PDA

View Full Version : Attack on Rabaul, 11th May 1942

Lt. S.Kafloc
10-18-2013, 05:16
The start of the offending thread intentionally deleted

PonchoLatour
10-19-2013, 03:26
Great AAR! I love the game surface, very realistic. When did the Japs confiscate that balloon?

Blackronin
10-19-2013, 03:48
Excellent. I'm jealous of your ships and harbour.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-19-2013, 03:55
Velly funny Amelican swine! Great AAr. Neil. Why swine, because you are about to run me into more expense. Where oh where did you get that magnificent harbour? Just what I need for Malta and Taranto etc. Rob.

Brambo
10-19-2013, 04:14
Great AAR Neil and as Rob said, that harbour is brilliant. I noticed you said red dot up for the torpedo, what would happen if it was black dot up? Sorry not got my head around that bit yet.

Whiskysierra
10-19-2013, 04:55
Great job, looks like you guys had a lot of fun there.

Lt. S.Kafloc
10-19-2013, 07:10
The insulting part of the thread intentionally deleted

Lt. S.Kafloc
10-19-2013, 07:13
I bought the large harbour set for £14.

http://onslaughtgames.co.uk/collections/dystopian-wars/area-9-scenery

Velly funny Amelican swine! Great AAr. Neil. Why swine, because you are about to run me into more expense. Where oh where did you get that magnificent harbour? Just what I need for Malta and Taranto etc. Rob.

Caveman
10-19-2013, 09:04
That is 100% awesome! The battle map, pictures, and description, everything.

Baldrick62
10-19-2013, 13:52
Ah with Amelican and Blitish torpedo before 1940'tree no velly good. You need red dot on ship to hit and explode. You pick distance to drop, choosey red or black dot, place torpedo marker. Then evily turn after flip torpedo twice, if red dot is on ship target then torpedo go bangy (doesn't matter 1st or 2nd flip).

I have no idea which linguistic group you're trying to caricature with that, but if you are trying to insult the Japanese, the standard is that they couldn't pronounce the letter 'L' rather than 'R', which is allegedly why Australian troops used watchwords like 'Wallaby'.

Infantile, inaccurate and insulting.:(

Fortunately I don't think we have any Japanese members of this forum.

Lt. S.Kafloc
10-19-2013, 14:09
Derogatory reply intentionally deleted

Blackronin
10-19-2013, 14:22
I have no idea which linguistic group you're trying to caricature with that, but if you are trying to insult the Japanese, the standard is that they couldn't pronounce the letter 'L' rather than 'R', which is allegedly why Australian troops used watchwords like 'Wallaby'.

Really?! No need for this.
I think that people take insult very easily these days. And taking the pain of others that really didn't declare themselves insulted. Neil wasn't insulting anyone, was making a joke, the Elmer's Fudd kind of joke.
Harmless. With no offence intended.

Blackronin
10-19-2013, 15:26

Now you've done it, Rob!!
You've been insulting to North American Citizen and to ME by proxy!!
Oh!!! God of Insult!! I'm feeling terribly insulted!!!
I'm so insulted that I demand that you erase all the Monty Python videos from You Tube that were posted there from 23th February 1932 to 23th February 2011!! (The author wants to inform you that 23th February is his birthday and that he still lacks some of the more recent planes of WoG. Just sayin'... Back to the rant.) That and an abstinence of G&T for 3 months!!

Carry on, man! But do NOT erase any thing posted here please. Pretty please... :pray:

Brambo
10-20-2013, 00:08
Great AAR Neil and as Rob said, that harbour is brilliant. I noticed you said red dot up for the torpedo, what would happen if it was black dot up? Sorry not got my head around that bit yet.

Damn I've just discovered what caused all this, the question in my post. I feel sick, if I hadn't posted that question Neil wouldn't have replied to it and all this wouldn't have happened and no offence would have been caused. Please reconcile gentlemen or I will never forgive myself.

Blackronin
10-20-2013, 02:31
Oh please, Trev! Not you too.
There was nothing wrong with this post.
It was just a question of over zealous politically-correct police work.

Let's call our friend Neil back to the air and carry on as usual. Please.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-20-2013, 02:53

I appear to have inadvertently set this off by my remark to Neil made in all innocence. The quote was taken from a joke in common circulation and as far as I am concerned pokes fun at no particular group any more than Dad's Army or Hello, hello. It was a private joke between Neil and myself because at Derby I torpedoed his Carrier with my Japanese Torpedo bomber. He has now struck back in his AAr. If my remark has upset anyone I am sorry. It is certainly not worth the sacrifice of my Squadron Leader for the North of England. If Neil considers the matter without the hype and pressure of censure, I'm sure that he will reconsider that if he withdraws from the site the loss, as you have all been at pains to point out would hurt us all. I never envisaged that any comments on the site would lead to this reaction, especially as the game involves going round shooting down enemy aircraft. If a remark like the one I made offends, then maybe we had better reconsider why we are on the site at all. I will leave it at that, and will make no further comment on the matter. Rob.

David Manley
10-20-2013, 02:57
The events of the last 18 hours or so have reminded me why I hate the internet :(

Thomatchef
10-20-2013, 04:02
The events of the last 18 hours or so have reminded me why I hate the internet :(

Me too! And that is also why I prefer meeting the people like in Prague and next years Doncaster! I really hope someone can convince him to come back! I'd love to see the pictures of this AAR and hate to see all his others vanish...

Nightbomber
10-20-2013, 04:40
An unnecessary problem we have here, really. I am sure there was no insulting intention in Neil's post at all.

Casey
10-20-2013, 06:30
Humor is the essence of Life, isn't it ? Otherwise, life is sooooooooo sad !

I don't know Neil personally but I think it was not his intention to be insulting ...

As we say in France : Ahhh, the famous "British sense of humour" !

MoonSylver
10-20-2013, 08:37

Mm. This site has been wonderfully free of the type of conflict that one usually encounters in many other corners of the internet, which is the reason I hope this issue can be resolved, put behind us, & we can return to life as normal.

Humor is the essence of Life, isn't it ? Otherwise, life is sooooooooo sad !

I don't know Neil personally but I think it was not his intention to be insulting ...

:lol:

David Manley
10-20-2013, 09:17

I work extensively in NATO and one of the things my overseas chums like is for me to bring clips from Top Gear for them to watch during coffee breaks. During our meeting in Sydney I showed this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1fb_1228841071

Everyone enjoyed it, but the funny thing was the German delegate watching it with an amused grin on his face, after which he simply promounced "hmm, so British" :)

EDIT: Of course his predecessor was a mad keen John Cleese fan and found the "Don't mention the War" episode of Fawlty Towers to be his favourite. Mind you, he was from Alsace, which explained a lot..... :D

Blackronin
10-20-2013, 09:28
I work extensively in NATO and one of the things my overseas chums like is for me to bring clips from Top Gear for them to watch during coffee breaks. During our meeting in Sydney I showed this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1fb_1228841071

Everyone enjoyed it, but the funny thing was the German delegate watching it with an amused grin on his face, after which he simply promounced "hmm, so British" :)

EDIT: Of course his predecessor was a mad keen John Cleese fan and found the "Don't mention the War" episode of Fawlty Towers to be his favourite. Mind you, he was from Alsace, which explained a lot..... :D

That "Fiesta" thing was hilarious...

Guntruck
10-20-2013, 10:40
If everyone who made a humorous comment written in a silly accent felt they had to leave, the forum would lose half its members. Go through a lot of the threads and you will see the term 'hun' used for Germans, yet I can't recall any of our German members jumping up and down about it. If someone offends you that much, use the ignore button.

Neil, you bring a lot to the forum that shouldn't be overshadowed by one (depending on your point of view) offensive post, for which you have promptly and honourably apologised for. And certainly not one that you should feel that you should leave the forum altogether over.

Ah, I see in one of my posts I used the phrase "Ve haff vays off making you talk". I shall now promptly leave the forum never to return, until I have written a letter of apology to each and every German.

FFS get a grip people.

Caveman
10-20-2013, 11:55
Hmmm. How naive am I? I thought it was just another misspelling/mistyping of words that I regularly see here. With all the times I have seen the derogatory and potentially offensive words "Jap" & "Hun" used here I'm surprised that this was found to be offensive. I guess I figured people were using historical words/names that were used during the wartime periods without thinking or intending to offend. I don't approve of the use of these words, but I don't get worked up about it either.

Let bygones be bygones.

Nightbomber
10-20-2013, 12:09
If everyone who made a humorous comment written in a silly accent felt they had to leave, the forum would lose half its members. Go through a lot of the threads and you will see the term 'hun' used for Germans, yet I can't recall any of our German members jumping up and down about it. If someone offends you that much, use the ignore button.

Neil, you bring a lot to the forum that shouldn't be overshadowed by one (depending on your point of view) offensive post, for which you have promptly and honourably apologised for. And certainly not one that you should feel that you should leave the forum altogether over.

Ah, I see in one of my posts I used the phrase "Ve haff vays off making you talk". I shall now promptly leave the forum never to return, until I have written a letter of apology to each and every German.

FFS get a grip people.

Good point. We all shall assume people here are not haters who drink morning coffee typing posts just to insult others. This is a VERY special place where like minded people meet each other.
Have a drink in the mess and relax, chaps.

tikkifriend
10-21-2013, 10:06
So no one has used the classic British stereotypical pronounciation of Germans speaking English at any time in any situation in or out of the Forum ? Get real people .We are adults , the majority of us over the age of consent and I thought intelligent enough to know when a bit of friendly non racist banter was being had.:mad:
Clearly if the AAr and subsiquent replies had been of a nature which demeaned , belittled or promoted hatred towards any particular group I would be the first to call for its removal, but this :brickwal:

Following this line to the N 'th degree we must take care not to refer to, nor mimic the speach patterns of Scousers, Tykes , Northern monkeys , Paddies, Brummies or those people who live South of Watford gap in future postings .

There. Thats my 50 centimes worth
Ps Neil I'm happy and honoured to fly and have flown with you.:thumbsup:
PPS Better stop using the acronym WOG on the site incase it is mis interperated as something else.;)

Blackronin
10-21-2013, 14:28
Paul!! I'm just a dumb Portuguese. What's a Wog?!

Dom S
10-21-2013, 14:40
Wikipedia has a decent summary of the term if you really feel the need - in UK English it's a decidedly offensive racial term, and the reason why many people were less than thrilled by the adoption of the Wings of Glory name. (It's also the reason why the "official" acronyms are WGF and WGS for the two Wings of Glory games, but inevitably people don't use them, especially when referring to both games together, for which the obvious convenient acronym is, umm, less than ideal....)

Blackronin
10-21-2013, 14:57
I see. Thanks, Dom.
There's a movie called Lennie (an American comedian) where he makes an interesting and unique attack on slang.
Lenny is a 1974 American biographical film about the comedian Lenny Bruce, starring Dustin Hoffman and directed by Bob Fosse.
The answer to prejudice is not a simple one. But creating false and artificial ways to deal with it probably is another form of prejudice.
But that is a discussion for another forum.

tikkifriend
10-22-2013, 01:54
As Dom says not a nice term of phrase which happily was burried in the late 70's along with coon and other racist terms used by low life comedians on prime time TV and sit coms in the UK to our eternal shame.

Oberst Hajj
10-22-2013, 06:53
Wikipedia has a decent summary of the term if you really feel the need - in UK English it's a decidedly offensive racial term, and the reason why many people were less than thrilled by the adoption of the Wings of Glory name. (It's also the reason why the "official" acronyms are WGF and WGS for the two Wings of Glory games, but inevitably people don't use them, especially when referring to both games together, for which the obvious convenient acronym is, umm, less than ideal....)

That's why I use Wings when referring to both games. It's just two more little letters and by passes all that other stuff.