PDA

View Full Version : Continious climb

mik
07-24-2013, 08:00
I have made mention of the "You can't play 2 steep maneuvers in a row" rule in other posts. Apparently my friend Andy says it's on page 7. I thought it to be a stupid rule at first. My opinion now is ok it's not so bad except when you want to climb or dive. P-38's and Thunderbolt's dived into compressibility dropping many thousands of feet in a dive. To go from 0ft to 30,000ft can take between 10 to 15 minutes or more depending on the fighter. Surely continious climb/dives should be an exception to the rule. I know a continued climb is a stupid maneuver in a dogfight even in a Me 262. You will be going slow anyone with a height advantage could get a shot at you.
mik the stick

Jager
07-24-2013, 08:55
Zoe Brain posted this back in April that might give you ideas:

The rationale is that there are two types of climb: first, the tactical climb or "vertical break", which isn't affected by the climb rate of the aircraft - all aircraft are equal. Then there's the smooth, steady sustained climb, the one where aircraft really differ from each other.

Aircraft doing "vertical breaks" - tactical climbs - have an effective climb rate of 6. Those with climb rates of over 6 can only do sustained climbs.
Aircraft doing "tactical dives" (but not reversals) can lose up to 2 pegs per dive. To lose only one, place a climb counter on the dive card.

Procedure for sustained climb:
Alternate slow straights with climbs, placing a climb counter on each. As you play the card, collect the climb counters. For each X climb counters, where X is the climb rating of the aircraft, go up 3 pegs. Round fractions down.
As soon as you cease a sustained climb, trade in all climb counters - an aircraft with 3 climb counters and climb of 4 gets 3/4 * 3 or 2 pegs.

Procedure for tactical climb (climb or reversal) - gain a peg.
If using the optional "Energy" rules,you may trade in all your energy for an additional peg. One only, no matter how many energy markers you have, as long as it's at least one..

Firing:
A difference of 1 peg does not affect range, but fixed rear-firing guns cannot fire if there's any altitude difference.
A difference of 2 pegs halves range except for dorsal and ventral guns and schraege musik.
A difference of 3 pegs prevents firing except for dorsal, ventral and schraege musik, which halves range.
A difference of 4 pegs prevents firing.
An aircraft fired at while doing a sustained climb takes an addition A damage chit.

Basically... in dogfights, you don't do sustained climbs. You disengage from the furball, then grab altitude in a smooth, steady, maximum climb attitude and engine setting. In practice,these rules simplify altitude. Nearly all climbs will be tactical, and it's simple. Climb - go up one. Dive - go down 2. Reversal - go up or down one, depending on whether Immelman or Split-S.

Karl

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-26-2013, 09:35
I was looking for this one cheers for posting it here Karl, saved some searching.

Jager
07-26-2013, 16:00
I was looking for this one cheers for posting it here Karl, saved some searching.
Glad to help.
Karl

mik
07-27-2013, 07:35
I replied a few days ago it must have got lost. This has given me all the ideas I need, thank you. No point in sharing them yet. My main opponent Andy is hard to convince that anything should be modified.
mik the stick

jhary
09-21-2013, 13:41
I play with this House rule with every move you decide Climb Level or Dive when you use maneuverscard like Climb or Dive the two red ones it gos on Level up or down. If you are to hig youre engine will cut out and you are gliding down Flip a Coin if you chose right youre engine will run again and you can continune if you are unlucky crash. if you are to low you crash. So you can climb in low rate or fast.