PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Italian Roundels

Steve
06-29-2010, 11:58
I recently tried to order Italian Roundel decals from Dom's Decals. He is out of stock and apparently these are out of print, hopefully temporarily but he could not fill my order. I really like what Dom produces, he does great work. Since these are not currently in production, does anyone have spare Italian roundel decals they would sell, or know someone that sells Dom's decals that have these in stock. I need the ones that have an outer red circle, a white middle circle and a green inner circle. The I-94 version has a green outer circle with a red interior so those won't work. I'm trying to finish a repaint of Calabria's SPAD XIII.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

IRM
06-29-2010, 12:36
Skytrex do them, but unfortunately for you they have the green outside circle. You could get some of their French roundels and repaint the innermost circle green.

NeilCFord
06-29-2010, 12:52
Might you be able to scavenge what you need from this decal sheet?

http://www.tin-soldier.com/HD-1.htm

- Neil.

Steve
06-29-2010, 14:20
That's certainly a good possibility. If no one has any to trade, I'll likely order that sheet.

Thanks

Guntruck
06-29-2010, 14:33
Have you had a look at I-94 decals, sheet AL-102? This is a mixed allied set, and has 5 pairs of diferent size Italian roundels, red circle out.

I would suggest that these might be a better option to the Reviresco sheet, as you won't have to separate them from the rest of the wing decal.

Steve
06-29-2010, 15:35
I may be mistaken but I believe AL-102 has British roundels on it and not Italian, I would have to paint the inside circle green. This is also a possibility.

Thanks
Steve

NeilCFord
06-29-2010, 16:14
Found another possibility:

Italian Air Force Roundel Current - Decal Multipack
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/becc-military-aircraft-decals.html

Most of them look too big, but there might be some the right size.

Hope that helps.

- Neil.

NeilCFord
06-29-2010, 16:20
One last option: Google for "Italian roundels decals"

This bought up a couple of sites that say they stock Dom's products. You might find someone who has stock of what you need.

- Neil.

NeilCFord
06-29-2010, 16:58
Did a little bit of research and it would appear that the markings on the cards in the box may be wrong.

From http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/it%5Eair.html#over

According to [cos98], until 1914 it used the arms of Savoy on tail as its marking. [cos98] also report that in 1914 it started to use roundels of (inside out) red-white-green (opposite colors of today) with vertical rudder stripes of green-white red. It also report that roundels were not alawys used and most planes used only rudder stripes charged with the arms of Savoy. See also <www.aeronautica.difesa.it/galVelSto4964-2.jpg> and <www.aeronautica.difesa.it/galVelsto4936-2.jpg>
However, Insignia report that Between August 1914 and July 1915, Aeronautica del Regio Esercito (as it called then) used official national markings of the Black so-called 'circle and stripe' (Black ring and black diagonal stripe) - see <www.insigniamag.com/ita18.html>.

I haven't yet found a reliable picture, but the above text would seem to indicate that the decal I-94 supply is correct and that the one you are looking for is actually far more modern.

My interest in now piqued, so I'm going to do some more research tomorrow (seeing as it's nearly 1am here ;) )

- Neil.

Steve
06-29-2010, 17:28
Thanks everyone, you have given me some good options. Neil, please let me know what you turn up. I was using Osprey's Italian Aces of World War 1 as a guide. It shows what appears to be the SPAD XIII in the cards. On the side of the plane, it has a black skull and crossbones next to an Italian roundel with the red ring on the outside and green circle in the center. If you have access to a copy, its on page 55. The wing roundels appear to be painted over on the card, but another picture on page 91 of Osprey shows the plane with roundels on the wings. These may actually be painted over or faded, but in the photo its hard to tell for sure. My plan was to match the paint job to the card. The repaints I have done so far have all been cards included in either the boxes or the expansion card sets, so hopefully the card is correct.

Thanks again.
Steve

Guntruck
06-30-2010, 01:18
I may be mistaken but I believe AL-102 has British roundels on it and not Italian, I would have to paint the inside circle green. This is also a possibility.

Thanks
Steve

Yes, it has British roundels. It also has two types of American roundels and one type of Italian roundels at the bottom. The image from I-94s website isn't all that good, but trust me, those are Italian markings down the bottom. These seem to be exactly what you were asking for in your original post - pack AL-103 has markings with green outer rings.