PDA

View Full Version : Replacing props

LazyEyedPsycho
09-11-2009, 11:32
Any ideas on the best material to use for replacing the static props to make the planes look like they are in flight? Anyone done this already? I'm thinking of using the clear plastic front from the packaging, but is it to thin? Thoughts? Ideas?

Charlie3
09-11-2009, 13:38
If you havent already been there go to www.fiddlersgreen.net this is a paper model site.

All the way down on the left of the home page is a tag called "props" Click on that and you will go to a page with prop circles that is a free download. They even have the blur marks.

Play with your print sizes a bit until you find a % that looks about right. Print them on clear sheet for ink jet printers, cut them out and glue them to the plane with a trimed down straight pin. I haven't done this yet but I am planning on it soon as I have lost a prop blade or two already.

P.S. check out this web site's aircraft models as they are great models and each one has a good history blurb attached to it when you click on the image. Also sign up for the 3 free models they are worth the effort.

Charlie3
09-11-2009, 16:04
Ok I've had some time to fuss with it. I copied and pasted the file into ms paint (yeah I know it stinks but its all I have) Next I clicked on print set up and changed the print size to 40% and printed the file on clear overhead projector sheeting on my ink jet printer and presto! clear prop disks. You can also add some faint color to the outside edges of the images to represent prop tip paint. Piece of cake, or is it acetate?

LazyEyedPsycho
09-15-2009, 06:56
Great! Thanks for the info. :)

Jmac
09-20-2009, 18:00
I scratch built a DR1 and used a plastic front of a report cover for my prop. I measured the prop to see it diameter than used a compass with sharp points on both sides to etch the circle. Some carefull work with an X-Acto knife and there you go.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=23&pictureid=637