PDA

View Full Version : B-25 pictures

The G Dog
09-04-2013, 18:13
For those of you fielding B-25, here's a link to the photographs I took back in 2010 during the Dolittle Raider reunion held at the National Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, Ohio.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=2514

Enjoy!

CappyTom
09-05-2013, 02:50
Great photos, thanks for sharing.
:thumbsup:
Thomas

grumpybear
09-05-2013, 03:07
Very nice pic's like the nose art

csadn
09-05-2013, 15:01
Going out on a limb here: The B-25 was the best overall twin-engine bomber of the war. The Mosquito gets all the press; but the Mitchell was used everywhere, by everyone, and did just about everything at one time or another.

Jager
09-05-2013, 15:37
Going out on a limb here: The B-25 was the best overall twin-engine bomber of the war. The Mosquito gets all the press; but the Mitchell was used everywhere, by everyone, and did just about everything at one time or another.

I can agree with that. While I personally like the B-26 more, the B-25 was used more widely, so yes.
Karl

csadn
09-06-2013, 14:29
I can agree with that. While I personally like the B-26 more, the B-25 was used more widely, so yes.
Karl

The Marauder was nice -- but any unit with names like "Baltimore Whore" or "Flying Prostitute" (wings so short, "it had no visible means of support") is going to lose points.

DH98s were effective, and even did a job the B-25 didn't (night fighter); but they were Europe-only; it took a while for Mossies to deploy to the Pacific, and once there, upkeep proved difficult-bordering-on-impossible (high humidity did bad things to the wood, and getting parts for the high-po engines was a nightmare). Not to mention: The Mosquito's preferred "tactic" consisted of "running away really fast".

The Ju88 was nice, as well; but eight of them could not defeat a Short Sunderland on three engines, which illustrates its great failing -- too many guns, none of which could be used together.

The Tupolev Tu-2 comes a very close second to the -25; if the Soviets had shared them with the West, or deployed a few to the Far East before '45, it might well score over the -25. The Petlyakov Pe-2 has the same problem as the Ju88: Hopelessly inadequate firepower for the job.

Smitch
09-06-2013, 16:41
Thanks for the photos, Ray. I've been fortunate to attend several of the Doolittle Raider events at the NMUSAF. At the 2006 Raider Reunion I attended a book-signing and got a book on the Raid signed by four surviving Raiders (two of whom have since passed). At the 2012 event I watched a dozen B-25s do a fly-over, which was quite a sight (and sound). I've always loved the B-25.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-07-2013, 07:19
:clap: Great set of pictures Ray.
Thanks for posting them.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-07-2013, 08:50
Nice pics Ray. Are they still having the last re-union next year or was this year the last?

gully_raker
09-07-2013, 18:00
:thumbsup: Wonderful collection of B-25 Photos Ray especially the Nose Art ones & the close uop of "Devil Dogs" Gun nest!;)

richard m schwab
09-08-2013, 17:08
Ray

Thank you for sharing!

Rich