PDA

View Full Version : Red Baron movie available in Canada/US

WilliamBarkerVC
06-26-2010, 20:53
Not sure if this has been posted already, it's news to me - I was able to find The Red Baron (2008 - Der Rote Baron), on blu-ray at my local Best Buy. I am off to pick it up tomorrow morning! (I might even wait in line starting at midnight tonight ... :D )

edit - According to web searches I did, it's only been available in North America since 1 June - so I guess I am only about a month behind ...

Air Battle Mgr
06-26-2010, 22:05
I think my wingman Kahler clan has this movie -- ordered it a couple weeks ago.

Kahlerclan
06-26-2010, 23:13
Red Baron, Richtofen and Brown and the Blue Max are waiting for you when you get back. Still like the Blue Max best :)

WilliamBarkerVC
06-27-2010, 07:02
Red Baron, Richtofen and Brown and the Blue Max are waiting for you when you get back. Still like the Blue Max best :)

What's this "Richtofen and Brown."? Is it available in regular channels, and is it any good?

Disregard - found it online at bestbuy.ca!

But I still ask - is it any good?

Kahlerclan
06-27-2010, 08:58
What's this "Richtofen and Brown."? Is it available in regular channels, and is it any good?

Disregard - found it online at bestbuy.ca!

But I still ask - is it any good?

The flying scenes are always fun, but they play a little fast and loose with history. The struggle to build some imagined tension between Brown and Richtofen was a stretch but its fun to have on in the background. I rate it a 6 out of 10.

gregbond77
06-27-2010, 16:56
You might also be interested in "Dawn Patrol" and "Hells Angels", two(WWI aircraft) movies from the 1930's also on DvD. Should not be too hard to find. Also if you go to you tube and type Aces High a world war 1 movie 01 in the search box you can watch the movie in 11 parts. It is not available as a region 1 DvD.

Willi Von Klugermann
06-27-2010, 20:42
The flying scenes are always fun, but they play a little fast and loose with history. The struggle to build some imagined tension between Brown and Richtofen was a stretch but its fun to have on in the background. I rate it a 6 out of 10.

Extremely loose if I remember. I think this is the one where Goering was responsible for Boelke's death.

As for The Blue Max....how could one not like it

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MMdPyEJGyhc/R-m14bexdDI/AAAAAAAAAOw/Az3tT1ngI1s/s400/Blue+Max+Ursula+Andress+3.jpg

What I wouldn't have given as a kid to be George Peppard.

RobH
06-28-2010, 05:12
I just lucked out and saw the "Red Baron" in store here in Nova Scotia last week, picked it up and watched it. I injoyed it but realized that certrian libirties were taken. Mind you I actually don't know alot about Richtofen. I will have to pick up the Blue Max soon though, I remember I liked it but it was so long ago I don't remember anything about it.
Rob H

WilliamBarkerVC
06-28-2010, 09:02
Bought it and watched it last night. Really impressed with the movie overall, think it might even top The Blue Max in my mind. The lovey stuff wasn't nearly as intrusive as it could have been - if anyone has seen Passchendaele now that's a love story with a bit of fighting and very annoying :)

Flying Officer Kyte
06-28-2010, 11:31

I just looked up "Brown and Richtofen" on Amazon and although they have it it is not compatible with most sets over here in G.B..:(
Rob.

leadpusher
06-28-2010, 18:36
I just received Red Baron from Netflix and there was not much of a wait for it. We must remember that these are movies and not documentaries. They are made for entertainment not necessarily accuracy.

FLt Brown
06-29-2010, 05:33
Has anyone seen the film Fly Boys the story of the American volunteer’s in WW1 this is based on the true story of a group of chaps who join the French air force and follows them through training and then into combat the attack on the Zeppelin is Ace and the general dog fight are great.
Defiantly one to add to the list!!!:D

LGKR
06-29-2010, 06:25
My major issue with both 'The Red Baron' and 'Fly Boys' was the romantic crap added in. Why do film makers feel that there has to be a romantic interest in the story? I think they sell the female audience short by always having to include that. My wife loved Band of Brothers which had no romance. I think it becomes cliché and tiresome to add that element to every story. The bond between the soldiers and pilots in these stories is compelling and the true stories are extremely interesting on their own. There is no need to “Hollywood it up” to make a good movie.

Galland
06-29-2010, 06:27
I saw Fly boys, and I love it!

Nice battle scenes!

It was about the Lafayette squadron

Flying Officer Kyte
06-29-2010, 06:48
I saw Fly boys, and I love it!

Nice battle scenes!

It was about the Lafayette squadron

This sounds like a must get.Anyone know of a source for it? Rob.

LewdDude
06-29-2010, 07:30
Has anyone seen the film Fly Boys the story of the American volunteer’s in WW1 this is based on the true story of a group of chaps who join the French air force and follows them through training and then into combat the attack on the Zeppelin is Ace and the general dog fight are great.
Defiantly one to add to the list!!!:D

I was lucky enough to convince my wife on our wedding day to go to the world premeir of Fly Boys. It's a good movie, but I have my gripes. The Bluray is a must! it's very pretty! Things I did not like, #1) "ALL" the Fokker Dr I's were Red, and the villan Fokker Dr I was black. The Director was there and answered the question as it made it easier for the viewer to identify the "bad" guys... Lame! #2)The cockpit shots were lame! when they would talk and interact with one another... but that's it. The rest of the movie is very good! The story, the back drop, all very good.

LewdDude
07-01-2010, 07:11
Just ordered my copy of Red Baron on Blu ray. Will have it by July 3! can't wait! So did this ever hit theaters? I remember a trailer, but never saw it listed in theaters...

Willi Von Klugermann
07-01-2010, 07:50
Didn't like flyboys.... the computer generated dogfights made the planes looked like they were going at mach 2.

When was Red Baron made ? This one escaped me.

IRM
07-01-2010, 08:31
2008. Don't think it had a theatre release outside of mainland Europe.

Willi Von Klugermann
07-01-2010, 09:08

Thanks IRM. I was just about to edit my previous post after seeing the opening post from this thread.

Won Wing Lo
07-01-2010, 09:39
I found The Red Baron movie at a Red Box vending machine for $1.00 here in Ft Wayne. I agree with whoever said they made too much out of the Brown / Von Richthofen angle in the film. But hey, for a buck, it was a good show! Gotta say, I did like it better than Flyboys.

Kahlerclan
07-01-2010, 09:56

It had a limited release in the US. I saw it at the local independent discount theater. It only ran for one week. That's what prompted me to buy it. the ending was the only real weak spot for me - there were so many opportunities to fill in modern research on what happened in his final flight but the director just skipped it altogether. The flight scenes are awesome and the battle over the trenches was amazing.

Willi Von Klugermann
07-01-2010, 11:15
Sounds like I'll have to start looking for it.

LewdDude
07-01-2010, 12:58
I just ordered it today from amazon.com and it shipped out of Allentown PA. It is being delivered tomorrow!!! I love Amazon!

LewdDude
07-02-2010, 13:21
was just delivered at my door step!!! cant wait to watch it!

bsmith13
07-02-2010, 17:59
This movie is available from Netflix, and you can stream it if you have that capability.

I have watched it a few times now. It sort of reminds me of a German version of "Flyboys". Both films are based on history, contain numerous references to actual events, and manage to ignore or mangle many of the things that actually happened. There aren't as many combat sequences in RB as there are in FB, but I think the CGI is better for RB.

Take my complaints with a grain of salt, because I liked it enough to go out and buy it. Since so few movies dealing with WWI aviation are available, beggars can't be choosers.

tuladin
07-23-2010, 10:32
Flyboys is available at hulu.com - you can stream it for free, but have to sit through commercials.

here's a link http://www.hulu.com/watch/145110/flyboys

Galland
07-23-2010, 10:48
Flyboys is available at hulu.com - you can stream it for free, but have to sit through commercials.

here's a link http://www.hulu.com/watch/145110/flyboys

DAAMMM!!!

How I hate the "sory only for USA" message...:mad:

Snowy
07-23-2010, 10:48
I enjoyed Red Baron, and Flyboys. I agree the digital rendering never quite matches the true grace of flight. Putting Hollywood aside, I would recommend both for your collection.

Red Baron was a lot better on the historical detail of the aircraft involved.

Of course, Blue Max is the classic of the bunch.

Sounds like I am going to have to look up "Dawn Patrol" and "Hells Angels" now.

tuladin
07-23-2010, 10:57
DAAMMM!!!

How I hate the "sory only for USA" message...:mad:

Sorry about that - I didn't know hulu.com only worked in the U.S.

Willi Von Klugermann
07-23-2010, 11:36
I saw it last weekend and wasn't that impressed. The detail of the planes was good but I'm not a big fan of the CGI...the planes maneuver more like stunt planes than the rickety contraptions that they were.

Craftorian
07-23-2010, 19:46
I just saw Red Baron streaming Netflix; loved it! Saw Flyboys and Blue Max a couple years ago I guess and remember liking both. But I'm a sucker for WWI flicks.

Galland
07-24-2010, 07:23
Sorry about that - I didn't know hulu.com only worked in the U.S.

No problem...

but its hapens to me more offen.....
Damm.....

Craftorian
07-25-2010, 19:52
I have seen several complaints about computer generated dogfights. I jsut showed some of those scenes to my boys tonight of Netflix and man they look real to me! I wish they took some more time to develop the historical development of his plane.