PDA

View Full Version : Hello from sunny Adelaide

kawalski
08-16-2013, 21:51
Hello,

I thought it was about time for me to introduce myself. Like most of you I started playing Wings of War when in first came out (was it 05 or 06?). Friends showed me these beautifully painted aircraft & the rules system was not only easy to learn but fun as well but more importantly it "felt" right. Sure it wasn't the most complicated air simulation out there for the purists & it required fantasy flight to provide maneuver cards (I've never been a big fan of collectable card games) but my gaming group took to it straight away. We all bought aircraft & much fun & mayhem followed. Now personally while I enjoyed it I generally found it a bit of a beer & pretzels game, good for a few set pieces but with limited "campaign" appeal. Those campaign's we did play I found myself the victim of the "boom" card far too often, generally with little or no damage which took the shine of what was an otherwise fun game. So naturally after a period of time our enthusiasm for WoW waned & my gaming group moved onto other things. That was until recently when one of our group renewed our interest by bringing around a spanking new copy of the newly named Wings of Glory so we dusted of our old aircraft & took to the sky again where I proceeded to get shot down again just like I'd never left the game (how can you lose skills you never had). So my interest once again sparked this led me here.

Now I got to say I'm really impressed at what you people have done here. The files sections are excellent with lots of really good ideas for campaign material which should offer far more playability to my groups games than the old "fly what you bought free-for-all's" that was the general rule. I'm particularly impressed with the photo maneuver cards that should allow for third party "non-official" aircraft to be flown which from an early war campaign prospective is an absolute necessary unless your happy to fly only DH2 versus Fokker EIII for the first 6 months of 1916 but this is another story & perhaps better left for a different discussion.

Now as for me yes you guessed right I'm from Adelaide, South Australia (did the thread title give it away?), I'm 42 & been gaming for over 20 years. I enjoy anything from Fantasy to Sci-Fi war-gaming but with a particular interest in WW2. Apart from WoW I haven't found too many Aerial war games much to my liking although I recently got into Check Your Six which allowed me to indulge my interest in early war France & Battle of Britain, although the Jet Age book looks interesting & I'd be keen to try it out for WW1 if they ever produced a version of it.

Now I'll warn you that I'm not an obsessive poster, in fact I very rarely post on forums at all which should explain why it's taken me so long to introduce myself. I generally only post when I have something I'd like to know & haven't been able to find an answer for myself. So if you send me a question & I don't answer straight away I'll apologize now as I generally don't check my accounts that regularly. It's not that I'm not interested in what you guys have to say or don't find you a friendly helpful bunch I just prefer to be more of a Lurker & keep my ill informed opinions to myself (not too my gaming group to whom I regale with all sorts of half baked idiocy). Well enough of my babble, bye for now.

Regards

Noel Smith

Attila57
08-16-2013, 23:49
Welcome from Italy, Noel

Don't worry if you rarely post but don't forget to follow this forum. Australia Wing is an incredible group of chaps. I think you'll find here a lot of interesting ideas about WoG and even improve your knowledge of history

Have fun

Attilio

somaliavet
08-17-2013, 00:05
Howdy from soggy Kansas, Noel. We're more than happy to have an old veteran back on the flight roster!

Baldrick62
08-17-2013, 01:01
G'Day Noel,
Welcome from south Bucks. Get the steward to stow your kit; sounds like you already know your way around the 'drome.
BofB

Biggles downunder
08-17-2013, 01:16
G'day Noel, there are a few of us in Adelaide. What suburb are you in?

grumpybear
08-17-2013, 05:01
Hi from Alberta

kawalski
08-17-2013, 05:27
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Wayne, I'm in Morphett Vale, although we game at Plympton South. Some of my gaming buddies do roam this forum. If your real quiet & don't make any sudden moves you might spot one of them.

gully_raker
08-17-2013, 16:08
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Wayne, I'm in Morphett Vale, although we game at Plympton South. Some of my gaming buddies do roam this forum. If your real quiet & don't make any sudden moves you might spot one of them.

:salute: G'day Noel & may I offer a warm welcome to the 'drome from the pilots who fly in NSW!
Mate I know how you feel about the "Boom" card and at our Games Club we usually pull them from the decks for our club games particularly if we have new players.
For Campaigns the chaps here that run the Over the Trenches Campaign (see down in WW1 Campaign Disscussions) they have made cards that can result in all sorts of results if you do draw the dreaded Boom!
Check it out & there will be a File somewhere with the cards they use.
You could PM to F/O Kyte or Nightbomber who would be only too happy to give you a link.

Happy Gaming & dont forget to check out the Action Reports in the WW2 section if you like WW2.
Cheers & watch your Six! :fokker:

Baxter
08-17-2013, 16:13
G'day Noel,

Welcome to the posting side of things. Wish I had developed the art of being a lurker :-)

Smitch
08-17-2013, 17:07
Welcome from Ohio!

I also enjoy Check Your Six. I recommend Jet Age as well.

Naharaht
08-17-2013, 19:13
Welcome to the Aerodrome, Noel, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Dark Horse
08-17-2013, 19:41
Welcome Noel, I hope you enjoy yourself here!

Dwarflord22
08-17-2013, 21:57
Welcome to the Aerodrome from Texas! :salute:

MoonSylver
08-17-2013, 22:10
Welcome Noel! The beauty of the WoW/WoG system is not only the simplicity in & of itself, but that self same simplicity easily acts as a platform to allow you to alter things to suit your needs for things like campaign play, without having to alter the core mechanics. In fact, the more complicated systems I've been exposed to made it impossible for me to even get started really, as I felt like the system was "in the way" of my playing the game I wanted to play the way I wanted to play it.

WoW/WoG + this forum let me just jump right in & start learning, exploring, & making the game "mine" right away, & I hope it does the same for you & your players as well! :)

Flying Officer Kyte
08-19-2013, 01:15
Hi Noel.
Welcome to the Drome on behalf of the Squadrons based here in Dear Old Blighty.
Rob.

Carl_Brisgamer
08-19-2013, 04:26
G'day Noel from another 40-something gamer up here in sunny Queensland.

I hope you get plenty of opportunities to re-ignite your Wings of Glory experience. Please consider capturing your games on camera and posting an AAR sometime.

predhead
08-19-2013, 04:28
Welcome to the 'drome from another Smith!

kawalski
08-19-2013, 05:02
Again thanks for the welcome, it might even encourage me to post something occasionally. As for the dreaded Boom card we solved the problem by drawing two damage cards. A method that I think has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I'll have a look at the over the trenches campaign files & check out the cards they use.

calm
08-19-2013, 07:25
Welcome from Brazil !!! :salute:

BBSuds
08-19-2013, 07:41
Welcome to the 'drome, Noel. :clap:

Captain Chum
08-19-2013, 07:56
Welcome mate! :)

macka321
08-29-2013, 04:35
welcome from another SA gamer from the southern suburbs (Happy Valley)

Willi Von Klugermann
08-29-2013, 12:33
A belated welcome Noel. Good to have you with us.