PDA

View Full Version : Flt Lt John Cruickshank VC

Baldrick62
09-10-2013, 11:24
Amazing story of a truly amazing man; the last surviving RAF VC winner of WWII. It must have brought back some haunting memories though.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/flt-lt-retd-cruickshank-09092013

Jager
09-10-2013, 11:34
Serious heroism there.
:salute:
Thanks for sharing this, Baldrick.
Karl

gully_raker
09-10-2013, 21:26
:salute: Now there is a man who richly deserved his VC.:medal:
What an incredably brave preformance.:thumbsup:

csadn
09-11-2013, 13:13
I'm noticing: If the bomb-releases had worked properly the first time, he'd never have received his VC....

richard m schwab
09-11-2013, 17:55
Balders

That is an amazing story. The VC was justly deserved! Thank you for finding and posting it. Any idea how many holders of the VC from WW2 survive today?

Rich

AlgyLacey
09-12-2013, 00:32
I'm noticing: If the bomb-releases had worked properly the first time, he'd never have received his VC....

And if Norman Jackson VCs wing hadn't caught fire he'd never have had to climb out onto the plane to beat it out with his hands....If Arthur Aaron VC hadn't been wounded he wouldn't have needed to sacrifice his chance of survival on landing a damaged Stirling...If Anderson and Mitchell hadn't been hit in the fuel tank then Miitchell wouldn't have had to climb out of his cockpit onto the wing of a DH9 and plug the hole with his thumb! - and that just got him a DSO despite their landing to pick up Elliott and his backsteater who had been shot down.

Chris. Stop talking wonk and get the round in.

flash
09-12-2013, 01:59
Not forgetting Sergeant Pilot James Allen Wards VC for firefighting on the wing of a Wimpey over enemy territory - surprised he could get back through the astro hatch with cajones that big ! :salute:

Baldrick62
09-12-2013, 08:14
Of the 181 recipients of the Victoria Cross in WWII, including 1 VC + Bar, it appears that John Cruickshank VC is the last survivor of that magnificent generation to whom we owe such a debt of gratitude and respect. Of the 182 awards, 85 were given posthumously, and about 1/3 of the remainder didn't survive the war.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-12-2013, 11:52
:eek:All one can really say in the presence of such men is:FOK::salute::hatsoff:
Rob.

csadn
09-12-2013, 14:34
Stop talking wonk and get the round in.

"Wonk"? Bombs release the first time, maybe he doesn't have to make a second pass on which the Germans are ready and waiting for him.

Or are you suggesting I'm speculating on the competence of the crew (which, you'll notice, I didn't)?

As was pointed out: Most medals get awarded not when things go perfectly, but when things drop in the s***ter -- you think Audie Murphy was having a quiet day when he got his MH? *That's* the point I was making -- things go right, it's "just another day at the office"; things go wrong....

richard m schwab
09-13-2013, 14:13
Balders

That is a sad statistic. I found only a list of ten surviving WW2 recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor. The oldest is 96 the youngest 88.

Rich