PDA

View Full Version : A thought about the pilot experience

Snowy
06-21-2010, 18:57
BONES OF A BIPLANE: This picture shows clearly the frailty of aircraft construction of the period. All that is displayed is wood. Add to this several hundred pounds of engine, highly flammable fuel, machine guns and explosives, it was an act of bravery just to fly these machines.

One of the attractions I have for this Genre of gaming is the admiration I have for the sheer intestinal fortitude of these pilots, of all nations. Only a few years earlier there were no aircraft.

Thoughts gents?

Air Battle Mgr
06-21-2010, 20:20
BONES OF A BIPLANE: This picture shows clearly the frailty of aircraft construction of the period. All that is displayed is wood. Add to this several hundred pounds of engine, highly flammable fuel, machine guns and explosives, it was an act of bravery just to fly these machines.

Thoughts gents?

Despite the missing picture, as my interest in the game has grown the obvious connection to reading WWI history has grown as well. I also fascinated by the stories of being downed by the fabric ripping off the wings.

I have yet to discover who transitioned to all metal aircraft first and what success they achieved. If anyone knows this story I would be interested to read it.

Timmy

Anav
06-21-2010, 22:24
Only for the brave and bold.

Flying Officer Kyte
06-22-2010, 00:23
You might try typing, metal aircraft into the search header here on the sight. Whilst not strictly all metal, the thread on the junkers A4 ? was a starting point for the development of metal aircraft.
Rob.

gregbond77
06-22-2010, 14:33
Not positive but I think the Junkers D-1, was the first all metal plane to see service. It was a low wing monoplane. They(Junkers) also made a two seat version.