PDA

View Full Version : Site: Medal Criteria Changes

7eat51
09-13-2013, 15:00
Greetings fellow members,

There are several changes that have been instituted concerning medal criteria. These changes have not affected anyone who has earned a given medal, but will affect the earning of medals from this point forward. For example, if a member has a Silver level medal for Book Reviews, the member will not lose that medal; however, the member will need to meet the new criteria for the Gold level.

The Book Review medals are now awarded for 5, 10, 15, and 20+ book reviews.

The AAR medals are now awarded for 10, 25, 50, and 100+ AARs.

The Service medals are still awarded for 1 year and 500 posts, 2 years and 1000 posts, 3 years and 1500 posts, 4 years and 2000 posts, and 5 years and 2500 posts; after the 5-year medal, a new medal will be awarded at 10+ years and 5000+ posts, the Emeritus Member medal.

The Reputation medals will be awarded for 50, 250, 500, 1000, and 2000 reputation points; at 5000+ reputation points, members will be awarded the Peer Recognition Honor medal. With the new cap at 5 points, earning 5000 will be quite the achievement.

Currently, the File Upload, Photo, and How To medals will remain the same, capped at their current highest levels.

Convention medals will be addressed within the next few days.

The additional Reputation level medals will be designed during the next month. When they are ready, an announcement will be made as to their availability, and requests/recommendations will be taken at that time.

Cheers

gully_raker
09-13-2013, 16:48
:thumbsup: Good news Eric & Kudos to you, Keith & anyone else involved.:hatsoff:

Carl_Brisgamer
09-13-2013, 18:06
Good ideas gentlemen.

It reminds me of the criteria for the award of the Pour le Merite in WW1 - in 1916 eight kills got you a Blue Max, by early 1917 it was 16 kills and then by the end of the war 20 was the accepted threshold. Always good to have an historical precedent.

clipper1801
09-13-2013, 19:48
Several dozen thumbs up! The elves use thumbs up for good and for Chocolate votes! I was getting a bit wary of wielding so many points in one effort, thanks for removing the stress!

Flying Officer Kyte
09-14-2013, 01:12
Good decisions all round. It does make the medals worth a lot more, and as Carl says there is a precident. So no more VCs for shooting down one of Clipper's Zeps.:D
Rob.

7eat51
09-18-2013, 10:07
Greetings fellow members,

Given the varied nature of conventions around the world, we will utilize the following guidelines for convention medals starting on 1 January 2014. Members who have previously been awarded convention medals will retain those medals.

Each geographical region will have three sets of convention medals - two for major conventions and one for minor conventions. Each geographical region will determine which two major conventions to award the distinctive medals. Currently, there are four geographical regions - Australia, Continental Europe, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The individuals who will oversee the member conversation and choice of the distinctive convention medals are Zoe (Zoe Brain), Andrzej (Nightbomber), Rob (Flying Officer Kyte), and Keith (Oberst Hajj), respectively. Such a system should address local convention conditions while creating an equitable system for members worldwide.

As an example of the major convention medals, the two distinctive major convention medals for the United States will be Origins and Gen-Con. The minor convention medal will be awarded to members who attend any other type of gaming convention recognized by their geographical-region community; it is a one-time award. For example, in the United States, this medal would encompass conventions such as Rock-Con and Historicon. The minor convention medal will enable a greater acknowledgment of convention participation than otherwise feasible.

Each medal will have Participant and Event GM versions, and the two distinct major convention medals will have four levels - 1 year, 2 years (with bronze star), 3 years (with silver star), and 4 or more years (with gold star). The minor convention medals will be unique for each region, but can only be earned once per each region; if folks travel to other regions and participate in a minor convention, they can be awarded that region's minor convention medal.

It is our hope that these changes will enable members to earn medals for convention activity, while maintaining a reasonable workload for the volunteers responsible for designing and maintaining the award system.

Nightbomber
09-18-2013, 10:44
Let's roll our sleeves up and get down to business. Many thanks for preparing the changes, Eric :salute:
Will PM for further details.
Andy.

diceslinger
10-10-2013, 10:01
I don't know how the heck I missed this announcement. I've updated my AAR records accordingly.

Pseudotheist
06-22-2015, 10:51
The Reputation medals will be awarded for 50, 250, 500, 1000, and 2000 reputation points; at 5000+ reputation points, members will be awarded the Peer Recognition Honor medal. With the new cap at 5 points, earning 5000 will be quite the achievement.
Did this ever actually go into effect? The medals still list the old requirements...

Flying Officer Kyte
06-22-2015, 11:13
Don't thinks so I never got anything above 500.
Rob.

milcoll73
06-22-2015, 13:57
how would one go about getting a minor con medal? i ask because i gm'd a demo game of wgf at advance the colors last year.

Tonx
06-22-2015, 19:04
how would one go about getting a minor con medal? i ask because i gm'd a demo game of wgf at advance the colors last year.

I am also interested in any recognition one may receive for public demonstrations of WGF / WGS as I have one coming up on July 4th. The only difference is that my demo is not being held at a recognised convention.

If these demo games don't quite deserve a medal maybe some recognition points may be in order or some form of status elevation or rank promotion (for instance my status currently reads that I have just completed flight school ... Could this be advanced to I have just become an instructor pilot for instance?) On condition the demo games are played as planned. Anything to acknowledge the importance of hosting a demonstration game to the general public as well as those responsible for doing so?