maneuver that brought them togher again in striking distance.

Good maneuver and I'm shure if I split up too, they would have hit one of my planes alone.

FW and Spit were able to shot at each other at close distance. My FW catched a B4*/C0/C0 the Spit C0/C0/C0.:mad:

*Rudder right

(Damn, that's what Jager said: The B damage makes the day. :erk:)

Immelmans followed, but only by the Axis and the Mustang. The P51-D had a good timing and was one movement faster. My Dora catched B3/B0/B4 from the P-51D.

They wanted the German down first. :erk:

But when the Mustang made it's slow straigth it was hit by two close range shots of the KI-84 and the FW B7/C0/C6 and C5*/C3**/C6. The party was over.

*Pilot, ** Rudder left

But the brave US-Pilot finished off the FW too with a B3*/B3**/B6 and an A0 for aimimg.

*Fire, **Engine

I think you could imagine what was leftover from both planes when the fell out of the sky.;)

The following duel between the KI-84 and the Spit was interesting.

Both planes have a climb rate of 2 and especially the Spit prooved it's good curve fight abilities with the extra fast & sharp curve maneuvers it has.

An nice dance with beautiful planes and a few times we fooled each other with changing the altitude in the last minute to aviod hits. :)

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116029&d=1383813506

A dozend moves later we decided to bring in the P-51D and the FW190D again from the edge of the sides.

The Allied had an advantage because the Mustang had only 60% of the distance to the combat action then the FW.

Now I demontrated that WGS dogfight isn't always a first clash followed by Immelmanns and Split-S until the enemy falls from the sky. ;)

The KI-84 kept calm, finished a slow curve and the following stall maneuver brought me in front of the Mustang that has curved in for a position where my Jap plane would have been after an Immelmann to chase the Spitfire. I fired at him, he wasn't able to return fire. :thumbsup:

The Mustang catched a long range C/A and was a little bit angry now.

The moment the P-51D turned around, my fast FW was with a fats, normal sideslip in range and gave the US-plane another B/C in the six.

The duel was decided when the KI-84 catched a burst from the P-51D and survived it with 16 damage points:eek: (C3/A0 from the Spit - B5/A1 from the Mustang B1/B2/B3 & aim bonus A1*Rudder from the Mustang, too). So I had the chance to make an Immelman with the KI-84 and stroke the P-51D with a last short distance shot, that finished it's sortie.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116028&d=1383813506

Again the Mustang doomed his enemy too and shared out a B2/B6/B3 that raised the Jap's damage points to 27.

The FW-190 D-13 finished the job in a head-on-duel.

The Spit catched C3/C5/C0 and C3*/C8/C0 *smoke additional to an damage of A1 - from a wrong maneuver - and the 3xC0 it had from the first encounter.

It dealt out B0/C3/C0 to the FW.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116027&d=1383813506

Result:

The new WGS series V planes proved their deadliness.

It was fun to fly those beauties and on two gaming mats there was enough space to fly every maneuvers.

They are fast, so no medium bomber will escape you anymore after it released the bombs.

The KI-84 and the Spifire MK.IV used their incredible climb rate and the advantage of the Spit's extra curves. Just remember that those curves are steep. The Spit's pilot wanted to make large sideslip (steep) after such a steep special curve and was punished with an A-damage token and a straigh maneuver instead. :cheezy:

For shure the B-damage tokens make more steady damage then the C-damage tokens, but the number of damage points is equal in each set.

When flying with the four new planes, naturally more C-damage tokens were dealt out, so the Axis had better chances at the end of the battle (remember the first 3xC0 damage the Spit get :hmm:).

I'm shure, the moment when two or more Mustangs are in play, the B-damage deck favours the Allies.

If you don't like stuff like the Dewoitine D.520, Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II or the Last Biplanes, those late war planes should convince you to give WGS a try. :salute:

Marechallannes
11-04-2013, 04:16
Can anyone explain to me, why I posted this in the General Discussion area?

:brickwal:

Fortunately I placed it in the WGS section at all...

:deadhorse:

Blauer Baron
11-04-2013, 06:15
A really great introduction to the new planes!! This is well written Sven! A good straight up report. :thumbsup: (A Pulitzer prize nomination is on its way ;)).

Thomatchef
11-04-2013, 06:26
Interesting sven! I'm curious how they fly together with the slower ones... They have heavier guns but their high speed can cause them to overshoot more often I think. Tailing can become difficult this way.

Marechallannes
11-04-2013, 07:05
Thank you Kevin & Thomas.

We need to test those beauties in the future versus the slower planes, Thomas.

With the Reggiane Re.2001, KI-61 & Beaufighter we have the slower planes that fit into the timline of this late war planes perfectly.

Tailing in WGS is very difficult.

Normally if you get that close to an enemy to tail him, he's going down the next move.

I can imagine situations with the last biplanes where the planes benefit from tailing, but when a FW 190 D-13 plays a melody with 3xC damage behind you, the party is over the next turn. :erk:

Flying Officer Kyte
11-04-2013, 12:10
A very interesting AAR Sven.
I am looking forward to giving mine a try out soon, but in the meantime your description has given me food for thought. I am still coming to terms with the already issued aircraft, and adding to my knowledge of just what not to do.
Thanks for the debrief.
Rob.

Jager
11-04-2013, 12:31
Nice report, Sven; good to see you blooding your Dora, even if it got it back.
:salute:
Karl

gully_raker
11-04-2013, 22:25
:thumbsup: Thanks Sven!
Interesting to see what the new faster Aircraft can do & how they handle in a dogfight.;)

Marechallannes
11-04-2013, 22:54
Thank you comrades.

Got the WGS virus at the moment. :sick: Seems I have to buy another bunch of WW II late war planes, soon.

Nice report, Sven; good to see you blooding your Dora, even if it got it back.
:salute:
Karl

I know why they concentrate on the the Dora, Karl.

They saw a Balkenkreuz and a Jap roundel. No wonder what primary target they choosed. ;)

Nightbomber
11-05-2013, 01:47
Wow! Great first encounter, Kamerad. Congrats.
I was slightly misled by the thread title (series IV or V...?).
I hope to get my flight together this weekend to test the fast birds :p.

Marechallannes
11-05-2013, 02:32
My sharp eyed wingman.... :smack:

Corrected the headline. :salute:

Test them; Andrzej.

It's real fun. After a little warm up time my buddies become more shure in the maneuvers and we get a dynamic speed in gameplay that you only get with the WGS planes.

CappyTom
11-05-2013, 02:38
Great AAR! Thanks for sharing.
:thumbsup:
Thomas

Kaiser
11-08-2013, 11:55
Very cool :)

A fight between Reggianes and Mustangs could be interesting.

Jager
11-08-2013, 12:40
I know why they concentrate on the the Dora, Karl.

They saw a Balkenkreuz and a Jap roundel. No wonder what primary target they choosed. ;)

Maybe they thought Dora was more dangerous then Frank :slysmile:
Next time, maybe 2 Doras vs 2 Franks in a "Tomorrow the World" scenario.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7625/tomorrow-the-world
Karl

Doug
11-08-2013, 14:27
It would appear that from Sven AAR that the game has changed again into a faster mode (I know that is obvious) in the fact that you have got to be thinking out your monouvers quite a few turns ahead. I think that the speed of the game will make it much harder to game with more than 1 plane as can be done with the early WW2 where I normally game with 2 planes, but I think is all good :thumbsup:

Nightbomber
11-08-2013, 15:15
It would appear that from Sven AAR that the game has changed again into a faster mode (I know that is obvious) in the fact that you have got to be thinking out your monouvers quite a few turns ahead. I think that the speed of the game will make it much harder to game with more than 1 plane as can be done with the early WW2 where I normally game with 2 planes, but I think is all good :thumbsup:

Yeah...no matter the kind of the game I NEVER play with more than 1plane. I am the pilot and I can pilot just one plane. This game is a simulation (well, I take it for that) not a chess like game. Tried to play 2 planes F2F once and... SABENA: same bad experience never again. The only exception is our solo campaign, where dice rule the AI maneuvers.

Brambo
11-08-2013, 20:01
Great to see the new planes in action Sven, they do look good. Can't wait for mine to arrive from AA.

PonchoLatour
11-09-2013, 05:47
Nice fast-paced action there Sven, thanks! I am looking forward to acquiring these new planes for Xmas!

Naharaht
11-09-2013, 19:34
Thank you for this report. It is informative to see how the new planes handle in action. I picked up my new models today from my local games shop, so it was very appropriate.

Marechallannes
11-10-2013, 01:41
You're welcome, David.

One thing I forgot to mention is, that the new size is of the cards is neccessary for the higher speed, but it makes the arrangements of the maneuvers not easier on the table when 2 or 3 planes overlap. :surrender:

Smaller and shorter cards, are more simple to push under an airplane's base or plane card.

So gentlemen, you need more tact to handle the maneuvers on the table. ;)

PonchoLatour
11-11-2013, 07:28
Now I'm wondering how am I going to integrate my WoW series 1 Spitfires... Maneuver cards are no longer compatible :(

Flying Officer Kyte
11-11-2013, 08:24
Now I'm wondering how am I going to integrate my WoW series 1 Spitfires... Maneuver cards are no longer compatible :(

Not quite sure what you mean here Alfonso.:confused: If you are flying them at the same time, they can be used in conjunction. Both cards are still relative in speed to each other. If you want to fly the later Spit as an earlier model (heaven forbid):eek: just use an earlier deck, or print a copy off.
Maybe I just did not get what you mean, but will attempt to help if you explain a little more.
Rob..

Dom S
11-11-2013, 08:42
The old cards are still fine. The new decks have longer cards because they're for faster aircraft, not because they replace the original cards.

Marechallannes
11-11-2013, 09:33
Imagine Alfonso how long a maneuver card of a Me262 or Me163 has to be. ;)

PonchoLatour
11-13-2013, 05:20
If you are flying them at the same time, they can be used in conjunction. Both cards are still relative in speed to each other.

Ah :D Shame on me for not checking things beforehand, I can say that's not very much like me... Series 1 are Mk.I, the new ones Mk.IX! :brickwal:

Soooooo er... what's the weather like across the sea? ...

Marechallannes
11-13-2013, 05:26
No clouds and new moon.

Best weather for a night fight. ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
11-13-2013, 06:30
It's a crisp golden late Autumn afternoon here. My Wing are moving South to Bristol for a few days tomorrow, so we may be able to get a sortie in against the odd Jabo. All depends on how I feel, as the Dr. has just changed my medication and I'm feeling a bit drained at present.
Rob.

gully_raker
11-13-2013, 16:05
It's a crisp golden late Autumn afternoon here. My Wing are moving South to Bristol for a few days tomorrow, so we may be able to get a sortie in against the odd Jabo. All depends on how I feel, as the Dr. has just changed my medication and I'm feeling a bit drained at present.
Rob.

:cheezy: Nothing that a few G & T's wont fix I hope.:FOK::thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
11-14-2013, 00:03
:cheezy: Nothing that a few G & T's wont fix I hope.:FOK::thumbsup:

Tatty tangled string Baz. I can't take alcohol with this medication. I'm thinking up all the reasons I can to get him to change me back.
Kyte's gone on leave. Don't know when he's coming back.
Rob.