PDA

View Full Version : The next generation.

Flying Officer Kyte
08-22-2013, 09:00
Whispering death.

It was a sultry afternoon in the Kentish hop fields as the groups of pickers looked up at the sound of Aero engines. The more knowledgeable members amongst them recognised the aircraft for a Bristol Beaufighter, not simply by its silhouette, but because of the muted sound of its engines as it passed overhead in the cloudless sky.
The pickers had just decided that it was indeed “one of ours” and had recommenced their tasks, when an altogether different sound assailed their well attuned ears.
That was the drone of a Hun marauder for certain, the wavering sound of its engines being so distinctly different from that of the British machine.
As they once more turned their gaze upon the skies, an epic encounter was about to unfold above them.
The Beaufighter pilot obviously oblivious to the danger bearing down upon him continued to wend his way West, until the rattle of machinegun and cannon fire alerted him to the deadly Me 110 diving from above.

A nasty jolt to his right arm as a bullet grazed the radius soon brought him to his senses, and like lightening he threw his machine into an Immelmann turn, and repeating the manoeuvre, came right back at the German pilot who had just commenced to turn after him.

This time the jack boot was on the other foot, and the onlookers on the ground got a grandstand view of what they had expected to be a tragedy turned upon its head in a matter of seconds.
The Beaufighter, catching the Me 110 crossing its bows, opened up with everything it had, damaging its tail in a withering fire.

As it closed to short range, the damage got worse, as cannon fire added its weight to the fast disintegrating rear of the German machine.

Shaken by the fusillade of fire power the return fire from the Me’s rear gunner was ineffectual to say the least.
Banking lazily behind the wounded aircraft the Bristol pilot delivered the coup de Grasse to the stricken bird.
More tail damage rendered the aircraft unmanageable and with oily smoke billowing from its port engine, two parachutes blossomed in the blue.
The aircraft, performed a gentle side slip, and then in an increasingly steep dive buried itself, where many more of its kind were destined to lie, in the Hop Fields of Kent.

After a muted cheer, the hop pickers grabbed any farm implement to hand, and set out across the field to where it looked as if the German parachutes would finally descend.
As he nursed his aching arm, and headed back toward his Aerodrome, young Flt Lt. John Perry reflected on what his father, Wing Commander John Perry would have to say about his sons first kill in his Whispering Death.

This little scenario is dedicated to the memory of Flying Officer John Perry. (Beaufighter pilot) who was my Dad's best friend and also the Best Man at his wedding.

You will hear more of his exploits anon.

Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
08-22-2013, 09:47
A nice end to a great AAR Rob. Is the AAR historical or one you've put together yourself? Either way a fantastic battle if a trifle short. Just shows how this magnificent aircraft lived up to its nickname. Is there a biography anywhere on the web about FO John Perry?

Flying Officer Kyte
08-22-2013, 10:58
I have nothing that I can find on him. All that I know is gleaned from what my Dad said and a couple of photos in his album.
One of Mum and Dad's wedding in '42. The one I have posted and one of him in civvies.

The only other info is that he crashed and died after getting his observer to bail out. He stayed with the aircraft in order to clear a school building.
I did meet his sister once when I was very young. She had married an American and moved to the U.S. after the war.
Oh! the scenario is just the first I flew with my Beau yesterday. I thought it would make a nice tribute. I was astounded about the sheer firepower in spite of watching "Whispering Death" You don't expect models to be as deadly. As soon as he got behind the Me it was toast. I hate to think what the one with the Observers tail gun would do.
Rob.

calm
08-24-2013, 15:15
Nice AAR, I specially liked the personal touch.

I will try some solo missions, to try the tactics for all the planes.

gully_raker
08-24-2013, 16:38
:thumbsup: Really great little AAR there Rob & I loved the personal story woven into it,
I can see you becoming a dedicated Beau Pilot now!;)
Incidently watch out for a WW1 AAR in the next week or so featuring a young Ltn. Triggers in a Sop Triplane. Got to wait for next month as I have used over 80% of my Broadband allocation & there will be lots of pics.:D

Marechallannes
08-25-2013, 03:01
Nice little AAR, Rob.

I see you played it without "rear gunner blind spot" option. Otherwise the Me 110's rear gunner options are very limited.

Used Blackronin's advanced solo rules for my WW II Pacific action and add one more enemy plane.

If your AI controlled planes have an Immelmann option, things can get very hot in a moment. :erk:

To play WW II with solo rules is tricky. I hesitate to start a BoB campaign at the moment.

Generally the Me110 is a good oponent for the Beaufighter.

I plan to play a few fights versus the Nakajima Ki-84 “Hayate” with my Aussi Beaufighter.

Flying Officer Kyte
08-27-2013, 01:41
Thanks for the encouragement and helpful tips chaps.
I will continue to try tentative missions with all the aircraft to test them out.
I will try to avoid any gaffes in the story lines , but please let me know if I make any bloopers.
Rob.

richard m schwab
08-27-2013, 13:30
Rob

Nice AAR.:thumbsup: I found how effective a Beau can be Friday night. :eek: We had Bismark Sea, game one Beau shredded or sunk four transports. I limited them to five forward attacks after my first firing run! I posted an AAR on it.

Rich

richard m schwab
08-27-2013, 14:09
Rob

Was his full name John James Perry?

Rich