PDA

View Full Version : Choose your war.

Oberst Hajj
09-11-2009, 04:14
Which version of the game do you like to play the most?

WilliamBarkerVC
09-11-2009, 11:19
I picked WW1, as I haven't played WW2 yet, despite having picked up the minis now. I was supposed to get a game in last night, but my dog had to have a vet stay for the day, and I had to pick her up later. Next week, perhaps.

I still like the WW1, though...

LazyEyedPsycho
09-11-2009, 11:38
WWI all the way! Something about flying around and dogfighting in wood and canvas "crates"... Without a parachute... Just says B.A. to me. Plus the planes are far more colourful. :D

Setarius
09-11-2009, 15:04
I like the WWI version of this game best, so far. Primary reason is the maneuverability of the planes is better than the WWII version, per movement turn. And I owned a copy of Dawn Patrol and Dogfight before I ever fought with anything from WWII.
And yes the planes were more colorful and therefore had more personality, as well as the pilots having more personality and being better known by their reputations. I mean. how many people can name 5 Aces from WWII without looking at or for their game. I can't. If I had to think about it I probably could not have named 5 Aces from WWI before I got the game either but, everyone knew of the Red Baron. And yes thanks to modern television from the '90s we all knew about "Pappy" Boyington.
Still the idea of flying around surrounded by 2x4's or even 2x6's and canvas and being shot at by someone sends a bigger chill and thrill up my spine than being surrounded by tin or sheet metal and having someone shoot at you.
That's okay though, the Stuka's are coming.

Charlie3
09-11-2009, 16:20
While I really like the WWI game I just test flew the WWII game and I'm not too sure I like the fist full of counters you have to use for fast and slow as well as damage. However your time in the air can be very short when you take damage so you may not be juggling them long. I have to admit that I don't care for the 2 card system even though it simulates the higher speed of these planes well. It is still easier to use than the Mustangs! rules that I have been using for years to play WWII aircraft games, so I will be buying this one too!

Roger Wilco
09-12-2009, 16:00
I find it hard to choose between the two as both versions are brilliant in their own ways, but WW2 has more scope for miniature play for me and my group, as the range of models in 1/144 scale is vastly superior and the gameplay is a bit more intense. But then the WW1 version has a slightly higher fun element. Going by my monetary investment in each game, WW2 wins by a nose.;)

Hjortfot
09-13-2009, 04:29
I introduced the game for a friend and we could choose between WWI or WWII, WWI came with deluxe but we still choose WWI even if WWII would have a deluxe set.

There is something with these guys in there machine made of cloth and wire and wooden stakes and jamming machineguns and syncronised proppellers...

It´s a superb game and you really become one with your plane.

Over and out.

Kiwi_Ace
09-13-2009, 08:56
in a way this is an unfair question because the WWI mini's have been out for ages whereas the WWII ones r just hitting the stores here in New Zealand.
in my local city Flames of War is quite popular so im predicting a big upswing in WWII junkies joining the WWII camp for wings of war, much like the WWI version, its the mini's that will attract new players to the game and the the gameplay and scope for creative/original/historic campaign missions that will help grow the WWII version.

I love WWI right now but can see a shift in popularity to the WWII version as more playgroups trial the new mini's in WWII scenario's.

WilliamBarkerVC
09-13-2009, 13:19
in a way this is an unfair question because the WWI mini's have been out for ages whereas the WWII ones r just hitting the stores here in New Zealand.
in my local city Flames of War is quite popular so im predicting a big upswing in WWII junkies joining the WWII camp for wings of war, much like the WWI version, its the mini's that will attract new players to the game and the the gameplay and scope for creative/original/historic campaign missions that will help grow the WWII version.

I love WWI right now but can see a shift in popularity to the WWII version as more playgroups trial the new mini's in WWII scenario's.

I think that might be true, but the games play so differently, the WW2 version seems faster and more brutal with the damage chits, but the WW1 version holds the romantic feel of the earlier period.

Someone earlier mentioned the cult status of many of the WW1 aces - Bishop, Ball, Hawker, Barker, McCudden, Collishaw, Mannock, Udet, Immelman, Boelcke, Richtofen. The list goes on and on, they are among even amateur history buffs the names of legend and evoke the age of the Knights of the Sky.

The WW2 aces, while no means any less "important" somehow haven't captured the imagination as much.

aarondpjames
09-19-2009, 05:44
Although I've spent more time playing WOW, and have more WW1 minis than WW2, I voted for DOW as I've spent loads to time collecting and painting my 1:144 scale WW2 minis for a campaine I recently played.

rkhlegacy
09-22-2009, 09:41
WWI takes the cake for me since it is the begining of all air combat. I love the WWII version also but I have to go with the orginal wow since it sunk its claws into me first!

Greywolf
10-08-2009, 03:28
I will be mainly playing the WWII theater but since talking to few of the lads on here will also get some WWI stuff as well.

Cheers
GW

Zeppelin
10-09-2009, 15:35
WW1 for me but will play WW2.

Oberst Hajj
10-09-2009, 22:11
As you all know, I'm a big WWI player. However, as more minis come out for WWII, I'll be getting more and more into that one!

Sofia Lopes
10-17-2009, 02:23
Hello,

I think that WWI is more playable, the airplanes more equal and more colorful and we have still many think to look for.

Bye

LewdDude
10-20-2009, 13:59
I chose WWI, but I love WWII just as much, except I will not play the WoW WWII until they issue a P40 mini!!!!

The Blue Baron
11-02-2009, 00:38
I chose the WWI version. I love theese colouful biplanes...

Jureweah
11-14-2009, 08:22
Ummm... Hard to choose. It depends on the degree of complexity that you like. I agree that WWI is more playable but WWII is more tactical.

I believe that in my group the WWI works better, at least at the moment as beginners.

In addition, the miniatures of the biplanes are nicer.

WWI.

Pseudotheist
12-01-2009, 05:40
I used to be a big WWII aviation nut, but I don't think I can abandon the WWI game now, considering at last count I had about 50 of the minis (which is awesome, since they've only released 36...).

Eliminator
12-02-2009, 17:57
i like both sets but there is a certain mystic about pilots who went up in canvass and wire airplanes...(with no parachute).......also it's the colorful planes of that era.....i don't know, but just keep on kicking them out into the market and i'll keep buying them....allen

Cujo8-1
12-21-2009, 05:55
I really enjoy playing WWI. I will play some WWII in the future (I have the first box and some minis), but my preference is overwhelmingly with Wings of War and its available minis.

odobenus
12-21-2009, 14:51
Still enjoying the WWI with those "Magnificent men in their flying machines" ;) but waiting for Hurricanes minis to build No. 310 Czechoslovak Squadron for WWII Battle of Britain :)

Doug
12-22-2009, 01:59
I like playing the WW1 game as the aircraft facinate me. However having said that my sons like both games.

IRM
12-22-2009, 03:07
Got to be WW1, WW2 doesn't have the same atmosphere.

Dimetri1
01-03-2010, 16:55
WWI, I do not care for the WWII game.

SgtWaka
02-25-2010, 15:34
I'm still exclusively WWI, but that will change. I still have about 12 planes to get from WWI. Plus there are the balloons coming and then there will be the Bombers. I will get to WWII eventually, if for nothing else but to collect them, but i love the WWI birdies.:D

sparty
02-25-2010, 15:46
I'm all about the WW1 theme.

There are about 5000 WW2 games out there from tactical games like ASL to Strategic games like Axis & Allies with topics ranging from sub-warfare to espionage and everything else under the sun.

WW1 seems fresher and more exciting in many ways. The whole concept that this was the first large scale aerial war is incredible in many ways. I guess I love it in the same way I love anything to do with the American "Old West." The personalities are bigger and better because they were the first. It's fun to get inside their heads and see what made them daring and courageous.

Arendal
02-27-2010, 12:15
I love WWII planes...

Ookami
03-30-2010, 12:04
Well then,
I own both variants but I only tested the WWII version once.

Okay playing for one week now is not a long period. From the aircraft I would like to have a greater range for WWII, I miss the Mustung, the Lighting, the Zero, maybe the choise for the Boxed game wasn´t lucky..... we will see.

Kungfuhustler
04-20-2010, 23:42
TAKE THAT Dawn of war!

Adragan
04-21-2010, 00:43
I'm with DOW.. Its true that WWI was the begining of air combats and the begining of the Lagends.. but i prefere WWII (Maybe because i studied it more)

And i choose WWII out of the modern days.. WWI it's more "primitive", Modern days are more "advanced", i allways think that in that time, human and machine had to be the esence for a mision.. in old times, it only was the human.. and now.. practicaly its all machines.. i don't "like" both.. thats why i choose WWII

flash
05-29-2010, 08:34
WW1 for me - something about that era just appeals to me - open cockpits; iron sights; no chute.. marvellous madness !

richard m schwab
05-29-2010, 09:55
I have undergone the kullanar and purged myself of all WOW affliction.:) I like the faster pace.

Rich

Flying Officer Kyte
06-01-2010, 04:44
Looks like you got a pretty conclusive answer Col.
Or are the WW2 boys just too busy flying sorties to have time to answer? Let's resurrect the thread and see if it has any effect.
Rob.

Guntruck
06-02-2010, 01:18
On balance, It's got to be WW1 for me as I have always been interested in this period, however anything that involves wings and a fan on the front (or back) gets my vote.

As said above, there is more choice of WW2 aircraft at smaller scales so I can see the attraction in doing DoW over WW1.

RBREE
06-09-2010, 09:59
I picked up WWII first and had it for about 10 months before getting WWI and find I like the WWI system a bit better even though I prefer the WWII planes.

Attila57
07-17-2010, 09:14
I chose WWI version. I like old planes of this war.

Olt^Jones
07-17-2010, 10:59
NOOOOOOO!!!!! what an insane poll!!!

i love to play BOTH. we NEED a third option: "i play WWI and WWII either"

i cannot vote 'cause i really like them both.

Galland
07-18-2010, 20:02
I know....

I would liked the 3rt option...

Rut Im looking that The WWI sistem ys some times more funy and enjoiable in big numbers
Meanwile, the DOW sistem is short of expacions, with only 2 sets and 2 boxes.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-19-2010, 00:01
Two weeks later and it's still WW1. by a short head. :rolleyes:
Rob.

Bruce
07-19-2010, 21:12
WW I. No hesitation.

gogol
07-24-2010, 22:07
i'm a ww2 addict so i bought DoW but i miss the bombers and the F4U "corsair" for boyington :)
now i ll try ww1 and i think ww1 miniatures are really more cute !
(also, it must have been fun to use hands to drop bombs lol)

Also,someone above talks about the 2 cards system, isnt it used for ww1 game too ?

Monticus
07-25-2010, 01:12
As much as I am into WW2, there is something about all that wood and canvas. I'm sure I will move into the WW2 version at some stage, but for now Wings of War is all I need. I can remember back in the early 90's lan gaming 'Knights of the Sky' on Amiga 500's taking turns to shoot each others bi-planes out of the sky.

But once I do get my hands on Dawn of War, a few F-4U's and someone to shoot down I'm sure I will be lost to that.

Galland
07-25-2010, 09:01
i'm a ww2 addict so i bought DoW but i miss the bombers and the F4U "corsair" for boyington :)
now i ll try ww1 and i think ww1 miniatures are really more cute !
(also, it must have been fun to use hands to drop bombs lol)

Also,someone above talks about the 2 cards system, isnt it used for ww1 game too ?

The WWI sistem uses 3 cards..

The oother diference is that you dont take other card from the deck until you use the 3 you already selected..

Im waiting for some 190´s I love this plane!

Willi Von Klugermann
07-25-2010, 10:20
WWI for me....I was always fascinated by those planes.

OWO
07-26-2010, 11:42
Mejor el juego de la ww1. Mayor tiempo de supervivencia :) y más intuitivo. Mi voto es para WW1: Los aviones, los ases, la caballerosidad en la pelea, la ambientación y la locura de combatir a los mandos de cafeteras con alas ¡¡Fantástico!!

WWI, always.

Galland
07-26-2010, 21:40
Nice...

Pero me parece que somos pocos los que hablamos el español....

Mejor el juego de la ww1. Mayor tiempo de supervivencia y más intuitivo. Mi voto es para WW1: Los aviones, los ases, la caballerosidad en la pelea, la ambientación y la locura de combatir a los mandos de cafeteras con alas ¡¡Fantástico!!

Beter the WW1 game. More survival time and more intuitive. My vote goes to WWI: the planes, the ases, the chivalry in the fights, the atmosphere and the "craizyness of fight ant the control of coofe makers (an exprecion of piece of junk) with wings!! Fantastic!

Olt^Jones
07-27-2010, 00:32
Nice...

Pero me parece que somos pocos los que hablamos el español....

Beter the WW1 game. More survival time and more intuitive. My vote goes to WWI: the planes, the ases, the chivalry in the fights, the atmosphere and the "craizyness of fight ant the control of coofe makers (an exprecion of piece of junk) with wings!! Fantastic!
Thanks for the translation Mathias :D

OWO
07-27-2010, 06:08
thank you, Galland. Next time I'll try to write in english (I`ll tell my wife that she helps me).

Sorry, friends. See you soon.

ara398
07-27-2010, 07:28
Evening gentlemen (and ladies),

Scrolling through these posts, there seems to be a feeling that DoW is more complex (naturally) than WoW, but the latter is more attractive and 'fun'

Has anyone attempted using WoW movement decks/rules with DoW minis/plane cards? (blasphemous idea I know, but it's late and I'm probably delirious with lack of sleep!)

Just something to mull over.

Adrian

Galland
07-28-2010, 06:50
not yet!
We started few months ago, so we have too much rule implementation yet..

Aero825
08-29-2010, 09:51
Personally, I couldn't care less about WWII. WWI is complicated enough! WWI. Period. Case closesd.

Hunter

swarbs
08-29-2010, 18:24
If I'd started when the game came out originally, I bet I'd be a WWI hold-out. I've got the boxed sets for each (save flight of the giants) and think I prefer WWII just because they're the aircraft I grew up building models of as a kid. The systems are different enough that rather than preferring one over the other, I like getting the flavor of each.

leadpusher
08-30-2010, 20:43
I've got to admit that the WW1 planes were much more colourful than the WW2 ones. But with that said both games are fun to play. Although the mechanics are very similiar, they do indeed play differently. The first time we play DoW we spent most of the time boring holes in the sky ( we played with one plane each).

Von Rotherham
09-27-2010, 03:18
World War One all the way for me. It's what got me interested in WoW in the first place, searching for a good set of WW1 Aircraft rules. The last ones I used were Paragon's Miniatures set.

wargamer
11-12-2010, 02:59
Only started recently, but my decision of WW1 was availability at first, then looking at the miniatures available for both. And find it hard to beleive that the WW2 stuff was in a different scale.

Since I found the old SPI game Air War to be only moderately difficult, both the WOW and DOW are good beer and pretzel type games. Fun and easy to play and easy with newbies.

But I prefer the scales to match and based on the release of new product, I will stick with just one rather than squander years waiting for a second game to produce more miniatures.

The Cowman
11-12-2010, 10:15
WWI all the way... for now. ;):D

MayorJim
11-12-2010, 11:55
This post has been going on for a while and I suspect that the question will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. However, even though I own both WoW and Dow components, I like WoW the best. The reason follows most of the other responder's. I like the colorful aircraft, the manueverability in close, the scale, the time period (I try to specialize in 19th century...but this is close enough), and the general "romanticism" of the WWI airwar. Additionally, WoW seems a little more playable than DoW...try doing a DoW scenario where you need to rescue the downed pilot. Not impossible, but more difficult. WoW also seems more personable.

It's kind of like, I own a BMW and an MGB...which is more "fun" to drive? The MG, while cantankerous, is a lot more of a "seat of the pants" drive than the BMer. Both have their place...but I prefer the WoW MG :)

pistonpopper
11-23-2010, 19:00
Bought the WW2 version first, didn't care too much for it. Then started to buy the minis, And can't stop!!! Just like the ease of play that the WW1 has to offer. Joe

RonaldRS
11-24-2010, 07:53
we started out plaing the ww2 game frist it fun. but we got in to the ww1 stuff the game is ez to play and the plane's are cool looking :)

jhary
05-25-2011, 05:52
As some on in the beginning said unfair but I go more for WW2.

Nightbomber
05-25-2011, 07:17
I like the WWI version of this game best, so far. Primary reason is the maneuverability of the planes is better than the WWII version, per movement turn. And I owned a copy of Dawn Patrol and Dogfight before I ever fought with anything from WWII.
And yes the planes were more colorful and therefore had more personality, as well as the pilots having more personality and being better known by their reputations. I mean. how many people can name 5 Aces from WWII without looking at or for their game. I can't. If I had to think about it I probably could not have named 5 Aces from WWI before I got the game either but, everyone knew of the Red Baron. And yes thanks to modern television from the '90s we all knew about "Pappy" Boyington.
Still the idea of flying around surrounded by 2x4's or even 2x6's and canvas and being shot at by someone sends a bigger chill and thrill up my spine than being surrounded by tin or sheet metal and having someone shoot at you.
That's okay though, the Stuka's are coming.

I completely agree with Setarius. The planes of WWI are really eyecandy plus the airmen were (sometimes) gallant and there was no place for such hate, anger and ideological obsession behind flying like 25 years later. Or maybe it's a flow of time that makes me think that way... A kill was always a kill.

g.paoletti
05-26-2011, 03:11
I like playing with both periods ... but WWII is what I like the most.

IMO WWI planes were flying machines used as weapons, WWII planes were designed to be real weapons.

G.

gully_raker
05-26-2011, 19:21
WW1 for me chaps! Been facinated with it since I saw Dawn Patrol with Errol Flynn & David Niven when I was in my teens & then ALL those Biggles Books! :thumbsup:

Bartman
05-26-2011, 19:33
I answered WWI for a lot of reasons, but primarily because I think the period was just so fascinating. I got into the game because of the WWI miniatures and have exclusively played the WWI version.

That being said, I love the WWII era too and having enjoyed this game so much I took the plunge and ordered the entire WWII miniatures line, and having read through the rules several times, I am anxious to get some games in of this version and see how different it feels. The speed mechanic looks particularly interesting.

Plus USMC aviation makes its first combat impacts :thumbsup:

Albert Ross
05-31-2011, 10:51
I was supposed to get a game in last night, but my dog had to have a vet stay for the day, and I had to pick her up later.

'The dog ate my game' is no excuse! :)

Redwolf
05-31-2011, 10:55
like the WWI aircraft but much prefere the challenge of WWII

grumpybear
10-06-2014, 15:45
WW1 for me , have WW2 planes no one to play with

OldGuy59
10-06-2014, 18:46
Should we rerun this poll?

Teaticket
10-06-2014, 19:14
Should we rerun this poll?

There would probably be a larger response since its been 5 years when this pole was posted. I imagine the membership has grown considerably since then.

Jager
12-25-2017, 02:17
If we do, We'll have to have a "Both" option, and maybe "And others too".
Karl

Flying Officer Kyte
12-25-2017, 09:05
Even though I enjoy WW2 I will still have to say WWI has my heart.
Rob.

Nightbomber
12-25-2017, 09:18
Rob.

My point exactly, but in WoG terms WGS is a bit better due to better aircraft handling.

Teaticket
12-25-2017, 09:30
Rob.

I wholeheartedly agree. When I started I was 100% WWI but have been sliding more to equilibrium when running games at shows. There are too many battles and campaigns I'd like to play out. WWI is still my personal favorite.

Jager
12-25-2017, 10:31
My point exactly, but in WoG terms WGS is a bit better due to better aircraft handling.

Now that I have to disagree with, my dear Wingman. I think that the feel of the game is better with WGF; while you have
two speeds in WGS, without any game mechanic for energy, there is a lot lacking in WGS.
That said, I'll play both.
Karl

OldGuy59
12-25-2017, 12:15
We need a new poll.

It would be interesting to make voters choose one only (most fav). But, there are now three versions, and possibly four (Post-WWII?). Maybe a two option poll, with a main choice, and a second, wider, option (including the same, single game chosen above, more than one version, up to all versions?).

Looking at the initial results, if it is still valid, I can see the supply issue for the WWII version from Ares Games point of view. If eighty present of their sales is to WWI players, that is explanation enough for postponing WWII releases.

Hmmm... But.... Ares is releasing BoB bombers, to cover that theatre better, now. Is this a sign that other theatres will get a similar treatment in the future? One could hope. Although, I could see some individuals go off the deep end if Ares decided to do the Mediterranean Theatre before the Pacific ( and being an Italian company, with the SM.79 coming out, I could see that).

THECCRICH
12-25-2017, 12:31
I can see I am outnumbered almost 4 to 1 but ever since I began WWII have not been able to play WWI...

fast.git
12-25-2017, 19:55
I'll play both.

Well said. :sAprvd: Never seem to get WGS to the table, but will play if a game breaks out...

Carl_Brisgamer
12-30-2017, 17:01
If we do, We'll have to have a "Both" option, and maybe "And others too".
Karl

I ran a similar poll in 2012 - https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?10562-How-do-you-take-your-Wings-of-Glory

The results were:

The poll is now over with 60 votes, breakdown as follows:

70% prefer to play WGF (42)

40% play WGF only (24)

11.7% prefer WGS (7)

6.7% play WGS only (4)

15% play both WGF and WGS without preference (9)

3.3% don't play but enjoy the game in their own ways (modelling, collecting, etc) (2)

I think Mike is right though, it must be time for another poll.

OldGuy59
12-30-2017, 17:21
I ran a similar poll in 2012 - https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?10562-How-do-you-take-your-Wings-of-Glory

The results were:

The poll is now over with 60 votes, breakdown as follows:

70% prefer to play WGF (42)

40% play WGF only (24)

11.7% prefer WGS (7)

6.7% play WGS only (4)

15% play both WGF and WGS without preference (9)

3.3% don't play but enjoy the game in their own ways (modelling, collecting, etc) (2)

I think Mike is right though, it must be time for another poll.

I had just joined the Forum when this poll was run. So, I probably didn't vote. If I did, it was most likely only WWF.

Hedeby
12-31-2017, 03:33
I did dabble with WW2 but sold everything to fund more WW1. Not saying the WW2 version isn't a great game, it is - I just couldn't afford to do both

tikkifriend
12-31-2017, 10:42
I did dabble with WW2 but sold everything to fund more WW1. Not saying the WW2 version isn't a great game, it is - I just couldn't afford to do both

Thats just so you could afford the extra guns on your Bristols Ooh matron :)

BobP
02-02-2018, 14:28
I voted WWII but started at the beginning when the game first came out. Lately have been playing more WWII and adding AIM models to my forces. Also have a large number of 1/144 WWII planes. At the Williamsburg Muster in 2 weeks we are doing a game "Soccer War" which was the last time piston fighters fought each other. Looks like Corsairs vs P-51's. Rich S is the one running the game so I know it will be a good one.

Naharaht
02-06-2018, 22:24
WGF is easier to teach to beginners and is more colourful, so I have been involved in more WW1 battles. However, I find the idea of a big Battle of Britain encounter very appealing.

Tokhuah
02-08-2018, 17:15
I voted based on which war had the most action in the Pacific. :cheezy: